Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKF0IYwhrjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Was there ever any explanation for why he spoke in a kiwi accent?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dreddout posted:

Was there ever any explanation for why he spoke in a kiwi accent?

There are ton of expats in Hong Kong from all around.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's very accurate right now because the communist party kiboshed ant group because they know that giving the keys to your financial system over to the equivalent of U.S. payday lenders will lead to those same guys gleefully lighting your whole economy on fire

and isaac stone fish is whining about it while working for a think tank funded by big businesses

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I finished reading Red Star Over China which i found incredibly interesting. I feel like I understand something about why the communists won the civil war. That said, can anyone recommend a more recent and complete account of the Chinese communist revolution?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I don’t know if it exactly fits as it’s a more general history, but Maoism: A Global History is what I’m reading at the moment and it touches on the Chinese civil war and warlord periods, including why Red Star Over China is partisan without being wrong.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1327843410904973322

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
RCEP is pretty big deal. Most of the countries have FTA with neighboring countries already except China-Japan and Korea-Japan. Every time the 3 East Asia countries try to get closer and sign FTA or "Asian Monetary Unit" America would intervene and cockblock Japan. So RCEP is a backdoor way for China/Korea/Japan to get in a trade treaty together.

My conspiracy about Abe is that he promised the Americans he wouldn't join RCEP even though he knew Japan's economy really need that. So last year Japan used India as an excuse to delay the signing for a year. But this year Abe knew Japan couldn't delay it any longer. Japan would have to take a side economically. So Abe "got sick" just in time and step down, and his butler PM can sign it and get all the blames.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China aims for moderate export expansion, no longer focuses on surplus

quote:

BEIJING (Reuters) - China will no longer aim at achieving trade surpluses and solely expanding exports, but will pivot to moderately expanding imports for a balance between inbound and outbound shipments, a senior official from a state-affiliated think tank said on Sunday.

“This will not only help China to take the initiative in the new round of economic and trade negotiations, but also help promote the internationalisation of yuan,” said Huang Qifan, vice chairman of the China Center for International Economic Exchanges, during a financial forum.

quote:

Big exporting countries might “not be economically powerful”, as their exported products could be labour-intensive or processed using imported raw materials, Huang said.

Instead, large importing economies are generally powerful, partly as their currencies are directly used in settlements of transactions, he said.

I see the push to increase worldwide use of the yuan is underway. Although I wonder how successful it will be without loosing the current capital controls in place.

Asia Today: S. Korea begins fining people not wearing masks

Also anyone not wearing a mask in Korea will be fined $90.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hell yes Chairman Xi please give us cheap electronics imports and free shipping from Aliexpress

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Purple Prince posted:

I don’t know if it exactly fits as it’s a more general history, but Maoism: A Global History is what I’m reading at the moment and it touches on the Chinese civil war and warlord periods, including why Red Star Over China is partisan without being wrong.

Thanks, I'll check it out

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Purple Prince posted:

How do you like it? Especially fo the chapters outside of China? I noticed it's available on audible.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/bill_hayton/status/1327650278036959234

This has got to be the one of the funniest claims I've seen a China watcher make

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i appreciate dick wolff pointing out that his peers in academia are extremely racist towards the chinese

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OhFunny posted:

I see the push to increase worldwide use of the yuan is underway. Although I wonder how successful it will be without loosing the current capital controls in place.

I think there is less interest in common usage of the Yuan, but particularly importer countries to use it more as a reserve currency (which it is one already).

Obviously, the question also becomes how China continues to grow without utilizing exports as its source of capital, and with the latest moves by Beijing it very well may be that Chinese private companies will have to fill in the gap or else. That said, I think RECP was balanced in a way that it included about a equal number of countries that had significantly higher wages that China and those with significantly lower wages allowing China to retain some time of comparable advantage but making much of SE Asia reliant on exporting to the mainland.

