Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Three Olives posted:

Well, keep in mind device costs, surcharges, taxes, fees , just gently caress you charges, etc.

When I finally made my husband give up U-Verse we were paying almost in much in fees, surcharges than we were in actual service costs. Like, seriously, $10 a month per TV for the box, plus a HDTV surcharge? Hulu Live works better on ever device in the house on a Firestick than it does on your $17 a month POS cable box.

Also, no contract so you can cancel at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

plus a HDTV surcharge

LOL... I shouldn't be surprised that this is still a thing. An additional charge for HDTV.... in 2020.

And the industry wonders why they are losing subscribers in droves.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Dumb question on home audio and various Apple TVs, Chromecasts, and other things dangling off the TV: how do these work with a soundbar? Can I have all these things going into my upcoming 4K TV, and then have an HDMI/Optical cord going from the TV to the soundbar and get Dolby DTS (I'm too poor for Atmos) out of the soundbar with little difficulty, or am I going to need a receiver and a flowchart?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gumby posted:

Dumb question on home audio and various Apple TVs, Chromecasts, and other things dangling off the TV: how do these work with a soundbar? Can I have all these things going into my upcoming 4K TV, and then have an HDMI/Optical cord going from the TV to the soundbar and get Dolby DTS (I'm too poor for Atmos) out of the soundbar with little difficulty, or am I going to need a receiver and a flowchart?

Yeah that's how I have mine setup. Every device like an Apple TV goes into to my TV. Video goes out the TV of course and the TV is set to pipe all the audio out to the soundbar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only fee that AT&T themselves charge me (beyond some 11c 'recovery fee' whatever the hell that is) is a $9.99 'broadcast TV fee' which apparently is to do with providing the local channels. Maybe Comcast still do the HDTV thing, but AT&T don't at least. Which is good, because their hardware is pretty crummy.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that's how I have mine setup. Every device like an Apple TV goes into to my TV. Video goes out the TV of course and the TV is set to pipe all the audio out to the soundbar.

Thanks!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe Comcast still do the HDTV thing, but AT&T don't at least.

It absolutely was a fee on AT&T U-Verse when I had it up until about a year ago. And the thing is, U-Verse is multicast and they didn't offer boxes that didn't have HDMI outputs.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

It absolutely was a fee on AT&T U-Verse when I had it up until about a year ago. And the thing is, U-Verse is multicast and they didn't offer boxes that didn't have HDMI outputs.

When my parents dumped Dish Network a year or so ago, they where still being charged an "HD Receiver" fee. And an additional fee for just having a receiver period. $25ish of the bill was just various add-on fees.

They live in a rural area and just got access to broadband a little over a year ago. The minute it was installed my mother was on the phone canceling Dish.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Three Olives posted:

Maybe it’s because I go through Customer Loyalty and worked out a deal. I have the breakdown of my bill so if it was there I should see it. This is year 2 and they basically confirmed at the end of the next 12 months they’ll probably just agree to the same bundle.

My total spend for uncapped gigabit and the TV package (U200 + HBO Max) is $130 after everything. I’d prefer to be paying less but i get everything I want at least. I think to uncap the gigabit, which is $30 if you don’t have a tv package, it’d be like... $100 or so.

Suppose.tv would say if I wanted a legit steaming package that contained my local sport I’d probably then be adding like $80 on top of that, and the lovely Sinclair owned ones I have to deal with are going through spats with the providers right now anyway. So sadly for me, traditional cable is still the best way to go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe it’s because I go through Customer Loyalty and worked out a deal. I have the breakdown of my bill so if it was there I should see it. This is year 2 and they basically confirmed at the end of the next 12 months they’ll probably just agree to the same bundle.

My total spend for uncapped gigabit and the TV package (U200 + HBO Max) is $130 after everything. I’d prefer to be paying less but i get everything I want at least. I think to uncap the gigabit, which is $30 if you don’t have a tv package, it’d be like... $100 or so.

Suppose.tv would say if I wanted a legit steaming package that contained my local sport I’d probably then be adding like $80 on top of that, and the lovely Sinclair owned ones I have to deal with are going through spats with the providers right now anyway. So sadly for me, traditional cable is still the best way to go.

Uncapping any plan (including gigabit) is a $50 add-on charge (at least in my area)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I read $30, I might be mistaken. Another factor that makes the TV feel worthwhile i guess ha.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I read $30, I might be mistaken. Another factor that makes the TV feel worthwhile i guess ha.

They may very well have changed it. I ended up sticking with my 600/30 when they said they needed to schedule a tech about 12 months ago when I asked about gigabit.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are home internet data caps something that's becoming more common, or are they on their way out?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are home internet data caps something that's becoming more common, or are they on their way out?

