Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

haha gently caress yeah my first good page snype

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

haha gently caress yeah my first good page snype

"good"?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
apffphjpapoo look at the star trek nerds argue apoaghffahahahlol in the star trek thread of all places ahehehhoiohohohahaharhghhg Im so far above this ahafioapaaaaaa hurrr *furiously masturbates into the wind*

these guys actually make me want to go back and watch these episodes again, good posts don't stop

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i'm the cool guy in the star trek thread. flexing my large arms and saying "enjoying the gun show, ladies? incorrect, these are phasers"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sweet geek swag posted:

Wait, but in Journey's End the Federation was supposed to evacuate all the colonies on the Cardassian side of the border. It also looks like Calvin Hudson is referring to all the people he is responsible for advising as being in Cardassian territory. Sure looks like they renegotiated the treaty to me!
they didn't change the treaty so that the federation could have colonies on the cardassian side of the border. they didn't want to forcibly evict colonists so they simply ejected them from the federation so that the federation wouldn't be in violation of a treaty they had already signed. that's why the federation won't help the maquis, because if they did then it would be an admission that they are federation colonies and that would breach that peace treaty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

oh but seriously I posted:

i'm the cool guy in the star trek thread. flexing my large arms and saying "enjoying the gun show, ladies? incorrect, these are phasers"

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tighclops posted:

apffphjpapoo look at the star trek nerds argue apoaghffahahahlol in the star trek thread of all places ahehehhoiohohohahaharhghhg Im so far above this ahafioapaaaaaa hurrr *furiously masturbates into the wind*

these guys actually make me want to go back and watch these episodes again, good posts don't stop

I hate it when mommy and daddy disagree about the political situation of the Maquis within the demilitarized zone between the Cardassian Union and the United Federation of Planets :emo:

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Today I watched the episode of Voyager where a virus gets massive and devours Neelix. Then Janeway turns into Ripley/Rambo for the episode and shoots a load of the massive viruses with a rifle, which makes them explode into goo.

I wish it was as exciting as it sounded.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

I hate it when mommy and daddy disagree about the political situation of the Maquis within the demilitarized zone between the Cardassian Union and the United Federation of Planets :emo:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

womb with a view posted:

Today I watched the episode of Voyager where a virus gets massive and devours Neelix. Then Janeway turns into Ripley/Rambo for the episode and shoots a load of the massive viruses with a rifle, which makes them explode into goo.

I wish it was as exciting as it sounded.
that episode really is the platonic ideal of something that sounds cool only on paper

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghostlight posted:

they didn't change the treaty so that the federation could have colonies on the cardassian side of the border. they didn't want to forcibly evict colonists so they simply ejected them from the federation so that the federation wouldn't be in violation of a treaty they had already signed. that's why the federation won't help the maquis, because if they did then it would be an admission that they are federation colonies and that would breach that peace treaty.

Yes, this is what I am saying.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/BeffernieBlack/status/1328409531949457408?s=19

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
It was not the first time in star trek that libertarian federation settler colonists had ended up places they had no right to be.

They should have sent Data to deal with the maquis!

DATA: You know of the Sheliak threat. Starfleet wishes to evacuate you for your own protection. Yet Gosheven has decided otherwise. That is his right, And I will not waste time trying to reverse that decision. I admire your conviction in the face of certain defeat. Though doomed, your effort will be valiant. And when you die, you will die for land and honour. Your children will understand that they are dying for a worthy cause. Long after the battle is over, their courage will be remembered and extolled.
ARD'RIAN: Remembered by who?
DATA: Yes, that is true. There will be no one left alive to remember.
GOSHEVEN: (applauding) A valiant try, android, but what a low opinion you must have of us.
DATA: I was simply attempting to describe your inevitable destruction in a manner that would have an emotional effect.
HARITATH: And he describes it pretty damned well.'

Applied just as well to the maquis who did, in fact, all end up dying for land and honor.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 16, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only way to settle this is with Anbo-jyutsu imo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The

U L T I M A T E

E V O L U T I O N

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i'm off the wagon and back on the DISCO

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I guess the bigger question about the Maquis is less whether they were right or wrong and more, how is it that the DS9 writers failed in portrayal of them? Because they're meant to be sympathetic in their goals at least. The idea behind them is, you know, these are innocent Federation colonists who want to live their life in peace, who were betrayed by the Federation and are now trying to defend themselves from the Cardassians who want to wipe them out, and that, as per Sisko's "It's easy to be a saint in paradise" speech, the concerns of the colony worlds are being forgotten by the Federation core worlds, who don't care about their problems.

So, I don't know how typical this thread is of DS9 viewers, but obviously, with a lot of the people in this thread, at least, the writers failed to make them sympathetic. So if you're the DS9 writers, and you have to introduce a Maquis storyline, how do you make the Maquis and the colonists on the Cardassian border sympathetic?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
to me its extremely hard to justify fighting for any thing in a post scarcity society. theres probably a million uninhabited class m planets and no reason to believe you would not be materially supported in colonizing a new place. killing people for land is not very star trek

The General
Mar 4, 2007

By having the Maquis go "Alright, we'll leave this contested space for another planet." then having the Cardassians show up and blow up a bunch of Maquis for no real reason other than because they can while whomever is representing starfleet repeatedly hails "Wait, we have another 2 weeks! Your government said two more weeks!" Then I could see being a little sympathetic towards a rogue group of Maquis going around and blowing up Cardassian poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

Yes, this is what I am saying.

lol where?

you, repeatedly posted:

Picard renegotiated the treaty

Epicurius posted:

I guess the bigger question about the Maquis is less whether they were right or wrong and more, how is it that the DS9 writers failed in portrayal of them? Because they're meant to be sympathetic in their goals at least. The idea behind them is, you know, these are innocent Federation colonists who want to live their life in peace, who were betrayed by the Federation and are now trying to defend themselves from the Cardassians who want to wipe them out, and that, as per Sisko's "It's easy to be a saint in paradise" speech, the concerns of the colony worlds are being forgotten by the Federation core worlds, who don't care about their problems.

