Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Player died and I did a transition and I was surprised to find that uhhh my courts didn't merge and my 6 prisoners seemingly vanished?

I wasn't playing close attention to courts earlier in this game so maybe that always happens but seems quite counter intuitive. I mean my capital is the same, so why shouldn't I still have the same dungeon and be able to hire the same physician and courtier councillors?

I basically reloaded a save since the impact was so painful. Now I've got to quickly ransom all these prisoners before my player character dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Player died and I did a transition and I was surprised to find that uhhh my courts didn't merge and my 6 prisoners seemingly vanished?

I wasn't playing close attention to courts earlier in this game so maybe that always happens but seems quite counter intuitive. I mean my capital is the same, so why shouldn't I still have the same dungeon and be able to hire the same physician and courtier councillors?

I basically reloaded a save since the impact was so painful. Now I've got to quickly ransom all these prisoners before my player character dies.

Did you lose any titles in the succession, perhaps the courtiers went to another heir's court?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So I read a post here saying you could game succession by letting your heirs die at sea. The event must be really well-hidden because I can't trigger it or find it all. It's not in health_on_actions, health_events, health_effects, health_triggers, war_events, army_on_actions. I don't even think scurvy is a disease in-game. Did I miss it or does it not exist?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

Did you lose any titles in the succession, perhaps the courtiers went to another heir's court?

agh yeah this was probably it. That was the other part of the game that I hosed up. My player just had a kid, then like immediately died and I was busy and didn't have much time to think about how succession would work. I ended up save scumming >_> just to go back and disinherit this one newborn and I've just been waiting for my character to die, but I guess some dice roll went the other way because he's going along fine.

As an aside it's kinda remarkable how low impact disinheriting kids is. There doesn't seem to many drawbacks or perhaps I've simply gotten lucky that if the game designers had built in some bad knock on effects for later I haven't encountered them.

I would think as a game designer one could make it so that the disinherited kid becomes a focal point of a civil war effort to oust you.

I've usually "felt bad" and upon player transition try to make the disinherited kid some vassal.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 14, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

scaterry posted:

So I read a post here saying you could game succession by letting your heirs die at sea. The event must be really well-hidden because I can't trigger it or find it all. It's not in health_on_actions, health_events, health_effects, health_triggers, war_events, army_on_actions. I don't even think scurvy is a disease in-game. Did I miss it or does it not exist?

I don't know if that can even happen. You can lose soldiers to attrition if you leave them in boats too long and it happens fast, but I'm pretty sure knights/commanders won't die that way. I've never seen that happen, certainly.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

I've usually "felt bad" and upon player transition try to make the disinherited kid some vassal.
This is what I do, usually before succession actually takes place. If I can game the situation, I like to hand out the new lands I conquer to these disqualified sons. Usually the high opinion they have carries over to the next ruler.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

As an aside it's kinda remarkable how low impact disinheriting kids is. There doesn't seem to many drawbacks or perhaps I've simply gotten lucky that if the game designers had built in some bad knock on effects for later I haven't encountered them.

I would think as a game designer one could make it so that the disinherited kid becomes a focal point of a civil war effort to oust you.

The downside to disinheriting is the steep renown cost. Not having to recover a title here and there is not worth losing those points.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Femtosecond posted:

As an aside it's kinda remarkable how low impact disinheriting kids is. There doesn't seem to many drawbacks or perhaps I've simply gotten lucky
It's cliche, but I often do a double take when I see stuff like this and only then realize that I clicked on the CKIII thread.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

This is what I do, usually before succession actually takes place. If I can game the situation, I like to hand out the new lands I conquer to these disqualified sons. Usually the high opinion they have carries over to the next ruler.

Incidentally, as long as you're willing to lose one of the two duchies you hold directly, giving third+ heirs enough land would've disqualified them from succession anyway without needing to waste renown.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 14, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Magil Zeal posted:

Incidentally, as long as you're willing to lose one of the two duchies you hold directly, giving third+ heirs enough land would've disqualified them from succession anyway without needing to waste renown.

A trick that's worked for me to keep two duchies in hand is to make one of the two crown duchies elective (so ideally the one your capital isn't in) - if you hold enough of the land then you pick the heir AND all that land gets exempted from your partition and goes straight to the nominee, even if they're your primary heir.

Then you just have to deal with keeping the first duchy together, which can be done in the usual ways (giving your spare kids duchies you conquer or revoke from rebels, disinheritance, getting them killed in a pinch).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

A trick that's worked for me to keep two duchies in hand is to make one of the two crown duchies elective (so ideally the one your capital isn't in) - if you hold enough of the land then you pick the heir AND all that land gets exempted from your partition and goes straight to the nominee, even if they're your primary heir.

