Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It's true. I only want to play against the toughest of opponents in matches that take upwards of two hours. I am Seto Kaiba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

I don't entirely understand the arguments that MODO is unclear. It's ugly as hell, but I don't think it is particularly hard to figure out what's going on.

as someone who started following the game in the last few years and started actually being able to afford it once arena launched, i still have trouble following exactly what's happening if a streamer I watch loads up MODO especially because the main benefit of the client is that it has (almost) all of the cards on it + as such you'll see people playing with cards that are unfamiliar and (often) do weird things

you don't have issue with it because you've played on modo and understand the cards you're playing with, simple as that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

house of the dad posted:

It's true. I only want to play against the toughest of opponents in matches that take upwards of two hours. I am Seto Kaiba every control player at every lgs

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

as someone who started following the game in the last few years and started actually being able to afford it once arena launched, i still have trouble following exactly what's happening if a streamer I watch loads up MODO especially because the main benefit of the client is that it has (almost) all of the cards on it + as such you'll see people playing with cards that are unfamiliar and (often) do weird things

you don't have issue with it because you've played on modo and understand the cards you're playing with, simple as that.

But how is that different from Arena? If you don't know what the cards are/do, what does Arena do that makes them easier to understand?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Arena does have levitating cards for flying and symbols for different abilities.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

odiv posted:

Arena does have levitating cards for flying and symbols for different abilities.

I guess that's true, but MODO has the card text actually printed on the card (instead of just a picture) which is usually more than enough.

IDK I get why people don't like playing on MODO (god knows I don't, really) but I don't think it's method of representing the game is any more or less confusing than Arena's. The biggest difference is how the game represents castable cards from outside your hand and revealing hidden information, which now that I'm writing it is probably very annoying for new players.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 16, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Tiny card text is pretty useless on stream.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I mean you could just read the page to see that no, nobody is saying anything mean about casuals.

He saw you say it was for casuals, enjoys it himself, then bristled that you were calling him a casual, and construed it as insulting. Anyways, I too am glad it's there and glad it's popular. I just don't enjoy it much myself.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

fadam posted:

I guess that's true, but MODO has the card text actually printed on the card (instead of just a picture) which is usually more than enough.
I can't read those on a stream over half the time. Maybe your eyesight/resolution is better. I'd have to check, but I think the words straight up don't show up a lot of the time unless you enlarge the cards while playing yourself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

He saw you say it was for casuals, enjoys it himself, then bristled that you were calling him a casual, and construed it as insulting. Anyways, I too am glad it's there and glad it's popular. I just don't enjoy it much myself.

I'm literally playing Arena right now lol. According to the Ebin Games Megastore I have 36 days in the client. I'm glad it's popular, I'm glad Magic is growing, and I hope Arena continues to develop to the point where I don't have to play MTGO ever again because there will be a legion of normies and casuals playing Modern and cube on Arena.

odiv posted:

I can't read those on a stream over half the time. Maybe your eyesight/resolution is better. I'd have to check, but I think the words straight up don't show up a lot of the time unless you enlarge the cards while playing yourself.

I have pretty good eyesight (no glasses) and I'm able to read the text in this video okay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEK3n4kCBA

But you're right, it only shows the first few lines unless you mouse over, which is also true for Arena I guess. You can't intuit what a card like DHA does just by looking at symbols or its picture.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 16, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, Arena has the power/toughness, it shows flying, first strike, trample, vigilance and has symbols showing whether something has an ability or what kind of ability it is. Also there are twitch extensions that let you hover over cards. If there's one of those for MODO I've literally never seen anyone use it, and 90% of the text on modo is unreadable from a stream. It's literally as bad as watching a game in paper, glare and all.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just asked my GF (has never played MTG) if she could read this:

From normal sitting distance away from the monitor and she couldn't, you maybe you guys are on to something. I think I've probably just seen the cards so much my brain tricked itself into thinking I'm just actually that good at reading small, lovely sideways text.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

fadam posted:

But how is that different from Arena? If you don't know what the cards are/do, what does Arena do that makes them easier to understand?
Everybody on Arena plays standard, everybody on MTGO plays bigger formats.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

house of the dad posted:

It's true. I only want to play against the toughest of opponents in matches that take upwards of two hours. I am Seto Kaiba
Screw the rules, I have money.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

fadam posted:

I think I've probably just seen the cards so much my brain tricked itself into thinking I'm just actually that good at reading small, lovely sideways text.
Yep, I'll watch cube streams on my phone no problem, but I'm definitely not reading the cards.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

Oh, Arena does kinda suck in terms of how bad the client is, it installed on my C: drive and I had to move it to another one for it to load properly for whatever reason. A friend of mine had a similar issue too.
For a game that looks like it's from 2010 it takes ridiculously long for it to load anything on my pc. Initial boot up takes like 3 minutes, it's stupid, nothing else takes remotely that long.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 16, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

From normal sitting distance away from the monitor and she couldn't, you maybe you guys are on to something. I think I've probably just seen the cards so much my brain tricked itself into thinking I'm just actually that good at reading small, lovely sideways text.

True story, this is how most people read all text. You don't look at and resolve every letter, your brain recognizes the shape of the entire word and sometimes whole phrases (which is why sometimes a familiar-seeming phrase with one word different will catch you off-guard). So I don't know that card but I recognize "Flying" even though it's blurry as poo poo because it fits the shape of a limited set of words I expect to see by themselves on a magic card.

