Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

toggle posted:

How do you guys think you guys (the US) will go in the coming months/year? Will you be able get it under control.. at all? Will the warmer months be the target to really start making changes?

Seeing the carnage everywhere is surreal, considering I'm in Queensland Australia where it's close to back to normal now.

And Vanuatu now has some cases :(

It's going to be another two months until there is anyone at the federal level that will even want to try to do anything about it so the spread will only get worse. The US will probably hit 2-3 thousand dead per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

toggle posted:

How do you guys think you guys (the US) will go in the coming months/year? Will you be able get it under control.. at all? Will the warmer months be the target to really start making changes?

Seeing the carnage everywhere is surreal, considering I'm in Queensland Australia where it's close to back to normal now.

It will be bad.

Even in states with strong trust in government, there's an urban/rural divide. And the rural folks don't give a poo poo.

Also lots of people and businesses are dying without a further stimulus bill. So even when businesses ostensibly give a poo poo, they are hosed, so it's a choice between "we close forever and our employees are homeless" and "public health" so compliance is low.

Basically, paying people to stay home is the only way through this. And the United States is broken and there's no chance of another stimulus bill - maybe ever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

America is too big to have a cohesive “the US will XYZ” it’s certain that the places that are currently doing good things will continue to do good things and the places doing nothing will continue to do nothing. The federal government will help and encourage places to do good things (which is a new development) but usually the places that are doing bad things or nothing will push back against that.

People in trump country will die more per capita than people with good local/state government. Cities are generally liberal/good governance strongholds compared to trump land. They also generally have higher risk factors like population density and travelers/tourists. Cities will also have more resources to help people who get sick.

So what you’ll see, of course, is a shitload of old people dying, a shitload of more people being infected, and willful denial of truth by Trump people and people whose interests are best served in the short term by ignoring reality.

It’s gonna get worse before it gets better but it will be much worse for republicans and the US as a whole because of Republican leadership being more keen on denying Coronavirus. In situations where republicans are in power (in office or in demographic), things aren’t gonna be good.

If you can imagine three lines: Perfect Government Response representing the lowest of the three infection rates and “Do The Worst Possible Thing or Nothing” representing the highest of the three, we’ll be somewhere above the midpoint between those things.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The only thing that will slow the rise in the US is the actual finite (if large) number of people. But reinfection is a thing, so even population size won’t slow it as fast as it could.

300k cases per day doesn’t seem far off now.

Spoke to a friend in Japan the other day, and he said that day the US had more new cases than Japan has had. Period.

naem
May 29, 2011

toggle posted:

the only way we make any changes whatsoever will be if this winter everyone in america personally knows someone who dies of covid, which at the rate we are going might happen

the only way this situation ends here is an effective vaccine gets roled out to the whole country

we’re looking at literally another year or two

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I can't remember who, but somebody occasionally posts in here with updates about how well Australia has been doing. We don't have community transmission, although we still have occasional cases from people returning from overseas, who get put in quarantine in hotels and other places until they're definitely cleared.

Well, our streak is over now, one of the "medi-hotel" workers got infected*, with four cases yesterday and 17 more found today, including people who were infectious and went to a hospital, a prison, a supermarket... The state where it happened hasn't had community transmission since April so I bet that most people haven't been taking many precautions lately. Fingers crossed it can be got under control quickly.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-16/coronavirus-adelaide-cluster-south-australia-what-we-know/12885978

*Technically not certain yet but one of the cases worked there so it seems the likeliest source

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

toggle posted:

Here's a graph of projected daily deaths from some couple week old modelling:

Note that there is no mask compliance, no mandates of any note, and the daily case numbers are already outpacing the model..

With 50 million travelling for thanksgiving, I don't think anyone knows how bad it's going to get.

Graph from https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-1132-9

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

https://twitter.com/edyong209/status/1328053979180380165

poo poo is real bad in the USA right now :catstare:
And there's still Thanksgiving and Christmas superspreader events coming up in a few weeks.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

We are so unspeakably hosed it’s impossible to put into words. ***Potentially problematic sentence removed.*** This will go down as one of the greatest atrocities in decades; if not more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 16, 2020

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/katieleebarlow/status/1327632527268438016

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
I was flipping through the tv channels and came upon a WNBA game. It was in an indoor stadium, with completely packed bleachers and I couldn't see one person wearing a mask. How the gently caress is this legal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FiskTireBoy posted:

I was flipping through the tv channels and came upon a WNBA game. It was in an indoor stadium, with completely packed bleachers and I couldn't see one person wearing a mask. How the gently caress is this legal.

