Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Waffleman_ posted:

I would wager the only reason HoloEN hasn't turned a profit yet is due to them only being around for 2 months so far and still recouping the upfront costs.
Since they've been buying their own PCs and misc stuff the only upfront costs I can possibly imagine are

iPhone 10 (For the rig)
The rig
Paying the EN manager(s)

That's like maybe $10-$15k at best? Even if it was $100k upfront costs some of the girls have made well more than that solo by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Overbite posted:

Haachama chose the worst place for her mech. There’s exactly one spot where it should not be and that is behind the Subangelion but there it is. I don’t even know if it’s facing the right way.

Yeah I saw someone else puttering around the 5th gen house and they went to Botan's little viewing platform which has great views of Pekodam and Mikochar, but Subangelion is like just on the very edge of draw distance so partially pops in, and Haachama's construction is completely unseen.

Bit of a shame, I feel like they should all be positioned for optimum viewing from that vantage!

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Since they've been buying their own PCs and misc stuff the only upfront costs I can possibly imagine are

iPhone 10 (For the rig)
The rig
Paying the EN manager(s)

That's like maybe $10-$15k at best? Even if it was $100k upfront costs some of the girls have made well more than that solo by now

Out of those, the L2D costs (which I assume you mentioned as the rig) can still be pretty expensive when taken into account the actual 2d art and 3d rigging, plus there could be some licensing costs here and there, marketing, BGMs, etc.

No doubt they are profitable given their explosive success and even the lower viewership JP talents are not in risk of going away, I believe.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

RealFoxy posted:

iPhone 10 (For the rig)
The rig
Paying the EN manager(s)

You also have to take into consideration the rest of the support staff (and their equipment too) that goes into getting that to work like HR, Finance, Legal and the massive layers of middle management that accompanies every corporation.

Joking aside, they're probably also counting the yearly salary for everyone attached upfront so it makes sense that they're not profitable (yet). I can't imagine it'll stay like that for long though, considering the big growth EN and ID to an extent has seen recently.

E: VVV Yeah, it's definitely the case of "the juice not worth the squeeze" in that situation.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 16, 2020

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I imagine Yagoo's statement shouldn't be read as "we're not turning a profit, so they're gone", but, rather, "we're not turning a profit, which Bilibili already takes a bite out of, and now the market has shown itself to be incredibly hostile, to the point of causing issues to our main branch, so that's clearly not a venture worth maintaining."

I don't imagine any of the girls, even ID, are in any real danger because (1) even the ones with smaller sub counts still have a bigger fanbase than 90% of other Vtubers, (2) the markets and fanbases are (usually) well behaved, and (3) Cover ditching household names simply because they're not meeting a certain SC quota would cause incredible blowback on top of likely ruffling the feathers of the remaining talents.

Way I see it, profitability isn't a major enough factor to push Cover to shut down a branch (at least not while they're likely turning their biggest profit thus far with the explosive growth the Hololive brand saw this year).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

Can you imagine sending money to someone to tell them you're angry? Like handing someone a check were the memo is "gently caress you"

If they were independent on twitch they'd just call them idiots for giving them 5 bucks.

Some streamers have doubled or tripled in size and gotten a whole lot money by being designated punching bags with cancerous chats. Quinn69 was like a 1-2k streamer before he became sort of the designated joke poe streamer where people would send him donations telling him his builds were zdps trash and laughing at him whenever he RIPed on a hardcore character. He pulls 5-10x the numbers he did before and his stream is basically non stop text to speech donations making fun of him. He's fine with it because they are bankrolling his house.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Let’s be real, if any Hololive branch is gonna close due to profitability it’ll be Holostars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HoloEN will become wildly profitable when they put out a Bloop plushie (or just merch in general) and not a second earlier.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

njsykora posted:

HoloEN will become wildly profitable when they put out a Bloop plushie (or just merch in general) and not a second earlier.

Giant Gucci Tentacle plushie first :colbert:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Holostars could be bigger but has no push behind it. Roberu blew up because of a meme and his nonstop schedule but they don’t get the sponsorships or any of the things live gets. Still doing better than most indie vtubers. I feel stars may be more popular outside of Japan. Their among us streams were pretty big.

Speaking of, Matsuri was streaming among us with her chat but has yet to be in one of the collabs.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkCfQ_XWNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1_nYDRr7IM
Decisive Battle starts playing in the background...

