Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

probably. just have them do an online battery check and they’ll prolly have you send it in. it’s overnighted both ways so super quick.

If they won't replace the battery for free, there's also the keyboard recall program to consider: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thauros posted:

"Service Recommended: The battery is performing normally, but its ability to hold a charge is less than when it was new. You may want to consider replacing the battery."

this is a 2019 13' mbp i've had for 11 months and i have applecare. can i get a free battery?

If it hasn’t been a year you don’t even need AppleCare. They will replace it free.

What does coconut battery show? I’m just curious as to the cycles and percentage.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

More RAM is going to have to wait for chips designed only for Macs. The M1 is (well, appears to be) an iPad/low-end-Mac crossover chip. It'll be called something else (A14X most likely) in an iPad, and some Mac-only features won't be used, just as some iPad-only features aren't used in M1.

But the thing which will stay the same is the memory interface. Judging by the (highly photoshopped) pictures Apple showed, just like the old A12Z iPad Pro chip, the M1 package has two sites for soldering on LPDDR4 memory packages. They're limited by the biggest LPDDR4x package they can get, and that is probably 8GB.

I don’t know if this is apples and oranges but this Micron release from a year ago suggests that higher capacities should be available.

https://investors.micron.com/news-releases/news-release-details/micron-unveils-industrys-highest-capacity-monolithic-memory

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

squirrelzipper posted:

E; question from a non hardware person tho, everything reads like Apple just lapped intel/AMD completely in watts/power, but this is essentially an iPad chipset with more room right? I’m confused how just now everyone’s going holy poo poo?

There's not enough information for anyone to go "holy poo poo", so if you see people doing it, take it with a huge grain of salt. There's a reason nobody seriously uses Geekbench to compare CPUs anymore unless they literally have to because of architecture differences, and even if those numbers are realistic, they still mean nothing for sustained workloads. Apple's presentation was so vague that if it were literally anyone else they would have been laughed off the stage.

They might hit it out of the park, and I kind of hope they do, but it's very clearly a public beta to anyone who's been around the block with them before.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If it hasn’t been a year you don’t even need AppleCare. They will replace it free.

What does coconut battery show? I’m just curious as to the cycles and percentage.

this is my fourth macbook and the only one i ever received that message with before was one of the old white polycarb base models that had user serviceable batteries

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 15, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's quite a few charge cycles. Does Apple really replace that for free if you don't have loopholes like the keyboard recall available?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fame Douglas posted:

That's quite a few charge cycles. Does Apple really replace that for free if you don't have loopholes like the keyboard recall available?

Within a year, yes. Within AppleCare, yes.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

cowofwar posted:

I don’t know if this is apples and oranges but this Micron release from a year ago suggests that higher capacities should be available.

https://investors.micron.com/news-releases/news-release-details/micron-unveils-industrys-highest-capacity-monolithic-memory

16Gb with lowercase-b means 16 gigabits (uppercase B would be bytes). So they're actually talking about 2GB capacity per die, here.

(It also talks about packages containing 64GB+3GB or 256GB+8GB. Here, the 64 and 256 are flash - they're putting DRAM and flash into one small package for smartphones.)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BobHoward posted:

16Gb with lowercase-b means 16 gigabits (uppercase B would be bytes). So they're actually talking about 2GB capacity per die, here.

(It also talks about packages containing 64GB+3GB or 256GB+8GB. Here, the 64 and 256 are flash - they're putting DRAM and flash into one small package for smartphones.)

Oh I see, yeah, most of that was over my head. Thanks.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Baronash posted:

Are these typically in-depth, or should I just expect a bunch of folks rushing to be the first one to post cinebench scores?

Depends on who you watch. Best general overview most balanced will be MKBHD. Jonathan Morrison will have more music production logic stuff examples my guess. Dave 2d will probably also have tough but fair tests and thoughts.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

cowofwar posted:

No reason other than margins and yields that Apple couldn’t put larger memory modules on the soc right? Seems like the next tier would have up to 64gig available. That would be amazing performance for large memory jobs given the latency.

they probably need a different memory controller for more than 16gb of ram. the one on the m1 is probably the exact same one as apple has been using on the a series up to now. if it could handle more than 16gb of ram they almost certainly would have made it an option on the mac mini at the very least. if i had to guess we won't see more than 16gb of ram until the m2. at least if they follow the same conventions as the a12x and a12z.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/m1-chip-emulating-x86-benchmark/

more unconfirmed benchmarks showing x86 emulation mode faster than intel chips

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

Depends on who you watch. Best general overview most balanced will be MKBHD. Jonathan Morrison will have more music production logic stuff examples my guess. Dave 2d will probably also have tough but fair tests and thoughts.