That's a good question because I'm pretty sure WNBA season ended a while ago. AFAIK they played in a bubble just like NBA this last season so you might've seen an old game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

toggle posted:

They hit seven consecutive days of 100,000+ cases a few days ago and it's still business as usual

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

toggle posted:

The next few months are going to be really, really bad. We've been abandoned by our federal government. And many of the state governments actively fight any measures meant to contain the spread. There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel with the new administration coming in (unless Trump succeeds in his coup in which case we are hosed) but until then we are on our own and Americans just aren't cut out to handle any kind of real crisis anymore.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

toggle posted:

I'm in Alabama and I'm absolutely shocked we aren't at the top of the rona charts. I feel like that's due to lack of superspreader events where folks from more populous states pay us a visit because our covid response, mask hygiene, and general attitude are all trashfire level. We were closing rural hospitals before the pandemic and are utterly unequipped to handle strain proportional to what you're seeing in the news for places like El Paso. I'm living in a local hotspot and going nowhere outside of work and drive thrus unless necessary to survive. It's gonna get real bleak in the next few months. The plague isn't over.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's gonna be a real Dark Winter.

people are sick of me posting the The Division intro video, but just pretend i posted it again, forever

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

We should be panicking like crazy but it almost seems like election fatigue has everyone just accepting the inevitable disaster.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

eggyolk posted:

We should be panicking like crazy but it almost seems like election fatigue has everyone just accepting the inevitable disaster.

The people who saw this sadly predictable autumn/winter spike coming back in late spring and early summer are accepting the inevitable disaster because, well, the writing was on the wall as soon as it became obvious that Americans wouldn't endure even minor inconvenience let alone disrupt Big Family Traditions like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Everyone else just doesn't give a poo poo, apparently.

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

So she’s showing how we don’t need 50 people in a gym to excercise?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I hope you guys are doing your best to avoid all this fuckery. Can only imagine how stressed out you'd all be. :(

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think everything will just continue to chug along until DC becomes like NYC was in the 'bad outbreak time earlier this year. At that point something will be done by congress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

Let's just consider that sturgis was 250K people travelling.

Apparently, > 50 million americans normally travel for Thanksgiving. MOST ARE STILL PLANNING TO TRAVEL.

With higher positivity rates.

With higher exposure to vulnerable populations.

Amazing.

Yeah it's not looking good

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1328052903261728770
https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1328054272232140800

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ultimate Mango posted:

But reinfection is a thing

Speaking of that, you'll never guess which world leader got exposed again

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1328096750473719808

LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 16, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Instead of herd immunity maybe we need to go all in on herd infection. If everyone has it all at once, it can’t spread any more, can it?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
:stare:

Welp looks like I better increase the nonperishables stock from a few weeks' worth to a few months' worth

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1327976471567228929

Eh you probably couldn't afford the medical care anyway, they're practically doing you a favour

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

roll tide we're not on the list because we don't have enough hospitals to put up numbers

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With the way those states are going they should call that chyron “Charon”

because Charon ferries dead people across the river styx? This joke seemed funnier in my head

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Acheron?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FiskTireBoy posted:

The next few months are going to be really, really bad. We've been abandoned by our federal government. And many of the state governments actively fight any measures meant to contain the spread. There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel with the new administration coming in (unless Trump succeeds in his coup in which case we are hosed) but until then we are on our own and Americans just aren't cut out to handle any kind of real crisis anymore.

The federal government hasn't just abandoned people, it's also actively undermining states who are trying to impose restrictions

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1328150499250610176

E: even worse, he's urging people to rise up against Michigan's governor Whitmer, who was the target of that kidnap plot that the FBI foiled not too long ago

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 16, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

At first I thought it was about sacrificing people for “the economy” but it seems like it’s just sacrificing people for the sake of sacrificing people now.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1328307210347220992?s=19

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I guess we know why Pfizer's CEO dumped his stocks now. Stable at refrigerator temps, higher efficacy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Greatest Living Man posted:

I guess we know why Pfizer's CEO dumped his stocks now. Stable at refrigerator temps, higher efficacy.

Yeah, this seems like the much better vaccine.

Still, having two very effective vaccines in less than a year is great news in any case.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

jokes posted:

At first I thought it was about sacrificing people for “the economy” but it seems like it’s just sacrificing people for the sake of sacrificing people now.
The GOP stopped being the party of “gently caress you, got mine” awhile ago; now it’s just the party of “gently caress you.”

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Another Bill posted:

I mean, I knew Strugis was going to be bad but I didn't think it was going to be crumble-society-as-we-know-it in the midwest bad.

I'm not convinced Sturgis is to blame for much. Did Sturgis cause the massive spike in Europe? This spike would have happened with or without Sturgis. Cold weather, kids going back to school etc etc.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, this seems like the much better vaccine.

Still, having two very effective vaccines in less than a year is great news in any case.

The Novavax one has the potential to be better than both.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I'm not convinced Sturgis is to blame for much. Did Sturgis cause the massive spike in Europe? This spike would have happened with or without Sturgis. Cold weather, kids going back to school etc etc.

I mostly agree with you.

Sturgis definitely had an effect, as you can watch the cases per 100k explode outward from there in early August. However, a second spike was inevitable with kids in school, people switching to indoor activities due to cold, the election, and holidays. Sturgis just gave us a little push to get it to hit a little earlier and a little worse.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Has this been brought up here yet?

https://nypost.com/2020/11/15/drug-cuts-covid-19-deaths-in-hospitalized-patients-by-two-thirds-study/

Seems promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gov Wolf (PA) is making some announcement this afternoon, my gf is convinced that he's announcing a new statewide lockdown but I haven't heard anything about that so who knows. We desperately need it though.