Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Motherfucking Mitch McConnell used to run on election reform.

He's been trying his best. Not all reforms are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

doingitwrong posted:

No, he’s saying that liberal media fact checking discourse is smug masturbatory content for their core readership, and utterly pointless as a tool for helping people who have been brutally ill informed become informed.

Yeah, this. The "Candidate X said there were half a million deaths due to poverty last year, but there were actually 500,003. Seven Pinocchios." crap is obnoxious as poo poo, and isn't going to do anything to persuade somebody to agree with you. It's also super obvious that the fact checkers have an axe to grind, because they ignore blatant lies from people they agree with and nitpick poo poo from people they don't.

Fact checking, as it's practiced today, is basically propaganda. Not because it's not true (the best propaganda is true, at least to some degree), but because it's highly selective.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/CopingMAGA/status/1328523274662408196

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, this. The "Candidate X said there were half a million deaths due to poverty last year, but there were actually 500,003. Seven Pinocchios." crap is obnoxious as poo poo, and isn't going to do anything to persuade somebody to agree with you. It's also super obvious that the fact checkers have an axe to grind, because they ignore blatant lies from people they agree with and nitpick poo poo from people they don't.

Fact checking, as it's practiced today, is basically propaganda. Not because it's not true (the best propaganda is true, at least to some degree), but because it's highly selective.

Glenn Kessler of Pinocchio fame is literally an heir of Royal Dutch Shell, lmao

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

doingitwrong posted:

No, he’s saying that liberal media fact checking discourse is smug masturbatory content for their core readership, and utterly pointless as a tool for helping people who have been brutally ill informed become informed.

That's unfortunately true, i was trying to be nice. However my point stands that they were not saying that the liberal media is the ones saying Covid is safe. Unless i missed sarcasm. In that case, gently caress Nixon

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

DemoneeHo posted:

Post Trump votes not realizing they are dying under Trump

https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1328319845012824065

do you guys think they're thinking to themselves 'why would president trump try to deceive me? :ohdear: " in their final moments?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"that liberal nurse's face when I told her covid is a hoax ... *wheeze* ... owned her good"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"I don't believe in the existence of leopards who eat people's faces" says faceless leopard-mauled woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party

drumwolf
Apr 18, 2007

Courage, and Jett rock'n'roll.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

do you guys think they're thinking to themselves 'why would president trump try to deceive me? :ohdear: " in their final moments?

They live in an alternative history where Trump won both the presidencies with the popular vote and executed Hilliary, but for their 2020 real votes were then taken in by the deep state nurses and sacrificed to the death camp.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Fact check chat.

Facebook Knows That Adding Labels To Trump’s False Claims Does Little To Stop Their Spread
Internal data shows that labels on President Trump’s posts decrease reshares by about 8%. They still account for some of the most engaging posts on the platform
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/facebook-labels-trump-lies-do-not-stop-spread

quote:

Trump’s posts, and Facebook’s decision to leave them online, sparked public criticism and alarm among Facebook employees.

“Is there any induction that the ‘this post might not be true’ flags have continued to be effective at all in slowing misinformation spread?” asked a Facebook employee on the company’s internal message board. “I have a feeling people have quickly learned to ignore these flags at this point. Are we limiting reach of these posts at all or just hoping that people will do it organically?”

One employee pointed to the high number of shares on one of Trump’s posts falsely claiming he had won, and said “it doesn’t feel like people are being deterred all that much by our mild dosage of context.”

“The fact that we refuse to hold accounts with millions of followers to higher standards to everyone else (and often they get lower standards) is one of the most upsetting things about working here,” said another employee.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
At this point I am fully supportive of banning right-wing/conservative speech of all kinds. It is demonstrably harmful not only to individuals but our society as a whole. If these idiots were just getting themselves killed I wouldn't care but they're very much hurting others and at that point it needs to be stopped. Germany banned Nazis, we can too. The main problem is that even if a law could be passed nobody would enforce it because they're all chuds too.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

At this point I am fully supportive of banning right-wing/conservative speech of all kinds. It is demonstrably harmful not only to individuals but our society as a whole. If these idiots were just getting themselves killed I wouldn't care but they're very much hurting others and at that point it needs to be stopped. Germany banned Nazis, we can too. The main problem is that even if a law could be passed nobody would enforce it because they're all chuds too.

"...and we're here live on the scene at Riker's Island where hundreds of thousands of uniformed police officers are turning themselves in for jail time after President Biden signed into law an edict banning Nazism. It's unknown what prompted th-"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNpXCzaWW1s

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It's such a weird mental space for me to be in because I was always raised to believe that state controlled media was Bad because they would use it as a propaganda machine against perceived enemies (real or otherwise) and of course it would be used to hide war crimes and spin things to make the government look good but here we are in a world where everything is about maximizing ad revenue and a bunch of other different Bad poo poo happens so like what the gently caress do we do? Even if we leftists had total control of government it seems hopeless. People only listen to people who tell them what they want to hear.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

They are likely dying in the belief that they're being genocided by the hospital because of their political beliefs and Trump failed to save them; maybe this means Trump has failed and America is lost, maybe they'll be praying that he's able to ~save others~.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah, networks like OANN, Breitbart, Newsmax, etc. should absolutely not have a platform and are pure disinformation, to say nothing of terrorists like Alex Jones.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's such a weird mental space for me to be in because I was always raised to believe that state controlled media was Bad because they would use it as a propaganda machine against perceived enemies (real or otherwise) and of course it would be used to hide war crimes and spin things to make the government look good but here we are in a world where everything is about maximizing ad revenue and a bunch of other different Bad poo poo happens so like what the gently caress do we do? Even if we leftists had total control of government it seems hopeless. People only listen to people who tell them what they want to hear.
Well, social media and news companies owned by oligarchs allowed private actors to do propaganda quite effectively. So don't say that propaganda doesn't work.

But yea, america is hosed. Appeasement done by the biden administration might deter a few supporters, but on the hardcore fash, appeasement never works. They will take everything that is given to then and just use it to further their own powerbase until they feel strong enough to finally go for the big one.

Read up on the history of the Weimarer Republik, its a good indicator of americas next few years.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah imaging poo poo is hard. I keep trying to think of a world where all the chuds and republicans are just all dead in a weird suicide death cult orgy. What would happen then.
Just to start, every single democrat politician, not dead from the orgy, would be gone in a week.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Yeah imaging poo poo is hard. I keep trying to think of a world where all the chuds and republicans are just all dead in a weird suicide death cult orgy. What would happen then.
Just to start, every single democrat politician, not dead from the orgy, would be gone in a week.

Lol the dem establishment would demand we pretend the republicans weren't dead and could still vote as decorum. "We vote down medicare for all in dedication to the memory of Mitch McConnell"

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Lol the dem establishment would demand we pretend the republicans weren't dead and could still vote as decorum. "We vote down medicare for all in dedication to the memory of Mitch McConnell"

Edit and mis-read:

And that's why they would only last a week. Everybody would vote/riot to throw the dems out of power. Who wouldn't want to throw them out of power?
But the dems we have right now might be the best the chuds allow.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Nov 17, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Edit and mis-read:

And that's why they would only last a week. Everybody would vote/riot to throw the dems out of power. Who wouldn't want to throw them out of power?
But the dems we have right now might be the best the chuds allow.

Sadly the majority of lib dems still see everything as bad/good and consider themselves to be the "good" guys so what would happen is that instead of fighting the right that they saw as extreme, they'd immediately pivot on us as the new "extreme" wing and then guess what? The Dems are the new right wing of the country and we're the minority left.

Most dems are chuds too. The don't want to eliminate the billionaire and ruling class, they just want to make it more diverse.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

DemoneeHo posted:

lol owned

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Oh and a bunch of chuds went to her workplace the next day to verify her employment because they thought she was lying.

I mean they still say she's lying but at least they know she's actually a medical worker.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
starting to think convincing the chuds that they'll get murdered by doctors for their politics if they ever go to the hospital might be best for everyone involved. healthcare people don't have to deal with them anymore, chuds feel even more persecuted (which they clearly like above all else), and non-insane people have more hospital beds available

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hillary 2020 posted:

Chuds had that for the last four years, now it's ending.

yeah that's why i'm waxing philosophically about it

like imagine your beliefs were part of the political mainstream and you could maybe have your will enacted, i'm so jealous of their simple minds and hateful wants

they just do whatever and the american empire makes sure they always land on their feet, it seems like it'd be a chill loving existence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Chuds are mostly old people who think grease is a food group, so you can take a little comfort in that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Halloween Jack posted:

Chuds are mostly old people who think grease is a food group, so you can take a little comfort in that.

grease in my turds
it's got a groove it's got a meaning.

grease in my turds
grease is the stuff that im pooping

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Halloween Jack posted:

grease, sugar and burnt crunchy bits

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Some of the dumbest, least cultured people on the planet but in their minds they're all Hollywood James Bond and the height of human achievement. They collectively cheapen the human experience (which was a brutal shitshow to begin with). Bunch of loving losers.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sadly the majority of lib dems still see everything as bad/good and consider themselves to be the "good" guys so what would happen is that instead of fighting the right that they saw as extreme, they'd immediately pivot on us as the new "extreme" wing and then guess what? The Dems are the new right wing of the country and we're the minority left.

Most dems are chuds too. The don't want to eliminate the billionaire and ruling class, they just want to make it more diverse.

Post AOC voters realizing that they're going die under AOC.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol owned

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1328737111789461507

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RepNewhouse/status/1329158230820450305

add another chudressman to the list

also do we know what happened to louis gohmert? totally forgot that dipshit had the 'rona a few months back as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yesss at the end it sounds like they are starting to not even believe google, which is the common refrain of dumbass conspiracy theorists "google it"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/RepNewhouse/status/1329158230820450305

add another chudressman to the list

also do we know what happened to louis gohmert? totally forgot that dipshit had the 'rona a few months back as well.

I like how they all use the same tweet format for this. it's like a Sinclair News script but for GOP senators.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I'm sorry I'm having trouble parsing that. 1/1000 residents of ND have died of covid?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and 1 in 83 people there are testing positive

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm sorry I'm having trouble parsing that. 1/1000 residents of ND have died of covid?

785 dead vs population of 762,062 as of 2019

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Their electoral representation grows ever stronger.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DemoneeHo posted:

Honestly this bums me out too. Even if they're lovely people who brought this on themselves they've probably got people who love them who are mostly decent, even if they've gone full QAnon and been estranged from them. Hell, even their suffering creates suffering. loving assholes.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It's a high enough number that you're getting into the territory where most schools, churches or medium-sized businesses would would have lost somebody by now (yes, I know the deaths skew very much to the elderly, but it's helpful example for illustrative purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1329847884997660677?s=20