If you want actual benchmarks and impressions by someone that aren't just after short superficial use of a product they got for free, shallow lifestyle reviewers like MKBHD really aren't where you're going to get the real information.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 16, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's not enough information for anyone to go "holy poo poo", so if you see people doing it, take it with a huge grain of salt. There's a reason nobody seriously uses Geekbench to compare CPUs anymore unless they literally have to because of architecture differences, and even if those numbers are realistic, they still mean nothing for sustained workloads. Apple's presentation was so vague that if it were literally anyone else they would have been laughed off the stage.

They might hit it out of the park, and I kind of hope they do, but it's very clearly a public beta to anyone who's been around the block with them before.

This is the most sensible M1 take I've seen so far. Honestly I think will take at least 1-2 generations of M1 laptops before enough software is ported for the ecosystem not feel niche or barebones. Folks will say "I only use safari + photoshop.". But there are so many little add-ons and apps that will undoubtedly break and not be available and emulation not being working out the gate means everyone's stuck waiting for porta and fixes.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's a reason nobody seriously uses Geekbench to compare CPUs anymore unless they literally have to because of architecture differences

Is Geekbench not a good general look at processor speed? Just looking at the workloads, they seem pretty reasonable for what people do.
https://www.geekbench.com/doc/geekbench5-cpu-workloads.pdf

A mix of scientific FFT/MM, normal user html/pdf/image processing, and compiler/aes/synthetics for good measure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

El Mero Mero posted:

This is the most sensible M1 take I've seen so far. Honestly I think will take at least 1-2 generations of M1 laptops before enough software is ported for the ecosystem not feel niche or barebones. Folks will say "I only use safari + photoshop.". But there are so many little add-ons and apps that will undoubtedly break and not be available and emulation not being working out the gate means everyone's stuck waiting for porta and fixes.

this is true but I’d still say that 95% of mac buyers are probably not even going to notice a difference

Which is in no way a dig, just like the ecosystem will meet their needs

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MeruFM posted:

Is Geekbench not a good general look at processor speed? Just looking at the workloads, they seem pretty reasonable for what people do.

A mix of scientific FFT/MM, normal user html/pdf/image processing, and compiler/aes/synthetics for good measure.

I thought the issue was that geek bench scores integrate power consumption so great if you have a restricted thermal envelope but not as useful for assessing top performance in power or thermally unrestrained applications.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

MeruFM posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/15/m1-chip-emulating-x86-benchmark/

more unconfirmed benchmarks showing x86 emulation mode faster than intel chips

quote:

Despite the impact on performance, the single-core Rosetta 2 score results still outperforms any other Intel Mac, including the 2020 27-inch iMac with Intel Core i9-10910 @ 3.6GHz.

Yeah, I don’t know how this could possibly hold up given the presentation they gave. Look at the IPhone introduction, or the MacBook Air keynote. Those are pretty representative of how Apple acts when they are confident enough to say “this is the best thing out there, nothing comes close, and we’re two years ahead.”

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah, companies with a clearly winning hand are loud about it, whereas ones with a lesser product tend to be unspecific like apple was. Not that they don't have the resources to make a winning hand, they're absolutely dominating the mobile space, but their lack of confidence in their presentation doesn't inspire confidence.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
like with anything, it depends, and it's all about the package. a fanless air is pretty cool, and the performance - even burst - for a fanless notebook is probably going to be the only real game in town. the mini has a more difficult proposition but i'm sure it can hold its own especially given the noise and power level (back in the day even the old minis would pull like 9W total when idling, which was nuts for a desktop). imo the only real question is what the 13-inch pro is going to be like, especially under sustained loads, compared to intel models. this will give at least some data with which to consider what potential future products might hold

the rest of the lineup is going to be sufficiently different there's really no way to predict what they'll do

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is saying “The M1 is 3x faster than our current Intel laptop” not a pretty loud and confident endorsement?

I think you’re conflating the showmanship of Steve Jobs with company confidence.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, it seems like they’re in a hard spot because they can’t really say “our cheapest computers are faster than our most expensive and profitable computers”?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MeruFM posted:

Yes, but it's very easy to optimize for, and it simply doesn't run for long enough to tell you anything about sustained performance. Basically every android phone manufacturer has cheated a geekbench score at some point.

FCKGW posted:

Is saying “The M1 is 3x faster than our current Intel laptop” not a pretty loud and confident endorsement?

*compared to an "i3" of unspecified vintage, with unspecified power and thermal envelopes*

People in the tech industry don't use graphs with unlabeled axes when they're confident. Wait for benchmarks, however that shakes out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FCKGW posted:

I think you’re conflating the showmanship of Steve Jobs with company confidence.

