Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I'm posting for my brother-in-law. He hit some black ice and crashed in his 2015 Acura RDX and it was totaled by the insurance company so he needs to replace it.

Proposed Budget: $16,000 ish

New or Used: Used

Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) SUV or wagon.

How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Live around Denver, CO. Daily driver. Driving into the mountains to ski and hike. They have a dog. They take some longer trips a couple times a year.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) He liked the RDX - but is contemplating something, in his words, "less expensive and more capable."
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

If I had to guess I'd say reliability, cost, style. He looked at a X5 with the N63 V8 before the RDX and got (understandably) scared away from zee Germans.

3. If you do not live in the U.S. you should probably say so because what's available can vary a lot. Colorado, USA.

My first thoughts were towards another RDX. Then followed by an 4Runner or a GX series Lexus but his price point seems too low to get something that isn't 15 years old or have 150k+ miles on it. The premium on those in Mile High territory may be pretty steep as well.

A CRV would be cheaper but doesn't fulfill the "capable" aspect. I'm not sure what wasn't capable about the RDX, maybe he is thinking of getting off road some more.

Volvo seems like a possibility but I'm not familiar with which ones are good and bad after the red and white blocks came to pass. The Greely Era seems to be synonymous with poor reliability and durability.

Their other car is a Prius.

What else should I tell him to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you should clarify "more capable." Volvo is not a good direction unless you're a volvo enthusiast or something. I love my GX470, but it is 15y/o with 200k miles on it, which put it into a different price range where it made a lot of sense for me. Not sure it'd be ideal for someone just generically looking for "more capable" without having an idea what that means. It gets sub 18mpg, generally 15mpg, on premium, and isn't particularly space efficient so there's not as much room inside as you might think given the dimensions. Still plenty, but a lot of car based crossover things are much more clever with useable interior space.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
There's a reason you'll find Subarus all over trailheads and ski lodge parking lots in Colorado and the PNW. I'd second figuring out what "more capable" means here, and what he actually wants to do, but an Outback or Forester would be a step up in generic "capability" from an RDX without going full on 4WD truck/truck-based SUV.

Something like a CRV or Rav4 might also get the job done. Has he ever actually been down a road where he's had to turn around because the RDX couldn't handle it? Ordinary car-based SUVs can handle almost all USFS level 2 roads, as long as the driver is prudent, picks a good line, and understands how to drive on lightly-maintained roads.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I agree. I'll ask him. Actually looking now he said "rugged" so I misspoke when I typed "capable." Either way that doesn't actually mean anything without some more explanation.

E: Okay, rugged in this case means something that the dog can jump all over and he won't care ffs.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 16, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tupac holocron posted:

Looked into it, almost nothing around here and I'm not eager to take responsibility for 40-60+ months of wear and tear at end of lease.

No more than 4000 miles across 6 months. 2-3 errands a week and a 200 mile round trip every few weeks.

On literally anything that isn't approaching some major milestone, that is literally one oil change. Maintenance and fuel mileage costs are nonexistent on that time scale, at least compared to what you're saving by not renting for six months / what you're risking on buying a car for that time.

This also means depreciation should be minimal over that timeframe, so unless you overpay for the car up front, you should be able to sell it for pretty much the same amount. I'd strongly recommend against buying from a dealer in this situation because you'll incur a bunch of transaction costs for that. At the very least, a higher purchase price, various "doc fee" type bullshit, and at least in some states you'll pay sales tax on a dealer sale but not private party.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tupac holocron posted:

North end of Appalachia.

Looked into it, almost nothing around here and I'm not eager to take responsibility for 40-60+ months of wear and tear at end of lease.

Nothing beyond changing filters, etc. I've been carless in NYC for years. I have no access to tools or even to an enclosed garage.

No more than 4000 miles across 6 months. 2-3 errands a week and a 200 mile round trip every few weeks.

I may be weird, or others may disagree with me, but when I read your requirements a panther platform Ford came to mind. You can probably pick up a Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria in running condition pretty cheap. There’s a couple around me that are listed under 4 grand in good running condition, and they’re relatively inexpensive to fix if something does go wrong.

Should be easy to get rid of for what you paid for it as well.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

skipdogg posted:

I may be weird, or others may disagree with me, but when I read your requirements a panther platform Ford came to mind. You can probably pick up a Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria in running condition pretty cheap. There’s a couple around me that are listed under 4 grand in good running condition, and they’re relatively inexpensive to fix if something does go wrong.

