Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Tigey posted:

To say nothing of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of personnel each captain has killed - never shooting to disable or stun - only kill.

If you count ship crews, its easily millions. A Voth City Ship is 11km long with a population in the "hundreds of thousands to millions" and that big fucker in The Breach is 10 times bigger than that. A borg cube has ~100k drones on it and everyone has blown up tons of them so I bet plenty of players out there are directly responsible for the combat deaths of billions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
all the temporal incursions are people trying to stop our reign of terror

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I can almost understand hand waiving the ships. We can just go "oh well they all got to the escape pods" kind of like how Cobra pilots always pop out of the explosion in a parachute after GI Joe blows the gently caress out of their airplane/helicopter/jetpack/etc with a gently caress off huge missile or laser.

But, uh, how many loving mooks have I shot with a disruptor rifle and watch evaporate into neon dust in agony on ground missions?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

It's the same reason Batman never kills his villains: the writers want to reuse them later. :ssh:

And more than just the characters, they've developed working relationships with the VAs like Denise Crosby that they don't want to sever by killing the characters.

Even though it's absurd that Sela keeps getting away or that we'd continue to work with Neth Parr

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can almost understand hand waiving the ships. We can just go "oh well they all got to the escape pods" kind of like how Cobra pilots always pop out of the explosion in a parachute after GI Joe blows the gently caress out of their airplane/helicopter/jetpack/etc with a gently caress off huge missile or laser.

But, uh, how many loving mooks have I shot with a disruptor rifle and watch evaporate into neon dust in agony on ground missions?

My favorite is one of the missions on Bajor has you set your weapons to stun, but ignores the fact that you're carrying an actual flamethrower.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

It's the same reason Batman never kills his villains: the writers want to reuse them later. :ssh:

If you kill off your carefully crafted comic book villain then you can't get a license cheque for $3.49 in the mail annually forever after.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stunned. You stunned them. It's uh, an optical illusion... solar rays, romulan fog machines, that sort of thing.

Please report to your ship's councellor for electro shock therapy until you believe they're stunned again.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My favorite is one of the missions on Bajor has you set your weapons to stun, but ignores the fact that you're carrying an actual flamethrower.

Stunned across the room with the boolian cannon. No broken necks or spines, they're simply lying awkwardly They'll be fine. No don't look closely, move along.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I took my double-barreled shotgun and stunned the hell out of them green-blooded hobgoblins

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wow, spotted a hobo in the wild

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

wow, spotted a hobo in the wild

Hobo's a shadow of it's former self. They went through a bit of drama in September, but in general they seem to just be a generic kdf fleet now. I've had a pylon in it for a couple of years now, but other than Zelda quitting a few months ago because PVP is dead, I often forget about it.
Zelda's whiny quit mail, if anyone cares:

The fleet leader responded by pointing out that all the PVPers left after delta rising, and they only reason they got any fleet projects done was because of the PVE players.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Good news! There's a new Mudd's bundle, filled with dreadnoughts!

No, not the TOS dreadnoughts. No, not the 26th century dreadnoughts either. People might actually want those. Instead, you get the Hur'q Vedcrid, the Tholian Tarantula, and the Paradox. I think the paradox is the only one people might actually want.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

g0del posted:

Good news! There's a new Mudd's bundle, filled with dreadnoughts!

No, not the TOS dreadnoughts. No, not the 26th century dreadnoughts either. People might actually want those. Instead, you get the Hur'q Vedcrid, the Tholian Tarantula, and the Paradox. I think the paradox is the only one people might actually want.
The Tarantula has been a pretty fun flagship for one of my characters for some time. Can do some dumb stuff with the clicky-console and EPG-cramming.

EDIT: Also Widows and Mesh Weavers.

Lorak fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 17, 2020

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Ya tarantula and paradox are alright, vedcrid tho...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Eh, it's alright? It's just outshone by the Tzen-tar or the miracle worker connie/D7 that are also in the promo packs.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I think the Aeon fighters from the Paradox have the distinction of being the best ship-agnostic hanger pets in the game so long as you don’t have the Superior Area Denial trait.

