Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gort posted:

I think there's a level in Crysis where you pilot an Osprey-like VTOL plane, but I can't remember it.

It's the one people always blank from their mind because of how utterly horrid it was, and how generally unsuited the engine was to provide that gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

lobsterminator posted:

And never mind that it's the distant future and you still need a poor salesperson to stand at the checkout instead of grabbing a drink and paying for it. I can see that bartenders can have a role in the universe, because they have the stereotypical role of talking to you if you're alone.

Even today there are stores in my city where there are no employees. You just grab an item from the freezer and pay with your card. There are only a few at this point, but they exist. But in CRoberts' future dream world you still have cashiers that sell you cans of coffee!

One of these solves all those issues

But, unfortunately, that sort of machine is one of those 50s weird sci-fi impractical concepts. It could never happen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man after playing so many Yakuza games, the first thing I wanna do when I get to Japan is purchase and consume a Boss coffee.

(Yes I know, it's probably not great, but I DON'T CARE)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

trucutru posted:

One of these solves all those issues

But, unfortunately, that sort of machine is one of those 50s weird sci-fi impractical concepts. It could never happen.

Any of the bad design choices SC has could be ignored, if the world had some kind of style or feel. You could make a really fun space coffee kiosk with a seller, if you had competent people creating it. Instead, the SC world is this sterile gray goo combined from random sources. And the most expensive game of all time can only come up with stuff that is worse than free Unity assets.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Remind me, was Crysis an open world game? If yes, what's the problem CIG is facing here?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yet somehow they managed to capture the desperate hopelessness of a coffee stand in the middle of an airport concourse.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm sure the SC forums have people right now fantasizing about being able to work at one of those coffee stands. And if they work hard for 10 hours a day for 5 years, they can buy a starter level ship in-game without paying IRL money.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

lobsterminator posted:

And never mind that it's the distant future and you still need a poor salesperson to stand at the checkout instead of grabbing a drink and paying for it. I can see that bartenders can have a role in the universe, because they have the stereotypical role of talking to you if you're alone.

Even today there are stores in my city where there are no employees. You just grab an item from the freezer and pay with your card. There are only a few at this point, but they exist. But in CRoberts' future dream world you still have cashiers that sell you cans of coffee!

Or robots. A robot shopkeep to sell you your hotdog and ice cream cone. They could have even put in a robotic bartender like in that Passangers movie. If you're going to Archer something, make it something visually interesting.

Have the lore folks ever explained the total lack of robotics/AI in Star Citizen?

A Crobbutlerian jihad perhaps?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

lobsterminator posted:

I'm sure the SC forums have people right now fantasizing about being able to work at one of those coffee stands. And if they work hard for 10 hours a day for 5 years, they can buy a starter level ship in-game without paying IRL money.

Currently they're fantasising about... this

quote:

:reddit: Everything Wrong With The MSR and CiGs Ship Design

Firstly im going to start with the MSR and how much of a MASSIVE dissapointment it was to me. Ive already seen CiG neglect living space on other ships and the obscene over use of elevators and hoped the MSR would be different, a change for the better. No. Instead i see a HUGE amount of wasted space, an elevator prone to accidents when there should just be a drat stair case, and basically no where to eat.

Everything Wrong With The MSR:

1. The Elevator. It is so pointless to have an elevator there that you dont even need to use it, you can just climb up the wall, and if you do use the elevator, when its up you cant even get down again without using it. Also when you at the bottom and the elevator is up, there is no guard to stop people from getting caught under it when it comes back down again. When was the last time you heard of someone getting stuck on stairs because the power went out? When have you heard of stairs malfunctioning and needing regular maintainence to be fixed. NEVER. Stairs work better than elevators. There is space for it, it only travels half a floor. I have legs and i want to use them. And on a real world note, Stairs dont have complex coding and buttons and moving parts that you need to keep track of and make sure they work in your game.

2. The Living Space. Data Running and Cargo are going to be some long term ventures. Neiche trade routes and unexplored areas are going to be far from establishments, meaning people will need to eat and sleep and live together for several days to over a week and on this ship we have a shelf for a "kitchen" and no where to eat. Never before have i related to a Rimworld NPC so much before when they complain about eating without a table. What am i ment to do? eat off of the chess table? Im either kneeling on the ground or hanging off the edge of the seat hunched over trying to each the table, then im getting crumbs and stuff everywhere its just a mess, a mess meant for a MESS HALL. Its so unimersive seeing no where to eat and it infuriates me. Some ships you can argue they are meant for overnight trips when there is a bed and food dispencer just for snacking and resting but the MSR is meant for longer trips as stated above.

