Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Big Agnes tent designs are really good, but some of the materials are really delicate. Be careful about where you set them up because I've seen ripped inners and outers from minor stuff. And as with any tent store and clean them properly after they get wet and dirty, especially with thin fabrics like BA use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 ripped near, but not on a seam during my first tour with it. I’ve fixed it but it really sucked.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly for the price of the high end big agnes you might as well add a little more and get full DCF. Half the weight and a lot more durable.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I and a bunch of people I know tour and just camp in general with the MEC Tarn 2, some of them decades old. It's stupid they discontinued it in favour of more expensive brands and welp now they're bankrupt.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

kimbo305 posted:

Found these pics when cleaning up Google Photos.
First day of my first tour, from (as captioned on my jacket) Seattle to San Francisco:

These two old guys were doing the Seattle to Portland ride, and one of them had the same getup as me -- pink Brooklyn cap and glasses mirror.

Once in a while, you'd see the ACA sticker for the route we were riding:

This one was particularly poignant cuz I'd just taken a picture of that geography:

These photos are awesome. I'm planning to do Seattle to San Diego via highway 101 in 2021 and I'm nervous as hell, as I've never done anything longer than a few days. From what I've seen the route looks cool though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DR AIDS posted:

These photos are awesome. I'm planning to do Seattle to San Diego via highway 101 in 2021 and I'm nervous as hell, as I've never done anything longer than a few days. From what I've seen the route looks cool though.

It’s mostly scenic and safe, but there’s a few stretches where the shoulder is narrow and the logging trucks are fast. You’ll love it. My fave stretch is the 150mi north of SF, but the variety absolutely delivers.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

DR AIDS posted:

I did it Oct 2019 and it was one of the best times of my life. I look back on those days rn and wish I was back on the road.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Honestly for the price of the high end big agnes you might as well add a little more and get full DCF. Half the weight and a lot more durable.

This is the first I've heard of DCF tents. Are they that much better than "regular" tents? I have a North Face Talus 4 for reference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're the highest grade material for tents currently, yeah. Dyneema cuben fiber is pretty ridiculously strong and light and is 100% waterproof and repairs super well and easily with DCF tape. The best for my money is Tarptent. Zpacks is a big name but they're quality is iffy and their customer service sucks. Hyperlite Mountain Gear is a great choice if you want extra durability over lightweight. People have done multiple through hikes on the AT/PCT and the tents have held up. I still prefer tarp and bivy for air flow and versatility but if I needed a full tent I'd get the Protrail in DCF.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail-li/

There's also a new woven version that's a little heavier but even stronger. Revelate is using it for their handlebar bag

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/handlebar/pronghorndrybag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhi31qZIbA

While that video makes DCF 50 look fragile I can assure you it's not. I have a backpack made with it and it's insanely durable unless you literally take a blade to it as demonstrated there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 6, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

I still prefer tarp and bivy for air flow and versatility

What kind of bivy is that and in what climate do you use it? I'm interested in trying out this setup but I've never used a bivy and the ones that are just a second sleeping bag and the ones that have a hoop and look like a very small tent look very different.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Borah Gear tarp and bug bivy. It typically set it up like a 2 wall tent with one collapsible carbon poll and a tree. I’ve used it in the Southwest and Southeast. It’s great because in good weather I don’t bother with the tarp and just throw down the bivy in any nice spot and it’s like cowboy camping but you have a ground sheet and full bug net over you.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 6, 2020

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

cebrail posted:

What kind of bivy is that and in what climate do you use it? I'm interested in trying out this setup but I've never used a bivy and the ones that are just a second sleeping bag and the ones that have a hoop and look like a very small tent look very different.

