Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't know about that Battalion and the temple ability is generically useful (I mean seriously, extra Bravery never hurt anybody) but the Command Ability looks fun, especially if you're running a Temple Nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Huh.

Actually kinda want to see how the stormkeep rules shake out.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I hope we can mix Stormkeeps with Stormhosts, I want to use Staunch Defender with my Anvils.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Is there anything in the OP that could do with updating or clarification? There's a few things I can see that immediately need tweaking, and Warcry could also use a shout I think.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
When are we gonna get more info about the new Underworlds warbands? Warhammer Day came and went without much.

I know England is entering a new lockdown, but I was really hoping to see that Seraphon warband soon...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/05/broken-realms-morathi-unleashed/

Rules preview for Morathi (and Idoneth) up. Rare to see a spoiler warning in a preview article but I can almost see why.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Initial impressions of the Idoneth changes;
  • The Allopex getting the additional bite against units with recently killed models is a fantastic fix. It limited their targets beforehand, forcing you to cross your fingers and hope you could get enough damage on a monster to make your terrible bite less unreliable. Now they can wade into some infantry blobs as well.
  • The net launcher change interesting. Stopping pile-ins is more useful in some cases than others. I'm thinking of turning off abilities that give longer distance for piling in, or hitting them before a charge and then positioning to minimize the number of rerun attacks. It's probably not something I'll play with since the net launcher has 1 attack to the harpoon gun's 3 (now going to be 4 which is nice) and I like the consistency more. Bigger units of Allopexes are a bit more attractive.
  • An extra 2" of move is very hard to evaluate. I've never rated range increases because GW are always very conservative with any changes or abilities that touch ranges or movement. It DOES put them at the same speed as the eels, if you're curious.
  • Void Drum on the Leviadons adds +1 to saves AND hit rolls for Namarti. This... is fine. Namarti being 4+ and hitting on 2s isn't bad but I still don't know if they're worth it even at that level, and you're still taking a 310 point model for it. The rend block trait is very good, though. We'll see if any of the others are winners.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Goonhammer did an in-depth look at Broken Realms Morathi.

https://www.goonhammer.com/broken-realms-morathi-review/

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I like that we're so used to how 40k campaign books go we're surprised when a book actually changes something.

The Stormkeep abilities (and batallions) look really good! I'm a little sad about Anvilgard because I have a fondness for its monster mash sillyness.

And I guess its really obvious who's going to be the big player next book.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wow, there's actually a lot of story there. Why do you think they are more willing to do this with AoS? Is it the Realms setting?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guessing it's because everything is not as established as the 40k universe and there is more room to do stuff like this then in Fantasy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Man, Morathi's new rules make me wish that I didn't have to pay $60 per 10 Witch Aelves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dawgstar posted:

Man, Morathi's new rules make me wish that I didn't have to pay $60 per 10 Witch Aelves.

You could change your focus to the Melusai and Harpies. As they are getting a ton of buffs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Quick Plague Priest

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I got my Catacombs box + Splintered Fang all put together. Absolutely love the different Warband models, even if GW insist on still making us glue incredibly small pieces together, and should have my first few matches in today :slick:

Also managed to grab Corpsewrack Mausoleum(not realizing it's been OOS in most places) and the Azyrite Shattered Plaza. I believe I have all the starting terrain now + some extra goodies???

Now to start figuring out paint schemes and actually buy paints again. I haven't painted in ages so this will be quite a new experience. Plan to check out the contrast paints and I'd really like to do quite a few different black skin colours

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Guessing it's because everything is not as established as the 40k universe and there is more room to do stuff like this then in Fantasy.

I would guess that people aren't quite as attached to AOS "brands" as they are 40k ones, yet. Like there are people who love Morathi, witch elves, and dark elves, but many fewer people who care about "Daughters of Khaine" or whether their faction is part of Order or who their allies are or whatever. 40k's got a lot of people who are like, deathly brand-loyal to one specific Marine chapter or Craftworld or something and would be furious if it went away.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Baku posted:

I would guess that people aren't quite as attached to AOS "brands" as they are 40k ones, yet. Like there are people who love Morathi, witch elves, and dark elves, but many fewer people who care about "Daughters of Khaine" or whether their faction is part of Order or who their allies are or whatever. 40k's got a lot of people who are like, deathly brand-loyal to one specific Marine chapter or Craftworld or something and would be furious if it went away.

You say that but they did blow up Cadia

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My next project has been a unit of Greatswords but I've been really hesitant because I hate the models. Since I will likely never actually play the game that often, I decided that the Lords of Battle and other 1980's Citadel stuff was cooler, so I'm going to make some Greatsword stand-ins from them :getin:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

AnEdgelord posted:

You say that but they did blow up Cadia

Events like that are a lot less common. AOS being less established works to its advantage and allows them more freedom to change things as there's not 30 years of momentum behind it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got an old Citadel Lord of War from the 80's that I plan on using as a Greatsword completed while I await COVID results as well as an Elf Cleric for someone in our D&D group:

I'm not super happy with the color coordination on the Elf, however the player really likes Red, Black, and Maces (I got a Mordheim Dwarf Adventurer sprue off eBay, hacked off most of the Elf's staff, then pinned the head of the mace to it... very nerve wracking drilling!).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Idolators from the new Morathi book seem kind of bad. You can turn one chariot into a Idolator Lord, and that lord gets prayers that work on a 3+ and gives buffs in a 12" radius to god-keyworded models. The buffs themselves are decent, but that is all the faction does. None of the command abilities or traits seem particularly worthwhile either.