3. The Chess Table. The only reason is here is because the Melenium Falcon had one and even then the implementation is HORRIBLE. Where are the players supposed to sit? The chair is only on one side and is over a metre away and the other side has nothing, and when both players are kneeling no one can get past to the food dispencer. "It hides the trap door" is a bad argument when no other trap door on the ship is hidden and one is in the middle of an open hallway in plain view of the server room.

I would be a complete rear end in a top hat here if i just bitched about the MSR with suggesting my own fix. As you can see below in the drawing i have to the best of my abbility recreated the MSR interior in paint. Its not perfect as ive only seen tours of the ship but i feel its accurate enought to get my point across. The red highlights are spaces i feel are completely wasted with absolutely no purpose whatsoever and should be eleminated. The magenta is the red but its hallway space so it has A purpose and sometimes (like to the bridge) its unavoidable in the design. Blue Spots are doors with the faded dot being a suggestion and lastly the green is the servers, just though it would be good if i highlighted what the lines meant. Note the deadspace in the oversized hallway to the hallway to the bridge, the emptyness of the scanner room and the nothingness between scanning and rec.

Compare that to my slight redesign, Ive moved the servers into the scanner room thus filling in that deadspace giving it a purpose without obscructing the trapdoor leaving it still usefull. That one change gave me enough room to basically double the Recreation room allowing for a proper kitchen area and table to eat up and space for a proper chess table and chairs. Please take note CiG i want the MSR to be good i really do. Even with the bad design im still really tempted to get one, maybe not with real money but in game. Implementing my changed would completely convince me its worth the purchase.

My MSR

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or robots. A robot shopkeep to sell you your hotdog and ice cream cone. They could have even put in a robotic bartender like in that Passangers movie. If you're going to Archer something, make it something visually interesting.

Have the lore folks ever explained the total lack of robotics/AI in Star Citizen?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12977-News-Update-WILL-WE-NEVER-LEARN

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lobsterminator posted:

Maybe it's like how Benjamin Sisko's father ran a restaurant because he enjoyed the work? In the far off future of infinite possibility, there will be people whose deepest desire is to stand at a coffee stall for eight hours getting shouted at for mixing a tall skinny Lesnichino wrong.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Slow_Moe posted:

Remind me, was Crysis an open world game? If yes, what's the problem CIG is facing here?

Not really. It was a large map that had linear objectives, so while you could explore, you couldn't do anything. More like Arma than RDR2.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dynastocles posted:

Not really. It was a large map that had linear objectives, so while you could explore, you couldn't do anything. More like Arma than RDR2.

Sounds very much like an open world game that you're describing here. That makes me think that it is not really the engine that's the main issue here, especially not with all the talent from crytek that CIG scooped up.

I think the problem is with CIG entirely, but it's such a giant pile of incompetence, I doubt we will never really find the root cause.

Tane :trustme:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's been 3000 new posts over the weekend, must mean SC has released? When is free fly, also if you've free flown before can you do it again?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Robotic bars/bartenders already exist and I doubt they require some Skynet-like advanced AI. But if SC's universe depends on CR's imagination, it means you get 90s but with bolted steel.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Aramoro posted:

There's been 3000 new posts over the weekend, must mean SC has released? When is free fly, also if you've free flown before can you do it again?

Yes you can as your account already exists, but you may have to faff about finding the free download link on their site as they never make it easy (any obvious link usually goes to a game package). Next free fly is during their "IAE 2950" event from Nov 20 through Dec 2

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/AAYH5vA.mp4

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Slow_Moe posted:

Sounds very much like an open world game that you're describing here. That makes me think that it is not really the engine that's the main issue here, especially not with all the talent from crytek that CIG scooped up.

I think the problem is with CIG entirely, but it's such a giant pile of incompetence, I doubt we will never really find the root cause.

Tane :trustme:

It definitely wasn't open world, the were invisible walls between chunks of the island even though I think the whole island was modelled. You had more options than you might have got in a cod campaign but it was no arma that's for sure.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I can't believe this scam is still going on lmao.

Alot
Oct 21, 2020

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

$334,069,420

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Good news is this is going to get better.

For comedy. Not for you Relic, sorry.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

AbstractNapper posted:

Good news is this is going to get better.

For comedy. Not for you Relic, sorry.

