Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I settled on a 5x5 of fuelwood generators heating a boiler to run a turbine. The turbine and boilers are heavily underutilized and I could have really scaled them back. Nonetheless, it's generating nearly 9000 RF/tick which would keep a redstone energy fluxduct busy. I was surprised that some sped up Mekanism 3x ore processing could still consume that faster than it was being produced.

I also still have more charcoal than I know what to do with, so I guess some will go to endoflames and the rest will just get shoved into an overclocked generator.

Modrasone posted:

Who says you have to build thematically

How do you get the custom texture to show up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you get the custom texture to show up?

Could be either a custom painting texture or RFTools screens.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Extra Utilites Screens.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Here's a newer cooking mod that I wasn't familiar with until I found it in Valhesia 3.

Farmers Delight
It adds cabbage, onions, tomatos and rice.
And a bunch of tools and recipes.
Basically, its like Pams but not completely over blown.

Looks like its for 1.15 and up
https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/farmers-delight/screenshots

I couldn't be happier if I didn't go wandering just to find the land around me filled with Pams bushes.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OgNar posted:

I couldn't be happier if I didn't go wandering just to find the land around me filled with Pams bushes.

How am I going to make artichoke dip if I don't have artichokes, hmm?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There was a cooking mod in Heavens of Sorcery called Culinary, I think, which had some interesting ideas. More freeform meal-making, the ability to turn almost any ingredient into strips/diced/cubed/shredded/paste, stuff like that. The only problem was the only meal you could really make with it is stir fry. Everything just gets tossed wholesale into a wok, fried until ready, and eaten from a mixed bowl. And all meals ended up feeling pretty much the same as a result.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There's a few adjacent things from Pam's Harvestcraft that I find novel. The cotton is pretty good, and I like the animal traps. I generally arm them with bait I produce from mincing down soybeans. I think you can tell if a modpack is trying to make you grind with it if they've banned pressing soybeans.

I can't imagine that mod going away because you end up on some server where there's somebody's spouse/parent/grandparent that just gets into it and makes them feel like they're participating.

In other news, the class MFR mob grinder setup using Industrial Foregoing and the new cursed earth is kind of crazy. I remember years back that the trick was to do the divide by diamond ritual and silk touch some of the dirt so you could infect your grinder floor with it. It did accelerate everything, but I feel like the new method using a wither skeleton drop on dirt is crazier. The result so far has been a much faster mob generation rate. I'm just nonstop hearing ghasts wretching and heaving as they're spawned. I'm pretty sure I filled up a chest just while typing this up.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So I have apparently gone completely insane because I'm playing GT New Horizons.

It's surprisingly not as bad as I expected, though I still had to cheat in extra screws in the early game to not rip my hair out of my head in frustration.

Now that I've reached steam and can double ores and not spend hammers to make plates I think I'm done cheating to make it bearable.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried playing GT:NH not that long ago but it blows my mind that it still runs as poorly as it does.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i will never forgive the pack for gating progression behind bees

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I tried playing GT:NH not that long ago but it blows my mind that it still runs as poorly as it does.

Yeah, every time I try to play GT:NH, I get filtered by NEI taking 15-20 seconds per letter input to filter items.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i will never forgive the pack for gating progression behind bees

as far as i know nothing in gtnh is gated behind bees. what tier are you thinking is gated that way? i think the devs of this pack are more self aware than that.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, every time I try to play GT:NH, I get filtered by NEI taking 15-20 seconds per letter input to filter items.

that happens to me the first time i open the menu after startup. it''s really weird if it happens every time you use nei, sounds like something might be hosed up

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I have apparently gone completely insane because I'm playing GT New Horizons.

It's surprisingly not as bad as I expected, though I still had to cheat in extra screws in the early game to not rip my hair out of my head in frustration.