This is why soooo many people think my username is "Leperfish" too. Also it's what serifs are for with serifed fonts; they give the individual letters more recognizability which means most people can read blocks of text with serifs them faster than sans-serifed fonts. The opposite seems to hold for large display fonts, where sans-serif is easier to read, especially from a long distance away, which is why all road signs use sans-serif.

Most people who can read English can read this trivially even though half of each letter is missing:

Our brains are amazing at this poo poo so much so that you don't even consciously register that you're not really reading the letters when you read things.

Also I appreciate that you genuinely didn't intend "casual" in a pejorative sense, but you should be aware that many other people have used that word in a pejorative sense for the last couple decades so some people will probably read it that way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

There's overlays that the streamer can install for twitch/Arena that let you hover over cards to see them

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Also I appreciate that you genuinely didn't intend "casual" in a pejorative sense, but you should be aware that many other people have used that word in a pejorative sense for the last couple decades so some people will probably read it that way.

A pejorative for what? Someone who isn’t obsessed with a card game? That’s exactly how I meant it lol.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fadam posted:

A pejorative for what? Someone who isn’t obsessed with a card game? That’s exactly how I meant it lol.

filthy casuals are the people who have not properly dedicated themselves to mastery of this fine art which I and a few other elite people whom I know on a first name bases have poured ourselves into, and they should all go away because they just get in the way of doing it properly you see,,,
/

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

Hell I can tell from the scaled down art exactly what it is, so I bypassed that challenge by being entirely too into magic for my own good!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Wait, your name isn't Leperfish!?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I can't read the card, but I know it's a flipped delver because I sighed instinctively upon seeing it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can see it's blue and has flying but hell if I know its stats or mana cost.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

odiv posted:

Wait, your name isn't Leperfish!?

It's happened often enough that I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or serious! I'm serious.

Wayyy back in the day, Grey Hunter was doing a dwarf fortress LP and when he Dwarfed me, he named the dwarf Leperfish. When I corrected him a bunch of other posters were like, wait, what?! He has the excuse of being dyslexic, but it stuck and from then on any time I was dwarfed in a DF LP it was always Leperfish. A while later I had this avatar made and I asked for the fish guy to represent this alter-ego along for the ride, apparently.

I blame the default text font used by SA. People didn't make this error back when I was posting on BBSes and Usenet.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

filthy casuals are the people who have not properly dedicated themselves to mastery of this fine art which I and a few other elite people whom I know on a first name bases have poured ourselves into, and they should all go away because they just get in the way of doing it properly you see,,,
/

Actually I change my answer that’s how I meant it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dammit that should be "first name basis" but now you've quoted me I can't just go back and fix the typo

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i hate both the modo and arena UIs but i hate the arena one more because of the animations and crap and the cards not always having their text on them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dias posted:

mana cost.
I got bad news for you

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

kalvanoo posted:

i hate both the modo and arena UIs but i hate the arena one more because of the animations and crap and the cards not always having their text on them.

Yeah I can get behind this.

Really my biggest gripe with arena as a viewer is that if I don't know all the card art by heart I have no idea what cards do. And the way the hand is displayed.

E:vvvv everything looks better than modo foils.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 17, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Card styles on Arena (even the lameo "we made this borderless by mirroring the art at the edges" ones) look better than modo foils

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

I got bad news for you

see I can't even tell if that's a token or whatever!!!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
mtgo's text boxes are tiny and use a really scrawly font that makes text basically impossible to parse outside of single words like 'storm' or 'cascade', while magic arena's text boxes are larger and use a much clearer bolder font so you can read an entire sentence like 'when Uro enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life, draw a card, then may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield" rather than having to recognise the art

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ungulateman posted:

mtgo's text boxes are tiny and use a really scrawly font that makes text basically impossible to parse outside of single words like 'storm' or 'cascade', while magic arena's text boxes are larger and use a much clearer bolder font so you can read an entire sentence like 'when Uro enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life, draw a card, then may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield" rather than having to recognise the art

Arena cards don't have text on them at all when they're on the field, though. You have to mouse over Bonecrusher Giant to know that it shocks you if you target it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ideal version of arena

• supports every format
  • has priority triggers and auto-yield options similar to mtgo so you can actually bluff with full control
  • has toggle-able animations
  • has a streamable interface such that it can show league play to the public with animations (to preserve the precious normie appeal wotc is hungry for) while allowing pros to play without them
  • has an esports infrastructure surrounding it that isn't embarrassingly anemic

I have no doubt that eventually, all of these except the last will be implemented

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Dias posted:

see I can't even tell if that's a token or whatever!!!

it keeps getting worse!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of supporting all formats, if they really intend to port pioneer to Historic, I wonder in what form the cards missing from the remastered sets will appear. Maybe they'll just dump all of them into arena with a "Pioneer Update" and make them craftable only.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

it keeps getting worse!

aaah it's one of those transform cards!!!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

If arena supported older formats plus vintage/legacy cube then I would be playing it nonstop and actually have spent a lot of money on gems

Otherwise I only play it begrudgingly and spend zero dollars because standard has been horrible for so long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

fadam posted:

Arena cards don't have text on them at all when they're on the field, though. You have to mouse over Bonecrusher Giant to know that it shocks you if you target it.

this is good, though, because 90% of the text on competitively playable cards is etb or dies triggers, and they have nice big text boxes for when those happen, and if you care about the rest of the text you can mouse over it