(That said, I think the RECP is a clear sign that any real attempt by the US at "containing" China has failed.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

hell yes Chairman Xi please give us cheap electronics imports and free shipping from Aliexpress
it's hard to understate how stupid donald trump is. he spent four years freaking out about china, thinking he was tough by imposing sanctions and tariffs meanwhile he hosed up the TPP and china just pulled off the largest free trade agreement ever with zero place for the united states. this is like un-recoverable.

the best the U.S. could do is rejoin the TPP successor the CPATPP but congress isn't likely to go for that and it would still be second fiddle without china, who now have their own agreement that's better for most of the countries involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71FE_G1mE2U

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hooting and hollering for the imminent collapse of the American empire, but does that trade deal actually change anything of significance? Everything I've read is long on symbolism and short on particulars.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's hard to understate how stupid donald trump is. he spent four years freaking out about china, thinking he was tough by imposing sanctions and tariffs meanwhile he hosed up the TPP and china just pulled off the largest free trade agreement ever with zero place for the united states. this is like un-recoverable.

the best the U.S. could do is rejoin the TPP successor the CPATPP but congress isn't likely to go for that and it would still be second fiddle without china, who now have their own agreement that's better for most of the countries involved

Granted, getting out of the TPP was probably the right domestic decision to make and was one of the calls that probably gave him the presidency by giving him the Rust belt (Biden would have probably lost if he brought it up again publically). Arguably, it has been the result of a process since the formation of the GATT/Bretton woods that more and more of the American public would grow hostile to unfettered foreign trade until it became a wedge issue.

It is also why I am doubtful a full FTA is going to happen with India for a variety of reasons (especially IP enforcement on pharm and the generally protectionist nature of the Indian economy), but also just generally hostility of the American public.

It is an issue China may also have in the future, but they also have the tools in place to mitigate it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Nov 16, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the TPP was a poo poo deal for anyone except multinational corporations. there just happened to only really be any of those in america and japan among its original signatories plus maybe australia and canada

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Nov 16, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The TPP getting signed in 2017 before RECP would have been made a decent dent but still not as important as you think. ASEAN has much higher total trade volume with China than with the US, like twice as high. Also the negotiation of RCEP took almost 10 years. So it isn't exactly a surprise. The pan-Asian trade gravitates toward China is inevitable. Bottle line, East and South East Asian countries care about doing business and "development" more than other part of the world.

However RCEP is really important to 2 regions, first Japan, because Japan now finally has a FTA with China and with Korea thru RCEP; 2nd is Taiwan. Taiwan is now totally shut out of all regional trade agreements, and Taiwan is not likely to get in any without an approval from Beijing. DPP and Tsai is never going to get an approval from Beijing given how bad the relationship is now. A lot of Taiwanese business outside of the tariff free electronic/semiconductor would have to make the tough decision of building new factories in either mainland or ASEAN due to RCEP.

The only kind of trade agreement Taiwan is holding on right now is ECFA between mainland and Taiwan, back when it was signed between Beijing and the ruling KMT government 10 years ago DPP demanded a sunset cause. The irony is it's set to expire this year and it doesn't look like Beijing will renew it with the DPP government. Since KMT is so severely destroyed by DPP recently, I think Xi the Pooh will slowly move on to the the "starving" stage of the reunification masterplan.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Nov 16, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

Hooting and hollering for the imminent collapse of the American empire, but does that trade deal actually change anything of significance? Everything I've read is long on symbolism and short on particulars.

It's not so imminent yet because RCEP still has to be ratified over the next two years in the individual member states.

Granted, it's unlikely that there's going to be enough political movement in any of the countries involved for such ratifications to be derailed, or for the US to do anything to try and head it off, but the "pain" does get delayed by just that much.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/PaulJNadeau/status/1328146678730215424

holy god these people are idiots we spent a solid month on susan rice for vp hype what the gently caress did they think was going to happen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/josungkim/status/1326755336095637505

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i hope the rcep does raise the standard of living in those countries because it will only hasten humanity's extinction through resource consumption and thus climate change

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Relin posted:

i hope the rcep does raise the standard of living in those countries because it will only hasten humanity's extinction through resource consumption and thus climate change

hmmm

that isn't a nice sentiment

me own mum went to papua and tried in an extremely white and christian way to help educate children

nice nihilism though i guess

i really hope they do have an improvement in qol and maybe survive some kind of climate change based awful weapons exchange

as for you and i well we're both poo poo posters

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulJNadeau/status/1328146678730215424

holy god these people are idiots we spent a solid month on susan rice for vp hype what the gently caress did they think was going to happen

you should be less credulous, the guy's argument is that Susan Rice privileged the Chinese above the Japanese and other Asian allies when dealing with Asia.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That reminds me of the buzz about how China and the United States would form a "G2" during the Obama years. Where as the number one and two nations in the they would work together to hash out global issues.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not so imminent yet because RCEP still has to be ratified over the next two years in the individual member states.