Now that I've reached steam and can double ores and not spend hammers to make plates I think I'm done cheating to make it bearable.

and this will be a funny thing to be frustrated about in retrospect if you play enough to make it into hv or ev. you gotta be prepared to make things in bulk. basic poo poo like wires and plates (once you have the machines to make them efficiently) you literally cannot make too many of. just make ten stacks of copper wire, you WILL use it eventually. you always need more raw materials than you expect.

get a few of those forestry worktables to "automate" things like pistons, motors, and hulls. it'll help save your sanity so you're not having to look up the basic recipes every five minutes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i played it ages ago and from memory i needed some frozen beethings to make crushed ice or something, to make the jump from LV to MV. it may well have been changed by this point if it's still under active development

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
That was the case when I stopped playing as well (though that was because Better Questing broke and reset all my quests)
It's not that hard to get the ice bees though.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!
I get real nervous about any particular task when people in this thread suggest it's "not so bad" or "not that hard".

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i played it ages ago and from memory i needed some frozen beethings to make crushed ice or something, to make the jump from LV to MV. it may well have been changed by this point if it's still under active development

Not the case currently, I've gone as far as HV/EV without so much as looking at a bee.

I've never needed bees in GT:NH and I've played it for years so maaaaaybe you're thinking of another pack? There was definitely another 1.7 GT + Thaumcraft pack that had some awful gating mechanics.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

I get real nervous about any particular task when people in this thread suggest it's "not so bad" or "not that hard".

any given value of "not so bad" needs to be calibrated against baseline gtnh if we're talking about that pack. for the unititiated, going into a task like "make your first ten basic circuits" can be absolutely hellish in terms of running back and forth between resource gathering, refining/alloying materials, and microcrafting. i restarted gtnh recently because i blew up my base last spring by wrenching my turbine multiblock, which popped my other nearby energy producing multiblocks AND my budding AE2 drive storage. I had recently updated the pack and hadn't bothered to reinstall my backup mod (it's since been added by the devs), so i trashed that save.

ANYWAY, knowing what those circuits entail means I actually produced all the materials needed beforehand and made them at once, which was really quite breezy. so yeah, it's all super relative.

another big tip for anyone early in the pack: use your dang coins on things like cable and vacuum tubes!! you can almost entirely avoid crafting them until they're easy by just buying them on cooldown for a while.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The crafting complexity behind GregTech stuff makes me think the simplest of machines is harder to make than a normal Mekanism digital miner.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yeah, pretty much. almost every lv machine will require at least 1 lv circuit and a machine hull. i'll recite how to make those things by memory (they're seared into my brain by now)

machine hull: two wrought iron plates, two tin cables (tin wire+rubber), a machine casing and a steel plate. wrought iron is cooked iron nuggets and casing is 8 steel plates.

circuit:
3 red alloy cable
2 vacuum tubes (round glass molded thing, steel rods, red alloy rod(?), copper wires)
2 resistors (copper wire, fine copper wire, sticky resin, and coal dust)
1 steel casing (1/2 a steel plate)
1 basic circuit board (8 copper wire around a wood board made by putting compressed wood dust in an assembler with glue)

things get easier as you unlock machines to make them. by hv, you can make lv circuits trivially with mass-produced smd components in a clean room.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah GTNH gives an amazing sense of progression that keeps up with the rising resource demand and need for automation. Early game you have to hammer 2 ingots into a plate then cut it into a single wire that you wrap in rubber you furnaced from 2 rubber ingots.

Later you huck a stack of copper in the wiremill to yield 2:1 and apply the rubber in liquid form via assembler, the rubber having been made in a chemical reaction for triple yield. A stack of wires pops out in a couple minutes from a quarter of the materials. And then disappears just as quickly into your ever expanding factory.

Or just make a zillion MV extruders to make every part (except rotors for some reason) at maximum efficiency.

You can even set up crazy poo poo like centrifuging the ash byproduct from all the wood you burn to yield a bunch of useful compounds including small amounts of iron.

The early game grind is a real killer though. I absolutely condone cheating whatever part of the modpack gives you grief. I always teleport like the world's laziest wizard and give myself the best ore scanner. Oh and of course keep inventory on / mob griefing off, because gently caress infernal mobs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of about a million pet peeves I have when it comes to Minecraft modding is when already humongous modpacks throw in like 40 other mostly-aesthetic or stylistic mods, which only serve to make load times longer and strained performance worse. There's a mod whose sole purpose is to add Call of Duty style HIGH DEFINITION BLOOD SPLATTERS onto the screen when you take damage, and it's in about 2/5 of all modpacks I download these days. A ton more add the mod that blurs the world when you have a menu or container open. Or make items fall flat on the ground (and possibly even need to be clicked to pick up) instead of their normal floating and spinning behavior. Or add weird reverb to every sound any time you're within a mile of a cave. Or have all leaf blocks spawn 4000 particles every 2 seconds. Or add a ton of "atmospheric" sounds, like a 6-second loop of shrill, piercing birdsong 24/7.
Modpack makers: If I wanted items to land flat or birds to shriek in my ear, I would add those myself! Please stop throwing dozens of these mods in every pack that's already got 200+. I hate having to sort through the modlist of everything I download and immediately check under mods titled "atmospheric..." "better..." or "realistic..."

The worst aspect (and this gets harder to avoid the further back you go, as with packs like GT:NH) is when it gets hard to know which mods you can safely remove. A big enough pack might include mods I dislike (like Forestry) but they could be vital to the careful inter-mod progression system, so they're staying. But then plenty of times you'll have 20 bee mods included in a pack where bees aren't part of progression whatsoever, but then there's one optional quest in the quest book that gives hives as a reward or some poo poo like that and now if you take out the bee mods the entire pack crumbles into dust.
I understand this mentality for kitchen sink packs and the like, but so few pack makers seem to think less is more.
e: :goonsay:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Roguelike Dungeons has this rattlesnake ambient noise that startles the hell out of me every time it pops. I live next to a mesa. gently caress off, snakes!

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I like a lot of those mods but every time I start a pack with Dynamic Surroundings I have to go turn off all those obnoxious animal sounds. Why are they a thing. I've never seen anyone who likes them.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

One of about a million pet peeves I have when it comes to Minecraft modding is when already humongous modpacks throw in like 40 other mostly-aesthetic or stylistic mods, which only serve to make load times longer and strained performance worse. There's a mod whose sole purpose is to add Call of Duty style HIGH DEFINITION BLOOD SPLATTERS onto the screen when you take damage, and it's in about 2/5 of all modpacks I download these days. A ton more add the mod that blurs the world when you have a menu or container open. Or make items fall flat on the ground (and possibly even need to be clicked to pick up) instead of their normal floating and spinning behavior. Or add weird reverb to every sound any time you're within a mile of a cave. Or have all leaf blocks spawn 4000 particles every 2 seconds. Or add a ton of "atmospheric" sounds, like a 6-second loop of shrill, piercing birdsong 24/7.
Modpack makers: If I wanted items to land flat or birds to shriek in my ear, I would add those myself! Please stop throwing dozens of these mods in every pack that's already got 200+. I hate having to sort through the modlist of everything I download and immediately check under mods titled "atmospheric..." "better..." or "realistic..."

The worst aspect (and this gets harder to avoid the further back you go, as with packs like GT:NH) is when it gets hard to know which mods you can safely remove. A big enough pack might include mods I dislike (like Forestry) but they could be vital to the careful inter-mod progression system, so they're staying. But then plenty of times you'll have 20 bee mods included in a pack where bees aren't part of progression whatsoever, but then there's one optional quest in the quest book that gives hives as a reward or some poo poo like that and now if you take out the bee mods the entire pack crumbles into dust.
I understand this mentality for kitchen sink packs and the like, but so few pack makers seem to think less is more.
e: :goonsay:

How do you feel about mods that (primarily) add cool new blocks to build with?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I thought the flat items thing had some nominal efficiency improvements? Is it actually just cosmetic?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I've been playing through GT:NH for a bit now, as someone who never really messed with GT before my thoughts are:

- I understand the ore generation thing (mostly) after people explained it in this thread, but it does mean you can end up stuck on a quest where you need one particular ore (for me it was diamonds) and no way to find it except digging randomly. The dowsing rod should come earlier, and they should let you buy ore with coins even if you havent found all 15 varieties of iron ore yet.

- why do animals randomly explode when killed with a sword sometimes. Yes I know you can use a knife to get around it, it sill makes no loving sense to me whatsoever. Who enjoys making a lovely knife to go poke pigs with when you're in the stone age and have no farm set up.

