Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Facebook marketplace has become better recently which is kinda funny because it's been around forever. Feels like FB forgot it existed for a decade and only remembered it had this thing just now.

If anything this just illustrates how difficult it is for a new entrant to displace the incumbent in a winner takes all market like classifieds. Facebook can barely start to do it after 10 years and with an existing user base of billions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Femtosecond posted:

Facebook marketplace has become better recently which is kinda funny because it's been around forever. Feels like FB forgot it existed for a decade and only remembered it had this thing just now.

that would never happen

E: FB Marketplace isn’t built out as a Kijijijijiji clone, it’s product manifestation of patterns that emerged from Southeast Asia where they were using FB groups for buy & sell for ages, in occasional conflict with platform enforcers.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1326639197881421825?s=19

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1326639556486033408?s=19

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

I saw those tweets and still don't understand what they mean. I have a hard time believing that all those people who had to seek private mortgages, and then deferred, are all of a sudden solvent again. Doesn't make sense to me...what am I missing?

I also think Saretsky's profile is going to his head. While he is a bit contrarian as a realtor, he is still a glorified used house salesman with no formal training in business, commerce, economics, or, well, much of anything if his website profile is any indication. I'm guessing he's not hiding his PhD in macroeconomics and urban land management just for fun.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I imagine a lot of people either sold or saved but I'm surprised it's that low now. Regardless I'm betting we won't really see the pain until next year now.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Chances are that most of them are self-employed in non-medical fields. Healthy chunk of them who felt their income was potentially endangered would have deferred just for cashflow/flexibility but when push comes to shove very few will default.

Personally, if I lost my job, I'd be tempted to defer my mortgage if that was an option, but if it wasn't I'd just pay it from investments and I could sustain that for years / eventually sell if I really had to. Absolutely no chance of default ever.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Sassafras posted:

Chances are that most of them are self-employed in non-medical fields. Healthy chunk of them who felt their income was potentially endangered would have deferred just for cashflow/flexibility but when push comes to shove very few will default.

Personally, if I lost my job, I'd be tempted to defer my mortgage if that was an option, but if it wasn't I'd just pay it from investments and I could sustain that for years / eventually sell if I really had to. Absolutely no chance of default ever.

This. People were deferring because if you can, why not? Things were really uncertain. I'd be more curious about the default number trends.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Stating a percentage decrease without an associated time period is just weasel words.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Tsyni posted:

Lower mainland in BC is craigslist, Kamloops/Kelowna etc are Kijiji. Seemed bizarre when I realized this.

Victoria uses usedvictoria

I've lived a bunch of different places and the main classifieds website is often different from place to place, I've often wondered why

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I saw those tweets and still don't understand what they mean. I have a hard time believing that all those people who had to seek private mortgages, and then deferred, are all of a sudden solvent again. Doesn't make sense to me...what am I missing?

I also think Saretsky's profile is going to his head. While he is a bit contrarian as a realtor, he is still a glorified used house salesman with no formal training in business, commerce, economics, or, well, much of anything if his website profile is any indication. I'm guessing he's not hiding his PhD in macroeconomics and urban land management just for fun.

Yeah I've been thinking this more recently too, he's really doubled down hard on the "BoC is printing money, get into hard assets" narrative despite many people pointing out that the reality is far more complicated than he realizes. He also doesn't link any of his sources for his information which makes it difficult to verify what he's saying.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

This. People were deferring because if you can, why not? Things were really uncertain. I'd be more curious about the default number trends.

I would agree if there was no consequence. Surely this would be a mark against your credit and could jeopardize the rate you get? Moreover, it's not like it's a holiday...the amount owing gets kicked forward along with interest. The banks aren't giving anything away here. To defer, just because, seems risky if alternatives (like paying your mortgage) were available.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

Yeah I've been thinking this more recently too, he's really doubled down hard on the "BoC is printing money, get into hard assets" narrative despite many people pointing out that the reality is far more complicated than he realizes. He also doesn't link any of his sources for his information which makes it difficult to verify what he's saying.

He's definitely gone down the crypto rabbit hole, not exactly uncommon for "very online" males in the under-30 (35 now? the years go by...) demographic. Somewhat related consequence, Bitcoin's quietly(?) up ~100% in the last six months, although that apparently includes a big old spike in the last week so it probably won't be quiet for long.