It goes in cycles. In recent years they were not as common but when the pandemic started and WFH really ramped up they've been reintroduced in some areas.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Mine went away through August, now until further notice we're all getting an extra 100GB before we hit an overage.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I hit on normal over 2 TBs ( kids who are PC gamers and streaming), so I had no choice but to pay Comcast an extra $50 a month for unlimited (which my kids each pay $20 a piece to me, so only $10 out of my pocket).

I do have WOW fiber in my neighborhood and I am tempted to give them a try again. Unlimited and a GB down a lot cheaper than Comcast. That said one thing I have zero patience for is internet going down or large speed drops and the reviews on WOW are mixed. I did try them when they first laid the lines but issues the first day and a cancel before a week was up. No matter how much I hate Comcast, it is up 99% of the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hulu Live TV is getting a $10 price increase. 54.99-->64.99 and ad-free is going from 60.99 to 70.99.

They're all loving expensive now and from the pricing, I think Youtube goes back to being the best option. Honestly, if you really need 'cable tv' you're probably better off with an Internet + TV bundle from your ISP.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still am happy with YTTV ($65)/Xfinity internet 200mbps ($60) for a combined $125/month........ but Consolidated has finally been rolling out their "internet TV" CCiTV package in my area in NorCal.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...d-Illinois.html
https://www.consolidated.com/residential/tv/order-tv#/
https://www.consolidated.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup

Their lineups appear to have fake channel numbers as well.

It ends up being $114 for a higher tier 175 channels/sports pack and then $35 for 100mbps internet and after fees total: $160/month. It includes 2 concurrent streams and 50hr cloud DVR....additional streams/50 more hours are $5 each. Looks like a 1 year contract on the TV and 2 year contract on the internet. iOS and android devices supported and it appears portable. It also looks like they might be forcing internet rental/equipment as well. The first 3 months are free.

If Xfinity rolls out this same type of bundled internet tv service with 200mbps, no forced equipment and it's cheaper than $160 combined I would not be surprised.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 19, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hulu Live TV is getting a $10 price increase. 54.99-->64.99 and ad-free is going from 60.99 to 70.99.

They're all loving expensive now and from the pricing, I think Youtube goes back to being the best option. Honestly, if you really need 'cable tv' you're probably better off with an Internet + TV bundle from your ISP.

Yeah. I switched off recently but signed up for Hulu Live TV because its impossible to watch basketball without some kind of live tv package. Right now I'm paying ~$155 for unlimited internet and Hulu. Before I was paying ~$150 after fees for internet and TV bundle. Having the unlimited and a faster plan is really nice, but TV wise using cable is a more enjoyable experience (play from beginning not available for this, pause but no fast forward allowed for that) and it's really easy to just call every year or two to get on a new promo plan

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 16, 2020

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've said it before but you need to be a multi-screen user for the cord-cutting to be a good deal these days. If people ask me about it and they have like a studio apartment with one TV, i advise them to go for cable.

btw when the hell is YTTV getting the rest of those Viacom channels? Hii, I'm the one guy who wants MTV Classic. I thought "Summer" was in the initial story. In seriousness it's kinda scummy to cite a bunch of channel additions to ease the blow of a significant price increase, then just hold back a bunch with no further word...

Minidust fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sling is still relatively inexpensive but now I’m just looking at Spectrum’s internet TV plan (they have a “pick any 10 channels” plan that’s appealing) or just sharing a login with someone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Sling is still relatively inexpensive but now I’m just looking at Spectrum’s internet TV plan (they have a “pick any 10 channels” plan that’s appealing) or just sharing a login with someone.

Sling was my first choice because of the price but when I put on TNT to watch a playoff game and found I couldn’t pause I said gently caress that

Sling is the only one that seems to be competing on the channel selection front like people for years were saying they wanted in regards to cable TV. But those jerks split their two base packages in such a way that I’m forced to bundle both anyway

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 17, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm setting up a new multi-generational household with my grandmother and aunt. I'm getting gigabit AT&T fiber. Both my grandmother and aunt are used to dealing with television in the context of cable or dish service with a DVR. Of all the internet TV services what is the the best one for letting them do what they are used to now, while easing them into using the more advanced features streaming services offer?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gangringo posted:

I'm setting up a new multi-generational household with my grandmother and aunt. I'm getting gigabit AT&T fiber. Both my grandmother and aunt are used to dealing with television in the context of cable or dish service with a DVR. Of all the internet TV services what is the the best one for letting them do what they are used to now, while easing them into using the more advanced features streaming services offer?

from what i've seen Youtube TV + the new Google Chromecast is one of best in terms of integration.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
ATT TV is basically a streaming service.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gangringo posted:

Just get them cable or dish service with a DVR

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

TheScott2K posted:

Just get them cable or dish service with a DVR

That might be what we end up with. I'll probably try the free trial of AT&T TV and Youtube TV and see if they like those first. They have the advantage of being able to put a TV anywhere and not running coax all over the house.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gangringo posted:

Cases like this make me wonder why more services don't offer true "channel surfing" in their UI. Pluto has it, but everything with "real channels" that I've tried still makes you pick channels from a menu. My parents and in-laws will still refer to provider-specific channel numbers when talking about something they saw on TV... switching to entirely menu-based channel selection seems like it would be a bit of a leap for them, and I feel the simple ability to change channels with a button could go a long way in easing such a transition.

