Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

I gave that book to Lorenz and I'm pretty sure he loved it!

What? I have never heard of this theory and I never read Ferdinand as anything but the straightest of cishet dudes. I find it a whole less plausible than Ferdie being a groupie who wants to shower his idol with attention in the most over-the-top way possible to humor her/signal his interest in her.

Look at his first talk with Constance too: he's obviously still got some manner of feelings for her from back when they knew each other and comes out of the gate with the most poetic and hamfisted of lines.

I mean, as a character he might, but it isn't on his list of preferred gifts (Rose, Floral Adornment, Tea Leaves, Book of Sheet Music)- it's only on Edelgard's list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Shinji117 posted:

I mean, as a character he might, but it isn't on his list of preferred gifts (Rose, Floral Adornment, Tea Leaves, Book of Sheet Music)- it's only on Edelgard's list.

Hmm, odd, I was almost positive that book got me the double arrows support icon and he reacted as if it was the best gift ever. Maybe I'm confusing it with the sheet music book

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Hmm, odd, I was almost positive that book got me the double arrows support icon and he reacted as if it was the best gift ever. Maybe I'm confusing it with the sheet music book

Probably that. Edelgard being the only person who enjoys the Monarch Book is one of those weird small facts that stuck in my mind since I first looked it up. It's a pretty interesting minor character detail for her (and the other various "leader" characters) for something so tiny: Edelgard is the only one aiming at creating a whole new system of government so yeah she's going to be interested reading up on governments. Admittedly this could be reading too much into a small detail that could have just been coincidental/accidental.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 16, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, what's this? Cyril actually appears in main story scenes during verdant wind??

From his support list i kinda always got the feeling cyril was an unofficial golden deer unit but i didn't expect it to go this far.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Deltasquid posted:

I gave that book to Lorenz and I'm pretty sure he loved it!

What? I have never heard of this theory and I never read Ferdinand as anything but the straightest of cishet dudes. I find it a whole less plausible than Ferdie being a groupie who wants to shower his idol with attention in the most over-the-top way possible to humor her/signal his interest in her.

Look at his first talk with Constance too: he's obviously still got some manner of feelings for her from back when they knew each other and comes out of the gate with the most poetic and hamfisted of lines.

Basically started with this picture, I'd link the artist's twitter but unfortunately they deleted it.

But the gist of it is Ferdie has a lot of things that as a trans women you can see as signs. His note about how he just wanted to let his hair grow out. His admiration of Dorothea and Manuela. His rivalry of Edelgard, which with this reading is more him wanting to be Edelgard. Basically a lot of little things that if you're trans you look at and go, huh, yup.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Amppelix posted:

Huh, what's this? Cyril actually appears in main story scenes during verdant wind??

From his support list i kinda always got the feeling cyril was an unofficial golden deer unit but i didn't expect it to go this far.

I know a lot of SA users aren't into fanfiction but I just reread this one today and you mentioning Cyril and the Golden Deer gives me an excuse to link it: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24625273/chapters/59492041

Cyril can be mad annoying in the game but this fic makes him incredibly endearing. It's 15K words about Cyril's relationship to Almyra and Claude over the course of the game and it's so worth the read.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sudden Javelin posted:

Hubert is right there

Hubert/Ferdinand is fun because if you take the two of them (and El) out of Fodlan it’s a very classic “two high level government officials with very different methods and morals argue constantly but fall in love behind the back of the queen” story.

