Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember in one playthrough the character I wanted to propose to left the game long before I was done playing (which happened because I did her quest sooner rather than later, as you might when you're interested in a character) and someone else maxed out by accident as I neared endgame. Realizing this meant I was in "love" with someone I didn't actually want, I found a random NPC I could tolerate and just gave them a bunch of harpsbud juice until they loved me. So the person who showed up in the infamous cutscene was a literal nobody with only idle NPC chatter by way of speaking lines. I thought that was funny, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zereth posted:

I think they made it so you didn't get credit for talking to a merchant for the true love thing unless you actually chose the "talk to" option, just using the shop didn't count?

it was this - normally just talking to an NPC for any reason raises their affection by a tiny amount, and the game is very liberal about which characters are affected by its affection system, so this naturally included the doofy innkeeper and the random “they’re masterworks all” weapon seller guy. except you talk to these guys hundreds of times over the course of the game and skip past their 2 lines over and over because they’re basically an important menu which you frequently need to access as you play. this naturally led to countless players going into the epic dragon fight at the end of the game just to have the game dramatically reveal that their true love was...the random innkeeper whose name they probably couldn’t remember.

so capcom added special exceptions for them which means just talking to them no longer raises their affection, because capcom are cowards

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So the true ending is to talk to some rando jerk you hate a few more times than to your fiance, let the end boss grab them, then just happily walk away without lifting a finger or risking your own skin.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

So the true ending is to talk to some rando jerk you hate a few more times than to your fiance, let the end boss grab them, then just happily walk away without lifting a finger or risking your own skin.
No the en boss stole your heart early in the game.

By which I mean your literal physical heart out of your chest.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/zakiyama8618412/status/1328732777315926019

edit: not sure if this is glitch but I'm leaving it because it's funny

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Nov 18, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
RENEGADE INTERRUPT

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i know i said the dialogue is boring but this is ridiculous!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Froste/status/1328924490072350721

someone please help miles

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Must've been one hell of a genetically engineered spider that bit him.

I noticed the Miles game was a bit buggier compared to the original, but all I got was a couple of crashes instead of any funny glitches.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had no idea Miles Morales was a stealth Prey sequel

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Man, when did Spidey get shapeshifting powers? I mean, since the last time he got rid of the black suit, anyway. I'm feel like really out of the loop here.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, when did Spidey get shapeshifting powers? I mean, since the last time he got rid of the black suit, anyway. I'm feel like really out of the loop here.

well, when a house and a radioactive spider love each other very much,

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this is hilarious and i'm not sure why it works, but it should probably be the main feature of the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doc M posted:

I noticed the Miles game was a bit buggier compared to the original, but all I got was a couple of crashes instead of any funny glitches.

I only got one freeze in my playthrough, I'm sad that I almost never get anything hilariously insane like that.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

this is hilarious and i'm not sure why it works, but it should probably be the main feature of the game.

I'm guessing the game thinks that the slot where Spiderman's model is stored is actually a empty slot, so as it loads new models there's a chance they get written to Spiderman's slot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm guessing the game thinks that the slot where Spiderman's model is stored is actually a empty slot, so as it loads new models there's a chance they get written to Spiderman's slot.
I don't think I've seen that sort of mistake since the original Pokemon games - later consoles generally check for that kind of thing a bit more diligently, since they don't need to overwrite essential sanity checking routines just to fit on the cartridge anymore. God knows how that game is programmed, though, so it's not impossible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If anyone tells you they know how memory pointers work they are a liar.

E. The Red Dead donkey ladies and such were definitely weird memory point things and that was 10 years ago which I guess is only so much more recent than Pokemon.

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember in one playthrough the character I wanted to propose to left the game long before I was done playing (which happened because I did her quest sooner rather than later, as you might when you're interested in a character) and someone else maxed out by accident as I neared endgame. Realizing this meant I was in "love" with someone I didn't actually want, I found a random NPC I could tolerate and just gave them a bunch of harpsbud juice until they loved me. So the person who showed up in the infamous cutscene was a literal nobody with only idle NPC chatter by way of speaking lines. I thought that was funny, at least.
There's a real world marriage allegory in here somewhere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

E. The Red Dead donkey ladies and such were definitely weird memory point things and that was 10 years ago which I guess is only so much more recent than Pokemon.
Yeah, good point. Pointing to a human model when you wanted an avian model is exactly how you'd get that. It's just weird for that to actually work instead of producing an exotic crash report, if you know what I mean.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They've been using the same underlying engine for a very long time, the asset handling code must be pretty bulletproof by now. Crashes in console games are supposed to be absolutely unacceptable so you have to handle every possibility up to and including assigning a model to a rig it was never meant to work with and telling it to do moves it doesn't have animations for

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

haveblue posted:

They've been using the same underlying engine for a very long time, the asset handling code must be pretty bulletproof by now. Crashes in console games are supposed to be absolutely unacceptable so you have to handle every possibility up to and including assigning a model to a rig it was never meant to work with and telling it to do moves it doesn't have animations for

