Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They should have filled his glove with lemons.

EDIT: And Taker’s gloves with cucumbers. And AJ’s gloves with poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

more like rob gat drat

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I never noticed the size, only Kane tugging it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Rob Van Dam pees out his butt.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oh but seriously I posted:

I never noticed the size, only Kane tugging it.

:chast2b:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr. Pogo had a sickle
Which might sound like something that never got used in a match because... well, it's a loving sickle and what kind of crazy idiot would get stabbed with a sickle in a wrestling match, but whenever Pogo was in the ring with guys like Onita he'd really go to town with that thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blankspot posted:

When did certain foreign objects become regular expected weapons? Who was the first to use each?
Folding chairs, tables, kendo sticks, etc.
I've tried to figure out who first used a chair. It probably goes back to the 19th century, and I think wrestlers have been using folding chairs for as long as they've been in arenas. Bull Curry was doing it in the 30s.

Edit: One specific thing that's only remembered as a joke nowadays is the coal miner's glove. It was invented by Dutch Savage, because he was from Scranton.

Has anybody ever imitated Cornette's racket, for the laughs?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 16, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it was kind of like the can opener in that people were hitting each other with chairs long before they realized you could sit on them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Doc M posted:

Which might sound like something that never got used in a match because... well, it's a loving sickle and what kind of crazy idiot would get stabbed with a sickle in a wrestling match, but whenever Pogo was in the ring with guys like Onita he'd really go to town with that thing.

I spent the longest time trying to figure out how that poo poo was gimmicked, since Pogo would stab people in the gut with that thing and they'd start bleeding like pigs. Finally I just assumed that it wasn't

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doc M posted:

Then some guy asked I wanna say Bryan Alvarez if it was true that Pogo did intimidation work for the Yakuza wearing his facepaint and brandishing the sickle, and apparently Alvarez said yes even though it was made up?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Black Reign's "That Darkness Falls Weapon."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Blankspot posted:

What are some famous named/wrestler specific weapons outside of WWE and AEW?
Like Foleys barbed wire bat, Trips sledgehammer, Jerichos bat, MJFs ring, etc.

Did Lodi ever hit anyone with his signs? Did anyone actually sell it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gaz-L posted:

I think that was Jacobs making lemonade from lemons, to be fair. Instead of hiding the motion, he made it part of the gimmick

Jacobs did so well with the Kane character, it's crazy to think that was his last chance in WWE. I think Cornette (and other sources) have stated after fake Diesel and Isaac Yankem, Kane was Jacobs' last shot in WWF/E, and if it didn't get over, he was done.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Thanks everyone for all the weapon stuff.
I watched a ton from 1996-2001 and then got back into watching/reading from about 2013 to now.
I forgot about so many of the weapons used during that time and am glad people ignored my please no WWE/AEW weapons part of my question because that was a mistake to include.

I don't know if he ever used them outside of cutting peoples hair but Brutus Beefcakes clippers always scared me when I would see clips of him as a kid.

Kane chat got me thinking. What other wrestlers have turned wardrobe issues or botches or ThingIamOverLooking into part of their gimmick?
Or had gimmick forced on them like Titus tripping at the blood money show or Sydal goofing on the SSP and becoming Japanese Death Match Legend Dr. Luther.

Blankspot fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 16, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Botching was definitely part of Sabu's gimmick.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

Pretty sure Lodi had one that turned out to be a stop sign hidden between two lovely posterboard signs. Lodi was a Stevie Richards knock-off so selling for him wasn't a huge priority when he was in the Flock.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

CombineThresher posted:

Pretty sure Lodi had one that turned out to be a stop sign hidden between two lovely posterboard signs. Lodi was a Stevie Richards knock-off so selling for him wasn't a huge priority when he was in the Flock.

I was watching one of the Twitch streams playing old WCW stuff a couple of weeks ago when Raven was making his debut. He was in the crowd sitting and sulking with Stevie doing his thing behind him, but I don't actually remember Stevie doing much of anything in the Flock. Was he ever actually in The Flock proper once Raven stopped being just a dude in the crowd?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Red posted:

I *think* it was Lodi who hit someone with a sign and the wrestler sold it, then pulled out a big metal stop sign that was hidden between two pieces of posterboard. Pretty sure it was in a Flock angle, at least. And then the Stop Sign made it into WCW/NWO Revenge as a result.

Beaten like a scalded dog!

From the DDT Digest Lodi Sign Project

"03/15/98 "Use My Sign." WCW/nWo Uncensored, Mobile, Alabama. Inside the sign was a stop sign which Raven used as a weapon against Diamond Dallas Page. This angle originated during Raven's stint in ECW. It occurred during a match with Tommy Dreamer at House Party '96 at ECW Arena in Philadelphia (01/05/96). During the match, Sign Guy Dudley handed the same weapon to Dreamer who proceeded to use it on Raven. This is another instance where Lodi has taken directly from ECW and the character of Sign Guy Dudley."

