Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Groda posted:

My boss said she was going to fire me, if it weren't for the censor bars.

That's neat, do you work in a censor bar factory?

Platystemon posted:

This guy purchased a ghost town and the mines underneath it.

He’s going to die down there one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlDg41-zizU&t=865s

In this video, he does a number of dangerous things, but the one I’ve timestamped is when the low oxygen alarm goes off on the gas meter and his friend is like “that alarm won’t stop me because I read Wikipedia and I won’t pass out till the concentration drops another couple percent”.

The ostensible reason for this trip is to find an alternate route into the main tunnel network without taking the nineteenth century cable lift. That lift is not ideal, but in no way is it worse than what he goes through here.

If he knew what he was doing with rope, and he really wanted to dispense with that lift, he could rope directly down the shaft like this team did, but of course he doesn’t know what he’s doing.
Holy poo poo.

This reminds me of a guy who bought a Titan II silo and was trying to rebuild it himself, is he dead yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRwrcL1bUdY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

This reminds me of a guy who bought a Titan II silo and was trying to rebuild it himself, is he dead yet?

He’s still alive. The place looks like a Chipotle now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVo9E8ztMo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

He’s still alive. The place looks like a Chipotle now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVo9E8ztMo

I hope he's not done because it looks terrible and unfinished.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HardDiskD posted:

I hope he's not done because it looks terrible and unfinished.

I was trying to figure out what the point of it all was, and apparently they are marketing it as a destination event space/conference center, except their website doesn't even bother to tell you where the thing is (Arkansas).

The open air shower in the bedroom looks like it would be absolutely miserable to use.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

A guy on my town facebook group is apparently using his car as a generator while all our power is out. Can you spot the problem with his plan?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Talkc posted:

What is the procedure, i have to ask, in an industrial accident, should one actually get molten aluminum on one's foot?

I'm asking for an Australian youtuber.

Edit: To be clear I am actually asking a real question, what happens when someone gets a molten metal injury, what's the treatment? How do they triage it? Its like this weird gap in my knowledge where i dont know much about skin treatment for stuff like adhesives or metals or really anything *stuck* to a person.

It can’t be that bad, I've always heard that small accidents never happen in a foundry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wilderthanmild posted:

A guy on my town facebook group is apparently using his car as a generator while all our power is out. Can you spot the problem with his plan?

Is he running it inside the garage?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Is he running it inside the garage?

Yep, and defending it by saying he turns it off from time to time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/16/fire-test-for-grenfell-foam-cladding-panels-was-rigged-admits-ex-employee

quote:

Executives who sold combustible insulation for use on Grenfell Tower perpetrated a “fraud on the market” by rigging a fire test and making “misleading” claims about it, a public inquiry has heard.

Celotex, a subsidiary of the French construction materials company Saint-Gobain, behaved in a “completely unethical” way, admitted Jonathan Roper, a former assistant product manager.

Roper worked on two fire tests of the foam panels and subsequent sales plans as the company tried to grab a slice of a £10m-a-year insulation foam market.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

wilderthanmild posted:

Yep, and defending it by saying he turns it off from time to time.

I don't really see what the problem is. The Carbon Monoxide will just vent out of the garage and into the house.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh cool its the company that made all those asbestos drop-ceiling tiles

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't suppose it's possible to argue for exceptional circumstances and have their sentence be capital punishment?

Because fines are clearly not deterring these people.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The US has been officially metric for decades. At least since the 60s, probably earlier. It's always just been a formality, though, as there has never been any programs or efforts to officially convert. Industry has been extremely reluctant to convert as everything is in imperial dimensions and they have rebuild everything to change over to metric measurements.

And it's more than that. The infrastructure for handling metric-based measurements has to change as well.

They've gradually been moving that way. US built cars use more and more metric fasteners. Soft drinks are in metric volumes now. People are gradually getting used to them and are able to visualize them, which is the main hurdle. We're getting there.

I mean, no, it hasn't. It may use Metric for every conceivable science related activity and may be using it more and more in general use, but the USA explicitly did not put metric into law as the legal system of weights and measures, nor were any of the laws designed to enforce metric actually mandatory, meaning companies simply didn't use it.

Other countries made adherence to metric units mandatory (eg, everything is sized in a metric measurement), made their conversion mandatory (eg, packing had to have both, or just metric) and made, legally speaking, the metric figures take precedence over others. Eg, if there is a court case over the amount of milk sold in pints versus mls, the mls figure is taken as the "correct" figure even if it's inconsistent with the pint value. The USA has never done this.

Companies may be using metric because from an international supply chain point of view it makes much more sense, but "officially" metric isn't in use in the US.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean, no, it hasn't. It may use Metric for every conceivable science related activity and may be using it more and more in general use, but the USA explicitly did not put metric into law as the legal system of weights and measures, nor were any of the laws designed to enforce metric actually mandatory, meaning companies simply didn't use it.

Other countries made adherence to metric units mandatory (eg, everything is sized in a metric measurement), made their conversion mandatory (eg, packing had to have both, or just metric) and made, legally speaking, the metric figures take precedence over others. Eg, if there is a court case over the amount of milk sold in pints versus mls, the mls figure is taken as the "correct" figure even if it's inconsistent with the pint value. The USA has never done this.