Then you just have to deal with keeping the first duchy together, which can be done in the usual ways (giving your spare kids duchies you conquer or revoke from rebels, disinheritance, getting them killed in a pinch).

That's a neat strategy, though it wouldn't really work for most tribals. Still quite useful.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did this game get more achievements yet?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Did this game get more achievements yet?

nah

they'll probably add more with each DLC though, like they did with 2

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

The downside to disinheriting is the steep renown cost. Not having to recover a title here and there is not worth losing those points.

Hmm maybe I didn't close closely enough there at what I was losing.

I feel like I'm kinda nearing end game (maybe?) in my game (which was the default Irish start), as I'm in high medieval. I'm King of Ireland and Scotland and have a toehold on Wales. I suppose my goal this game is to form the empire of Britain. At this point the game feels like sort of on auto pilot with no one really able to threaten me and I'm just going through the motions. Maybe I'm not being competitive and ambitious enough. Earlier on Mercia was very powerful, super aggressive, and really tough to fight against, but at some point they split up into several dutchies and it's become easier to deal with them independently.

I almost branched out and thought about invading Iceland but they were Superior in power to me (!?!?!) because they were allied with Syria, which has quietly become a massive powerhouse encompassing much of northern africa.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 15, 2020

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Hmm maybe I didn't close closely enough there at what I was losing.

I feel like I'm kinda nearing end game (maybe?) in my game (which was the default Irish start), as I'm in high medieval. I'm King of Ireland and Scotland and have a toehold on Wales. I suppose my goal this game is to form the empire of Britain. At this point the game feels like sort of on auto pilot with no one really able to threaten me and I'm just going through the motions. Maybe I'm not being competitive and ambitious enough. Earlier on Mercia was very powerful, super aggressive, and really tough to fight against, but at some point they split up into several dutchies and it's become easier to deal with them independently.

I almost branched out and thought about invading Iceland but they were Superior in power to me (!?!?!) because they were allied with Syria, which has quietly become a massive powerhouse encompassing much of northern africa.

When I’m in a good position that’s when I really try to start some long cons like creating an heir that will inherit a neighboring kingdom so that I don’t have to try to conquer it piece by piece.

Or just abducting claimants and pressing claims in mad dashes for power.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Blimpkin posted:

When I’m in a good position that’s when I really try to start some long cons like creating an heir that will inherit a neighboring kingdom so that I don’t have to try to conquer it piece by piece.

Or just abducting claimants and pressing claims in mad dashes for power.

haha I was trying to setup one of my daughters as a heir to a major player in England, and betrothed her to a son of the family with a plan for the main heirs of that family to have some 'accidents', but then I took my eye off the ball for a bit and when I looked back she was married to some nobody in Russia. I'm like, lol what happened? Funny how much weird complex poo poo can happen in this game.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Another confusing UI bug.

I'm currently engaged in a Crusade against some guy off in Arabia, the warscore is at 94% in our favor so I'm about to launch my own claim war against the King of France, who is of my religion and not even a participant in the crusade, and I'm getting this warning that my war will instantly end inconclusively. I don't think this is acting as intended. Since it's a claim war I'm going to go through and declare it to see what happens, since at worst I'll just lose 400 prestige and still keep my claims, which would become Pressed instead of Unpressed.

And upon declaration the war proceeds as normal, so this is a very misleading warning.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What will happen if one of my unlanded, non-player heir children is set to inherit a duchy or kingdom but no counties?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They'll usurp one of the counties in it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

What happens if an OPM count dies with no heir? Does the game magic up a new count, like with the CK2 create baron button?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It reverts to their liege.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

It reverts to their liege.

I may be using OPM the wrong way. I meant an independent count, no liege.

Though actually, yeah, the same could happen to an independent duke or higher title, right? Like let's say I grant a duchy to an elderly lowborn rando, then grant independence, then the duke dies, what happens? Does the duke's most powerful vassal inherit? Title disappears and the counts go independent? What if the duke owned all the counties directly?

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 17, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

What happens if an OPM count dies with no heir? Does the game magic up a new count, like with the CK2 create baron button?

It magics up a new count with a new court. It's pretty easy to test in debug mode, start in 867 and kill off everyone in Haestein's court, and then kill him and his son. It'll generate a new count, with 11-13 people in their court.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That’s consistent with CK2, then. If there’s no heir and no liege, it defaults to Open succession, i.e. “some previously-notional minor noble grabs it.”