Should be easy to get rid of for what you paid for it as well.

yeah broadly same, sounds like what you need is some kind of hateful cockroach car that nobody with any money wants plus some high grade breakdown coverage. Mid 00s Buicks, later 00s Malibus/Fusions/Cobalts etc. If there's nothing advertised just post eg a Facebook ad along the lines of 'ug need car. ug have $1000 (or whatever) to spend' and watch them come crawling out of the woodwork :v: Go look at the ones that come up that you can see on street view 5 years ago and you'll rarely go wrong ime.

I am a fan of shite cars though and your attitude may or may not sync with that depending on the specifics of what you're doing, where you're going etc.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm pretty sure a 5000 prius will sell for the same amount few months down the road, as long as you buy private party

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I'm pretty sure a 5000 prius will sell for the same amount few months down the road, as long as you buy private party

Yup. Your only real concerns are the battery and brake actuator. My brake actuator is going out and it'll be around $1500 to have it replaced. I don't care though as I'm not planning on selling the car any time soon.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yup. Your only real concerns are the battery and brake actuator. My brake actuator is going out and it'll be around $1500 to have it replaced. I don't care though as I'm not planning on selling the car any time soon.
There are plenty of used ones from $100 on eBay, and they typically last hundreds of thousands of miles. Maybe you should consider that option.

And are you 100% certain that it's the actuator, and not the control unit?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Never mind no help here

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 22, 2020

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

This is BFC thread: why do you even want a car in HK? Feels like the expense is unjustified in almost any scenario. Take a taxi everywhere you go for a third of the cost.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

DNK posted:

This is BFC thread: why do you even want a car in HK? Feels like the expense is unjustified in almost any scenario. Take a taxi everywhere you go for a third of the cost.

That’s a very good point and I am also keeping that into consideration.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

I'm posting for my brother-in-law. He hit some black ice and crashed in his 2015 Acura RDX and it was totaled by the insurance company so he needs to replace it.

What else should I tell him to consider?

So far he has driven a 2011 Outback 3.6R, 2011 WRX hatch, LX470, and a 2007 FJ Cruiser. He seems pretty enamored with the FJ. Any gotchas to look out for with that one?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’ve not run into issues with the FJ mechanically, and I don’t even mind the way they drive, but holy poo poo are they overpriced - around here, anyway(NorCal)

They take the Toyota Tax to the extreme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the problem with the FJ is that the 4runner exists. a quick search on listings in my area shows that you pay roughly 30% less for an equivalent 4runner so you better really like the styling and need the (marginally) better approach, departure, and breakover angles of the FJ. also if you buy a FJ you better loving hate any rear seat passengers, the suicide doors are a fun gimmick for like a day. the 4runner is more useful in every possible way except for some very edge offroad cases, and if you're loving around where you need that departure angle, you wouldn't be keeping either stock, in which case you should again start with the 4runner.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the problem with the FJ is that the 4runner exists. a quick search on listings in my area shows that you pay roughly 30% less for an equivalent 4runner so you better really like the styling and need the (marginally) better approach, departure, and breakover angles of the FJ. also if you buy a FJ you better loving hate any rear seat passengers, the suicide doors are a fun gimmick for like a day. the 4runner is more useful in every possible way except for some very edge offroad cases, and if you're loving around where you need that departure angle, you wouldn't be keeping either stock, in which case you should again start with the 4runner.

I love the looks of the FJ and they don’t sell the 4Runner where I live so I’m still keen on an FJ. What else is worth looking at though?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I love the looks of the FJ and they don’t sell the 4Runner where I live so I’m still keen on an FJ. What else is worth looking at though?

where do you live

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Where does Toyota sell fj and not the 4runner?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nitrox posted:

Where does Toyota sell fj and not the 4runner?

4Runner is a NA-only model, rest of the world got the LC Prado, so the answer is "Everywhere outside NA".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

technically Toyota does not sell the FJ Cruiser anywhere anymore

GreatRed1
Jul 12, 2006
I am the Lizard King, I can do anything
I'm looking to replace my 2015 Ford Explorer Limited, it's been a good car but the turbo is trashed on the 4 cylinder and I'm magically losing coolant somewhere so I think it is time to get rid of it. I got this car for the 3rd row seat but now that my oldest daughter has her license this is not a concern for me any more.

Proposed Budget: 25K to 30K
New or Used: Used most likely
Body Style: I would really like a mid to full size sedan
How will you be using the car?: My main job requires me to drive to any jobs under 6 hours away. I get a lot of highway time so comfort is important. That and cruising around town.

