Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So, given that Wizards has recently shown a willingness to do direct reprints, print-to-order, and direct shipping, if they offered Secret Lair: A box of Innestrad (or whatever set you like), but all the cards had the little reprint symbol in the corner and the packaging was somehow different, would you buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Depends on how much it cost and if they would guarantee me no foils at all.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Some Goon posted:

So, given that Wizards has recently shown a willingness to do direct reprints, print-to-order, and direct shipping, if they offered Secret Lair: A box of Innestrad (or whatever set you like), but all the cards had the little reprint symbol in the corner and the packaging was somehow different, would you buy it?

Why would I ever buy physical cards again?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Corbeau posted:

Why would I ever buy physical cards again?

Draft

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
just cut out the middleman and sell a prepackaged 360 innistrad cube

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

ungulateman posted:

just cut out the middleman and sell a prepackaged 360 innistrad cube

They are the intermediary. They benefit from selling lots of unwanted cards with a few keepers mixed in.

Yes, I'd buy reprints of old boxes with a fancy dot of shame (bring back white border)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

they could print dual lands where the art is just white background with black text that says "not for collecting" and an actual curse on them and people would buy them

well, maybe not dual lands, that would be crazy talk. But definitely fetches.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I would indeed buy a white rectangle that said Volcanic Island in 10 pt Comic Sans if Wizards of the Coast sold them with a legal back and border.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Would "If you don't control your commander this land loses all land types" be a characteristic defining ability or just a static ability?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Voyager I posted:

I would indeed buy a white rectangle that said Volcanic Island in 10 pt Comic Sans if Wizards of the Coast sold them with a legal back and border.

what about the curse? I'm thinking a painful open sore in a random place the first time you touch it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
but it comes with a free frogurt

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A Moose posted:

what about the curse? I'm thinking a painful open sore in a random place the first time you touch it.

Maybe if it said Mox Sapphire instead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The most obvious curse to me is the traditional never get rid of the cursed item curse. So no selling it no trading it no nothing, you are just stuck with a Magic Card in your possession until you die.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Captain Invictus posted:

these literally smell like a bucket of paint, it's really strong and bad

Mystery Booster cards smelled like BO which was disgusting but nostalgic. The Jumpstart I opened smelled godawful too. It’s astounding how far print quality has fallen over time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ungulateman posted:

but it comes with a free frogurt

gimme that froyo

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

sit on my Facebook posted:

Battlebond cards feel weird as hell too, like they're double gloss

Those were printed in Japan. It's funny to me to see y'all complain about "glossy" cards ITT because US cards are just poo poo quality and feel like toilet paper compared to Belgian ones (and especially to Japanese ones). You have it backwards.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

Some Goon posted:

Would "If you don't control your commander this land loses all land types" be a characteristic defining ability or just a static ability?

It's not a CDA, due to 604.3a(5).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Katana Gomai posted:

Those were printed in Japan. It's funny to me to see y'all complain about "glossy" cards ITT because US cards are just poo poo quality and feel like toilet paper compared to Belgian ones (and especially to Japanese ones). You have it backwards.
if these ones are belgian then gently caress'em, they smell like poo poo and that trumps any card quality

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/darkest_maj/status/1328133658117509120?s=21

The dude who got “scummed” by Tiu ended up winning the event so I guess it all worked out.

God drat it must be nice to clear a normal person’s yearly salary in a weekend of playing magic

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Darkest mage is a good player and has never been anything other than a good opponent to play against, in my matches against him. Good for him, unless there is some hidden bad thing he did

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GoutPatrol posted:

gimme that froyo
The frogurt is also cursed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/darkest_maj/status/1328133658117509120?s=21

The dude who got “scummed” by Tiu ended up winning the event so I guess it all worked out.

