Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wish there was an option to just wander around the ESO world in single player mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

If you take ESO as canon then no, Seyda Neen exists in the 2E, well before the 3E Nerevarine.
Interestingly enough the initial plan for Seyda Neen in ESO was to have the architecture be more Dunmer, but then decided to make it look close to how it was in Morrowind, though at least they took some steps to justify it in-universe.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I really want to walk around ESO and experience its world but I wish the game itself was just... More fun

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think the civil war would end that way. Ulfric's goal isn't to reinstate Talos worship, which is still practiced widely across Skyrim despite the legality of it; it's to become High King of Skyrim.

The war's going to end when either he's King and the Empire concedes, or he dies and the rebellion can be quelled.

:effort: way would be that windhelm gets burned down by a dragon killing Ulfric, after Ulfric uses some shouts to fend off a raid or something. You could have some of the others holds get torched as well and have the empire saddled with a skyrim that's basically a massive basketcase anyways negating whatever advantages from reconquest.
Anyways my feeling is that skyrim is a complete dumpster fire of questionable value outside of falkreath, whiterun, solitude and the reach.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 15, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The absolute big brains of sacrificing everything to keep a glorified mining colony, grand theft honey city, racism town, and a couple of failson nerds hiding on a stupid looking rock.
Such an incredible loss.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wait which one is the mining colony

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dawnstar has a mine, so does Markarth

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

ThaumPenguin posted:

Wasn't Seyda Neen canonically a very recent settlement? Like I remember something about it only having been around for like twelve years by the time the Nerevarine steps off the boat.

This post confused me and I did some uesp diving and I can find nothing to back that up. Maybe you just assumed that because the architecture isn't very Dunmer and the place is crawling with Imperials? It does tend to give the impression that it's a hastily constructed Imperial port, but there's nothing saying that it's recently constructed that I could find.

John F Bennett posted:

I wish there was an option to just wander around the ESO world in single player mode.

By default player names above characters is turned off, which I only learned when I started an alt recently. It's still kind of obvious they're other players most of the time but it's easier than you'd think to confuse a lot of them for npcs. Especially since so many people just idle in weird places like a Bethesda npc. With the names on, it's hard to ignore people like "Jedi Knight Yolo" or "Skyrim L E" which are both actual character names i saw yesterday.

ESO lore is really good and I'm glad I started playing it despite my distaste of MMOs. There's so much fun and interesting stuff to interact with, and honestly I'd feel I got my money's worth if it was just Elsweyr alone. Everything else is bonus.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Iirc Vvardenfell had only recently been opened for settlement by outlanders a couple decades ago, they make a deal out of how foreigners used to be restricted to just the Foreign Quarter of Vivec City. So all the imperial towns are boom towns.

I tried to get into ESO but ended up just wishing it was a singleplayer game. I guess you can play it as one but the MMO trappings just detracted from the experience imo

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Maybe it was moving from playing modded co-op Morrowind into playing ESO as a two-player co-op experience that dampened the MMO whiplash for me since for the most part I loathe playing MMOs. I'm not sure how well the game balance works out if you try to solo it all.

I don't know how separate the ESO team is from the team developing TES6 but I definitely hope the writers overlap.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I haven't followed the game much this year but as I recall ESO's writing team was headed up by Lawrence Schick and now Leamon Tuttle, they're largely on their own with Bethesda giving them a wide berth but there is some canonicity threshold they have to clear with Bethesda first. There is some back and forth collaboration apparently, but considering ESO has been like, going on for what seven or so years now? I'm guessing Tuttle probably has a lot of pull over the general direction of TES lore until bethesda remembers they need to release their own games at some point in the distant future

I'm guessing ZOS will factor in somehow with however TES6 development is going but ESO itself probably won't actually have that big an influence since its like 1000+ years in the past

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SpudCat posted:

Iirc Vvardenfell had only recently been opened for settlement by outlanders a couple decades ago, they make a deal out of how foreigners used to be restricted to just the Foreign Quarter of Vivec City. So all the imperial towns are boom towns.

I tried to get into ESO but ended up just wishing it was a singleplayer game. I guess you can play it as one but the MMO trappings just detracted from the experience imo

Yeah, I remember that being the lore on Pelagiad, and it makes sense to carry that thinking over to Seyda Neen. But in that uesp dive I did to confirm this I learned that Seyda Neen is actually a Redoran town, not an Imperial town. At least according to a flyer you can pick up in Morrowind. There's no Redoran guys there that I can recall so it feels more like a technicality. I didn't even remember that flyer tbh but there's a lot of that game I don't remember. I guess maybe Redoran decided to let the Empire take over policing the town since they seemed so intent on it.

iirc Pelagiad is the only Imperial town in Vvardenfell even. I wouldn't really call Wolverine Hall and Ebonheart towns, they're more like forts.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Seyda Neen is Hlaalu and, as far as I'm aware, has always been Hlaalu controlled.

