Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe Ol’ Russ is just washed. It happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

sponges posted:

Maybe Ol’ Russ is just washed. It happens.

He's still good, it's just apparent that:

1. He can't be relied on 100% to carry the team when the defense constantly shits the bed
2. He still needs to balance with a running game

Every team deals with injuries but having your RB1/2 and your CB1/2 out for consecutive weeks (maybe even another considering Thursday night!) is just really hard to overcome.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Russ has more supporting offensive weapons over the recent game stretch than he did in that 2019 or that 2016. He's looked worse these last few games than he did in those stretches you mentioned.

The streak isn't the issue here. The play that led the streak is the issue. Your central conceit is that Russ looked good against bad teams but bad against good teams because he is being asked to do too much and that he feels the pressure. Which is absurd because most of his career has been "lovely coaching has put Seattle into a position where they need Russ to win the game on the last two drives".

He looks different, something is up. This isn't like his regular slumps.

He has two deep threats and nothing else. Seattle has no run game and no intermediate passing game and no reliable check down. He needs a Doug Baldwin. He’s also trying to keep pace with the defense that’s literally historically bad.

Tom Brady has a ton of fourth quarter comebacks and lead probably the most famous one of all time and against the Saints last week he couldn’t tell the difference between his own players and the other team. Russ isn’t actually a robot and like every other athlete in the world he is not immune to making mistakes when he’s forced to try and make things happen.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It is fun watching him deal with this historically bad defense. It’s a defense that turns the opposing qb into the max ypg Peyton manning.

Swain is developing nicely into that third WR who can run the possession routes underneath. Plus Seattle has 99,000 TEs on the roster. The WR depth was a big ??? For the off-season and it’s nice to see that rookie Swain seems to be a future contributor.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Still, I think it’s fair to say that the top two storylines of 2020 NFC W football have been the emergence of the cards and the unexpected success of the supremely injured 49ers.

The Cardinals are especially cool because their offense is fun as hell, but also their defense took a big step forward. They appeared to have good defensive pieces over the last couple years but it came together this season (relatively).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The cards defense also has good matchups for the rest of the year. Their remaining non-conference games are Philly, New England and the Giants.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I can't believe that the 49ers were cursed the year they get to play the NFC East :sigh:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The cards defense also has good matchups for the rest of the year. Their remaining non-conference games are Philly, New England and the Giants.

we are going to drop at least one of those, probably the giants.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The 49ers lost ANOTHER running back!?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Maybe Russ looked bad because the Rams defense is actually really really good this year?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Maybe Russ looked bad because the Rams defense is actually really really good this year?

Why would anyone think that?!

The Rams' defense is better than their offense. Who would have thought that would be possible in the very early McVay era?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The 49ers lost ANOTHER running back!?

I had to read this post in the voice of the late Richard Jordan.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

Ramsey was alllll over Metcalf today. He really shut him the hell down.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Gonz posted:

I had to read this post in the voice of the late Richard Jordan.

And whenever I see Joss Ackland, I think of this:

Diplomatic Immunity

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

loving... Hasty broke his collarbone. God dammit.

He's been balling out and I really hope he showed enough that the team will keep him. They've got seven rostered RBs (and two HBs if we include the taxi squad), presumably in the offseason/spring they cut three at least?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 16, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if he was playing bad teams and now he’s not is much more believable than he’s hurt at a convenient time

Excuse me Dolphins are a good team :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

And whenever I see Joss Ackland, I think of this:

Diplomatic Immunity

Also 27th century sit-up champion Chuck De Nomolos.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Its Rinaldo posted:

Excuse me Dolphins are a good team :colbert:

Non contract year fitz!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Good: The Rams won, and held the high flying seahawks offense to 16 points.

Bad: The Rams only scored 23 points against the worst pass defense is the SB era.