Its always made me laugh how the issues others have with CIG are always discounted by people like Relic, right up until they get hosed.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pixelate posted:

quote:

3. The Chess Table. The only reason is here is because the Melenium Falcon had one and even then the implementation is HORRIBLE. Where are the players supposed to sit? The chair is only on one side and is over a metre away and the other side has nothing, and when both players are kneeling no one can get past to the food dispencer. "It hides the trap door" is a bad argument when no other trap door on the ship is hidden and one is in the middle of an open hallway in plain view of the server room.

the players are supposed to T-pose upon the table itself, as is future custom.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lobsterminator posted:

I would imagine, to steal from another movie :lol:, Minority Report. Where if you looked at something it would know who you are and you'd get like custom ads and what not. I imagine buying stuff the same way in these rich high traffic areas. You set up a scanner and when the guy goes to pull something it scans them and knows it's you and both charges you and releases the item automatically thanks to future computer and Internet capabilities.

But you always have to realize CR is WW2 in space, so none of the technology the people in the world take for granted actually makes sense because the people themselves don't belong in that era.

But in the end it's a video game, where the art of cool is the primary thing so it's all whatever. :)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man after playing so many Yakuza games, the first thing I wanna do when I get to Japan is purchase and consume a Boss coffee.

Boss coffee is actually surprisingly good for what it is. I like sweet stuff so its latte really hit the spot when I needed a hot drink.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They used to sell several boss varieties on US amazon though apparently not at present https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PMNR4FR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XkKNEb4YQ68WJ. Ah, the heart pines for nihon's superior canned drinks :japan:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Putting NPC shopkeepers with the thousand yard stare serves the purpose of making the server feel populated and "lived in", with the added benefit of not requiring a lot of AI/scripting, since they are not supposed to move.

The last benefit is for us: we get to laugh at these utterly bland and boring NPCs, sincce they seem to lack the talent for making interesting shopkeepers.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

It's not just lack of creativity and talent, but also going for the low hanging fruit just to get something out there and keep the pretense they are actually developing a game.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Also, if all shops were automated, it would further undermine the need for FPS sequences and lean towards the menu abstraction formula of other, evil, space games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

This is just fan fiction. This person thinks that their fellow gamers will be cooped up with them for literally DAYS to 'run data' round Stanton, and they will be worrying about where to do the cooking.

"Data Running and Cargo are going to be some long term ventures. Neiche trade routes and unexplored areas are going to be far from establishments, meaning people will need to eat and sleep and live together for several days to over a week and on this ship we have a shelf for a "kitchen" and no where to eat."

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Pixelate posted:

"What have you drawn there, Johnny? Oh, it's another spaceship. Very nice."

'Yes dear, I'm well aware he's 38."

"No, he's welcome to live here as long as he likes, aren't you Johnny?"

"Oh, it looks like he's gone back to do his web camera space game show, or whatever it is he does in there all day."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

Its always made me laugh how the issues others have with CIG are always discounted by people like Relic, right up until they get hosed.

Every hard core backer believes firmly that CIG is their family. Right up until they realize they aren't.

Sometimes they look past it and jump in again.

Sometimes they realize it's one of those "always has been" memes and they feel grief.

Most of the time though they say "eh gently caress it, it was only $60 six years ago... they can keep it" and they venture off into the sunset never to be seen again.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gravity_Storm posted:

This is just fan fiction. This person thinks that their fellow gamers will be cooped up with them for literally DAYS to 'run data' round Stanton, and they will be worrying about where to do the cooking.

"Data Running and Cargo are going to be some long term ventures. Neiche trade routes and unexplored areas are going to be far from establishments, meaning people will need to eat and sleep and live together for several days to over a week and on this ship we have a shelf for a "kitchen" and no where to eat."

I too plan to map out every inch of the whole one system the game will provide and run data between two or three points of interest and worry about the food stocks aboard the scrappy vessel we all live in JUST LIKE THAT ONE TV SHOW I SAW AND WANT TO RELIVE!!!

While XxCapFukNutzxX and others who are trying to play the actual game are killing us constantly.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If real life behaved like Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJu3H_9f-DI

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mr Fronts posted:

"Oh, it looks like he's gone back to do his web camera space game show, or whatever it is he does in there all day."

This dumbass didn't even add in the bathrooms. Are we sure he's a real citizen?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Youll go to the vending machine for a coffee but walk away with a beer thinking dam I really like boss coffee !

Japan is awesome.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

This dumbass didn't even add in the bathrooms. Are we sure he's a real citizen?

Complains about wasted space in his scrappy space pirates ship. His solution is to triple the size of the kitchen a space that currently serves no purpose. Says it's terrible but still might buy one maybe not with real cash though.

I would not be surprised if he is struggling using or understanding bathrooms though.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Mr Fronts posted:

This is Chris trying to give direction to the team after he has been kicked off the project.

!!! NoooO M3ss hall ?!?!?! Do it like this !!!!! Here is my vision in paint now just add some code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That is sure one magical.... spaceship?
Lile what are the red lines with the blue dots on the end? Magical graivty goo or something?