But that has nothing to do with those HCG numbers, which are kinda "zero reason to think he's wrong / making it up", given track record of verifiably reporting them accurately through the late summer. Also came across some random Vancouver doomer account reacting independently to the same numbers, earlier, with "this can't possibly be real!"

https://twitter.com/zeroshorts/status/1326540024876167171

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sassafras posted:

He's definitely gone down the crypto rabbit hole, not exactly uncommon for "very online" males in the under-30 (35 now? the years go by...) demographic. Somewhat related consequence, Bitcoin's quietly(?) up ~100% in the last six months, although that apparently includes a big old spike in the last week so it probably won't be quiet for long.

I'll never understand the fixation of so many on bitcoin. Why pour your money into something with low security, high transaction costs, no ability to use to buy stuff, and no backstop, all on the basis of "GOVERNMENT BAD"? Seems like the records of the BTC exchanges isn't very good either.

Sassafras posted:

But that has nothing to do with those HCG numbers, which are kinda "zero reason to think he's wrong / making it up", given track record of verifiably reporting them accurately through the late summer. Also came across some random Vancouver doomer account reacting independently to the same numbers, earlier, with "this can't possibly be real!"

I don't dispute the numbers, they are what they are and I agree it's unlikely he just invented them (though I'd rather he cited stuff, but whatever). The dramatic shift in numbers is what made little sense to me, so the discussion here has been useful (at least to me, anyway). There is likely more going on here, but screaming 'Shenanigans!' from the rooftop does not seem indicated either.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

I would agree if there was no consequence. Surely this would be a mark against your credit and could jeopardize the rate you get? Moreover, it's not like it's a holiday...the amount owing gets kicked forward along with interest. The banks aren't giving anything away here. To defer, just because, seems risky if alternatives (like paying your mortgage) were available.

No credit consequences whatsoever. We have people defer every year just before or after Christmas cause they like to. Its foolish, interest-wise, but helps your cashflow. Better than going into delinquency and you don't have to come up with the money now, just makes the mortgage take longer.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Purgatory Glory posted:

No credit consequences whatsoever. We have people defer every year just before or after Christmas cause they like to. Its foolish, interest-wise, but helps your cashflow. Better than going into delinquency and you don't have to come up with the money now, just makes the mortgage take longer.

I didn't know that was possible. Makes me think the debt pickle is even bigger than I appreciated.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Previous companies I worked for were all infected by the cashflow mindset. Pay a sales guy a commission for selling something at a loss because number looks good for a bit because we pay every supplier one day before we go into arrears? Why not?

Really appalling to see it so widespread.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'll never understand the fixation of so many on bitcoin. Why pour your money into something with low security, high transaction costs, no ability to use to buy stuff, and no backstop, all on the basis of "GOVERNMENT BAD"? Seems like the records of the BTC exchanges isn't very good either.

Because people expect to get rich off it, and no other reason whatsoever. Anyone who knows anything about blockchain knows that BTC specifically is a deeply technically flawed currency and will not scale long term. But that doesn't stop everyone treating it like it's more solid than the USD. It's a gigantic pyramid and it will collapse at some point when the blockchain becomes too unwieldy.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It is just gold bug stuff for the millenial set. For all the uses that gold has, if you are the sort that has a surprising amount of gold hidden under the floor boards, it's utility in electronics and jewelry likely isn't why you have it.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

qhat posted:

Because people expect to get rich off it, and no other reason whatsoever. Anyone who knows anything about blockchain knows that BTC specifically is a deeply technically flawed currency and will not scale long term. But that doesn't stop everyone treating it like it's more solid than the USD. It's a gigantic pyramid and it will collapse at some point when the blockchain becomes too unwieldy.

Hey so how is that different from Vancouver rea

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

half cocaine posted:

Hey so how is that different from Vancouver rea

Well for one real estate has an actual purpose that transcends a get rich quick scheme.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

qhat posted:

Well for one real estate has an actual purpose that transcends a get rich quick scheme.

Yes absolutely. I wish you could convince all those microcondo ba

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/Indie88Toronto/status/1326963020141047808?s=19

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

This seems hilarious on a number of levels.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Guess they never adapted to a new Nermal

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Guess they never adapted to a new Nermal

ROFL!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BTC is a bit poo poo but a lot of the technology behind it and a number of the altcoins actually have some pretty cool use cases

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Alctel posted:

BTC is a bit poo poo but a lot of the technology behind it and a number of the altcoins actually have some pretty cool use cases

Such as

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Alctel posted:

source your quotes

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

bitcoin is just a loving git repository for your money

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Franks Happy Place posted:

As the original CanPol housing doomer who predated even Cultural Imperial, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm looking at buying a place on the Gulf Islands, so the bear trap is now fully loaded.

