Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
https://mobile.twitter.com/Lord_Mountevans/status/1328475784600821761

...um, ok? Has Meltzer ever called himself the best sports reporter in the USA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I wanna make a Twitter account to call that guy a loving loser

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Saul Goode posted:

Not directly but he likes to cite how other people have.

That guy is still a psycho for doing that much work to point out a bunch of minor flaws in a highly respected 40 year career.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Saul Goode posted:

He consistently calls Frank Deford one of/the best sportwriters ever, which is frankly pretty uncontroversial. Meltzer at times points out that Deford liked him and hand-picked him to cover wrestling for Deford's shortlived paper "The National" in the context of "I care more about what one of the all time greats (or insert big name in wrestling/MMA who likes him) says about my writing than I do Vince Russo" or things to that effect.

I suppose through squinting and being incredibly uncharitable that you could interpret this as somehow Meltzer claiming he is Deford's equal and also still alive therefore the greatest living sportswriter in the USA or something. You could also hold a grudge about Fred Schneider telling the story about how much John Lennon said he liked "Rock Lobster" shortly before his death as that rear end in a top hat claiming that the B-52s are the modern day Beatles.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dave is a really good writer when he has an editor and he’s without question the foremost authority in the world on professional wrestling. Generally when he’s been wrong lately it’s WWE and they’re a company that has no idea what they’re doing and is regularly rewriting shows while they’re on the loving air so judging him based on that seems real dumb.

99.9% of people who go after him are just idiot marks who hate him because Seth Rollins does so who cares.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/status/1328500441009811457?s=20

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That reminds me of my dad deciding to sneak in food at the movie theatre. He stuffed a crunchwrap supreme under his jacket.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Pylons posted:

That reminds me of my dad deciding to sneak in food at the movie theatre. He stuffed a crunchwrap supreme under his jacket.

dudes rock

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

As far as actual journalism goes I'd have to say Bix is the best.

I like Sapp a lot and he has some good sources but his stuff is more reporting in nature and he's able to do a lot of different things whereas Bix is on his 90th microfiche reel of the day by the time I wake up and walk the dogs.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Mob posted:

As far as actual journalism goes I'd have to say Bix is the best.

I like Sapp a lot and he has some good sources but his stuff is more reporting in nature and he's able to do a lot of different things whereas Bix is on his 90th microfiche reel of the day by the time I wake up and walk the dogs.

yeah as far as investigative journalism goes no one can even touch bix

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Saul Goode posted:

To add to what E&C said, he does routinely cite Deford's praise on Twitter these days to try to dunk on all sorts of people. From my Deadspin story about Deford and wrestling from right after he passed away:

https://deadspin.com/how-frank-deford-helped-pro-wrestling-journalism-become-1795783697

Howard Cosell, ranting in his 1991 book "What’s Wrong With Sports," singled out Meltzer’s column: “And what about the pro wrestling column in The National? How ugly. How insane.” That was when Deford publicly defended his protégée for the first time. “It was pretty condescending to me,” Meltzer recalled on Monday in a podcast for his website subscribers. “I just remember Frank ... that was the first time he did the thing of ‘The guy we have covering wrestling is one of the best sports reporters in the country, and it doesn’t matter what he’s covering; the fact is, it’s worth covering.” In later years, Deford would dub Meltzer “the most accomplished reporter in sport journalism” [in an NPR story] and tell the New York Times that “You could cover the Vatican or State Department and not do as good a job as Dave Meltzer does on wrestling.”

It's unclear how much he was reading the Observer week to week at any point that led him to this conclusion. (I suspect that, like with Phil Mushnick, Dave comped him a subscription for years and years, though.) f nothing else, Dave covering the State Department (which is not a bad comparison for reasons I'm about to explain) would have to tighten up how he does his anonymous sourcing, in that he rarely gives the reader any idea of where the information came from. Transparent sourcing doesn't require outing the source; "according to X source[s] in the WWE office" or "X WWE wrestler[s]" would be fine. (There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to when he actually chooses to do this.) And it seems like this is a sore spot to him, too, because when I made a passing reference to his sourcing/attribution habits in an article (specifically comparing him to Wade Keller, not a mainstream reporter), some idiot at the Observer board posted it, he acted like I was asking him to name every source (nope) and comparing him to non-wrestling reporters (double nope).