The only other noteworthy change is that Cultists are Battleline in Idolators, so you can pay your Battleline tax really cheaply. But that isn't a problem for STDs anyway, what with Chaos Marauder Horsemen already doing that while being excellent screens and objective takers and STD battleline being really good to begin with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Cultists do also get the Marauder minimum 6' charge.

I wanted to analyze the Idolators I will do so later when I can look at my book after work.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 15, 2020

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

For those who have painted a Bloodwrack Shrine, did you assemble the whole thing first, or do it in sub-assemblies. Seems like it makes sense to leave the stair sections off and do those separately.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/15/sunday-preview-half-time-on-the-gridiron

New Preview Stream next saturday, titled Decadence & Decay. I assume it's partially Broken Realms related. At least on the AoS side.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is also some talking about what's next.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/15/broken-realms-whats-next/

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Christmas box article is up https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/16/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battleforces-incoming/

Tzeentch, Kharadron, Ogor and Gloomspite.

I've said this before, but if any appeal to you and you're in the US check eBay first for a UK seller. The conversion rate is typically so terrible that even with the $25 shipping you could save 40-50 dollars buying from the UK.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shocked there is no Death one.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

poo poo, I really wanted a Bonereapers box. Oh well, I guess the Kharadron box would be a nice complement for my Cities of Sigmar army.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Can someone talk me out of buying the Idoneth Broken Realms box? I don't have any other deepkin, but something about those sharks is calling me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Somberbrero posted:

Can someone talk me out of buying the Idoneth Broken Realms box? I don't have any other deepkin, but something about those sharks is calling me.

Do it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

The sharks might be good now. Do it.

E: More seriously, the Idoneth as an army have interesting mechanics but are really hampered by about half of their small unit roster being underpowered. If you're all-in on eel and shark cavalry, then you'll be fine, but there aren't any other ways to play them and do well. They got their battletome just before V2.0 dropped and it shows. They need another book and maybe an extra unit or two.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 17, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

seems kind of expensive. you could just buy the sharks separately?

i too hear the shark calling

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

CODChimera posted:

seems kind of expensive. you could just buy the sharks separately?

i too hear the shark calling

two sharks cost as much as the BR box though. You're getting the king (or one shark) for free compared to buying separately

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is Age of Sigmar expected to shift to the same size board sizes as 40k anytime soon?

I want to get some battlemats, and would prefer to be able to have one or two that work for both games. 40k uses 44” x 30” and 44” x 60” right now, and AoS seems to be generally played at 6'x4' for full size. I'm not sure what tournaments generally run for meeting engagements, but Warhammer Community recommends a range that covers that smaller 40k board size.

I know I can mark off part of the battle mat for 40k games if I get the bigger one, but it would be nice to not have to, especially if AoS moves to the same board size as 40k.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I hope not. The board is already plenty crowded at times, especially with two horde armies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's too soon to say. I have some speculation (pure speculation, no insider info just "this is similar to the path 40k took") that Broken Realms might be the finale to 2nd edition and a transition will come to 3rd edition in the summer. 2nd edition will have been 3 years old then which seems to fit the shorter dev cycles GW is doing lately. If they change the boards, that would be the time to do it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I've only ever painted minis but I'm trying to dip my toe into playing, and I've got a dumb question:

The warscroll for Orruk Ardboys gives the option to take a Boss, banner, glyph, shields for 2 in every 5 models, and a drummer for 1 in every 5. But aside from the boss, the warscroll doesn't mention any of those options changing their stat profiles or costing points. I don't have the battletome yet so that may just be info that you can't see for free, but mostly I'm just wondering if there's any reason *not* to take as many of those as possible.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've only ever painted minis but I'm trying to dip my toe into playing, and I've got a dumb question:

The warscroll for Orruk Ardboys gives the option to take a Boss, banner, glyph, shields for 2 in every 5 models, and a drummer for 1 in every 5. But aside from the boss, the warscroll doesn't mention any of those options changing their stat profiles or costing points. I don't have the battletome yet so that may just be info that you can't see for free, but mostly I'm just wondering if there's any reason *not* to take as many of those as possible.

Currently just aesthetics, and I guess banners are more visible for LOS purposes. There's always a chance that Ardboyz will eventually get changed to have +1 Attack if they dual wield / don't have a shield. I think the only benefit of multiple Drummers is redundancy. Also, if you want to use these models for other games (Warcry, Frostgrave, stuff we don't know exists yet) you may for WYSIWYG reasons prefer to have fewer command models.

It threw me when I first started learning about AoS, too. I think they just wanted to accommodate some weird build options for the plastic kit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's a holdover from when the game was basically a carte blanche "bring what you want" game. It makes it very confusing by saying "You may" because there's no reason you wouldn't. The only point costs are based off a certain multiples of units (In the case of Ardboys ever 5 costs a certain amount) so definitely do all the bells and whistles if you're hoping to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

RagnarokAngel posted:

It makes it very confusing by saying "You may" because there's no reason you wouldn't.

Phrasing it as mandatory would have been confusing (for newbies, anyway) in the other direction--"I need to have a standard bearer for every 10 guys? What if I didn't build a drummer because I don't like the way it looks and didn't realize it was important? What if I'm using 20 WHFB models and I only have one drummer and one standard bearer?"

Since they were supposedly going for easy to understand, streamlined play, I think they should have just rolled all command bonuses from multipart-plastic-kit units into each unit's core rules--add X to charge distance and increase base Bravery by 1 (instead of being +1 if you've got at least one Standard Bearer, etc.). but the first edition of AoS paid absurd attention to the actual physical models, so I guess it fits their MO.