The Paradox itself is a lovely science dreadnaught that suffers from being a time ship released before Temporal Operative was added to the game. Enjoy your gravity wells and DRBs, time loser.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mondian posted:

Ya tarantula and paradox are alright, vedcrid tho...
They're alright. But for a $300 bundle, I'd hope for a bit more than alright.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Coq au Nandos posted:

The Paradox itself is a lovely science dreadnaught that suffers from being a time ship released before Temporal Operative was added to the game. Enjoy your gravity wells and DRBs, time loser.
Yeah they really should have given it the full temporal spec when they gave it to the Wells and such. Same with Annorax which is even more hilarious without it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Yeah they really should have given it the full temporal spec when they gave it to the Wells and such. Same with Annorax which is even more hilarious without it.

gently caress I forgot about that. Hilarious.

I imagine Cryptic’s hesitation would come to not wanting to set a precedent for substantially changing ships after release. I know if I owned a T6 Excelsior, for example, and I saw Temp Ops abilities added to the Annorax I’d be pushing pretty hard for the same treatment so that I could fly her apart then.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Coq au Nandos posted:

gently caress I forgot about that. Hilarious.

I imagine Cryptic’s hesitation would come to not wanting to set a precedent for substantially changing ships after release. I know if I owned a T6 Excelsior, for example, and I saw Temp Ops abilities added to the Annorax I’d be pushing pretty hard for the same treatment so that I could fly her apart then.
Hopefully that'll happen when they release the legendary Excelsior. Based on current trends, that will come before any legendary kdf ships get released.

For ultimate trolling, they should release a legendary B'rel and make it fed-only.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Is the lifetime sub actually worth buying? I see a discount but that's still $200, poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Is the lifetime sub actually worth buying? I see a discount but that's still $200, poo poo.

Lol no.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

10 years ago, sure. Even at the non-sale price, you would have more than made the cost back up from the monthly stipend.

Now, lol no. If cryptic is holding your family hostage until you spend $200 on the game or something like that, spend it on the legendary bundle when it comes back.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Asimo posted:

Eh, it's alright? It's just outshone by the Tzen-tar or the miracle worker connie/D7 that are also in the promo packs.

its bad and I dont even know what its purpose is, it does have pretty high base health tho
neither the trait or console are good, the shielding is worse than the Voth one and the Hurq swarmer pets are unfortunately only a shadow of the NPC version with very lackluster damage even without taking SAD into account
and the seating on that thing is eh

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Coq au Nandos posted:

I think the Aeon fighters from the Paradox have the distinction of being the best ship-agnostic hanger pets in the game so long as you don’t have the Superior Area Denial trait.

Yeah I got a Paradox and an Astika from a fellow SFD player back in 2016 when I came back for a little while to link my old Cryptic account to Arc or something, I forget. Point is people remembered the old SFD days and thinking about it makes me sad. I miss all of those people a lot.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Ugh. 15,000 Zen for three ships. 5000 each. Bleh. A Tarantula isn't worth that, even though I wanted a tholian ship for ages. And that's not counting the X upgrade.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Despite them seemingly being obssessed with bombarding us with mediocre legendary ships and poor value bundles, they are now adding the T6 Luna/Titan to the C-Store, for 3k zen.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480803-it%27s-the-titan%21

Given its 'heroic' appearance in Lower Decks, the general assumption was of it being a lockbox or promo pack ship, particularly given that its been a while since they introduced a plain 'vanilla' non-bundled/non-pack c-store ship. Adding it at a price point thats affordable for the average player - is unexpected.

I'm still betting on the Ceritos being a promo ship though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tigey posted:

Despite them seemingly being obssessed with bombarding us with mediocre legendary ships and poor value bundles, they are now adding the T6 Luna/Titan to the C-Store, for 3k zen.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480803-it%27s-the-titan%21

Given its 'heroic' appearance in Lower Decks, the general assumption was of it being a lockbox or promo pack ship, particularly given that its been a while since they introduced a plain 'vanilla' non-bundled/non-pack c-store ship. Adding it at a price point thats affordable for the average player - is unexpected.