He's absolutely done plenty of great work (and I don't fault the grammar stuff given the volume he puts out and relative lack of an editor, past laughing at the the more ridiculous examples) and the Observer is an invaluable resource. These days, though, the Deford stuff is nothing more than a cudgel that he uses on people who (rightly or wrongly) criticize him on Twitter. Then again, if the consensus GOAT sportswriter had made a point of mentoring me and routinely praised me in the ways that Deford did Meltzer, I'd probably break it out on trolls sometimes, too.

And as for the praise elsewhere in the thread: Thank you. I try. Thankfully, I tend to flock to stuff other people covering this world aren't doing, both in the document/public record realm and now starting to integrate dystopia/internet culture reporting as it becomes more relevant to rasslin. But you'd also be surprised how much some people in mainstream reporting (or in wrestling media but with journalism degrees) don't know how to file document requests or obtain court records. And I say that as someone who (even if limiting it to pro wrestling) probably doesn't file nearly enough record requests, as what you really want is to file enough that you have a steady stream of things you forgot about coming in. There's a great interview with John Cook about FOIA advice that everyone with an interest in journalism should read: https://www.poynter.org/reporting-editing/2014/foia-lessons-from-gawker-editor-john-cook/

(Even then, I *do* have plenty of unmined stuff, it's just that much of it is older. Hell, I dropped the entire 300+ page FBI file on WWE from '93-'94 along with the ring boys article—it's linked via a page number link to the PDF on DocumentCloud—and I'm not sure anyone even noticed! And that's something of interest where almost none of it was previously available in any form.)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/tamamotoakito/status/1328564573524217856?s=19

The drawing of Paul Heyman is killing me

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Crossposting this here because it's directly relevant:
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1328490609104089104
(I won't plug it anywhere other than here and the WWE thread.)
Wait...which one is Heyman?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This one

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

!!!!!

Same Twitter account as the above embed?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Same tweet, you need to click through because it cuts off the top of the image on the embed

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I’m ECW Legend Larry Sweeney

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ibushi_kota/status/1328614397929877504

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God's perfect idiot, holy poo poo :xd:

I was half expecting the loving Mandalorian to burst in and try to pull it away from him.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

I take no pleasure in reporting that TJP made a good tweet

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Heartbreaking:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Ibushi is the real world equivalent of Goku and this only strengthens that opinion. No man has stronger himbo energy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

dsriggs posted:

I’m ECW Legend Larry Sweeney
:hmmyes:

No, seriously, who are the two heads next to the table supposed to be?

e: vv Ok, that's where my mind went first, but I thought it had to be an actual ECW guy.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 17, 2020

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The guy with the hat is the Hat Guy who was at like, every ECW Arena show, and infamously held the Cane Dewey sign

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

frankenfreak posted:

:hmmyes:

No, seriously, who are the two heads next to the table supposed to be?
The one on the left is Hat Guy from the ECW Arena crowd. No clue about the one on the right.

edit: :argh:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:tipshat:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The hashtags on the post are Tommy Dreamer, Paul Heyman, Hat Boy and Sunglasses Person. So he's Sunglasses Person, whoever that is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The hashtags on the post are Tommy Dreamer, Paul Heyman, Hat Boy and Sunglasses Person. So he's Sunglasses Person, whoever that is.

Lol @ Hat Boy

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Faith No More Guy, I guess? But that dude had black hair?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
It's clearly the Trinity Killer, he's just hype for the Dexter revival.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think the other guy who isn't Hat Guy is just Hat Guy's friend who was almost always with him in the front row.

I, of course, can't find a good picture of him now but if you watch any mid-late 90s ECW TV you'll almost always see them together in their Hawaiian shirts alongside Faith No More guy.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
wrestling needs superfans again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Lid posted:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lid posted:

Oh they’re still there, their thoughts can be found in the Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions thread

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Found him!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lid posted:

It has them in WWE and they're all annoying as gently caress. Gimmick having fans like that clown idiot who are just trying to get themselves over.

Hat Guy is always welcome though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

We definitely do not need more Green Lantern Fans

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the only good superfan is Dorky Nation Of Domination Kid

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

It has them in WWE and they're all annoying as gently caress. Gimmick having fans like that clown idiot who are just trying to get themselves over.

Hat Guy is always welcome though.

Frank the Clown is now Robert Anthony's manager in Warrior Wrestling. I hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Have we forgotten about Clementine Cassidy so soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh48YbTCGsw