Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you liked the first two seasons of Slow Burn, Luminary dropped the first season of Leon Nayfakh's (previously paywalled) follow-up podcast Fiasco a month or so ago. It's about Bush v. Gore/the Florida recount and it's great; I haven't minded the following seasons of Slow Burn but this really reminded me of the magic that was the first two seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I got really into a podcast called Fight Like An Animal which is about how politics and evolutionary biology intersect, I'm personally very wary of psychological frameworks for understanding politics but still found it very interesting and convincing. The host talks pretty slowly but eloquently and doesn't try to be cute too often like some podcast hosts. Perfect for long walks in my experience.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ketchup vs catsup posted:

New hardcore history is up

Supernova in the east 5
212 minutes

Does the episode finally wrap up the series or does Dan meander enough to end on yet another cliffhanger?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I can't even remember what was in the last one. Battle of Midway? Was that the one with all of the romanticizing of known shitheel general mcdoug? The shark episode maybe? The one with all the Shogunites?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you liked the first two seasons of Slow Burn, Luminary dropped the first season of Leon Nayfakh's (previously paywalled) follow-up podcast Fiasco a month or so ago. It's about Bush v. Gore/the Florida recount and it's great; I haven't minded the following seasons of Slow Burn but this really reminded me of the magic that was the first two seasons.

I also discovered it wasn't paywalled anymore and listened to most of it during the US election. Quality podcast right there.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sydin posted:

Does the episode finally wrap up the series or does Dan meander enough to end on yet another cliffhanger?

What does your heart tell you?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He did at least promise to end it next time.

This series had its decent moments by getting into the Japanese mindset, early, and this episode got somewhat better in the second half, but this one sure was a lot about how terrible it is to die in a war.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I really like HH for all its flaws, and yet I don't think I can slog any farther through this series. Not even sure if I caught the last episodes tbh.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want him to do an hour-long one-off on Vikings or whatever again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
He really needs to just do series where it's impossible to talk about Americans. He's always at his best with things prior to the 18th century.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
First couple episodes are good at least, particularly the first one where Dan gives a really good run down of the absolutely insane do or die situation Japan faced after being forced open, and how crazy it is that they managed to speed run societal changes that took Europe 400-500 years in 40-50 years.

Hopefully once Supernova is over next year he'll move on to shorter and/or farther removed from modern times.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sydin posted:

First couple episodes are good at least, particularly the first one where Dan gives a really good run down of the absolutely insane do or die situation Japan faced after being forced open, and how crazy it is that they managed to speed run societal changes that took Europe 400-500 years in 40-50 years.

Hopefully once Supernova is over next year he'll move on to shorter and/or farther removed from modern times.

Honestly the whole series should have just been on the isolation of Japan, Admiral Perry forcing them to open, the Meiji Restoration and its aftermath. Plenty of material there for several hours of material. Its a super interesting series of events and I think I even suggested to Dan years ago that he do a show on this (among other topics). But going on and on about WW2 just isn't on for me.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Honestly the whole series should have just been on the isolation of Japan, Admiral Perry forcing them to open, the Meiji Restoration and its aftermath. Plenty of material there for several hours of material. Its a super interesting series of events and I think I even suggested to Dan years ago that he do a show on this (among other topics). But going on and on about WW2 just isn't on for me.

IMO that would require Dan to use Japanese sources that haven't been published in English and require him to find a Japanese-English bilingual historian to consult or help him write the show, which doesn't seem to be his style. He could take a few lessons from RWN or Mike Duncan here, if you end up in a subject that you don't fully grasp, find someone to help.

All the Supernova series has made me really want is a Fall of Civilizations episode on the Opening of Japan. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it's weird how bad he is about getting help with non-English sources. As good as Dan's storytelling is about the Anabaptist Munster rebellion he makes a point that he's constrained to only one or two sources because those are the only ones he could find in English, and apparently there are a ton of German sources that contradict a lot of what he asserts about the whole incident. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for somebody of Dan's renown to get assistance in finding and translating international sources, but :shrug:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's weird how bad he is about getting help with non-English sources. As good as Dan's storytelling is about the Anabaptist Munster rebellion he makes a point that he's constrained to only one or two sources because those are the only ones he could find in English, and apparently there are a ton of German sources that contradict a lot of what he asserts about the whole incident. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult for somebody of Dan's renown to get assistance in finding and translating international sources, but :shrug:

That whole episode felt like someone regurgitating the propaganda of one side in a conflict.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1329193209826861059

Booooooo

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm not sure what he has been dealing with but he has had two surgeries recently and I assume his book must be in the finishing stages around now so I can understand why he's behind schedule.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
And, uh, things aren’t looking real great in France right now

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm not sure what he has been dealing with but he has had two surgeries recently and I assume his book must be in the finishing stages around now so I can understand why he's behind schedule.

Yeah I'm sure it'll just be talking about the surgery for people who don't follow on twitter.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I liked the WWI episodes of Hardcore History, should I listen to anything else Hardcore History related?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Violet_Sky posted:

I liked the WWI episodes of Hardcore History, should I listen to anything else Hardcore History related?

Yes, its pretty good even if we're all kinda burnt out on the WW2 series

His Roman series are great, as is his Mongolian series. Oh and King of Kings

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Violet_Sky posted:

Getting through that series means you can deal with Dan's longwinded nature which is his major shortcoming-- anything else on his catalogue is probably appealing to you. Browse through his episodes and see what strikes your fancy.