What aspects are most important to you? I really want something with 6+ cylinders as I am so tired of the 4 cylinder in my Explorer. I've owned sports cars most of my life but traded my 2010 Camaro SS in on the Explorer so I could fit my step kids in it. What I'm really looking for is something luxurious, decent power, 4 doors so the kids still fit, and not a total money pit. I'm in a lot of rental cars but they are mostly compacts so I know that's too small for me.

I've been looking at Lincoln Continentals or Cadillacs but wanted to see if I missed anything. Not opposed to Mid Size if the offerings are better.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GreatRed1 posted:

I'm looking to replace my 2015 Ford Explorer Limited, it's been a good car but the turbo is trashed on the 4 cylinder and I'm magically losing coolant somewhere so I think it is time to get rid of it. I got this car for the 3rd row seat but now that my oldest daughter has her license this is not a concern for me any more.

Proposed Budget: 25K to 30K
New or Used: Used most likely
Body Style: I would really like a mid to full size sedan
How will you be using the car?: My main job requires me to drive to any jobs under 6 hours away. I get a lot of highway time so comfort is important. That and cruising around town.

What aspects are most important to you? I really want something with 6+ cylinders as I am so tired of the 4 cylinder in my Explorer. I've owned sports cars most of my life but traded my 2010 Camaro SS in on the Explorer so I could fit my step kids in it. What I'm really looking for is something luxurious, decent power, 4 doors so the kids still fit, and not a total money pit. I'm in a lot of rental cars but they are mostly compacts so I know that's too small for me.

I've been looking at Lincoln Continentals or Cadillacs but wanted to see if I missed anything. Not opposed to Mid Size if the offerings are better.

My opinion: The Lincoln could be a really good used value, but I have mixed feelings about it and I'm a Ford homer. They only made it for 3 model years, but it's pretty much a CD4 based vehicle like your Explorer and the last Ford Taurus.

I'm not sure how sporty you want how do you feel about the following vehicles?

Toyota Avalon
Genesis G80/G90
Lexus ES or GS

I'd rule out European cars, as maintenance and repair costs are going to be something to really consider with the kind of mileage you do. I used to commute 160 miles round trip and I totally get wanting a comfortable sedan to soak up the miles.

I think the 3 cars I listed above have a decent mix of sporty/luxury and would chew up highway miles with no issue. None of them should be a money pit, or get terrible gas mileage.

Not a huge fan of the Maxima. Audi A6's are nice, but not sure about the upkeep on one you can get in your budget. I don't even know what Acura offers in the sedan market anymore.

If I was in your shoes I'd be looking at the Genesis first and a Lexus 2nd.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Acura's equivalent would be the TLX but I don't know that I would really recommend it. I would prefer the CTS over the Lincoln for sure. You could also throw in the Chrysler 300 for the sake of completeness if you want, they're actually fairly decent though less luxurious than the other options. I am not sure you can get a G80 or G90 in the price range.

I'd probably buy an Avalon for that use case with a close look at the CTS. You could also see if you can find one of the five Kia K900s that got sold in America.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Not a specific car recommendation but if you're doing those distances a good adaptive cruise control with active lane keeping will be a godsend. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick when I got my last car but it does reduce your workload for driving the car.

Traffic sign recognition is also pretty handy for reminding you about speed limits.

Idk which of those suggested brands and models does it best. Audi's is the best I've used.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
Thanks all for the advice. I bought an anonymous, gutless japanese econobox

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

knox_harrington posted:

Not a specific car recommendation but if you're doing those distances a good adaptive cruise control with active lane keeping will be a godsend. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick when I got my last car but it does reduce your workload for driving the car.

Traffic sign recognition is also pretty handy for reminding you about speed limits.

Idk which of those suggested brands and models does it best. Audi's is the best I've used.

I haven't driven Audi's, but Kia/Hyundai/Genesis's implementation is head and shoulders above most of the market. Subaru's eyesight based system was also good, but they de-tune it for the entry level models which is real disappointing, though unlikely to affect the op.

Cadillac Super Cruise is probably worth investigating too, though I've never personally driven it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

PittTheElder posted:

I haven't driven Audi's, but Kia/Hyundai/Genesis's implementation is head and shoulders above most of the market. Subaru's eyesight based system was also good, but they de-tune it for the entry level models which is real disappointing, though unlikely to affect the op.

Cadillac Super Cruise is probably worth investigating too, though I've never personally driven it.

What do you mean that subaru de-tunes their eyesight?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cadillac Super Cruise is extremely good

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nwin posted:

What do you mean that subaru de-tunes their eyesight?