Honestly many 3H characters could be the star of their own story. For example, Caspar is clearly meant to be a shonen protagonist, Annette is definitely meant to be the star of a very uplifting shojo manga (compete with her own “grumpy guy who is bad with expressing feelings” love interest, Felix), and Lysithea is a magical girl (her post-time skip outfit is basically already her transformation outfit)

And Sylvain would star in a deconstructed version of a harem where instead of getting with his true love he just winds up hollow and sad and alone because he doesn’t trust women

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 16, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

And Sylvain would star in a deconstructed version of a harem where instead of getting with his true love he just winds up hollow and sad and alone because he doesn’t trust women until he realizes he's gay and starts dating his childhood best friend Felix.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Leonie is the lead in a sports manga for sure, Dedue is the star of a critically acclaimed manga for adults about someone trying to connect to their heritage through food, and Marianne is a gothic horror protagonist.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm just going to take the opportunity to share that my phone background is fan art of Dorothea and Sylvain with the former dressed as a Dark Knight and the latter in the Gremory outfit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DC Murderverse posted:

Leonie is the lead in a sports manga for sure, Dedue is the star of a critically acclaimed manga for adults about someone trying to connect to their heritage through food, and Marianne is a gothic horror protagonist.

Rhea is the star of one of those morality play horror manga like Franken Fran

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Zore posted:

Does this also make Edelgard Enma Ai from Jigoku Shoujo as well as Lelouch? :v:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Rimusutera posted:

I'm just going to take the opportunity to share that my phone background is fan art of Dorothea and Sylvain with the former dressed as a Dark Knight and the latter in the Gremory outfit.

Post it!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While less far from the source material, Felix is a Fire Emblem Lord. Blue hair? Check. Swordsman? Check. Dead parents? Check. Blue blood? Check. Special in some way? Check. Unique sword? Check. Possible Pegasus Knight love interest? Check.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What? Felix doesn't have a unique sword, he has a rock.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

What? Felix doesn't have a unique sword, he has a rock.

Sword of Moralta.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Zore posted:

Rhea is the star of a Chick tract. (Spoiler: Edelgard goes to hell.)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Inu posted:

Oh no! She’ll look terrible with green hair!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Inu posted:

https://twitter.com/edieshornycrown/status/1328419856341929988

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Speaking of poorly done comics, here's a slide from one of my recent ESL classes that I teach, featuring Lizzy and Kaylib.

(I'm 99.9% sure none of my high school students know or care what a Fire Emblem is.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I hope there's ONE student who knows and is going crazy with the knowledge, but no one else cares.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I 100% believe that Claude would watch telenovelas.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I 100% believe that Claude would watch telenovelas.

Absolutely.

night slime
May 14, 2014
How do hero's relics restore uses? I vaguely remember the Thunderbrand restoring somehow but don't remember what happened. Is it just Resting like Blyeth's?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

night slime posted:

How do hero's relics restore uses? I vaguely remember the Thunderbrand restoring somehow but don't remember what happened. Is it just Resting like Blyeth's?

You can repair most of the Hero's relics with Umbral Steel.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

night slime posted:

You can repair them with Umbral Steel (or Agarthium for specific ones) and all weapons equipped by anyone (not just the deployed characters, so stack up your benched characters with gear that you want repaired) get a full repair over the timeskip without you having to spend any resources.

If there was a time a weapon got a repair without you doing it and you can't remember how it happened, it was likely the timeskip repair.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Shinji117 posted:

You can repair them with Umbral Steel (or Agarthium for specific ones) and all weapons equipped by anyone (not just the deployed characters, so stack up your benched characters with gear that you want repaired) get a full repair over the timeskip without you having to spend any resources.

Ah poo poo that's good to know for new game+. Yeah, it must have been the time skip that notified me about Catherine's blade.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Items also get restored so if you have a burning need for torches and vulneraries throw them on some dudes.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I never knew about Hero's Relics being restored from the time skip.

But that's probably because I hoard them too much. I should maybe actually use them sometimes??

I should probably also play my next game either as New Hard or New+ Maddening. As much fun as I've been having experimenting with weird unit builds in New+ Hard games, I think I want more of a challenge for my next game.

Is New+ Maddening probably still harder than a fresh Hard game?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Inu posted:

I never knew about Hero's Relics being restored from the time skip.

But that's probably because I hoard them too much. I should maybe actually use them sometimes??