i relocated to salt spring for the pandemic. it's...ok

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

i relocated to salt spring for the pandemic. it's...ok

I worked there for a year. Interesting split between the crazy wealthy, tourists, and old school hippies living their best lives.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gulf Islands are probably one of the only places NIMBY anti-growth types probably have a point, due to the limited amount of water on the islands (maybe less Saltspring, but def the other ones).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

buying drugs right?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, wait, what about Ethereum CryptoKitties? You remember, the "game" where you breed jpegs of cats and sell them on the blockchain from 2017?

quote:

The kitty you bred is worth less that it cost to breed. Gas prices have made Cryptokitties almost unplayable right now. The transaction to put your kitty up for sale would cost more than its worth. Sorry.
O-oh.

quote:

Cryptokitties will move on to the FLOW blockchain making TX's much cheaper. Most CK players are waiting for that, lots of us are playing NBA Topshot now its from the makers of CK. I sold a $20 moment/card for $300 this morning.
I did not have "resurgence of sports cards (except virtual AND blockchain)" on my 2020 bingo card!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The other day some CBC radio programme had a story about a couple who had bought $20k worth of some college sports players cards, and then sold them for millions of dollars ten years later. My conclusion is that sports fans are loving insane and that couple was correct to grift them out of that money.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The other day some CBC radio programme had a story about a couple who had bought $20k worth of some college sports players cards, and then sold them for millions of dollars ten years later. My conclusion is that sports fans are loving insane and that couple was correct to grift them out of that money.

I had a coworker who was a gamblaholic and apparently the big thing now is you log on to a stream and they show an unopened pack of cards and you bid on it hoping to get some valuable ones. Seemed dumb as hell and taking out what little fun there seems in the hobby.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought the bottom fell out of sports cards years ago? Or was that only Baseball, a sport no one watches anymore?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I thought the bottom fell out of sports cards years ago? Or was that only Baseball, a sport no one watches anymore?

No, sports cards seem to be making a comeback. The phenomena being described is called a 'break' where they open card packs on live streams and you get to see the results of what you bid on.

I used to collect baseball cards as a kid. I loved the game so loved learning about the players, back before the Internet, when the information on the card was likely all you had, and when a subscription to The Sporting News gave you box scores for games that happened far away from you. Now, though, you have all the statistics you could ever want at your fingertips and every game is on the Internet, so the information the cards had is no longer such a big deal.

Anyway, I looked into collecting cards again this year...buying a box and opening them to see about the players. I gave up after seeing how many variations there were. Boxes of every shape and size of card, limited variants, exclusives, cards with bits of bat in them, others signed, some in foil...it just got to be too much that I just abandoned the whole idea. I don't know who the market is for that stuff, but it clearly wasn't me (a fan of the game wanting to know the players a bit better and enjoy some nostalgia.)

Edit: Ratings for all sports are down, I think, but baseball is still a decent draw. Not nationally, but regionally, baseball games on TV still do well. That said, the national interest level is awful, stars are ineffectively marketed (the best player you never heard of plays in LA on a team that doesn't make the playoffs and gets no TV time), and the fanbase is too old (though I think this is the case for other sports to a varying degree, but the average baseball fan is 50+). Baseball (and other major sports) used to be the big thing to go watch. Not anymore, when everything is televised, and the Internet can bring you more content you could ever hope to watch in a lifetime.

End of baseball thread snipe.

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 16, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

A carrier pigeon just sold for 1.6 million euros.

Auctions are for money laundering. No one actually thinks any of this stuff has any worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The train may not be steaming ahead at a steady pace but it's still in motion:

Home sales slowed in October but average price up 15% in past year, CREA says

The average price of a Canadian resale home has risen by more than 15 per cent in the year up to October, the Canadian Real Estate Association said Monday.

The group that represents more than 130,000 real estate agents across Canada said that last month was the busiest October ever for home sales, continuing a trend that started in May after COVID-19 lockdowns in March and April put the market into a deep freeze.

While sales plummeted in the early days of the pandemic, they have been on fire ever since. Some 56,186 homes changed hands during the month, bringing the total tally of 2020 as a whole to 461,818. That's the second-busiest 10-month stretch ever.

Sales continued to boom compared to normal levels, and prices seem to be doing the same thing.

The average price of a resale home sold on CREA's MLS system went for $607,250. That's up by 15.2 per cent compared to last October. Six provinces saw double digit gains and one — Manitoba — missed it by a hair, at 9.6 per cent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/home-sales-october-1.5803344