Misanthropic Void
Oct 9, 2012

The shubangelion is definitely a head turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgxkD_1ER3g

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFK7UOEvz8

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Overbite posted:

Pekora has pushed ID more than cover has.

The minecraft shenanigans have pushed some of the lesser-watched holo girls quite a bit, which is why there are so many MC streams right now. And, once the big streamers log off, some of their viewers go watch the other girls, it's win-win.

Schneider Heim posted:

I've seen Monogatari series, does Made In Abyss get worse than that

Also Calli's sleepy ASMR stream is great and she just reached 650k. Someone left a nasty SC due to the podcast though and thankfully it was buried underneath all the well-wishing.

Completely different shows. Monogatari is just your "average" perverted stuff. Made in Abyss does not hold its punches with physical suffering and body horror (plus the skeevy child stuff)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay I'm only on episode 4 of MiA but you guys are making me reconsider watching it :stare:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just watch it if you're enjoying it and stop watching it if you stop enjoying it

this is easy

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

Okay I'm only on episode 4 of MiA but you guys are making me reconsider watching it :stare:

The show is, IMO, fine and season 1 ends before any of the real nasty hosed up poo poo happens (and before the best manga/anime villain in years begins to out-rear end in a top hat anybody in recent memory)

If you don't enjoy it then just drop it because the show has a very clear and purposeful descent into madness

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hololive was a middling cast of vtubers that barely made money before Gen 4 with Coco's Hello Mother Fuckers heavily pushing towards the western market.

They were never good at promoting compared to the bigger companies above them, even today.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Welp, Aqua gave Coco a "konaqua *kaomoji*" during the Minecraft stream and, as you might imagine, insane antis are not happy to see the implosion of their narrative of how she is totally on their side and hates Coco, you guys.

Her stream already had some spam (plus a red SC with a hate message sent from HK, which is just...wow), bilibili subs are down, MC stream got 400+ dislikes which is way more than she usually has.

Dunno how her twitter tags are doing, but I imagine they might be crusading there as well.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33poHX4ejc

Haachama has realised the problem with her robot's positioning, alas too late.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

Hololive was a middling cast of vtubers that barely made money before Gen 4 with Coco's Hello Mother Fuckers heavily pushing towards the western market.

They were never good at promoting compared to the bigger companies above them, even today.

Really? Are you not conflating that it just happened to be the moment it started growing in the west? Sora was, for a time, the top vtuber in all the markets before being overtaken by Fubuki. Coco might one day seem like small change compared to newer talent just like Sora is now days. Are we gonna be saying that hololive was middling then too?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Really? Are you not conflating that it just happened to be the moment it started growing in the west? Sora was, for a time, the top vtuber in all the markets before being overtaken by Fubuki. Coco might one day seem like small change compared to newer talent just like Sora is now days. Are we gonna be saying that hololive was middling then too?

When was Sora _ever_ a top vtuber? Even when she hit it big during that one Christmas she's always been far behind other vtuber talents. Hololive dominates the charts nowadays, but that's a very recent development.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shyrka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33poHX4ejc

Haachama has realised the problem with her robot's positioning, alas too late.

Poor Haachama, she should have gone to the iron machine to see how it looked from there (since everybody goes there to "borrow" iron anyways). Hopefully she'll make a MkII.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hololive could be the most successful vtuber company ever and cover would anyways say that they are barely making enough money. Unless they make their numbers public (they won't) we won't know.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Unless I missed something, Sora was never above any of the top niji's in sub counts for the last 2 years. And "all the markets" includes Kizuna Ai which no.

If you see a chart of all the sub counts of hololive just 10 months ago, it couldn't be worlds apart from the current reality. They grew *massively* as a recent development.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Another EN vTuber "debut", but in quotes because she's actually been active on Twitch for a while, and this seems like more of a YouTube debut and/or transition. Her name is Leaflit and her gimmick of being a world hopping isekai character that interviews vTubers is a cute one.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Another EN vTuber "debut", but in quotes because she's actually been active on Twitch for a while, and this seems like more of a YouTube debut and/or transition. Her name is Leaflit and her gimmick of being a world hopping isekai character that interviews vTubers is a cute one.