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

binge crotching posted:

It magics up a new count with a new court. It's pretty easy to test in debug mode, start in 867 and kill off everyone in Haestein's court, and then kill him and his son. It'll generate a new count, with 11-13 people in their court.

Thanks for checking that out! I’ve never used debug mode before. Maybe if it sticks around in my head, I’ll try out the liege dying with no heir scenario to see if the vassals go independent or one of them inherits.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-44-1-2-bits-bobs.1442919/

New devdiary! A lot of small improvements here and there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Some very nice things there, but it's a bit silly that they cling to and keep on iterating on the rally-point mechanic rather than just do away with it and have a generic “raise here” button for any and all territory you own. It would cut out a bunch of steps and be more in line with how rally points work in practice anyway.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

You can now grow old, sick, tired, and depressed more efficiently, with new events that dole out the “Infirm” trait.

Gee, thanks game!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly the game does need more serious old age mortality. The amount of characters making it to 80 is kinda ridiculous.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Tippis posted:

Some very nice things there, but it's a bit silly that they cling to and keep on iterating on the rally-point mechanic rather than just do away with it and have a generic “raise here” button for any and all territory you own. It would cut out a bunch of steps and be more in line with how rally points work in practice anyway.

I immediately thought about putting down a peasant rebellion by dropping the rally point on the siege, and then rallying troops surrounding the rebels, and moving in on them from all angles at once. They should just have a cool down time for the rally points so that you either have to strategically place them for optimal distribution of force, or get burned if your situation has become truly unstable and you're being pulled in multiple wars and battles.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some really nice changes there, the army attachment is a huge one for me. There are times where I'd like to help allies out, but I'm busy with something else and don't want to deal with armies on two sides of the map at once. Being able to put 2k levies on follow for an AI to help them with battles/sieges, and then forget about them would be a really nice feature.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They need to crank the infant mortality up to 11. Most kids should die before age five.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They need to crank the infant mortality up to 11. Most kids should die before age five.

Fertility feels really off compared to CK2. Like it's going to default giving you a ton of kids because gently caress you everyone has gavelkind. Just really bad and leaning more into game design than sim and I prefer sim.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

My understanding is that this is an intentional design decision to prevent the game having 20x as many dead kids in the character history. I say if it's gonna cause slowdown then absolutely do not do this, I will take game performance over enhanced simulation any day.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah what they said when child mortality came up in CK2 is that they just have fewer children born in the first place and side step having a bunch of dead babies to deal with.

But I agree that fertility just is too high right now, I've never ever felt the dynasty was at risk of dying out, and the only irritating thing is that Partition means you can never find male dynasts to make your crusade beneficiary.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'll agree on the fertility thing to an extent, it does feel like we get a lot of living kids even without fertility boosts and even when I'm not playing with concubines/polygamy. With that said personally I don't mind because it lets me spread my dynasty around and hopefully get the renown ticking up. I've personally found it harder to get lots of dynastic legacies when you start with a small dynasty now that there's the cap from living members.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah what they said when child mortality came up in CK2 is that they just have fewer children born in the first place and side step having a bunch of dead babies to deal with.

But I agree that fertility just is too high right now, I've never ever felt the dynasty was at risk of dying out, and the only irritating thing is that Partition means you can never find male dynasts to make your crusade beneficiary.

I feel like the way that crusade beneficiaries should work is that they just allow you to nominate any unlanded dynasty member, whether they're in line for any titles or not, and if they end up receiving land after a successful crusade they just get disinherited.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the way that crusade beneficiaries should work is that they just allow you to nominate any unlanded dynasty member, whether they're in line for any titles or not, and if they end up receiving land after a successful crusade they just get disinherited.

:five:
A legitimate way to get rid of your excess children without resorting to voting-restriction shenanigans and without making them upset about it. It would also be nice to actually have an in with all these new territories being opened up that you are in large part responsible for creating. Rather than have the new King/Queen of whateveristan have a base opinion of “gently caress you, I'm king” because they're just some rando that was handed a crown, it would be nice if they had some previous knowledge of you (and vice versa) or even — shock and horror — showed some appreciation for your contribution to putting them on that throne.

…not that I'm bitter about anything. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That would be better, and honestly you should probably be able to name yourself, if you give up your lands back home in the process. Bohemond was a first son and already landed when he set off on the First Crusade, and Godfrey - despite being a second son - was already Duke of Lower Lorraine.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I notice they still haven't fixed the allied combat AI in the slightest. Just lost a few battles in a crusade because my allies kept dancing around the battlefield, never joining the fight.

Edit: The dancing isn't even connected to trying to avoid attrition either, it seems. The AI will gladly stack up on my troops when I try to replenish supplies.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 18, 2020