The Rams' defense is what's going to win their games from here on out. The Rams' offense is pedestrian.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
IMO Russ looked like a punch-drunk boxer yesterday.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

loving... Hasty broke his collarbone. God dammit.

He's been balling out and I really hope he showed enough that the team will keep him. They've got seven rostered RBs (and two HBs if we include the taxi squad), presumably in the offseason/spring they cut three at least?

The Run giveth and the run taketh.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Laterite posted:

IMO Russ looked like a punch-drunk boxer yesterday.

He's like The Notebook sad. It's like coming home from school to find out your old man ran over your cat sad. He's got mournful skills. Sacking him is like sacking a bag full of suicide notes covered with a jersey. He's like a kid with progeria cracking all his ribs trying to protect the ball. His passes look like he's tossing old socks stuffed with spare change. I just want to buy a casket and give his career a tasteful, dignified burial.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mournful :(

Easily top 5 Venture Bros bits

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

DariusLikewise posted:

No question that was a big part of it, but he's making unforced errors at an alarming rate. The interception in the end zone is probably the worst throw of his career. Just a shockingly poor decision AND throw.

The Seahawks should have more of an intermediate passing game with all the TE's they've rostered, but the whole group only got something like 4 targets yesterday. It's like they've given up on peppering in deep shots and built the offense entirely around them. Predictably, building your offense around low % plays tanks your efficiency. That wouldn't be so bad if the defense was average, but since they're putrid it's a big ol' problem.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There was one play where Russ curled up in a ball as soon as he received the snap. There was a free edge rusher (I think it was Floyd) that he picked up, so he knew right away he was done. He seemed really spooked by the Rams pass rush and forced all kinds of poo poo before plays had time to devop. The defense we knew was bad, but I think the o-line got exposed as not being the level of mediocre we all hoped it finally was.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Schwack posted:

No question that was a big part of it, but he's making unforced errors at an alarming rate. The interception in the end zone is probably the worst throw of his career. Just a shockingly poor decision AND throw.

The Seahawks should have more of an intermediate passing game with all the TE's they've rostered, but the whole group only got something like 4 targets yesterday. It's like they've given up on peppering in deep shots and built the offense entirely around them. Predictably, building your offense around low % plays tanks your efficiency. That wouldn't be so bad if the defense was average, but since they're putrid it's a big ol' problem.

It felt like the opposite problem to me. They weren’t trying downfield at all. A bunch of intermediates and a few check downs. And like a couple of the deep shots were just wing it and pray throws, not actual deep passes.

The check downs at least make some kind of sense because defensive pressure was getting there so quickly.

But even on the few times Russ did have some time, he rarely tried to go deep.

Then again we don’t have the all-22 so who knows what coverage looked like.

Does PFR or somebody provide game break downs of check/short/intermediate/deep attempts and completions?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I know the broadcast was highlighting the few times DK got open, doubly so when Ramsey wasn't covering him, but they were almost always on plays where Russ was also pressured.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Finger Prince posted:

There was one play where Russ curled up in a ball as soon as he received the snap. There was a free edge rusher (I think it was Floyd) that he picked up, so he knew right away he was done. He seemed really spooked by the Rams pass rush and forced all kinds of poo poo before plays had time to devop. The defense we knew was bad, but I think the o-line got exposed as not being the level of mediocre we all hoped it finally was.

I think that sells the Rams defense (and Ethan Pocic honestly) very, very short.

Sometimes a team loses games and plays bad. It happens. I leave this game way more confident in the future though because the defense looked meaningfully better. If I'm counting on our defense to improve every week because Russ just can't get it done, we're in for a long season, but I do have some confidence Russ will play better moving forward.

If the defense that showed up through that game shows up the rest of the way, the Seahawks are in a much better place moving forward than if we lost a game where Russ threw 6TDs and we gave up 48 points.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams defense held Russ to no touchdowns, his 2nd lowest passing yardage output of the season, picked him twice and sacked him six times while taking the Seahawks biggest offensive weapon out of the game. They held an offense that has scored 30+ in every game this season to under 20 points. It was a great defensive performance and I'm excited to see what they can manage against the Bucs, 49ers and Cardinals the next three weeks, especially as the players grasp the system more and more and make less mistakes.

As for Russell, maybe he's just loving exhausted? Like every game can't come down to whether or not RW can make miracles happen or not, it's gotta be mentally taxing.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Good: The Rams won, and held the high flying seahawks offense to 16 points.

Bad: The Rams only scored 23 points against the worst pass defense is the SB era.

The Rams' defense is what's going to win their games from here on out. The Rams' offense is pedestrian.

It a lot of ways this feels like the most complete team they've put together during the McVay era, the defense is solid, the run game is working but Goff needs to stop being bad and they need to figure out how not to miss field goals and extra points. Letting Zuerlein go was the biggest mistake they could have ever made.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Rams defense held Russ to no touchdowns, his 2nd lowest passing yardage output of the season, picked him twice and sacked him six times while taking the Seahawks biggest offensive weapon out of the game. They held an offense that has scored 30+ in every game this season to under 20 points. It was a great defensive performance and I'm excited to see what they can manage against the Bucs, 49ers and Cardinals the next three weeks, especially as the players grasp the system more and more and make less mistakes.

As for Russell, maybe he's just loving exhausted? Like every game can't come down to whether or not RW can make miracles happen or not, it's gotta be mentally taxing.

It a lot of ways this feels like the most complete team they've put together during the McVay era, the defense is solid, the run game is working but Goff needs to stop being bad and they need to figure out how not to miss field goals and extra points. Letting Zuerlein go was the biggest mistake they could have ever made.

Yeah I very much agree. On the Rams defense, and on Russ being exhausted. Previous games showed Seattle's defense as exposed, this one exposed our offense. With no run game, questionable o-line vs a top tier pass rush, and good DBs smothering Lockett and Metcalf, there's only so much you can ask of kickass QB. On those Rams DBs, the cameras didn't show it much because they were focussed to much on Russ getting pressured and sacked, but there were a few looks that showed the guy coveting Metcalf just sticking to him like glue.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Good news! Andrew Whitworth actually has a shot of coming back and playing this season.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1328181266299162624?s=20

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Rams defense looks pretty good. It was a truly pathetic showing by the hawks from game plan to the final whistle. I atillnthink they will win 10 games but holy poo poo there were several play calls that were just so bad. Namely the 4th and 1 dumb fake out poo poo and the 3rd and 10 where they didn't even try. Just threw to the rb in the flat to make sure they could try the FG

I'm worried they are gonna take this game and say the defense isnt that bad bc they didn't give up 30.

All and all the 61 yard fg was dope tho

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kemindolo/status/1328346614302326785

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
OH NO WE SUCK AGAIN

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
for real though they're depleted and beat up and Russ cant carry them every single game, especially if someone is managing to cover DK

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

the true hero of this division

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Fans: "Let Russ cook!"

Russ:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Coldforge posted:

Fans: "Let Russ cook!"

Russ:

I was expecting the Manas steak, very disappointed in the choice of pictures.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Manoueverable posted:

I was expecting the Manas steak, very disappointed in the choice of pictures.

that's somehow worse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Guys on NFL network were pretty much saying the same thing; that Russ doesn't trust the defense, so he's trying to do it all himself.

DariusLikewise posted:

Good point about them being the most complete team. It seems McVay has realized that it's not all about offense, although I'd like to see more offensive output, but a win is a win no matter how they do it.

I had said to someone today that letting Fassel go was a bad move, and they brought up the point that maybe his release was related to that horrible fake punt call Fassel made at the end of last season, where you could see McVay yell at Fassel after the play "what the gently caress were you thinking?" The Rams' ST's are pretty lovely now that Fassel is gone. And yeah, I wish the Rams would have kept Zuerlein as well.