Granted, it's unlikely that there's going to be enough political movement in any of the countries involved for such ratifications to be derailed, or for the US to do anything to try and head it off, but the "pain" does get delayed by just that much.

Most trade deals in recent years were a mixture of mandatory ball torture for drawing the Mouse without compensating Disney and the establishment of the right to expected profit while even the most optimistic projections by the most shameless economists end up with no more than couch money as an overall economic effect. And those economies are already pretty integrated so I don't see how somewhat lower tariffs are going to change the big picture.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

If you think that a breakup of China would be good for anyone except in the most narrow sense of it strategically benefitting China's regional adversaries, then yes you're being pretty naive. The breakup itself would be intensely violent and kill millions as people fought over everything from state assets to the final borders. All of the smaller states that resulted would have tons of reasons to try to pick off their neighbors or expand at their expense, which would lead to basically a new Warring States period. Without the Chinese economy international trade would get really hosed, leading to bad economic problems across the world.

I mean, poo poo, for a best case scenario where China isn't an integral part of the world economy look at the scale of the human suffering that took place following the collapse of the Qing dynasty. The opportunistic invasion by Japan was very much part and parcel of all that.

Would some people benefit? Yes. A ton of ethnic minorities would stop having their cultures hosed with. I'm sure tons of Uyghurs and Tibetans would applaud it. That's more of a silver lining than anything else, and even that is going to have a huge disruptive impact as ethnic and cultural groups try to sort themselves in a new post-China landscape. The partition of India is a pretty good modern example of just how ugly this can get.

China has a ton of problems and god knows the Chinese government does some hosed up poo poo, but the answer to that is to reform it - even if reform means throwing out the entire government and starting new - not trying to break it up into numerous smaller states.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

You think this is going to be allowed to happen with a warmongering austerity rapist in the white house?

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Tibet would love to be a feudal theocracy again, and the Islamic state of east turkestan would be freakin baller

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

Some Guy TT posted:

Would some people benefit? Yes. A ton of ethnic minorities would stop having their cultures hosed with. I'm sure tons of Uyghurs and Tibetans would applaud it. That's more of a silver lining than anything else, and even that is going to have a huge disruptive impact as ethnic and cultural groups try to sort themselves in a new post-China landscape. The partition of India is a pretty good modern example of just how ugly this can get.

State divisions based on Ethnic groups always work out super well. Just look at the caucuses and the former yugoslavia!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LittleBlackCloud posted:

State divisions based on Ethnic groups always work out super well. Just look at the caucuses and the former yugoslavia!

Yeah Bernie clearly won but Pete just declared victory anyway

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/newbloommag/status/1328321931687260162

I repeat my question about the tail wagging the dog:

Maximo Roboto posted:

Has anyone in the past decade criticized Foxconn/Hon Hai as sort of Taiwanese colonialist exploitation of mainland Chinese labor? I've never seen that politicized angle mentioned in English media, but if you kinda squint at it it's pretty ironic, at least at the beginning of the 2010s, for a wealthy Taiwanese corporation running industrial sweatshops in the PRC to make iPhones and other electronics for American consumers.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Relin posted:

this is ecofascism through nihilism and you should reexamine your views

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

sincx posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1328179859034497026

ahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaha

all of these chinese "dissidents" are turning out to be right-wing idiots who are just as authoritarian as the CCP, except they stan for white anglos

not seeing how his analysis of biden's campaign - where he shat himself on camera and had to hide for weeks at a time due to severe bouts of dementia - is wrong?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The RCEP will probably abolish tariffs on 61 percent of agricultural imports in ASEAN, 56 percent of those in China, and 49 percent in South Korea. The RCEP is also expected to reduce or remove tariffs on industrial goods such as automobile parts, steel, and chemical products.

im sure someones gonna get owned by this free trade agreement somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
LOL the Ai family are kind of distant acquaintances of my family, we had his brother over for dinner once, they're all privileged princelings.

That's it, that's my story.