Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm on IRL year 3 of the Great Pendragon Campaign. Kill me.

I am envious

how many PCs have made it to the Round Table for at least two sessions before dying of old age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Two knights and a druid. Though mostly because they helped Merlin steal like... a hundred babies and fake Arthur drawing the sword from the stone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Two knights and a druid. Though mostly because they helped Merlin steal like... a hundred babies and fake Arthur drawing the sword from the stone.

Why does everyone help Merlin steal babies all the goddamn time!?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Night10194 posted:

My players chased Merlin off the isle so hard that merlin turned emo

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Because if you don't 13 fuckin' ride or die killers gonna show up to your manor thinking you banged their wives. :skeltal:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Night10194 posted:

*extremely vaudeville voice*

It's a living!

I'll uh see myself out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Night10194 posted:

look if Merlin says he needs babies you go get him some fuckin' babies

Dude is a half-demon who ages in reverse, you do what he fuckin' says

He's the one dude you do not gently caress with right up until the part where he disappears because he wanted to bang a girl who trapped him in a cave

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I still love this cover. That is a great looking Greatsworder/General.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still love this cover. That is a great looking Greatsworder/General.

Yeah but that sword's balance is totally borked.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

look if Merlin says he needs babies you go get him some fuckin' babies

Dude is a half-demon who ages in reverse, you do what he fuckin' says

He's the one dude you do not gently caress with right up until the part where he disappears because he wanted to bang a girl who trapped him in a cave

These all sound like reasons not to listen to Merlin!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

*Kramering in*

I'm sorry, did someone have Pendragon questions I would be happy to answer Pendragon questions, especially as relates to knights being enormous drama queens because all the kickass Arthuriana we know about today is mostly old Welsh adventure stories bolted on to the poo poo that French troubadours wrote in order to entertain French noble ladies who were paying for entertainment and are apparently the medieval equivalent of, like, the Supernatural fandom today

This is all extremely my poo poo right here.

Edit: I see Pendragon is on its 5th edition. Which edition is the good one, or is it a fight to the death edition war like D&D?

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 17, 2020

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Edit: I see Pendragon is on its 5th edition. Which edition is the good one, or is it a fight to the death edition war like D&D?

I couldn't detail the differences in the first place, but from my understanding the game has remained pretty consistent throughout its editions, though I'm sure bits and bobs have been monkeyed around with of course. I think 4th had some problems with magic or something? The current "edition" is 5.2, following 5.1 and 5.0. I don't remember anything jumping out at me as a big red flag from 5.2, the one I've read within the past half-decade, but I was never deep into the game to begin with.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tokenbrownguy posted:

Because if you don't 13 fuckin' ride or die killers gonna show up to your manor thinking you banged their wives. :skeltal:

Maybe you shouldn't have slept with their wives then.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Smoking Ruin Part 3: The Wild Temple

The Wild Temple is a Stonehenge-like complex that is typically considered the southernmost point of the South Wilds. Nobody’s sure exactly when or how it was constructed, but the EWF’s answer was “uhh, dragons totally willed it into existence.” This is their answer to many things [and is often correct]. From above, the stones form the shape of a spiderweb, and function as a temple to Arachne Solara. Arachne Solara is the Gloranthan goddess of nature, and also much more. She’s thought to be a mask of the great goddess Glorantha herself, and so vast and powerful that even the gods worship her.

In the first age, when the chaos god Gbaji was born, the sun hung still in the sky for an unknown period of time. Arachne Solara got the sun back on its normal range of motion by anchoring a great net to the stones here and enveloping the sun with it. In the second age, this was the place where the Inhuman Dragonewt King met the Troll Veil of the Blue Moon to discuss what to do with the EWF and wound up planning the Dragonkill. In modern times, the temple is the center of the Beastmen’s religious practices, and the place where they resurrect their great King Ironhoof in times of need. The site is also sacred to the Grazelanders as a symbol of their alliance with the Beastmen, as it is the place where King Ironhoof recognized them as friends.