Unless this is just an Apple TV thing and I'm suffering through gimped UIs due to their annoyingly sparse remote... but heck, if you can channel surf through Pluto I don't see why other services can't figure it out.

Anyway with that being said, I do recommend YTTV just for the channel lineup and top-notch DVR. There are no restrictions on pausing or fast-forwarding live/recorded content. The only exception is some VOD content with unskippable ads, which is to be expected. Speaking of VOD you even get a sort of mini-Netflix to work with, since they have a decent selection of movies on demand (with ads, but often uncensored) at any given time. And YTTV includes local channels, which I'm sure come welcome to anyone wanting a "traditional" TV experience.

Sling obviously costs less, but in my brief trial I was very put off by the inconsistent rules of when you can pause, fast-forward, etc. It varies on a channel by channel basis, so I could picture it being very frustrating to a new user coming from traditional services... unless their prior usage was SO traditional that they never got used to pausing TV in the first place, I suppose.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 18, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I'm mainly hoping to use this to bridge the gap between traditional cable and streaming. Give them the service they are used to but change the interface from a big multi-button remote with a button for each function to an on screen menu-based system with a limited roku or shield remote. After they get that we can work on navigating new apps.

And if it's a bridge too far we can always get dish.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Minidust posted:

Cases like this make me wonder why more services don't offer true "channel surfing" in their UI.

If you are channel surfing you don't really want to watch tv, you just can't think of anything better to do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XBenedict posted:

If you are channel surfing you don't really want to watch tv, you just can't think of anything better to do.

To boomers having the tv on is like turning on the lights. It needs to be always on playing something at all times no matter what. The concept of "Home, but the tv is off" is simply not something that exists. And if that thing that's on tv right that second is annoying, you have to change to something else which is why channel surfing ability is an absolute must-have because the only options are being annoyed by what's happening or changing the channel since there are no other states to human existence and boomers are like 5 year olds in that they cannot be annoyed for longer than ten seconds.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I keep my TV on for background noise, but I rely on chill retro Twitch streams for that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
People are adaptable, if they like channel surfing show them youtube. Daily Dose of Internet.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Does anyone here have the Spectrum TV Essentials? My wife and I don't watch a lot of TV so we haven't had cable for years, but we miss watching Food Network and HGTV. A while back I used to be able to log in to their apps with my Bright House/Spectrum account despite not paying for any cable at all, but that stopped working a little bit ago. I'm not really interested in live TV, I just want to login to the apps, will TV Essentials let me do that? Trying to search for an answer just pulls up how to use the Spectrum app which isn't really appealing to me.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My grandma doesn't actually channel surf. She is fairly adept at using the visual guide to find something, and using the DVR. That's why I think it might work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like Tmobile has reconfigured their streaming TV service, just saw an ad for it on Thursday Night Football. They seems to have redone the pricing and channel lineup.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tvision

Packages at $10, $40, $50 and $60 for T-mo customers only.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Humerus posted:

Does anyone here have the Spectrum TV Essentials? My wife and I don't watch a lot of TV so we haven't had cable for years, but we miss watching Food Network and HGTV. A while back I used to be able to log in to their apps with my Bright House/Spectrum account despite not paying for any cable at all, but that stopped working a little bit ago. I'm not really interested in live TV, I just want to login to the apps, will TV Essentials let me do that? Trying to search for an answer just pulls up how to use the Spectrum app which isn't really appealing to me.

If you don't mind a service, Philo is $20 a month and covers all your needs: https://www.philo.com/

Or TVision Vibe for $10 if you're a tmobile customer:

https://www.t-mobile.com/tvision/services/vibe

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 20, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Looks like Tmobile has reconfigured their streaming TV service, just saw an ad for it on Thursday Night Football. They seems to have redone the pricing and channel lineup.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tvision

Packages at $10, $40, $50 and $60 for T-mo customers only.

It looks like if you get any off their "Live" packages ($40-$60), they'll include VIBE ($10) as a free add on.

The TV+($50) has a lot of sports channels and the Zone ($60) has a poo poo ton of sports.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 20, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sorry guys guess this is my fault

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1331109299456794624?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dealing with that already. Just moved from the city to the burbs, and let me tell you, they don't run the amazing $70/mon gigabit fiber with no caps and amazing support out here, but you can get half that speed from Comcast for the same price with the 1.2Tb cap and any attempt to get in touch with a human for support involves repeatedly calling and navigating a labyrinthine phone system designed to tell you to kick rocks and fix your own drat problem.

:smithicide: