Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Johnny Aztec posted:

But yes, there is a creature that has a venom, or poison, that has a side effect of a deep seated sense of impending doom/dread

The Irukandji jellyfish, proof that God is real and hates us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turns out people like breathing, and when it's hard to breathe people get all grumpy and scared. This fact brought to you but scientists and brightly colored cephalopods.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Isn't that the one where, best case scenario, you survive but suffer super intense pain and dread for literally months on end? And there's confirmed cases of this lasting for years not just months? Also for some reason there's no drug or anything to alleviate that pain? And it's literally unable to function just loving kill me please god levels of pain? lol?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want an animal with some sort of toxin that just causes abstract emotional discomfort. No physical symptoms.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Taeke posted:

Isn't that the one where, best case scenario, you survive but suffer super intense pain and dread for literally months on end? And there's confirmed cases of this lasting for years not just months? Also for some reason there's no drug or anything to alleviate that pain? And it's literally unable to function just loving kill me please god levels of pain? lol?

Ah, that's the gympie!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OwlFancier posted:

I want an animal with some sort of toxin that just causes abstract emotional discomfort. No physical symptoms.

Looking for a scapegoat?

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nothing better than a corvid saying a swear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRS9K4rZ8Y

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Taeke posted:

This is a great post to follow this photo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I love how the crow goes right up to him to say it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/FarawayCounty/status/1328083487908376577?s=20

edit: Ah poo poo, it's fake. Scanned the account real quick and looked legit, but on closer inspection it's a gimmick.

AKA Pseudonym has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Nov 16, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trabant posted:

Ah, that's the gympie!

Not just a regular Gympie

but a Gympie Gympie

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed
Always thought Willy Wonka's chocolate river looked a bit off.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rasmus posted:

I'm sure it's great but it definitely is meant to kill diabetic children.

Or make them diabetic and then kill them slowly for money.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

My mother in law?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm sure it's great but it definitely is meant to kill diabetic children.

Or make them diabetic and then kill them slowly for money.

Excess sugar or even obesity do not cause diabetes by themselves, type 2 diabetes is also genetic in origin

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

It's got an initial reaction, but there are people who claim lyme disease caused their anxiety or depression.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Oh God. The blue ringed poodle is the most venomous animal known

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can see that in a correlation /= causation kind of way. The people I know that've contracted it lived in general discomfort for 1 1/2- 2 years before their doctors finally decided to test for it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The face you make after slurping all of the blue raspberry syrup out of your sno cone and are left with semi flavored ice

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Man, what a good setup for an "it is you, your posting" joke!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Excess sugar or even obesity do not cause diabetes by themselves, type 2 diabetes is also genetic in origin

See this is how Roald Dahl gets you.

You will feel bad for this.

Generations of children who never saw Gene Wilder be entertaining

hey wait a second

wikipedia posted:

Publication
Dahl's widow said that Charlie was originally written as 'a little black boy.' Dahl's biographer said the change to a white character was driven by Dahl's agent, who thought a black Charlie would not appeal to readers.[4][5]

In the first published edition, the Oompa-Loompas were described as African pygmies, and were drawn this way in the original printed edition.[4] After the announcement of a film adaptation sparked a statement from the NAACP expressing concern that the transportation of Oompa-Loompas to Wonka's factory resembled slavery, Dahl found himself sympathising with the NAACP's concerns and published a revised edition.[4] In this edition, as well as the subsequent sequel, the Oompa-Loompas were drawn as being white and appearing similar to hippies, and the references to Africa were deleted.[4]

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
yeah, dahl was somewhat decent about black folks. the uh

the same could very much not be said for how he felt about Jewish people :stonk:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

yeah, dahl was somewhat decent about black folks. the uh

the same could very much not be said for how he felt about Jewish people :stonk:

I believe he famously called Hitler "a real stinker" who was on to something with his persecution of the Jews.

Yeah, he had some bad ideas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Racism in Dahl's time and upbringing was a very different thing from modern racism. Even the "white races" were not immune if you had a cultural rivalry. People got really selective, except that at least a little antisemitism was considered normal.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

It's pupper smurf.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

Racism in Dahl's time and upbringing was a very different thing from modern racism. Even the "white races" were not immune if you had a cultural rivalry. People got really selective, except that at least a little antisemitism was considered normal.

I mean, hell the Irish weren't considered white until WW2.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah Churchill was an anti-semite.

It's really hard to wrap your brain around sometimes. It just seems like old timey casual racism. OOooh did you hear the latest Polish joke.

Well did you hear about 12 million people dying? Ah I had not heard about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulEMWj3sVA

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I believe he famously called Hitler "a real stinker" who was on to something with his persecution of the Jews.

Yeah, he had some bad ideas.

chitoryu12 posted:

could be a false flag though, he might have just been instructed by the OSI to inflame those kinds of divisions to aid in the transnational effort to transform the british mandate in Palestine into the contemporary state of Israel following ww2, as a way for the west to gain a foothold in the middle east.

e: I suppose they might have chosen him for this purpose though

please do not dogpile me wrt antisemitism, i have nothing against the Jewish people but the ongoing genocide in Israel is absolutely unconscionable

have some content why not

https://i.imgur.com/AaiL0Jn.mp4

BasicLich has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Nov 17, 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

wasn't the original source for this picture a terminally ill guy who didnt give a gently caress and just wanted to hold one of those octopus and didnt care what happened

or is this something im somehow making up in my stupid head

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

BasicLich posted:

could be a false flag though, he might have just been instructed by the OSI to inflame those kinds of divisions to aid in the transnational effort to transform the british mandate in Palestine into the contemporary state of Israel following ww2, as a way for the west to gain a foothold in the middle east.

e: I suppose they might have chosen him for this purpose though

please do not dogpile me wrt antisemitism, i have nothing against the Jewish people but the ongoing genocide in Israel is absolutely unconscionable

Oh please, elaborate on this as much as you can. :allears:

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

I'll turn this around on the UK, how often do they just... give away land -- in an oil rich region -- without strings attached, to a tiny minority who'd been displaced by a recently conquered state?

Frankly the alternative to my conspiracy theory rests on the idea that British people are charitable, giving and civilized.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

by the way i'm very excited to be expelled from the Labour party for supporting displaced populations, the exploited and the targeted of occupied Palestine

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Breetai posted:

Oh please, elaborate on this as much as you can. :allears:

Doubly curious, as those quotes weren't published until the 80s.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

iwentdoodie posted:

Doubly curious, as those quotes weren't published until the 80s.

thankfully I used weasel words like "it's possible" and "perhaps", forgive me if I don't give OSI spies the benefit of the doubt

If you want to know more about the insane world of espionage and statecraft following ww2 there are plenty of works out there which way or may not be true, but its certainly true that these are stories

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Everyone should be aware that the only seafood to have delicately balanced on your nose in Australia is the chocolate starfish.

Rasmus posted:

Indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cable Guy posted:

Everyone should be aware that the only seafood to have delicately balanced on your nose in Australia is the chocolate starfish.

Indeed.

Furry clams are an acceptable substitute if available.