So, from the description of the place we learn that this is a hugely important and powerful place where inhuman and alien creatures meet and that messing with it can result in the destruction of your entire civilization. So, naturally, the book represents it with a random encounter table for a bunch of dumbass bumbling adventurers to wander their way through. Excuse me? There is no way any adventurer with half a brain would be randomly wandering around this place in search of loot, and even if an idiot were to do so and bring something back, their clan would poo poo their pants and make them return it before a bunch of dragons killed them all. I understand that the place is unoccupied most of the time, but your party should not be visiting this place unless they have some sort of OK from the Beastmen or Grazelanders. Which is a shame, because the encounter table has a lot of fun stuff, although the game really doesn’t want you to interact with it. Let’s take a look at some of it:

•The party encounters a group of beastman adventurers. Consisting of a centaur fighter/leader type, a centaur bard, a minotaur berserker, a satyr piper, and a grizzled duck veteran, they have absolutely no reason to be here. The book states they’re just “camping out,” and either chat with the party before parting ways or the party does something to offend them and they fight. If you make your players randomly wander into a fight with a minotaur initiate of Storm Bull you’re an rear end in a top hat and trying to kill them. The party is cool, fully statted out, have full art, and should really be given something to do if you’re going to include them. Are they just some developer’s party that got thrown in here to pad the page count? Who knows.

These guys are cool and utterly wasted.

•Speaking of things with nothing to do: the PCs have a 1/100th chance of running into a pair of dream dragons flying around. One red, the other brown, their names are Ozgamestus and Ayzstrabel, and they absolutely do not want anything to do with the PCs. Utterly. Wasted. This is the Hero Wars! The adventurers are, assumedly, heroes! They should not get to meet a pair of dragons without getting some bullshit draconic prophecy told to them or have some interaction with them. As the book writes it, the dragons just ignore them.

•A Lhankor Mhy worshipping Wyrm asks the PCs to help him with his research. He has a big fake beard, a fanny pack, and an unpronounceable name, so he tells the PCs to call him Scholar Wyrm of Nochet. He’s studying the menhirs in the temple and wants them to do uh, something unspecified to help his research. Although the chapter has a very in depth map of where each rock in the temple is and what they look like, it has nothing on what they actually do, so if you think this is a fun little encounter you better write it all yourself.

•A talking fox asks the PCs for some food and some gold. If they refuse, they spend the next season getting pranked by a miffed Eurmali until she gets bored and leaves. If they give the fox what it wants, they’re joined on their adventures by a pleased Eurmali Fox-woman, who will prank their enemies slightly more than she pranks them until she gets bored and leaves. This is one of the few encounters that works well and I like as-is. The fox-woman has a full stat writeup and if the PC’s really want to get rid of her they can prey on her fear of dogs.

•The Beastmen summon King Ironhoof back to the mortal world. That’s right, there’s a 1/20th chance of a setting-changing, world-important event happening if the players roll randomly.

If you want to use the Wild Temple in a campaign or adventure, I would really recommend not bothering with the random encounter table at all. Have some Beastmen or Grazelanders that the PCs know ask to investigate the place for them and throw some of the encounters you like at them when they get there. That, or rip the encounters out of the Wild Temple itself and put them in the book’s other adventures. There’s no reason a fox woman could only be found at the Wild Temple, and she could wind up being very useful in two out of three of the book’s paths. Above all though, make sure to write in reasons for this stuff happening, rather than having an encounter with dream dragons wind up being boring set dressing.

Next: This entire adventure is dependent on a GM PC.

Nanomashoes fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 17, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Look I don't tell you how to do your job.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Lone Badger posted:

At least not without getting Merlin to turn you into their husband, which is what he wanted the baby for!

Goddamnit Merlin.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It actually just got it’s sixth recently, but they’re all very similar.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Mors Rattus posted:

I'll just check out 5e, then.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

It's out? It doesn't look like it on Chaosium's site.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

That Old Tree posted:

It's out? It doesn't look like it on Chaosium's site.

It's not out, and wont be out for a while. There is a published, free 6th edition teaser adventure that is extremely weird and fantastic.