Caldera would also be an Imperial Town, I think

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Berke Negri posted:

Seyda Neen is Hlaalu and, as far as I'm aware, has always been Hlaalu controlled.

Caldera would also be an Imperial Town, I think

poo poo yea, shows me for posting before double checking. mixed up those two houses for some reason. also completely forgot Caldera existed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Suran was Redoran before the Hlaalu came and kicked them out after power shifted their way, so it might be a similar process with Seyda Neen.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Poil posted:

You get to chop the head of Ulfric Fashcloak. :toot:

If you do the civil war part way and then advance the main quest to the part where you can do Season Unending, you can Fus Ro Dah his rear end right off the Throat of the World.

Absolutely worth it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Having started with Morrowind, the Stormcloaks don't stand out at all. The first quest in Morrowind is an Imperial stealing from a Dunmer and telling him he should be grateful that that the Empire brought them enlightenment. And the Great Houses make the Stormcloaks look benign, at least some of them.

Racism just seems like it's an accepted and common part of the setting, wherever you go.

Even in Skyrim itself, the Companions were more offensive to me because one of them told me - a Bosmer- that he wishes their founder had killed all elves. Also their ultimate weapon has a screaming elf face on it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I mean, the Bosmer do occasionally transform into a gigantic shapeshifting carnivorous horde that spawns terrible monsters and ends eras.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Having started with Morrowind, the Stormcloaks don't stand out at all. The first quest in Morrowind is an Imperial stealing from a Dunmer and telling him he should be grateful that that the Empire brought them enlightenment. And the Great Houses make the Stormcloaks look benign, at least some of them.

Racism just seems like it's an accepted and common part of the setting, wherever you go.

Even in Skyrim itself, the Companions were more offensive to me because one of them told me - a Bosmer- that he wishes their founder had killed all elves. Also their ultimate weapon has a screaming elf face on it.

They genuinely dropped the ball with the major faction storylines. Almost all of them are fairly dumb.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

NikkolasKing posted:

Having started with Morrowind, the Stormcloaks don't stand out at all. The first quest in Morrowind is an Imperial stealing from a Dunmer and telling him he should be grateful that that the Empire brought them enlightenment.

That's ... not how I read Fargoth's Hiding Place at all.

Which quest are you thinking of?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Death of a Taxman? Maybe? Don't remember the bit about Imperial enlightenment though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hosed up that i remember foryn gilnith's name better than i do some people i've known irl

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I will die remembering the name of the Dunmer who shittalks you in the first minute of Oblivion.

Valen Dreth. You mother fucker...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Jazerus posted:

hosed up that i remember foryn gilnith's name better than i do some people i've known irl

Eh, I'm poo poo with names, but if I met somebody names Foryn Gilnith I'd probably remember it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SpudCat posted:

I will die remembering the name of the Dunmer who shittalks you in the first minute of Oblivion.

Valen Dreth. You mother fucker...
"When I get out of here, all of Tamriel will know my name! Valen Dreth! Valen Dreth!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vavrek posted:

That's ... not how I read Fargoth's Hiding Place at all.

Which quest are you thinking of?

I might indeed be mis-remembering or lumping two things together in my mind. I played Morrowind once five years ago but I could swear an Imperial you can talk to in the opening town basically says the whole "we have brought civilization to these barbarians and they should be grateful" or something. Maybe that was just an NPC line I weirdly merged in my head with the quest.

But I definitely could be totally wrong.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think that might be something Imperial NPCs day when you ask them about Imperials.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Some Goon posted:

Eh, I'm poo poo with names, but if I met somebody names Foryn Gilnith I'd probably remember it.

I met a guy named Vivec at a bar once. He'd never heard of morrowind.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

turns out if you buy the nord at the telvanni bar in Vivec a beer he will tell you about the dungeon way out in the boonies with the legendary axe and the only daedric face of god helm

he even gives you a key to all the doors

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So Microsoft did a talk about Bethesda games: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/16/microsoft-wants-bethesda-games-to-be-either-first-or-better-or-best-on-their-platforms/

It's mostly undecipherable corporate speak, but I think what they are saying is that they want the next game ES game to be a Gamepass exclusive. Or maybe that it will have exclusive DLC content on Gamepass. Or something.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Could also mean a timed exclusive.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All they’re saying there is they want their own platforms to offer an advantage over the Nintendo/Sony ones. Whether it come out earlier, run better, look better, have more/different content or features, etc. and Gamepass is a big part of that push.