The lane keeping in an Impreza will leave you ping-ponging back and forth, while the implemented system in a Legacy will properly centre you and guide you around curves and such.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The Volvo system is excellent. The one in my wife's CX-5 is better than Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai/Kia, but it doesn't see fast enough ahead to slow down gradually. The Volvo system is really really good.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

The lane keeping in an Impreza will leave you ping-ponging back and forth, while the implemented system in a Legacy will properly centre you and guide you around curves and such.

That’s intentional to mirror how most Impreza drivers drive.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My wife's getting antsy about the space in her EV. She's got an eye on a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica because she just wants to leave the kids in the rear/middle row and not worry about storage for costco/ikea/strollers/daycare supplies, etc.

Any pros and cons for the Touring L class Pacifica? Just want to make sure the transmission won't crap itself at 60k or that the engine is known to turn into jelly or whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heya folks. in a bit of a weird situation. my dad, in his ever-capricious ways, has suddenly offered to buy me a new vehicle. I like minivans, I've driven them forever, and my current one is a 2006 Ford Freestar. It's served me well, I eventually wound up popping out the back seats for the most part, and use it more for a stuff-carrier more than a people-carrier since it usually only has two people in it at one time. not the most efficient I know, but I like it. anyways, dad's offered to get me a new one since he "hates my old rustbucket". He's a bit cagey on what he's willing to pay, but considering he was literally offering to buy me a brand new car straight off the lot, he's probably willing to do at least 20 grand. He keeps saying "pick one out that you and your mom would like, and I'll get it" without specifics. I don't mind continuing to use the Freestar, but mom's car is super toast so I figure I'll take his offer while his whims are in the mood to help me, and give her my old one.

Proposed Budget: at least 20k if I had to guess
New or Used: I don't want a brand new vehicle, something in the 3-5-year-old range would be nice.
Body Style: the Freestar's sliding side door straight up fell off once after it came off the slide rail, so uh, a van that doesn't do that would be cool. If it's hinged opening doors, so be it, but not-terrible sliding doors are good too.
How will you be using the car?: going around town, to work, occasional 15-20 minute drives, errands, etc. Sometimes 2-3 hour road trips.
What aspects are most important to you?: well, the freestar is practically a flintstones car in tech level, so something a bit nicer than that would be good. Has to be Automatic. I don't need built-in GPS, but something that my phone can connect to would be nice. Good, quick windshield defrosting is ideal, my workplace is in the middle of a swamp and windows/windshields ice up like crazy every night in winter. Something that has decent MPG and absolutely doesn't have to be luxurious but does have to be safe and not have a reputation for breaking down all the time. Style isn't really that important especially for a minivan but one that doesn't look like a Pontiac Aztec in minivan form would be nice.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you like the minivan, you're not going to get better utility anywhere else.

You can get a lot of Chrysler Town & country for under 20 grand, maybe even 3 year old Pacifica. All the seats behind the driver fold into the floor, and on certain trim levels, every door is operated via a remote. There will be people telling you that Chrysler is not as reliable as Honda or Toyota, and it's true in the statistical sense. But I've put 200k on my T&C and it's going strong. The best thing, on a 3-5 year old used car, the price difference between Chrysler and Toyota are in five digits. The parts are cheap, and wear and tear is exactly the same as my old Sienna. When I "downgraded" to the Chrysler, I got twice the car for half the money.

keep that in mind, but keep looking across the board for the newest and the best within your budget, especially newest generation with better safety features.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Any advice on buying a rarer car that you have to travel for? I'm looking for a Hyundai Equus, but not many were sold, and a lot of them have been driven into the ground by rideshare drivers. I will probably have to drive several hundred miles to find one in good condition without a ton of mileage. While there isn't much demand for this particular model, I still am not in a good negotiating position when the dealer knows I probably won't walk away after driving several hours, so they may try and screw me with additional fees or outright raise the price. What is the best way to get a solid price over the phone or through email, with minimal risk of a bait and switch when I take delivery?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Konstantin posted:

What is the best way to get a solid price over the phone or through email, with minimal risk of a bait and switch when I take delivery?
Get them to commit to the paperwork virtually and do any haggle over that -- not that you likely have much space to haggle considering.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i guess my follow on question is why in particular you want a hyundai equus

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's a real nugget of a car, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i guess my follow on question is why in particular you want a hyundai equus

It's the Richard Burton Edition that's so valuable. Four on the floor and a fifth under the seat.