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/Pendragon/CHA2743/CHA2743%20-%20The%20Great%20Hunt.pdf

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Huh, I'd have sworn it had come out. Must have misread a thing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

the editions are less "mechanical overhauls" and more "we changed publishers," as a rule; they're all fairly identical (not entirely, as there are some minor tweaks - the one that springs to my mind off the top of my head is that certain combat maneuvers like the Double-Feint were stripped out in the switch from 4th to 5th edition, and 4th edition had more support in the core book for playing knights from other parts of Britain) and interchangeable. So my advice would be "pick the edition you can get your hands on."

if you want to read All The Words about 4th Edition - the edition with which I am most familiar and have most of the books for - you can check out the writeup I did ages and ages and ages ago here.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Glorantha and Arthurian legend share a weird characteristic that I absolutely love, which is the Single Buckwild Sentence. An idea so goddamn ridiculous that a part of my brain demands that I spin a story out of it. My personal favorite from Le Morte D'Arthur is "...and Sir Marrok the good knight, that was betrayed by his wife, for she made him seven years a werewolf." There's a French story (Bisclavet) that is though to be Marrok's, but setting that aside I think it's wild to just drop "oh yeah this guy's wife made him a werewolf for seven years. Moving on..."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

At this point I think every woman in Arthuriana is a sorceress of some kind.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Just Dan Again posted:

Glorantha and Arthurian legend share a weird characteristic that I absolutely love, which is the Single Buckwild Sentence. An idea so goddamn ridiculous that a part of my brain demands that I spin a story out of it. My personal favorite from Le Morte D'Arthur is "...and Sir Marrok the good knight, that was betrayed by his wife, for she made him seven years a werewolf." There's a French story (Bisclavet) that is though to be Marrok's, but setting that aside I think it's wild to just drop "oh yeah this guy's wife made him a werewolf for seven years. Moving on..."

The Buckwild Sentence is a powerful force for good in creative writing prompts.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just Dan Again posted:

One of the published Pendragon adventures is built around that one sentence ("The Adventure of the Werewolf" in the The Spectre King adventure collection)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It really seems like knights shouldn't be marrying at all. Or at least should marry each other.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Lone Badger posted:

It really seems like knights shouldn't be marrying at all. Or at least should marry each other.

no, then they'd both be sorceresses.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ratoslov posted:

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Some women aren’t sorceresses! Most of them are named Elaine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ratoslov posted:

Do they get the bzowts?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The guide to Glorantha owns because in many ways it’s lists of purely incredible sentences.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm quite burned out on fantasy in general but Glorantha has a lot going for it, ducks included.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

By popular demand posted:

I'm quite burned out on fantasy in general but Glorantha has a lot going for it, ducks included.

Ducks who are sacred to the death-god are a perfect injection of charm and alien-ness.

Wasn't there someone a few threads ago who said that he liked the Glorantha ducks because they acted as a perfect litmus test for creeps? If you ran into a GM who said he was making "a few tweaks to the setting" and one of those tweaks was replacing or grimdarking the ducks, you knew in advance that there would be far, far worse to come.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
*thinks back to one of her lovely DMs from high school*

Oh yeah, that certainly tracks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Loxbourne posted:

Ducks who are sacred to the death-god are a perfect injection of charm and alien-ness.

Wasn't there someone a few threads ago who said that he liked the Glorantha ducks because they acted as a perfect litmus test for creeps? If you ran into a GM who said he was making "a few tweaks to the setting" and one of those tweaks was replacing or grimdarking the ducks, you knew in advance that there would be far, far worse to come.

I went through this phase when I was in high school.

I am forever ashamed of that phase.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The next Runequest adventure book also features a Grizzled Duck Veteran, this time made by thread favorite John Wick. The writers for this line really seem to like the idea.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are a lot of grizzled duck veterans because the ducks are incredibly cursed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah Ducks spend a shitload of time swording dark wizards and fighting the undead, and a bunch of them are Humakti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

One of the things about the ducks is that you don't have to do any work at all to make them grim. All you have to do is take their actual living situation with any degree of seriousness and you've got all the grim you could ever want.