If a person can play a game now for just $4 a month or whatever the cost is versus dropping $60 on a version that might run worse on PS4/5 or come out six months later, folks will Gamepass it every time.

Except me. I loving refuse to “subscribe” to the games I want to play no matter how cheap the fee is.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, timed exclusive plus some other minor things seems most likely.

chaosapiant posted:

If a person can play a game now for just $4 a month or whatever the cost is versus dropping $60 on a version that might run worse on PS4/5 or come out six months later, folks will Gamepass it every time.

Except me. I loving refuse to “subscribe” to the games I want to play no matter how cheap the fee is.

If I had some teenagers that were into gaming I would 100% hop on the subscription train. Having sold subscription services in the past though, I know they only pay off for folks who consume a lot of X media somewhat indiscriminately. Being one person who doesn't play a ton of different games every month and doesn't buy new poo poo if there's a chance of a DLC package deal later on, it doesn't really make sense. Yet.

That could possibly change if a subscription service's selection became as good as Steam or GoG, but we're not there yet. (and the exclusivity wars don't help)

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 17, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Game pass is actually the reason I'll be going for xbox this gen, coming from PS4. I really like the concept of having a big library available for a monthly fee.

Of course, the Bethesda purchase is another big reason as I'm a huge sucker for Bethesda rpg jank.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
exclusives suck, even timed exclusives, but it's not like I wasn't going to get es6 for pc anyway.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

Nina posted:

Maybe it was moving from playing modded co-op Morrowind into playing ESO as a two-player co-op experience that dampened the MMO whiplash for me since for the most part I loathe playing MMOs. I'm not sure how well the game balance works out if you try to solo it all.

How well ESO works solo or with a party, for the basic questing and stories at least, is based on how deep you get into the mechanics. ESO's scaling has the opposite problem as Oblivion IMO. Rather than enemies scaling up, your character scales down every time they level, with abilities/gear/etc bringing you back up to and slightly past what you lose. If you and your friend don't know how to play the game, then every delve is a tense, nail-biting experience where you're using all of your abilities and potions to get through a boss and you feel a sense of accomplishment afterward. If you and your friend try to invest yourself in the mechanics, then suddenly you're curbstomping all of the casual content, which is 90% of the game, and what I figure the average person wants out of it. The overland quests are all scaled the same way, meaning they're far and away the easiest content, and they're also, at least to me, the most interesting things.

A lot of the really fun character building stuff is locked behind dungeon sets. These do things like 'every time you do damage, you create an earthquake that stuns everything around the target' or 'every time you do fire damage, you rain meteors from the sky', or 'you have a chance to summon a daedroth with your basic attacks'. And that's really cool, but to get these cool abilities and synergies, the dungeons you need to run are several orders of magnitude more difficult than the overland content. By the time you're able to consistently do those dungeons, you have the sort of character building knowledge and gear that you can steamroll any non-dungeon, non-world-boss content to the point where it quickly stops being fun, and while I think a lot of the writing is good, or at least charming, it can't support the game when you can crush the story quests that easily.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

The Doormat posted:

By the time you're able to consistently do those dungeons, you have the sort of character building knowledge and gear that you can steamroll any non-dungeon, non-world-boss content to the point where it quickly stops being fun, and while I think a lot of the writing is good, or at least charming, it can't support the game when you can crush the story quests that easily.
That is the problem I ran into while playing ESO: I genuinely like basically all content I've experienced and I'm slowly working through the latest story stuff, but the combat is just a bit too easy now that I have a clue what to do.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah ESO gots a weird thing where its the casual story goer - the mathematically driven dungeon delver - the batshit insane pvp warrior

kind of like ALMSIVI

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:

radintorov posted:

That is the problem I ran into while playing ESO: I genuinely like basically all content I've experienced and I'm slowly working through the latest story stuff, but the combat is just a bit too easy now that I have a clue what to do.

Berke Negri posted:

yeah ESO gots a weird thing where its the casual story goer - the mathematically driven dungeon delver - the batshit insane pvp warrior

kind of like ALMSIVI

That's pretty much why I stopped playing it. I liked the casual content, but I didn't have the energy to invest myself in the super hardcore dungeons or PvP stuff, and there's no real in-between from casual to hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I havent played it since the western Skyrim expansion in the summer but if you just want single player elder scrolls stories you can pass most the dungeons or pvp

If you want to just catch up on the harder dungeons without bothering with them in a min/max way UESP details most the story bits these days (or join the UESP guild in ESO, they're pretty nice people and do casual runs through dungeons so people can experience the story bits in person)