Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Bug Report: animated gifs do not animate in rap sheets. (Possibly the "GIF ▶️" overlay is hidden? But even if so, you can't tap it because tapping anywhere on a rap sheet entry just finds the offending post). Example: this rap sheet has a Halloween 2020 monthlong probe for failing a toxx, with an external embedded gif and an SA-hosted emoticon:

Infinitum's rap sheet posted:

Dracula has been slain. Failed :toxx:. See you in a month. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.
Above is how it should display, with the animated gifs (certainly the toxx emoticon should be animating, even if the external gif might need a tap to start playing). However in Awful App I currently just see the first frame of each of those two gifs, with no way to make them animate, just like in this static screenshot:

Feature appreciation: Thanks for enabling images in rap sheets!! They look way better than before! (Even with gifs currently frozen!)

Holiday wishes: :spooky:Happy:ghost:Halloween:spooky:, y'all!

I've also just discovered :thunkin: is an emoticon too now, hellz yeah

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gifs in the rap sheet won't work without an overhaul of the rap sheet, sorry.

e: research indicates it might not but I haven't tried anything yet so I don't know if what I'm seeing will have great performance etc, will try it soon

e2: nope, edit was wrong, can't see how to make it work :rip:

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 1, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would it be possible/difficult to block tweets from specific users from rendering similar to the ignore user feature? I’m tired of seeing people post this @dril person in D&D.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Would it be possible/difficult to block tweets from specific users from rendering similar to the ignore user feature? I’m tired of seeing people post this @dril person in D&D.

not if your avatar has the trigger image. a 1 pixel CORN COB haha

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dumb dumb question but how do I just get the url of linked images?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1318985048503115776

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m in the latest app version 5.3 and iOS 14.1 on a XS. For a couple weeks now, I’ve been unable to post photos. Mine are stored High Efficiency. I’m not sure if this coincided with my update to 14.1 from iOS 13. Screenshots seem to work since I was able to show the error here.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 7, 2020

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Replicated on an 11 Pro Max, iOS 14.2, whatever app version is current on the App Store. (Just checked, 5.3 with no update available)

I can upload images saved from web sources, so it seems like it’s specific to photos taken on the phone... also saving images as the heic thing.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 7, 2020

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
e:misread

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah Imgur doesn't take HEIC pics (which is lame), does somebody have the link for the Shortcut that converts it for you? That also uploads it to your Imgur account if you're signed in which avoids the monthly limiter.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried just blocking them on Twitter to see if that would work but it doesn't translate to embeds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I realized all of a sudden today that a lot of my mysterious imgur uploading errors are when I try to post a Live Photo.

Is there a quick shortcut way to convert a Live Photo into a still JPEG so I can use it in an Awful post, or is that something the app should handle transparently?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

Replicated on an 11 Pro Max, iOS 14.2, whatever app version is current on the App Store. (Just checked, 5.3 with no update available)

I can upload images saved from web sources, so it seems like it’s specific to photos taken on the phone... also saving images as the heic thing.

Have you tried using the Imgur upload shortcut? That bypasses the app entirely.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Didn’t know that someone made a shortcut for that, I’d give it a shot if someone has a link.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

`Nemesis posted:

Didn’t know that someone made a shortcut for that, I’d give it a shot if someone has a link.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was for HEIC to JPG. I thought it was a problem with uploading to IMGUR in general.

The only iOS native facility I know of to go from HEIC to JPG is exporting to a folder on a cloud drive.

This link below recommends an app, but YMMV

https://www.guidingtech.com/convert-heic-to-jpg-iphone/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

This should work

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9dcf86f2beca4347beca9fdb36551d2b

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Similarly does anyone have a gif to imgur shortcut?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm looking at my short cut and sure enough it has a "convert" action set to JPEG.

Trevor Hale posted:

Similarly does anyone have a gif to imgur shortcut?

I'm not sure if you want to convert to GIF or just upload as GIF. If it's just uploading, you can change the format the shortcut uses in the Media snap-in.