I do like how Breath of the Wild did it: Whenever the error handler picked up a crash, it would instantly trigger a blood moon, respawning enemies and fixing most of the crash bugs. Which combined with the propensity of the game to destabilize if left running, and the console only suspended instead of actually powering off or closing and re-opening the software, lead to the problem of the game blood mooning me every time I got close to Dinraal. I'm just trying to upgrade my armor and getting cockblocked by Ganon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Is that why that kept happening to me? That's ingenious.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Godawful sonic 3d blast for genesis did something like this - the crash handler just brings you to a level select screen, which was pretty cool to stumble upon when I was 10: https://www.cinemablend.com/games/1709919/why-punching-sonic-3d-blast-opened-a-level-select-screen

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
The famous Chris Houlihan room in A Link To The Past was similar; doing something that would cause the game to crash would just dump you in a secret room full of rupees.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another famous one: the original Wing Commander had a bug that would make it crash and print an error every time the user hit the quit command. They ran out of time before they could fix it properly, so they just changed the error message to read "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

haveblue posted:

Another famous one: the original Wing Commander had a bug that would make it crash and print an error every time the user hit the quit command. They ran out of time before they could fix it properly, so they just changed the error message to read "Thank you for playing Wing Commander!"

The secret good ending lol

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another funny one is that the only reason Donkey Kong 64 comes with the memory expansion pack is because it had a memory leak that was causing it to crash if running too long and fail cert. The game is 100% functional without the extra memory, but having it extends the time it takes for the leak to crash the game beyond what was required to pass certification.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Another funny one is that the only reason Donkey Kong 64 comes with the memory expansion pack is because it had a memory leak that was causing it to crash if running too long and fail cert. The game is 100% functional without the extra memory, but having it extends the time it takes for the leak to crash the game beyond what was required to pass certification.

That doesn't sound right so I looked it up and yeah the claim is disputed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_64#Development posted:

According to Rare programmer Chris Marlow, the company could not resolve a bug that occurred without the Expansion Pak and thus they were forced, at great expense, to bundle the game with the memory upgrade.[27] However, Stevenson called Marlow's story a "myth" and said that the decision to use the Expansion Pak was made early on in development. While such a bug did exist towards the end of development, according to Stevenson, "the Expansion Pak wasn't introduced to deal with this and wasn’t the solution to the problem."[23]

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

marshmallow creep posted:

Ah, Mercedes. Yeah, hers is very tough to get since she leaves like 1/3 - 1/2 way through the game and way easier to trigger on a NG+ since you can throw everyone else into the nearest body of water to reset them. Or don't talk to anyone at all since unlike a lot of other games NG+ doesn't increase enemy health and you're one-shotting everything including bosses with your OP gold dragonforged gear and maxed out stats.

Whoever allowed Simone (the 9 year old) to be an option either has a very warped sense of humor or needs to have the police called on them like Granos.

e: now I wanna play DD again damnit

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
They do also let you make your character be basically a kid too, so I guess the idea was children holding hands, but the writing forgets that a bit.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1330396165595131906

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/dSJdfgq.mp4
Strong "extra wandering onto live set" vibes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

What the hell Garry, you can't just pop into reality like that, we're trying to make a movie over here.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Sadly no video, but I was playing Fallout 4's Nuka World expansion, and noticed a bottle of cola clipped into a shipping crate when the crate started lifting off and spiraling through the air. At first I thought of it as just :bethesda:, but no, I found out later by accidently manhandling a corpse (since loot and grab are the same button) that all the physics objects in the area were somehow under moon physics. I would toss a corpse like straight up and it would take five to ten seconds to hit the ground.

Kind of surreal.

That box, even when freed of the bottle kept careening around like a balloon with the air escaping though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That comment reminds me of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. You frequently have conversations in the street where you'll still see pedestrians in the background. However if they walk towards where the conversation is taking place then at a certain distance they'll suddenly do a 180 degrees spin and start walking in the other direction. Like they all forgot to pick up toilet paper or left the stove on.

Obviously its so these random pedestrians don't walk straight into the scene, but once you notice it for the first time you can't help but continue noticing it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe they just don't want to get close to the weirdo LARPing a JRPG right there on the street.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

After 40 years the citizens of Kamurocho have developed a sixth sense for sensing when a yakuza protag is going about their business

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure at this stage nobody should want to get close to a yakuza member.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Interrupting and asking help from Kiryu usually ends up pretty nicely, though. :confused:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

After 40 years the citizens of Kamurocho have developed a sixth sense for sensing when a yakuza protag is going about their business

There's a reason you never see anyone riding any of the hundreds of bikes left lying around, natural selection has made approaching a bicycle in Kamurocho the sort of thing that ensures you never reproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

That comment reminds me of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. You frequently have conversations in the street where you'll still see pedestrians in the background. However if they walk towards where the conversation is taking place then at a certain distance they'll suddenly do a 180 degrees spin and start walking in the other direction. Like they all forgot to pick up toilet paper or left the stove on.

Obviously its so these random pedestrians don't walk straight into the scene, but once you notice it for the first time you can't help but continue noticing it.

Yeah I remember that, I've seen it a couple times in Valhalla, although it's a lot more common walking around than in cutscenes. From what I've seen so far, most of the cutscene bugs are with key characters - mostly things like character positions. A couple times Eivor has been standing normally for the scene itself but then drops from a few feet off the ground as soon as it ends, because I was on a horse when I triggered the scene :vv:
This is the first major one I've run into, especially with a rando NPC.