I got the just the bag setup and it's Ok. If you already got all the other camping equipment like a tent ground sheet, sleeping bag and mat you can definitely try bivying for cheap by just getting a bag off ebay and going on a dry night to see if you like it. If there's no rain forecast you shouldn't need a tarp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Real bivys are absolute condensation hell if you're in the wrong climate for them (humidity and dew point dependent mostly). I tried one once and woke up soaked on a clear night, to the point where I had to wring out my sleeping clothes. That's why I vastly prefer the bug bivy style.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have that same Borah bug bivy and it’s real good. Can you post a pic on how you’re using that tarp?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Either of these two pitches 90% of the time since I almost always just have one pole. There are also a few poleless pitches you can do if there are trees to tie out to. The top is better for all over rain protection and the second is better for wind protection.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 6, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh god

i won $3000 on the election and i wanna quit the world again

let's say i wanna do more off-road this time. better option than the long haul trucker?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want something in the same wheelhouse a Kona Sutra LTD is a great platform to do pretty much any kind of touring. Can take up to 2.1 tires I think.

Salsa Fargo if you want to run fatter tires and more rugged terrain.

Bombtrack has a ton of options in that space too.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
All City Gorilla Monsoon maybe? Salsa has some really good drop bar bikes for touring/bikepacking. If you want flatbar/swept back bars, Surly has a lot of great bikes for off road touring and bikepacking.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Cerberus and I went for another ride this weekend. Here is a very rough shot video of what it's like riding with him. Nothing super exciting happens.

https://youtu.be/wVTlK2WBrFA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:3: good dog

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Excuse me but that was very exciting and he looks very excited to me.

How much distance can he cover in a day?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

bamhand posted:

Excuse me but that was very exciting and he looks very excited to me.

How much distance can he cover in a day?

In summer he can only do about 10 km per day because of the heat. I don't take him out for much longer than that, or we take longer breaks during the ride for him to recover. When it's cooler in spring/fall, he can do 20 km per day. In winter he can do about 25 km. On this run we did 17 km.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I have that same Borah bug bivy and it’s real good. Can you post a pic on how you’re using that tarp?

I have the same setup too and I usually just tie off one point of my 10x10 tarp to a tree or something, and stake the other three points down in a "plow point" configuration because I'm lazy

with that size tarp you can make a tent if the weather is bad, just use a stick for the central pole

(16:30 if it doesn't start there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV92xni5q8w

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I think i spend more time planning bike tours than i do cycling. and i cycle ALOT.

send help

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I think i spend more time planning bike tours than i do cycling. and i cycle ALOT.

send help
Help is in the form of someone who is on a tour that convinces you to come along.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

send help

What are you planning now?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Koth posted:

What are you planning now?

Outer Hebrides! it's a little island chain off the coast of scotland. I had it booked for this year but then Covid happened so i'm gonna do it as early as possible next year when the campsites are open and the weather not to crap. It's not super long but it's pretty remote and there's a bunch of ferry crossings. i've had a board up with all the ferry timetables and trains pinned to my wall for the last 7 months :(

e: On equipment side of things i got some new panniers. they're arkel drylites and are like 450g for the pair with 28ltr of storage.

here's a poo poo photo i took of them to show my bf they fit my bike. i did some bad math but compared to my normal bikepacking setup it's only about 500g extra weight, counting the rack, and it's a gently caress ton more convenient.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 15, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

Outer Hebrides! it's a little island chain off the coast of scotland. I had it booked for this year but then Covid happened so i'm gonna do it as early as possible next year when the campsites are open and the weather not to crap. It's not super long but it's pretty remote and there's a bunch of ferry crossings. i've had a board up with all the ferry timetables and trains pinned to my wall for the last 7 months :(

e: On equipment side of things i got some new panniers. they're arkel drylites and are like 450g for the pair with 28ltr of storage.

here's a poo poo photo i took of them to show my bf they fit my bike. i did some bad math but compared to my normal bikepacking setup it's only about 500g extra weight, counting the rack, and it's a gently caress ton more convenient.

i used those for my trans-europe trip. for how light they were, they held up fantastically over 45 days and even after getting snagged on many branches & stairway handrails & even an early-morning assault by a colony of ants, i never had a leak.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

God Hole posted:

i used those for my trans-europe trip. for how light they were, they held up fantastically over 45 days and even after getting snagged on many branches & stairway handrails & even an early-morning assault by a colony of ants, i never had a leak.