My favorite series is King of Kings, my favorite one-off is probably Thor's Angels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The end of the Republic and Mongol eps are ace.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Prophets of Doom is a pretty wild ride as well.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I would also recommend King of Kings, that series was amazing.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Comedy option: Hardcore Prophesy, which is a compilation of sorts

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Has anyone listened to History Impossible? They dropped a six hour episode about the 1919 influenza pandemic that I'm interested in, but I've never listened before and don't know if it's a reliable or quality podcast.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
How is Real Dictators? Apparently some tankies started crying over the "propaganda" and a few reviewers keep asking for episodes on Obama. The Mao episodes were accurate to what I learned my university's Chinese history classes at least. Also, should I take apple podcast reviews with a grain of salt?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like Doughboys (and How Did This Get Made, before it) fell hard down the "Every show is a live show" hole.

Like, I understand that making content is hard and live shows bring in money and all the rest. But goddamn did the dumb audience participation segments make me want to diiiieeee.

:sigh:

A ton of podcasts fell down this rabbit hole and it always sucks, Live podcasts are almost universally terrible.

Grevling posted:

Latest Tides of History about early farmers in Europe is awesome. I love imagining the slow (although it was really pretty rapid) colonization of Europe across generations. Pretty gruesome how late Linear Pottery Culture People started to massacre and eat one another though.

I really can't get into the latest season, it happened so long ago, and everything is so tenuous, that it really just makes me think. Why does it even matter.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I found a good one called The Secret History of Western Esotericism Podcast. I think it straddles being accessible while also getting deep enough into its subject matter that it's fresh even if you're not totally unfamiliar with it and it has very interesting guests. I'm not that many episodes in but so far it's covered a lot of ground, from mystery religions to renaissance christian kabbalism to 16th century christian mystics, in broad strokes that is, which is no doubt going to be fleshed out. It actually has some really interesting points from the origin of the concept of soul and bounded self in the emergence of new property relations to the confluence of mystery religions and philosophy in ancient greece to the deterministic implications of ancient astrology to plato's influence on christianity and the reaction to it among many others.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm finishing The Fault Line: Bush, Blair and Iraq and it's a pretty interesting podcast about the leadup to the Iraq War (with a focus on the UK government's march to war, but some substantial Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld-Powell drama recurring). A nice companion to the Bush v. Gore Fiasco podcast I mentioned at the top of the page and the Floodlines podcast about Hurricane Katrina if the Bush years are all starting to run together for you.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'm finishing The Fault Line: Bush, Blair and Iraq and it's a pretty interesting podcast about the leadup to the Iraq War (with a focus on the UK government's march to war, but some substantial Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld-Powell drama recurring). A nice companion to the Bush v. Gore Fiasco podcast I mentioned at the top of the page and the Floodlines podcast about Hurricane Katrina if the Bush years are all starting to run together for you.

You might also want to listen to Blowback, a 10-part miniseries on the Iraq War that came out earlier this year.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Can anyone recommend a good, in-depth podcast on the Nuremberg trials? Some brief searches haven't turned up much but I'm not very familiar with WWII podcasts.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
SRB podcast had a very good episode on the trials a few months ago:
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/109848501

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fiasco was worth the listen.

It's 10 years since the start of the Arab Spring protests/revolutions/wars. I'm on the hunt for a book on the subject but a podcast would be even better, if anyone knows of any.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm a bit behind on my podcasts but last week's tides of history, with the interview with the professor of theoretical archaeology was unbearable. He keeps interrupting his guest over and over, it sounded extremely unprofessional.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought that at first but the fact they never stop each during those interruptions makes me wonder if it was a zoom or Skype issue and the audio just got screwed up.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm a bit behind on my podcasts but last week's tides of history, with the interview with the professor of theoretical archaeology was unbearable. He keeps interrupting his guest over and over, it sounded extremely unprofessional.

He said on Twitter it was an audio error; I think he said it’s been corrected now.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, remote podcast interviews like that are usually recorded by both parties, and then merged together for the final edit so everyone sounds good. Something probably got misaligned right at the end so they were both talking over each other.

On the topic of Tides, I've been slowly listening through the early modern history series and really enjoying it. But I've found that I really need to concentrate on Patrick's voice, and that losing concentration for a couple of seconds means I totally lose the thread of what he's saying. I don't have this issue with other history podcasters, so I'm not really sure why, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I listen to most podcasts at about 1.7x speed but about once a year I suddenly can't retain any information that way and have to go back to like 1.2x and work my way back up.

Chairman Capone posted:

You might also want to listen to Blowback, a 10-part miniseries on the Iraq War that came out earlier this year.

Thanks for this recommendation; I'm finishing the final episode tomorrow. It's a really good podcast that's dovetailing nicely into The Fault Line but without a ton of overlap (since Fault Line was more UK-focused). I'm fairly familiar with the subject matter but I didn't know a lot about Ahmed Chalabi outside of "he told us what we wanted to hear then Iraqis didn't actually give a poo poo about him" so this has really filled in that big gap.

I don't *love* the random pop culture clips (I'm fine with hosts having fun; they just feel out of the place here) but that's such a minor quibble and it's not like we get a 30 minute Carlin monologue about Batman and Wolverine every time.