It's not fleet-ranked, though. So we can still get a Legendary version of it later.

Also, the trait explanation is weird:

quote:

While this trait is slotted, when you activate Engineering, Science, or Tactical Fleet, a ship of your faction's flagship's class will warp in to assist you for several seconds. (Federation characters will summon an Odyssey, Klingon characters will summon a Bort'asqu, Romulan characters will summon a Scimitar, and Jem'Hadar characters will summon a Vanguard Dreadnought Cruiser)

Klanks can't get this ship. So either there's a 2/4 pack waiting for us, or they're dropping the trait in an infinity box.

Also #YearOfTheKlingon.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Ugh. 15,000 Zen for three ships. 5000 each. Bleh. A Tarantula isn't worth that, even though I wanted a tholian ship for ages. And that's not counting the X upgrade.

I remember when the infinity box first dropped. The resulting market crash combined with the issues with the way the "premier" lockbox ships were packaged left the Tarantula and Vonph going for sub-100,000,000 EC. Now they're going for--maybe a billion or so?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Klanks can't get this ship. So either there's a 2/4 pack waiting for us, or they're dropping the trait in an infinity box.

Also #YearOfTheKlingon.

you can get the trait on a KDF character via the Dil reclaim store once you have that trait unlocked on a Fed char

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The trait is pretty much doomed to be useless but the console on the Titan could be good if the numbers are high enough. I kinda like it, it's definitely one of the better Zstore ships they've released.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also I think it's the first tactical mode science ship that isn't a promo/lockbox one, too? Well besides the dyson ones but those don't quite count.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

True, I forgot about that bit.

I want a B'Rel or general BoP that can use the B'Rel skin science destroyer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tigey posted:

That... doesn't look like a very great model. Or maybe it's okay but the hull material looks pretty low-quality on it. It's weird, even regular generic hull materials usually look better now.

And no shots of the classical appearance, the one we got in Lower Decks? Did they leave it as-is? Because compared to current ship standards it's pretty atrocious, I've have thought that a T6 after appearing in the show (and being a recurring setting of season 2) would at least have require a full upgrade to something compliant and not-poo poo.

And the screenshot of the alt-form we see with the fleet version is one of the old alt-skins from the really bad era of STO design with a modern shield effect on top:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 19, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

And no shots of the classical appearance, the one we got in Lower Decks? Did they leave it as-is? Because compared to current ship standards it's pretty atrocious, I've have thought that a T6 after appearing in the show (and being a recurring setting of season 2) would at least have require a full upgrade to something compliant and not-poo poo.

They did remake the old model though it's oddly absent from the blog.

Goons' favorite ex-CM BranFlakes is apparently angling for his old job back by advertising ships for them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/jwjuno/exclusive_ingame_images_of_the_remastered/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Goons' favorite ex-CM BranFlakes is apparently angling for his old job back by advertising ships for them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/jwjuno/exclusive_ingame_images_of_the_remastered/

Oh, okay. Yeah, very wierd that they didn't show it. (Maybe they were planning a second post to show off the remodel and Bran ruined it for them!)

Does that say Tobias Richter did the in-game model? I didn't know he did work for Cryptic.

Tigey posted:

It'd be hard to justify considering that we literally see command/science/engineering variants onscreen in the show, it's already set up for a three-pack. Not that that'd stop Cryptic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 19, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Does that say Tobias Richter did the in-game model? I didn't know he did work for Cryptic.

I think just as a contractor, they outsourced all the Disco Klingon ships to him.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

FuturePastNow posted:

why did they get rid of that one again? or did that one quit? there was an actual cool CM at one point but i can't remember their name.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

why did they get rid of that one again? or did that one quit? there was an actual cool CM at one point but i can't remember their name.

Trendy. We love Trendy.

Dunno about Branflakes outside of he used to get sour about PVP when it was a thing.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wasn't Branflakes also the one that got snowballed on stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AfroSquirrel posted:

Wasn't Branflakes also the one that got snowballed on stream?

Wait what?

Please tell me that we have different understandings of the term “snowballing”