So, I don't know how typical this thread is of DS9 viewers, but obviously, with a lot of the people in this thread, at least, the writers failed to make them sympathetic. So if you're the DS9 writers, and you have to introduce a Maquis storyline, how do you make the Maquis and the colonists on the Cardassian border sympathetic?

That's the thing that makes the maquis fail. The federation cared. They were not only offering to move the colonists, they told them repeatedly that they will also help them rebuild on the new planets.

And remember too these colonies are all pretty young. There's no ancestral homes. There's no history. Thats why they're not sympathetic. They're just being assholess

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

CainFortea posted:

That's the thing that makes the maquis fail. The federation cared. They were not only offering to move the colonists, they told them repeatedly that they will also help them rebuild on the new planets.

And remember too these colonies are all pretty young. There's no ancestral homes. There's no history. Thats why they're not sympathetic. They're just being assholess

Would they have been more sympathetic to you if they had been there longer? If it had been something like, "Our ancestors colonized this place 100 years ago and lived in peace"?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Epicurius posted:

Would they have been more sympathetic to you if they had been there longer? If it had been something like, "Our ancestors colonized this place 100 years ago and lived in peace"?

Yes, Mr. Data. That would make them more sympathetic.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

who threw the lamer parties, the fed or the marqui? the marquis probably had real booze, at least

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Epicurius posted:

Yes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Prim Directive states I must educate these boorish Changelings on matters of etiquette

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

if their colonies were generational and had only recently come into dispute due to rising tensions between the union and the federation rather than being barely a decade old in unrecognised space then i would be more sympathetic to the >forty-year old insurgents threatening almost a trillion people with a resumed war over their turnip farm larp.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they are bad peopel they are C.H.U.D.S. they could have just moved to one of 100,000,000,000 other planets but they'll be damned if some dirty spoonhead gets to tell THEWM what to do

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tighclops posted:

the discussion itself is a jerk off thread about how many limited examples they can cite and twist to prove their point.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

To seek out new life and new civilizations, and then to have complicated territorial disputes with them over a handful of planets...

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Eddington was an annoying theatre kid and it was extremely satisfying to see Sisko wreck his poo poo

So I would argue a successful portrayal, overall

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Keeping Hudson alive and in the mix of the simmering Maquis plot rather than shunting him away and killing him offscreen would have been a good contrast to Eddington's smarmy heel turn. I liked the Eddington-Sisko dynamic but Hudson was much more balanced and sympathetic. Perhaps showing a conflict between the three of them culminating in Hudson's death might have played better.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

CainFortea posted:

lol where?

I don't think that the guy I was replying to was claiming that there wasn't a new agreement, from what I saw they said that the new agreement wasn't so that the Federation could put colonies on the Cardassian side of the border. And I have agreed with that the entire time.

My analysis of the Maquis in general is that they have a tendency to do the stupidest possible thing. The Cardassians start using third parties to arm Cardassian settlers in the DMZ, so the Maquis attack one of those third parties in a Federation administered port. Benjamin Sisko is the senior Starfleet Officer in the region, making him the one person they shouldn't piss off, and then they blow up a freighter docked at his station, attack his runabouts, steal his starship, and finally subvert his top Starfleet security man who then constantly taunts and enrages him.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

oh but seriously I posted:

who threw the lamer parties, the fed or the marqui? the marquis probably had real booze, at least

Fed parties were all pretending not to yawn to classical jazz ensembles over sparkling apple juice capped with a lecture about the plants on some planet you’ve never heard of

Marquis parties were shotgunning synth booze and weed with a bunch of college libertarians tediously mis-explaining Ludwig bin Mises at you.

The better party is Marquis because you have a slightly better chance of getting laid

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Epicurius posted:

good posts!!

So another thing they could have done is focused on the personal story of the Maquis.

I'm thinking, focus on a child. Her father helps her plant a tree. When her father dies while she is young, the ashes are scattered around the tree.

10 years later, she is building her own home in the village, but she still revisits the tree. Then, they are all sent notice that they must leave the place and never return.

Maybe her mother dies too, and their bones are fertilizing the tree or something.

What I'm saying here is, rather than stating they have an emotional need to fight. As per the rules of TV, show it and make the audience care, too

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

poisonpill posted:

The better party is Marquis because you have a slightly better chance of getting laid

Cardassian parties are the best. Everyone gets laid, but the real fun is figuring out who banged who.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

Cardassian parties are the best. Everyone gets laid, but the real fun is figuring out who banged who.

The Obsidian Order knows, citizen. That's what matters.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Obsidian Order knows, citizen. That's what matters.

<Panning shot of a Cardassian warehouse similar to the one at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark>

A Cardassian wheels another container of used condoms to be stored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

College sex comedy set in the Obsidian Order