Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

I remain at "cautiously optimistic". It's back in the hands of the master himself, but *eyes mid-Shippuden-era Sakura* *eyes Sarada nervously*

Didn’t he write the Sarada Gaiden manga? That one wasn’t too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Larryb posted:

Didn’t Kishimoto have another manga idea he wanted to do after Naruto? Whatever happened to that?

Did a couple of one-shots that didn't develop further based on ideas he'd talked for quite a while and then Samurai 8, which was really weak in terms of sales/reception (have only read a couple of pages, seemed kinda neat but bogged by its own worldbuilding and exposition).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Samurai 8 had the classic follow-up problem of wanting to jump right to the massive worldbuilding you eventually had by the end of your last series all at once instead of pacing it out like you did the first time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Darth TNT posted:

And the fandom looked at each other uncomfortably, unsure whether to celebrate or rage.

So does that mean the current guy will just be doing the "art"?

So, the guy being replaced, Ukyo Kodachi, just did the writing. Mikyo Ikemoto is the artist and will continue to be.

Honestly, I'm super ready for Boruto to go down in quality from this lol. Like I'm sure the overall goals for the story will stay the same, but it'll end up feeling less interesting than it has for this last year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is ironic as I remember people not being that crazy about the manga when it first started.

The anime seems like it’s in fairly good hands though as it uses Kishimoto’s artstyle and expands on the manga a bit like Shippuden and the original occasionally did. In fact, at least one character from the anime has already been canonized in the manga.

Hell, unlike Dragon Ball Super the adaption of the movie was unquestionably BETTER than the film itself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 16, 2020

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah Samurai 8 had the classic follow-up problem of wanting to jump right to the massive worldbuilding you eventually had by the end of your last series all at once instead of pacing it out like you did the first time

Yeah, there was pretty much endless world building. Given the way the final chapters went though, I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't get more story.

I'm not sure what to say about this. Maybe a joke about stepping in since Sasuke has been getting his rear end beat recently.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 16, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Feels weird to say it but I don't trust Kishimoto to keep Isshiki as fun as he's been.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rndmnmbr posted:

I remain at "cautiously optimistic". It's back in the hands of the master himself, but *eyes mid-Shippuden-era Sakura* *eyes Sarada nervously*

That's... yeah. :ohdear:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Kishimoto is historically not the best when it comes to writing female characters (Tenten got more screen time/development in the anime than she did in the entire manga combined) so I’m worried that Sarada might start getting downplayed a bit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 16, 2020

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the thing is sarada is an uchiha so the odds of her getting narratvely dumpstered are low

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm not sure where this worry is coming from. Have you read the Boruto manga? Sarada barely gets anything already, she's mainly there for gross ogling. She got 10 times the development in the Scarlett Spring volume Kishimoto did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She’s treated much better in the anime but good point.

dudermcbrohan posted:

the thing is sarada is an uchiha so the odds of her getting narratvely dumpstered are low

Fair, and she seems too smart to go off the deep end like her dad, Obito, and Madara did (Itachi wasn’t too bright either).

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I might be in the minority here but I'd like to see the B-cast of characters participate more beyond Naruto/Sasuke/Team 7 getting all the action and I could see Kishimoto doing so. Rock Lee, Kiba, hell give me Tenten.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does Hinata get a chance to ninja these days? That could be fun.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shneak posted:

I might be in the minority here but I'd like to see the B-cast of characters participate more beyond Naruto/Sasuke/Team 7 getting all the action and I could see Kishimoto doing so. Rock Lee, Kiba, hell give me Tenten.

I mean...Kishimoto didn't really care about that B-cast when he had a weekly manga. Now that they're C-cast in a monthly manga...

Well, maybe Boruto can try and get them a ninja trading card in the anime.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 17, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Does Hinata get a chance to ninja these days? That could be fun.

I don’t think Hinata has done any fighting yet in the entirety of Boruto (manga or anime). She seems to mostly just be a housewife these days.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

She threw hands vs. Momoshiki, entirely offscreen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Give me more episodes where Sakura gets drunk with Ino (and Hinata drinks tea and judges them) because she can't believe Sasuke is actually training Sarada to be an edgelord and doesn't see the red flags of her saying how she needs more power.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mangaplus new Burrito

Actually, I like this a lot. It makes a surprising lot of sense and ties back to the the whole "Chakra meant to connect lives" thing.

New form looks terrible though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Good god he's hideous from head to toe, I haven't been a fan of the chakra modes from the start but this is just horrible.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Darth TNT posted:

Mangaplus new Burrito

Actually, I like this a lot. It makes a surprising lot of sense and ties back to the the whole "Chakra meant to connect lives" thing.

New form looks terrible though.

Kurama knows what nuclear fusion is?

I liked it a lot too. At first I was really worried that it was just Naruto getting Ultra Instinct. Catching the tiny chakra rods was pretty sweet though.

Also kind of funny how Isshiki was stuck just trying to strangle Naruto at the end.

Thinking about it, this is Kishimoto's first chapter right?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 20, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheHan posted:

Good god he's hideous from head to toe, I haven't been a fan of the chakra modes from the start but this is just horrible.