The M1 is up to 3.5x faster than their current Macbook air. All of their comparisons to prior mac minis are to the discontinued i3 model. None of the comparisons of their new Macbook Pro are to any prior Macbook Pro. And they're freely intermingling these three, with only the footnotes to show which ones they're comparing for any given metric.

If a company ever says "up to" your bullshit alarm should be tingling, and if you gotta read the fine print to see what they're comparing, they're trying to spin because they can't make the claims they want to outright.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Thauros posted:

"Service Recommended: The battery is performing normally, but its ability to hold a charge is less than when it was new. You may want to consider replacing the battery."

this is a 2019 13' mbp i've had for 11 months and i have applecare. can i get a free battery?

Yes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Violator posted:

Yeah, it seems like they’re in a hard spot because they can’t really say “our cheapest computers are faster than our most expensive and profitable computers”?

they're not, lol.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

MeruFM posted:

Neat. That could be the tipping point where they felt comfortable enough to release arm mac and still being an upgrade even through emulation.

It's hilarious how much faster their chip is that they can brute force their way to compatibility.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they're not, lol.

Ah, I see. One of those “we’re technically correct with the specific language as we specified in our footnotes LOL” deals.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
We’re going to have answers to these questions in like two days, but for my use case I am pretty optimistic. The reality is that a 2018 iPad Pro can edit some formats of video better than my 2019 16” MBP (with the highest-spec graphics at the time + 32gb of RAM). For my use case I am excited to see how these perform (especially since the program I use, Resolve, is available day one) — and especially excited for their upcoming pro models.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol that this will trash microsoft's multiple attempts at a Windows ARM laptop

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Microsoft did a pretty good job of trashing that idea on their own tbh.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

shrike82 posted:

lol that this will trash microsoft's multiple attempts at a Windows ARM laptop

What attempts? They just released some bullshit without any confidence. Oh here's a lovely surface book with a weird version of windows that isn't compatible with anything. You might like it and this product will totally exist a year from now.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
iOS devs - is 16 GB enough to run Xcode and the iOS simulator with a screen full of safari tabs?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Coffee Jones posted:

iOS devs - is 16 GB enough to run Xcode and the iOS simulator with a screen full of safari tabs?

I'd think so

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grahm posted:

We’re going to have answers to these questions in like two days, but for my use case I am pretty optimistic. The reality is that a 2018 iPad Pro can edit some formats of video better than my 2019 16” MBP (with the highest-spec graphics at the time + 32gb of RAM). For my use case I am excited to see how these perform (especially since the program I use, Resolve, is available day one) — and especially excited for their upcoming pro models.

Wow, I didn't know Resolve was gonna be ready day 1. That'll be a really interesting comparison if the project files are portable. I have a low priority project I should use to transition over, Premiere gets on my last god drat nerve.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wow, I didn't know Resolve was gonna be ready day 1. That'll be a really interesting comparison if the project files are portable. I have a low priority project I should use to transition over, Premiere gets on my last god drat nerve.

Yeah same here, I’ve only ever kind of played around in resolve but I grabbed the 17b a couple days back and am starting a project that’s also not pressing in it. It’s so much more performant than Premiere, it’s crazy how much more responsive it feels. Lacks some things I’m used to but it’s a really nice piece of software, at least so far.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Coffee Jones posted:

I mean with everything unified paging should be fast as hell and the cache is huge so honestly unless your actual process actively needs >10 gigs at any time it should be faster?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Some Goon posted:

The M1 is up to 3.5x faster than their current Macbook air.

Specifically the 4 core i7 1060NG7 at 1.2 GHz:

Final Cut Pro / Xcode / Logic Pro / Adobe Lightroom (2, 4, 5, 6)
- * Very specific tasks using these four programs at certain settings, using the above intel CPU with 16gb RAM, and a 2tb SSD*

"5x Graphics^7":
- *7. Testing conducted by Apple in October 2020 using preproduction MacBook Air systems with Apple M1 chip and 8-core GPU, as well as production 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7-based MacBook Air systems with Intel Iris Plus Graphics, all configured with 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD. Tested with prerelease Final Cut Pro 10.5 using a 10-second project with Apple ProRes 422 video at 3840x2160 resolution and 30 frames per second. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of MacBook Air.*

The Macbook Pro has the same boiler plate, but using the 8th gen 1.7GHz i7.

Now as for why Tim Apple didn't just say, "Our new M1 will spank the pants off 15W and 25W Intel mobile CPUs," I dunno. :iiam:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 16, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So does the M1 chip mean mac gaming on steam is dead(er)? I already lost access to the one game I could play well on steam on my 2013 MBPr (Dungeons of Dredmor) when they switched to x64 code or whatever. Does M1 basically erase any and all compatibility for other games going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Depends on how much Rosetta sucks.