God drat it must be nice to clear a normal person’s yearly salary in a weekend of playing magic

Only took him eight years of streaming to get there! So immediately after winning he fired up his own stream and did a post mortem on the entire event and was still going by like 3+ hours after the tournament ended

I watched the semifinal and final matches are they were absolutely wild, they had long match timers (35 minutes each? maybe more?) and it was really interesting to see what people can do when they're not under the gun rope each turn. It helps a lot that Cedric, Marshal, and Patrick Sullivan are good commentators so they can fill the gaps while someone is taking 8 minutes on a mulligan decision.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I tried tuning in but somehow MODO is even harder to watch than paper.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Time posted:

Darkest mage is a good player and has never been anything other than a good opponent to play against, in my matches against him. Good for him, unless there is some hidden bad thing he did

it's time to put michael jacob on trial for committing the crime of being occasionally whiny and only playing video game music/ellie goulding when i watched his streams 7 years ago.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
He was mysteriously involved in the strange situation where a player asked their opponent to pretend they manipulated the game pieces and to not manipulate them in a different way.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MisterZimbu posted:

I tried tuning in but somehow MODO is even harder to watch than paper.

MODO is better than Arena, at least.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't even watch standard content anymore since arena is just a mess trying to watch on a phone.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Darkest_Mage is sometimes abrasive when telling backseat drivers that he is in fact making the correct play for reasons he's considered and they haven't, but when you win a MOCS it's proof you do know what you're doing, so no harm done.

:toot: good on him, hes a real grinder

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Harsh but fair.

https://twitter.com/chloebadcliffe/status/1328190037058523143?s=19

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lone Goat posted:

I watched the semifinal and final matches are they were absolutely wild, they had long match timers (35 minutes each? maybe more?) and it was really interesting to see what people can do when they're not under the gun rope each turn. It helps a lot that Cedric, Marshal, and Patrick Sullivan are good commentators so they can fill the gaps while someone is taking 8 minutes on a mulligan decision.

This! The finals were especially intense, they went to three matches and each match went to game three. The last game was really swingy, there were multiple instances where one player looked favored only to have the other player pull ahead. Good commentary throughout the weekend as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If WOTC had half a brain and actually gave a poo poo about magic as much as they try to make people think they do, Psully and Cedric would be full time employees of WOTC. They make this thing more like a proper "esport" than a lot of things they invest their money in.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Captain Invictus posted:

if these ones are belgian then gently caress'em, they smell like poo poo and that trumps any card quality

Nah, those are probably American. My Jumpstart boxes (purchased in Germany) say made in the USA on them. Supplemental products and non-Standard sets tend to be printed in the USA more often than not. I didn't notice any weird smells though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

HootTheOwl posted:

What is your metric? I find MODO to be inscrutable. I can barely tell what cards are in play. Arena feels miles ahead visually.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm in the UK. All the bundles here are US printed and all the draft booster boxes are from Belgium.

The European cards are much glossier in feel and often richer in colour. Also European foils barely curl.

The Japanese cards I have have darker edges which you can see easily when the cards are stored so presumably the card stock is different again.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

HootTheOwl posted:

This take is fuckin wild, imo

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They both seem easy to follow to me. If you don’t play those formats it could be harder but you can usually read the cards on mtgo and arena streams with plugins that let you mouse over most of the time

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
MODO has better(imo) formats and no animations that I hate having to see over and over again. Easy winner personally.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like watching MTGO more but I like playing Arena more.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Depends what you want out of a Magic client I suppose?

Arena is user friendly, easier to watch, but full of game irrelevant things.

MODO is more game rules accurate and supports more formats, but if you don't know what your looking at it can be hard to parse what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For better or for worse, arena is cargo cult supercell gacha poo poo:
- daily quests
- dual currency
- pay extra for cosmetics
- mmt / ladders

But, it also looks way better and is getting all the attention. In fact, I'm amazed they're still investing enough in modo to keep releasing the sets let alone adding poo poo like commander voting. Historically wotc hasn't had the bandwidth to develop more than one meaningful feature per 2 years or so, so to keep two entire apps up and running is impressive for them.