I think that’s the biggest loss visually in endgame Naruto for me. The original blood and bone almost demonic magic style of the nine-tails taking over Naruto’s body was cool as hell whilst also being viscerally disturbing and uncomfortable to see, and I kind of wish they’d kept up the near demonic pact style thing there even with the later revelations about the nature of the Tailed Beasts.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sage mode was always aesthetically and narratively the coolest power for me, especially as naruto surpassed jiraiya in mastering it. i always thought it was a shame it just folded into the tailed beast mode

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This is just licensed fanfiction at this point

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thoren posted:

This is just licensed fanfiction at this point

the first chapter written by Kishimoto is a weird place to make this point

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, Kishimoto wasn't writing this thing this whole time? I thought it was him on story and someone else doing the art.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Nope. Written by Kodachi, illustrated by Ikemoto. Kishimoto has been is something of an executive producer mode while working on Samurai 8. That just got cancelled, and Kodachi was finishing his contract anyways, so the master took the reins once more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Nope. Written by Kodachi, illustrated by Ikemoto. Kishimoto has been is something of an executive producer mode while working on Samurai 8. That just got cancelled, and Kodachi was finishing his contract anyways, so the master took the reins once more.

Though given his track record with Naruto I likely would have preferred if he started drawing the manga instead and let someone else handle the writing. But we’ll see how things go.

Speaking of which, does Kishimoto have any hand in the Boruto anime for that matter?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This is very Dragonball, like, immensely more so than usual. Still a fun chapter.

It being referenced as fusion instead of fission is funny since He's basically irradiating his opponent, 'shortening his life span' is very radiation feeling

I like the ace though and I feel like it writes him out of the story for a while in a reasonable way

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I actually have faith in Kishimoto. He wrote 700 issues of Naruto and in doing so created a worldwide phenomenon, and we are all here singing it's praises (and occasionally bitching about its shortcomings) years after it ended. Yes, Kishimoto's writing has some weak points, but its still something powerful and amazing more often than not.

My only concern is Sarada, and I think Kishimoto understands her importance to the story and will at least try to do better.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rndmnmbr posted:

He wrote 700 issues of Naruto

Like 2/3 of it was bad though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also unless I’m forgetting something Sarada barely does much in the manga as is.

Now the anime is a completely different story in that regard however as she’s almost as much a staple character as Boruto himself is and unlike her mom has a pretty good track record when it comes to fights. If they were to bring that Sarada into the manga more often I’d be all for it personally.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 21, 2020

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Why are you guys praising this? Hes making GBS threads all over everything using Kurama as his narrative voice. Nuclear fission? Boxing? Kishimoto should be shamed

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

kneelbeforezog posted:

Why are you guys praising this? Hes making GBS threads all over everything using Kurama as his narrative voice. Nuclear fission? Boxing? Kishimoto should be shamed

I'm pretty sure that this is still in line with whatever mess was happening in the last chapter. The real effects of Kishimoto being in charge won't truly be felt until later in this fight, if not until after this fight, because you can't really shift gears that fast narratively I imagine.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
lmao the mummy dude literally used a jutsu named fission technique when he was reanimated by kabuto in the fourth ninja world war

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Pulling wild new rules outta nowhere is pretty on brand for Kishimoto, here at least it’s using pre-established concepts for its inexplicable mid-fight power up. The new form is haunting in its ugliness but I don’t mind the idea that a tailed beast has enough chakra control to make it happen.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Boruto might actually become good once we lose the baggage of Naruto and Sasuke. It took 4.5 years but it looks like we're actually getting to the starting point of the entire premise of the manga.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I mean, say what you like about Kishimoto and sexuality and how he treats female characters (because it's all true), but Ikemoto was a whole other level of :gonk: so I'm optimistic for Sarada getting to be a normal kid and not weird creep bait.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Funky Valentine posted:

Like 2/3 of it was bad though.

I sort of feel like his character Kakashi in saying "the days of Shonen Jump hell were paved by the victories of our predecessors. It took Go-Nagai about 40 years before Devilman was summarized in a good looking cartoon. To even get a third of a 700 weekly chapter series that well read with very little merchandising for over 200 is his ninja way."

Theres a good reason the crossover game was called "Ultimate Stars" and not "pretty good stars" or even "super"

Japan and the USA economy was so bad for over a decade that I put a bunch of Sazae-san references in Bobobo. The Art Business get hit like it's been a luxury taken away when it's gets down too it, and thankfully the very old school Shehushia business practices paid off; work your butt off and you and your co-workers get their stories put in the weekly magazine, get paid as usual, everyone gets their own private licensing rights. One Piece guy decided to make high quality plastic limited edition figures called "portraits of pirates" like a capsule collection thing but in super hi definition. Tite Kubo did something similar, Toriyama stuck with cheap action figures for a while, and I decided business can be comedy therefore the 5 Bobobo figures(same quality as the POP stuff) cost about 500-800 US dollars(please buy something else).

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't can believe Boruto and Mitsuki beat the invincible bad guy with a love love tenkyoken.

Oh uh Sarada was there too I guess. Props for at least letting her crack the shell with her super punch.