She's fun from what I've caught on twitch. Slime Girl!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tae posted:

Coco is one of my favorites and she probably did more for the Hololive than any other member, but casting her as some sort of messianic figure that is single-handedly responsible for its success is pretty weird. As is calling talent like Korone, Miko, Pekora, Fubuki, Marine or Aqua "a middling cast of vtubers". Like if you think that Korone or Fubuki would never captivate western audience and make it big without Coco, I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was gonna say, like Korone's Banjo Kazooie stuff was what blew vtubers up in my mind. Anyway the current vtuber god is certainly living large right now.
https://twitter.com/gawrgura/status/1328448510925090816

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

njsykora posted:

I was gonna say, like Korone's Banjo Kazooie stuff was what blew vtubers up in my mind. Anyway the current vtuber god is certainly living large right now.
https://twitter.com/gawrgura/status/1328448510925090816

Seems like a splurge from her after we had lore of an apparently incredible amount of detail on how to deconstruct and reheat McDonald's burgers.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 16, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As of today, the SC earnings are as follow:

With Marine and Korone in the top10 and Flare, Matsuri, Kanata, Noel and Miko in the top20 (The Hololive Fantasy dominance). As usual, Coco has the most SCs by far while Rushia gets the most money per SC.

If you limit the search to the last month then Gura is 4th, Calli 5th (those Canadians!), Kiara 8th, Ame 18th, and Ina 47th. Kiara in particular has grown a lot lately for obvious reasons. EN is doing extremely well. e: BTW, Calli's numbers are all weird because she gets plenty of SC storms so her $ avg per SC is quite higher than Rushia's which is wild.

The Holo-IN girls have a nice amount of subscribers but very little SC action in comparison with the others, including the more popular Holostars like Roberu, Astel or Aruran

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 16, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The ID girls use streamlabs for direct donations don't they

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 16, 2020

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Brunom1 posted:

Welp, Aqua gave Coco a "konaqua *kaomoji*" during the Minecraft stream and, as you might imagine, insane antis are not happy to see the implosion of their narrative of how she is totally on their side and hates Coco, you guys.

Her stream already had some spam (plus a red SC with a hate message sent from HK, which is just...wow), bilibili subs are down, MC stream got 400+ dislikes which is way more than she usually has.

Dunno how her twitter tags are doing, but I imagine they might be crusading there as well.

This was bound to happen sooner or later and Aqua has already been getting hate on by the extremists with Mea's concert where they bullied Mea and the production team into not having "Cover's Aqua" being included on a concert that is being dual broadcasts on NicoNico and Billibili. At this point its nothing new from the extremist and their goal post moving. They're still disliking all of Coco's videos. At this point its just sad and contrived.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

How is Coco so bad/unlucky at Minecraft?
https://youtu.be/RHmO5mUX8gg

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Saagonsa posted:

The ID girls use streamlabs for direct donations don't they

I think so. Youtube has restrictions in Indonesia I believe so you can't Superchat.

In other more positive news Towa once again proves that she's the most dark and evil of the demons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saqLnEimgDI

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I discovered the holostars secret to get more SCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jFCschy1w

It's so obvious in retrospect.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Ina's my favorite so kind of a bummer she's so low, but I have to think her indifference to reading superchats plays a part there. Are membership numbers tracked anywhere?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

joe football posted:

Ina's my favorite so kind of a bummer she's so low, but I have to think her indifference to reading superchats plays a part there. Are membership numbers tracked anywhere?

https://playboard.co/en/channel/UCMwGHR0BTZuLsmjY_NT5Pwg/subscribers (e: Oh, I thought you meant subscribers)

(And 47th is only "low" compared to the other EN girls. It's still pretty drat good)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 16, 2020

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

joe football posted:

Membership numbers are pretty secret for some reason. You can't even see the number of viewers in members only streams to get a rough idea.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

as far as I'm aware membership numbers aren't publicly available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Other than a couple questionable bots spamming tags and a Japanese blog post link mentioning the immediate stream reaction to her greeting Coco, Aqua's twitter tags are pretty much looking normal right now. The dislike bomb is pretty tiny all told and while I can't really comment on the bili numbers going down other than that was bound to start happening sooner or later, the only reddit coverage I've seen so far has been from users clearly trying to stir poo poo or who were going off info from aforementioned shitstirrers.