I should probably also play my next game either as New Hard or New+ Maddening. As much fun as I've been having experimenting with weird unit builds in New+ Hard games, I think I want more of a challenge for my next game.

Is New+ Maddening probably still harder than a fresh Hard game?

Yeah, it's much harder unless you go crazy with skill inheritance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's much, much harder but very doable. I did it while only using dumbass ineffective unit builds on crimson flower (and it was a struggle and a half). if you actually build to everyone's strengths and fully take advantage of all the OP options the game gives you, you should be fine. But you may not like playing like that in the first place.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Hoarding is a mistake, especially when you have access to resources to repair things.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
If I don't have 99 of a thing my life is empty.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Rimusutera posted:

Hoarding is a mistake, especially when you have access to resources to repair things.

It really is, but I do it anyway.

Playing rogue-lites taught me not to do it as much, but I think it's still an ingrained habit from all the JRPGs I played back in the day where you could power through by being over-leveled, thereby negating the need for items.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

It really is, but I do it anyway.

Playing rogue-lites taught me not to do it as much, but I think it's still an ingrained habit from all the JRPGs I played back in the day where you could power through by being over-leveled, thereby negating the need for items.

Yeah, most RPGs are made around the expectation that you use powerful healing items instead of hoarding them but then don’t push you enough that you’d want to heal up your MP mid-fight or heal all your HP and not just like 2/3. I think Binding Blade Hard is what broke me out of that mentality, because it’s not like the hardest thing ever in a post-New Mystery Reverse Lunatic world but it’s still enough that I just stopped doing the bad Fire Emblem gameplay habits. Well, a lot of them, I still promoted at level 20...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Playing toward the end of my first game on hard/classic, hoarding all the relics feels like one way of keeping just a little bit of challenge/thought in the combat system at this point. If I used all the OP stuff it'd be even more of a sleepwalk. From what you all say about Maddening I probably wish there was something a little bit in between hard and maddening.

How much shorter did you all find your first ng+ run to be, compared to your original run? I want to spend enough renoun to skip most of the monestary-explore, lost items/gifts/teaparties time but not enough to where the combat becomes a joke with a bunch of level30 guys vs level 3 enemies. Hopefully there's enough to do that?

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 19, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You can buy back your support ranks with students, so you can recruit anybody you A-ranked last time from the get-go and won't have to feed them. You can buy your Professor Level for more money and exploration points, so you can train your skills up faster and have three battles available on battle days. You automatically keep your statues, so depending on what you bought, you might have a big XP bonus to cancel out Maddening giving less XP. Since XP depends on level, you won't be in danger of being overlevelled anyway.

You can buy back any skill levels and mastered classes you had before, if you want to give someone a quick start.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
My mortal savant-in-progress Felix is turning out to be an absolute monster. He's had good strength, magic, dex, and speed growths, and between Fiendish Blow and Lifetaker I suspect that when he promotes into Mortal Savant he will be unstoppable.

Annette is pretty weird and powerful as a wyvern rider with fiendish blow and Lightning Axe. It works bizarrely well with training axes and iron axes, which have a lot of uses and are dirt cheap, but let her do single hits for ~40 damage with 100% accuracy. Sometimes I have to switch to doing a physical attack instead if I need to double an enemy, but the versatility is really handy.

The third weird build I'm happy with is Bernadetta as a fortress knight. Her personal skill means you can take a bit of damage from magic or by using a Devil Axe and then destroy melee and archer enemies with impunity. She has good archery too, so I'm looking forward to when she becomes a great knight and can serve as a sort of mobile death turret. She's also absolutely adorable in heavy armor, like a shy beetle.

I definitely agree that there could be a very hard mode that's below maddening, though, because new game+ feels a bit too easy.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Saw Blyeth had a 34% chance of passing a master class and said gently caress it and clicked it. She passed...being able to go back in time is awesome for tests I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Byleth should use their powers to win the Fódlan lottery and double the money at Fódlan Vegas.