- adding more mobs, even Infernal mobs, I can kind of understand. They are unbalanced but usually you can just run away, and I play with item drop on death off anwyay. But there absolutely did not need to be extra creepers added with "what if they made even more of a loving mess when they exploded". It's not like lighting up your base early on is particularly easy.

- I understand it's kind of a central tenet of Gregtech, but I am still sad one of my boilers exploded. I know why it happened, it just made such a loving mess.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SpudCat posted:

I like a lot of those mods but every time I start a pack with Dynamic Surroundings I have to go turn off all those obnoxious animal sounds. Why are they a thing. I've never seen anyone who likes them.
I'm not saying they're objectively bad mods, but my computer has trouble with loading times and performance as it is and a ton of these weird aesthetic mods do nothing but clog it up.
I'd rather people who really like them add them themselves than just leave them in by default and leave those of us who don't to track down their names and cut them out. Especially when you get stuff like screen shake, blood splatters, shrill animal noises, etc.

dragonshardz posted:

How do you feel about mods that (primarily) add cool new blocks to build with?
Mostly okay with it. Xtones stands out as being an exception because a ton of the blocks are way too muddy/ugly, and that's used all over the place. But Quark's loaded with decorative blocks and Chisel is solely variants and both of those have a very low performance footprint and keep the game's style well, so not really a problem.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

But Quark's loaded with decorative blocks and [has] a very low performance footprint

As long as you turn off the frog feature. It is never Wednesday, my dudes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

I've been playing through GT:NH for a bit now, as someone who never really messed with GT before my thoughts are:

- I understand the ore generation thing (mostly) after people explained it in this thread, but it does mean you can end up stuck on a quest where you need one particular ore (for me it was diamonds) and no way to find it except digging randomly. The dowsing rod should come earlier, and they should let you buy ore with coins even if you havent found all 15 varieties of iron ore yet.

- why do animals randomly explode when killed with a sword sometimes. Yes I know you can use a knife to get around it, it sill makes no loving sense to me whatsoever. Who enjoys making a lovely knife to go poke pigs with when you're in the stone age and have no farm set up.

- adding more mobs, even Infernal mobs, I can kind of understand. They are unbalanced but usually you can just run away, and I play with item drop on death off anwyay. But there absolutely did not need to be extra creepers added with "what if they made even more of a loving mess when they exploded". It's not like lighting up your base early on is particularly easy.

- I understand it's kind of a central tenet of Gregtech, but I am still sad one of my boilers exploded. I know why it happened, it just made such a loving mess.

1) Cheat in a scanner! Finding ores randomly is unfun and every other GT mod adds some way to find them, either ore flowers or a scanner through a quest!

2) Yes it's dumb, whatever it doesn't even hurt.

3) /gamerule mobGriefing false

4) If a boiler has enough heat to produce steam and has no water, it will explode when it gets water. Build the railcraft water tank and use that to keep boilers full. They use 1 mb of water every 1.25 seconds so one tank is enough to keep several boilers full.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Chisel is one of my all time favorite mods. So many great options for making nice stuff.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Chisel looks super fun to mess around with, but it doesn't seem to be updated for 1.16 yet.

Chisel & Bits on the other hand ended up feeling kind of tedious as well as repeatedly crashing, so I ended up disabling it for now.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not saying they're objectively bad mods, but my computer has trouble with loading times and performance as it is and a ton of these weird aesthetic mods do nothing but clog it up.
I'd rather people who really like them add them themselves than just leave them in by default and leave those of us who don't to track down their names and cut them out. Especially when you get stuff like screen shake, blood splatters, shrill animal noises, etc.

Fair enough, I'm usually rolling my own packs anyway. Had some of that frustration playing Heavens of Sorcery with the mod that makes items more of a chore to pick up.

More modpacks should definitely have an "optional mods" feature for sure. Closest thing I've seen is those mega kitchen sink packs that sometimes have a "lite" option.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Any opinions on Omnifactory, it looks like fun and I dig factorio but not sure how grindy it gets late game etc.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Any opinions on Omnifactory, it looks like fun and I dig factorio but not sure how grindy it gets late game etc.