Unrelated but I also highly recommend the shortcut "Police". It will turn brightness down to zero, pause anything you're playing, send a text to predefined recipients with a message with GPS, start video recording with the front camera, saving vids to the Photo album.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2d68cb1ee7b84f08ace2fd600b9855b5

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm looking at my short cut and sure enough it has a "convert" action set to JPEG.

I'm not sure if you want to convert to GIF or just upload as GIF. If it's just uploading, you can change the format the shortcut uses in the Media snap-in.

Unrelated but I also highly recommend the shortcut "Police". It will turn brightness down to zero, pause anything you're playing, send a text to predefined recipients with a message with GPS, start video recording with the front camera, saving vids to the Photo album.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2d68cb1ee7b84f08ace2fd600b9855b5

Test

edit: my nedry ain’t laughing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Trevor Hale posted:

Test

edit: my nedry ain’t laughing

Oh, an *animated* GIF. Yeah, I have no idea sorry.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh, an *animated* GIF. Yeah, I have no idea sorry.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I did something and now tweets are always trying to open a browser window rather than the twitter app. The toggle in settings isn't doing anything. Anyone know wtf I did?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It just happens from time to time

Burn incense and it'll switch back after a few days

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Question for those of you that might know. I know the app is a wrapper around the existing site, but what is the proverbial engine that is being used to do so? Is this a tricked out Safari page at the end of the day?

I ask because I never used to have YouTube ads play for embedded videos until recently. I suspect that if this is using safari to do the backend handling that it may be hooking into one of the ad blockers I have installed. I moved the default over to chrome a bit ago and started seeing some ads. It’s not an issue really but I am vaguely curious if that’s what is going on. That or YouTube just being weird.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When you read a thread, essentially the app gets the web page, pulls out the relevant data, and builds its own custom web page out of it. It’s then displayed using a web view control that Apple provides (not Safari per se, but it’s basically the same underlying engine). I’m almost certain that iOS ad blockers have no effect on the type of web view that the app uses though. Any change you’re seeing in the behavior of embedded YouTube videos is most likely just because of a change on YouTube’s end.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Just chiming in to say that this app is very good and I have been using it daily for several years.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

arbybaconator posted:

Just chiming in to say that this app is very good and I have been using it daily for several years.

:same:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

arbybaconator posted:

:hellyeah:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Same. Been using it for nearly as long as it's been around. I feel guilty I'm in the TestFlight but I never report anything, but honestly maybe that's because it's generally rock solid for me. I infinitely prefer using the app over the actual website.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Awful is usually my top app by battery usage and it’s not even close.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think when Big Sur arrives and allows an app store awful I'm never gonna go on the OG site again

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Gonna pull that screenshot and just say the Awful app green frog is next to my Safari, phone and text.app on the bottom bar

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Ran into an issue this morning. iPhone 11, iOS 14.2

Trying to quote a post in SAS. First press of Quote button unresponsive, second press brought me to Quote Post screen but the app minimized within a second. Upon bringing the app back up, the screen was on the forums list. Replicated 2 more times; never actually crashed the app.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Should I be able to upload/embed pictures into posts right from the app? Because for the life of me that feature hasn't worked in a long time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I realized recently that I wasn't able to post photos directly because I had Live Photos turned on.

I would imagine the app doesn't convert them to still JPEGs on the fly. Same with HEIC?

I did a screenshot of a photo and then it worked lmao

e: oh heh I even mentioned in already in this same page

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am a dumb person, what are Live Photos and where do I turn it off?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I am a dumb person, what are Live Photos and where do I turn it off?

https://www.macworld.com/article/3389743/how-to-disable-live-photos-on-your-iphone-or-ipad.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's a bunch of stuff I want to do with image upload, including an optional other provider and so forth, but work and life have been pretty nuts of late, so it keeps getting deferred. Apologies to those who are still suffering!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Subjunctive posted:

There's a bunch of stuff I want to do with image upload, including an optional other provider and so forth, but work and life have been pretty nuts of late, so it keeps getting deferred. Apologies to those who are still suffering!
Nah man the app still rules, I use it every day and I love it. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bit of a weird ask, but would it be possible to have Twitter video embeds gracefully transition from portrait to landscape while playing instead of kicking you back out to the forum? I know Twitter stuff can be weird because Twitter.