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 16, 2020

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

I was watching one of the Twitch streams playing old WCW stuff a couple of weeks ago when Raven was making his debut. He was in the crowd sitting and sulking with Stevie doing his thing behind him, but I don't actually remember Stevie doing much of anything in the Flock. Was he ever actually in The Flock proper once Raven stopped being just a dude in the crowd?

I think he may have been gone from WCW by the time The Flock was really a thing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Super Dan posted:

I think he may have been gone from WCW by the time The Flock was really a thing.

It was always weird to me that guys like Stevie and Mikey Whipwreck had these bizarre little stints in WCW. It just never felt quite right.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Public Enemy and ICP were everywhere.

Ganso Bomb posted:

bizarre little stints in WCW

Sabu!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Public Enemy and ICP were everywhere.

Sabu!

Who faced Jerry Lynn twice during his bizarre little WCW stint as Mr. JL!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I think my question is who was active during WCWs lifetime, worked significantly in North America and WASN'T in WCW at some point? I've got Shawn Michaels and maybe Jerry Lawler & Kane.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Stevie in WCW gave us "Look at this contract they're offering you, Raven! It's almost as good as mine!", a moment I'll somehow never forget.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

It was always weird to me that guys like Stevie and Mikey Whipwreck had these bizarre little stints in WCW. It just never felt quite right.

Sandman in WCW as Hardcore Hak was... unusual. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8kLnItMusU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think my question is who was active during WCWs lifetime, worked significantly in North America and WASN'T in WCW at some point? I've got Shawn Michaels and maybe Jerry Lawler & Kane.

The Rock?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I have a song I must have downloaded in the kazza days called Bad Attitude that's billed as a theme Shawn Michaels used at one point. It's got a clip of him talking at it begging so I'm guessing this is at just partly true. Where the gently caress is this thing from and when did he ever use it as entrance music?

E: here it is on YouTube. It appears to be from something called We Gotta Wrestle that I've never heard of before, which just raises more questions than answers.

https://youtu.be/EGqsvfdThx0

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
You can get a lot of people on the edges of WCW's existence (The Rock, Kurt Angle, Christian, the Dudleys, the Hardys on one side, Backlund/Bruno/Patterson on the other) but if you were wrestling for most of the 1990s, it's very few people of note: Shawn Michaels, Jerry Lawler, Owen Hart, Sgt. Slaughter, Yokozuna, Ken Shamrock... even a lot of people who never really had a 'run' in WCW did jobber matches for them: Kane, Billy Gunn, Edge, Taz, etc.

Past that you start getting into the Brooklyn Brawler and the Godfather.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I have a song I must have downloaded in the kazza days called Bad Attitude that's billed as a theme Shawn Michaels used at one point. It's got a clip of him talking at it begging so I'm guessing this is at just partly true. Where the gently caress is this thing from and when did he ever use it as entrance music?
Looks like it was from [url=

Vince MechMahon posted:

Looks like it's from this [German Only?] "Hits of the World Wrestling Federation" album, which came out in 1997.

My guess it that it was supposed to be his heel theme before they decided to go with Degeneration X as a stable and it got scrapped in favor of the DX theme?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 16, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It depends on what you define as being "in" WCW, because both Kane and Edge had brief appearances as jobbers in WCW.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

RajahWWF assured me he that he was joining the nWo and I keep the faith

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Super Dan posted:

My understanding was that the Flock angle was a reboot of the original plans for him and Stevie, since Stevie's whole deal didn't go over well in WCW.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

CombineThresher posted:

My understanding was that the Flock angle was a reboot of the original plans for him and Stevie, since Stevie's whole deal didn't go over well in WCW.

coward ted found stevie's booty shorts too homoerotic. as revengeance, raven themed the flock after gay archetypes

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Owen was in WCW, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA2sQAnTleg

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Other people who worked in North America during WCW's existence who never worked for WCW:

Dynamite Kid
Tommy Dreamer
Yokozuna
Savio Vega
Viscera

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shane McMahon

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

WCW was also fond of showing clips of their former wrestlers getting clowned by current wrestlers as some kind of own. "Look, here's Steve Austin getting his rear end kicked by Hacksaw Duggan. Bet you don't want to see that loser anymore"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Shane McMahon

Shane was in WCW on the last episode of Nitro.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Botching was definitely part of Sabu's gimmick.

ecw also had JT Smith, a black guy with an italian gimmick who would botch moves on purpose

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Shane was in WCW on the last episode of Nitro.

mind is exploded. was angle on nitro/raw? was TEST?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What's the best Wrestling show's theme/year in your own opinion - personally I've always been a huge mark for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPECdI0xDZQ

I remember as a kid (like 13) doing slave labor running the newsletter for The Law (Live Audio Wrestling, with Jeff Marek - I *think* it was the first Live Internet Wrestling "podcast" but its been so so long) for some T-shirts with South Park characters dressed as wrestlers... they also let me call in and sing that song all the time because for some reason I loved it then, and I still love it now even though I haven't heard it in 15+ years at least and had almost all the words down (except I forgot about Hakushi :allears: )