At least one person in this thread really likes it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I've been playing Omnifactory for my factory building fix. It feels like a big step up in QoL stuff from GT:NH, like you start with easily constructed mining hammers, an ore scanner for veins, and the like, and don't have to deal with the whole hardcore abyssal mobs / extra dark night / torches are a pain to get setup. Probably less hard/grindy too but the precaution to build a whole mess of forestry tables feels pretty familiar so far...

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Chisel is good stuff, but part of me really misses the point a few years ago when it had a future. Nowadays it’s all about standardized textures as the rest of its materials and picking up materials from other mods into its format. Back in the day you had all sorts of goofy stuff like holystone which had an appealing weird footstep sound, fantasy wall blocks that use connected textures to darken the lowest levels for walls, factory blocks so cool they couldn’t be abandoned for the standardized format.

I would love another Chisel attempt that does what the factory blocks do in providing a buncha blocks that fill a theme. Various unique connected texture and effects gimmicks to give people more interesting tools than just more single block textures.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GetDunked posted:

I've been playing Omnifactory for my factory building fix. It feels like a big step up in QoL stuff from GT:NH, like you start with easily constructed mining hammers, an ore scanner for veins, and the like, and don't have to deal with the whole hardcore abyssal mobs / extra dark night / torches are a pain to get setup. Probably less hard/grindy too but the precaution to build a whole mess of forestry tables feels pretty familiar so far...
It was designed so that you could play the whole pack in peaceful mode if you wanted. I don't think it loses much. There's some lategame grinds that get really ridiculous, and the push to the creative fluid tank is mind-numbing. But apparently when you reach that you still have a long way yet to go, so it's interesting how they've chosen to dole it out.
Great timesink, though. If it catches you just right you'll lose hours to that pack.

Blind Duke posted:

Chisel is good stuff, but part of me really misses the point a few years ago when it had a future. Nowadays it’s all about standardized textures as the rest of its materials and picking up materials from other mods into its format. Back in the day you had all sorts of goofy stuff like holystone which had an appealing weird footstep sound, fantasy wall blocks that use connected textures to darken the lowest levels for walls, factory blocks so cool they couldn’t be abandoned for the standardized format.

I would love another Chisel attempt that does what the factory blocks do in providing a buncha blocks that fill a theme. Various unique connected texture and effects gimmicks to give people more interesting tools than just more single block textures.
I miss that so much. I forget when the change happened, but when I couldn't make obsidian snakes with totemic faces anymore, I knew we'd lost something special.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I miss holystone too, that poo poo ruled

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One of the mods I added makes the End Dragon harder and it has caged up some of those health regenerating pylons. I was hoping to just blow some of them up but the things I've tried don't destroy anything. I tried with mobGriefing on and off just to see. I haven't seen if something else is overriding that so perhaps I need to check what a creeper does.

I tried two things so far:
1. The TNT bolt courtesy of Tinkers' Construct. I didn't bust dirt nor iron grates. The bolts did one-shot regular mobs though.
2. The explosive revolver ammunition in Immersive Engineering. It looks like it has a good boom but it didn't effect anything either.

I think MFR and Mekanism used to have some fun guns for this kind of thing too, but they don't look to be available any more. I couldn't find anything else looking just for explodey terms in JEI, and I didn't want to just get some random bazooka mod or whatever just for this kind of thing.

Also, is there an accepted 1.12.2 jetpack mod? I thought it would be Simply Jetpacks 2, but it was crashing. Mekanism has one so I was thinking of trying that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Also, is there an accepted 1.12.2 jetpack mod? I thought it would be Simply Jetpacks 2, but it was crashing. Mekanism has one so I was thinking of trying that.

While I like the progression of the Simply Jetpacks, the Mekanism one is cool too.
By the time you are building it, you have probably progressed to a 1 ore=3 ingots setup which will give you a nice hydrogen supply that the jetpack uses for fuel.
Otherwise its pretty easy to build and get early game.

One problem I never foresaw with 1.16 modpacks is that my Industrial Foregoing tree farm is just jammed up with naturally generated beehives now.
Mods with farming in it need to figure out a way to prevent their generation in a specific area or something.