The material does feel pretty robust though i'm not a massive fan of how it attaches to the bottom of the rack with the bungee cord hook. did it ever wobble off over rougher terrain? my rack isn't tall enough to get it taut so i gotta hook it over a part it could slip off from or kinda loop the cord around one of the rack struts.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

my rack was just long enough that it was pretty much perfectly taut, when I pulled the bungee it had to stretch a full 2-3 inches to hook onto the bottom of the rack (visible in my pic, it's the curved black bar just under the bag).

went over plenty of gravel and washboard and it never knocked loose. filling up the bags to full capacity seemed to help keep it rigid as well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i use axiom panniers and i like the bungee system. i got a pair of ortliebs a couple months ago and haven't used them yet because they don't clamp down very securely to my rack at all compared to the axioms. i'm really disappointed; i have a weird curvy rack but confirmed that ortliebs fit on it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Apidura put out a new line of MTB specific bags in a nice welded seam VX21. If anyone is looking for bikepacking or MTB geometry compatible stuff that’s a great option.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i use axiom panniers and i like the bungee system. i got a pair of ortliebs a couple months ago and haven't used them yet because they don't clamp down very securely to my rack at all compared to the axioms.

Is it just that the hooks are loose? Do any of the adapter shims fit? I've taken to building up rack tubing diameter by wrapping electric tape around the mount points until it gets the clip snug to the rack. Helps with the rattles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, the orlieb issues sounds like no shims on a narrow tube rack.
Also, you may need to play with the lower hook a touch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

bikepacks are clearly the new hotness but they just don't compare for convenience. If you're doing full gravel days sure go wild, but that's not everyone.

i got a pair of ortliebs a couple months ago and haven't used them yet because they don't clamp down very securely to my rack at all compared to the axioms. i'm really disappointed; i have a weird curvy rack but confirmed that ortliebs fit on it
What fittings are on your ortliebs? Where are they not secure?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 17, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

What fittings are on your ortliebs? Where are they not secure?
My only problem is that the bottom hook pops out over rough terrain. I'm lazy, but adding a second hook or even just putting a bungie around the bag would probably fix the problem.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh a second hook is a good idea. yeah it's just loose, not a tight fit at all, and the bottom hook goes in at a weird angle. ideally they'd be removeable but i'm totally fine looping more zip ties just like everything else on my bike is

my rack is so pretty and i don't wanna change it but i do get that the swooping tubing is weird

https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo-bags-kickstands/products/payload-rack?variant=24749204929

edit lol jesus

quote:

Verified purchase
11/21/2016
I spoke with Chris smitherman before buying one and it turned out great. I put this rack on my 2015 specialized 650b 27.5 tire hard tail with disc brakes. I did have to use a 1/4 inch spacer on the disc brake side. That's it. Looks bad @$$. I use this bike hunting and usually tie a full deer or half elk on the bike and push it out on ol logging roads that are gated. Time will tell if it can stand up to the stress. I'd definitely recommend this product. Thanks again Chris

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 18, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

yeah it's just loose, not a tight fit at all

That’s pretty easy to fix then. And would rattle less than another hook.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Friend invited me to do C&O trail from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh in the Spring so I'm getting ready. Front panniers haven't arrived yet, but here's a preview.

The front rack just barely fit around the disc brakes, which is why it's nowhere close to being level.

In the meantime though, I'm loving set up for getting groceries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Friend invited me to do C&O trail from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh in the Spring so I'm getting ready. Front panniers haven't arrived yet, but here's a preview.

The front rack just barely fit around the disc brakes, which is why it's nowhere close to being level.

In the meantime though, I'm loving set up for getting groceries!

Hell yeah. I did that after coming down from Cleveland earlier in the year. It’s a great trail. The first 20 miles or so are going to be a real grind coming from Cumberland but then you should have pretty much all downhill.