Companies may be using metric because from an international supply chain point of view it makes much more sense, but "officially" metric isn't in use in the US.
I misremembered the data. It was 1975.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wilderthanmild posted:

I see no problem. Melkotians don't need oxygen to breathe.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wilderthanmild posted:

yes, just running the alternator is a hideously inefficient way to harvest power

guy needs a tire dynamo built into the floor

side benefit: at least he doesn't have to heat his garage after maybe another 5 minutes lol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean, the Wikipedia article itself makes it clear the act is entirely voluntary and has no enforcement powers to ensure metrification. It even states that the US customary units are still allowed to be used. Even worse, in the states the metric units are defined by their relation to US customary units.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean, the Wikipedia article itself makes it clear the act is entirely voluntary and has no enforcement powers to ensure metrification. It even states that the US customary units are still allowed to be used. Even worse, in the states the metric units are defined by their relation to US customary units.

That's exactly what I said. I don't understand what your objection is.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

Did you stop reading after the first sentence or

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Even worse, in the states the metric units are defined by their relation to US customary units.

This is dumb but it's also fine for everyday large measurements like travel distance and food volume

It's not like scientists are going to give a poo poo about that technicality

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Even worse, in the states the metric units are defined by their relation to US customary units.

This is not true, and in fact the exact opposite is true. All US customary units are defined by metric units, going as far back as 1893.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Talkc posted:

What is the procedure, i have to ask, in an industrial accident, should one actually get molten aluminum on one's foot?

I'm asking for an Australian youtuber.

Edit: To be clear I am actually asking a real question, what happens when someone gets a molten metal injury, what's the treatment? How do they triage it? Its like this weird gap in my knowledge where i dont know much about skin treatment for stuff like adhesives or metals or really anything *stuck* to a person.

One of the thread's favorites poured some molten AL on a steak, and cooked a steak on molten tin. In some situations, molten metal is safer than other hot liquids like cooking oil. The higher temp means you get can get a brief safety period from the leidenfrost effect, and higher surface tension means the metal will tend to stick together instead of coating you. Any prolonged contact will absolutely gently caress you up, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwc2fDhuM4

Splashes from home foundries are probably just treated like burns. AL doesn't stick to skin like molten plastic. Small bits are going to form balls on or near the surface, larger chunks that form skins should be easy enough to pull off the burned skin underneath.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

That's exactly what I said. I don't understand what your objection is.

Sorry, you said that the US is "officially metric" since 1975. The US isn't officially metric, since the bill is voluntary.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah by the time you have even flecks and beads cooked into you, you're going to get a Very Intense Brushing that will take away the flecks and beads and also much of your dead skin and fat. If you're in the nice part of town you might get medical maggots instead.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

This guys beard breaks most any safety guideline I can think of

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Drone_Fragger posted:

Sorry, you said that the US is "officially metric" since 1975. The US isn't officially metric, since the bill is voluntary.

"Officially" in this context means "according to official rules or regulations", not "thoroughly or completely".

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
demonstrating a stab proof vest
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjuyy9FCWk1s1ddrj.mp4

hail
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qjvnu51yx11r0uzl6.mp4

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

jetz0r posted:

One of the thread's favorites poured some molten AL on a steak, and cooked a steak on molten tin. In some situations, molten metal is safer than other hot liquids like cooking oil. The higher temp means you get can get a brief safety period from the leidenfrost effect, and higher surface tension means the metal will tend to stick together instead of coating you. Any prolonged contact will absolutely gently caress you up, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwc2fDhuM4

Splashes from home foundries are probably just treated like burns. AL doesn't stick to skin like molten plastic. Small bits are going to form balls on or near the surface, larger chunks that form skins should be easy enough to pull off the burned skin underneath.

Will confirm. As a product of my misspent youth, I may have gotten a few drops of molten lead between my toes. Hurt like a motherfucker, and definitely gave me some blisters, but it's not like metals are going to weld to your skin or adhere like napalm.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Whole lot of thread content in this gallery. . A few favorites:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Ugh. A good friend of mine died due to carbon monoxide from working on his truck in what seemed like a well-ventilated garage, and he had the garage door open. This just looks phenomenally stupid.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:catstare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The worst part is that since Ancient Greek times we've known that asbestos was bad for people. Widespread research in the 1930s linked it with cancer. James Hardy spent decades fighting in the courts until everyone they sentenced to death with mesothelioma had either died or given up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Kind of like how we've known about climate change since the 1800s but it's still financially beneficial for some people to pretend it doesn't exist.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I'm pretty sure everyone in this photo was dead 20 years after it was taken.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I just wanted to say I approve of this post

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

The worst part is that since Ancient Greek times we've known that asbestos was bad for people. Widespread research in the 1930s linked it with cancer. James Hardy spent decades fighting in the courts until everyone they sentenced to death with mesothelioma had either died or given up.

Wikipedia posted:

The term asbestos is traceable to Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder's manuscript Natural History and his use of the term asbestinon, meaning "unquenchable".[7][8][12] While Pliny or his nephew Pliny the Younger is popularly credited with recognising the detrimental effects of asbestos on human beings,[14] examination of the primary sources reveals no support for either claim.[15]

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterMeiszner/status/1327352891846246400

Keep safe, wear a mask!

:dong:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I read through the first dozen or so replies and not one person posted thatsapenis.gif

Very disappointed in the internet right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Although Roman scholar Pliny the Elder often gets credit for the earliest documentation of the detrimental effects of mining and use of asbestos, the Greek historian Strabo probably preceded him describing a respiratory sickness in slaves who mined the substance

Kratzke, P & Kratzke, RA (2018) Asbestos-Related Disease Journal of Radiology Nursing, Volume 37, Issue 1, March 2018, Pages 21-26

quote:

Strabo (/ˈstreɪboʊ/; Greek: Στράβων Strábōn; 64 or 63 BC – c. AD 24) was a Greek geographer, philosopher, and historian who lived in Asia Minor during the transitional period of the Roman Republic into the Roman Empire.