Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Oh good more kabuki theater.

Poland is set to receive 65 billion euros from the recovery package.
Spain and Italy need it like they need air to breathe.
This thing will get through in December, the rule of law provisions are going to be watered down to symbolic fines or a sternly written letter.

Feel free to quote and own me when it all goes to poo poo and Hungary invades Italy or something equally stupid happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

true.spoon posted:

So a relief package was not only not blocked by "the frugal four" but the reason it was blocked was because of provisions that were not put in out of economic selfishness, and this is your reaction? What in the world?

I wonder what options there are to play hardball with Poland and Hungary. Or if they just have to pass something with no strings attached.

That's a tough one, but ultimately a bailout seems more important than putting pressure on them. Then again it's possible they'll vote for it again without that condition? I think that's what Hungary and Poland are playing at.

As for the frugal four, back when the condition was announced there were some rumblings that it was particularly demanded by the Dutch IIRC, potentially as a way to sink the whole thing without coming out against it. I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to support it without that condition.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yeah basically what private speech said. I'm sorry that I have a tendency to be unclear. It's just that I believe in the dream of a united europe, as in truly united as I see it as a stepping stone to a more unified world where everyone treats each other as equal and takes care of each other(I know I'm probably delusional)

poo poo like this makes me anxious and then dumb word salad posts happen. I'm sorry again true.spoon.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
^
No worries I totally get you now :) Just didn't know about the background.

Private Speech posted:

As for the frugal four, back when the condition was announced there were some rumblings that it was particularly demanded by the Dutch IIRC, potentially as a way to sink the whole thing without coming out against it. I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to support it without that condition.
Oh I see. I didn't follow the talks too closely at the time but reading up on it now that interpretation seems correct. What a mess even by EU standards...

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 16, 2020

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The weird thing is that the Netherlands is absolutely not getting through this fine. Our number of cases is insane and yet our government is still obsessed with debt...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

An insane mind posted:

It's just that I believe in the dream of a united europe

Username/post combo.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

An insane mind posted:

The weird thing is that the Netherlands is absolutely not getting through this fine. Our number of cases is insane and yet our government is still obsessed with debt...

As long as number goes up the country can afford to kill a bunch of olds and possibly gently caress itself with increased long term healthcare cost years down the line.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

An insane mind posted:

Yeah basically what private speech said. I'm sorry that I have a tendency to be unclear. It's just that I believe in the dream of a united europe, as in truly united as I see it as a stepping stone to a more unified world where everyone treats each other as equal and takes care of each other(I know I'm probably delusional)

poo poo like this makes me anxious and then dumb word salad posts happen. I'm sorry again true.spoon.

Yeah I'm with you there. I see the European project as an evolving process towards a more united continent with an extremely long-term goal. Helping each other out is core to the EU. The fact that Poland and Hungary have illustrated problems with states acting as malicious actors with very different goals to the shared consensus of the majority of us should be taken as a learning exercise. I agree that a mechanism should be created to bypass these concerns in areas of emergency or immediate need, such as the plague.

To get out ahead of a problem before it happens, obviously when I say Poland and Hungary I'm referring to their governments rather than their people. However their presence as states with lingering authoritarian and hyper-"religious" issue does present a problem that we should learn from, rather than try to ignore.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
There's genuine concern about the descend into authoritarianism and erosion of democracy in some EU countries and certainly, it impacts other policy areas.

Bulgaria Set to Shut Down Balkan Neighbor’s Path to Joining EU

Bloomberg posted:

Bulgaria is poised to block the official start of European Union accession talks with North Macedonia, hindering the former Yugoslav country’s efforts to open the long-delayed negotiations by year-end.

Countries in the Western Balkan region, engulfed by bloody wars following the breakup of Yugoslavia, are all striving to join the world’s largest trading bloc to raise living standards. Albania and North Macedonia have waited more than a decade to start talks, with the latter even changing its name to resolve a dispute with Greece.

But that’s still not enough. At a meeting of EU affairs ministers in Brussels on Tuesday, Bulgaria is set to veto a negotiation framework for North Macedonia on the grounds that its neighbor is violating a 2017 bilateral treaty aimed at resolving historical disputes. While negotiations are continuing, Bulgaria’s deputy prime minister drove home the point that Sofia isn’t ready to yield.

Bulgaria “at this stage can’t afford to agree to the first intergovernmental conference to start the negotiations,” Krasimir Karakachanov told BNR public radio Monday. “Bulgaria supports Macedonia’s EU accession, but this should happen after Macedonia takes the necessary commitments.”

EU membership for western Balkan nations would strengthen the position of the West in the regional tug of war with Russia. But that path is riddled with obstacles tied to nationalist rivalries that helped fuel the wars of the 1990s -- Europe’s bloodiest conflicts since World War II.

Sofia wants guarantees that North Macedonia won’t claim the existence of its national minority within Bulgaria’s borders and that it has no territorial claims. It also wants EU accession documents to avoid the phrase “Macedonian language,” which it says derives from Bulgarian.

In addition, the two countries should agree upon disputed historical figures from the early 20th century.

The dispute may help Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov restore some of his credibility before next year’s general election. Since July, thousands of protesters rallied in the country’s big cities, urging him to resign over failure to fight corruption.

Borissov’s junior coalition partner, a loose alliance of nationalist parties called The United Patriots, has long insisted that North Macedonia officially admit historical roots with Bulgaria.

“I’m prepared and I prepared the Macedonian people for an eventual blockade,” North Macedonia’s prime minister, Zoran Zaev, told reporters on Sunday.

The standoff has already caused troubles in the EU. In October, Bulgaria blocked an agreement between North Macedonia and Frontex, the bloc’s border protection service, aimed at improving border security in a region that was the main land route for migrants in 2016.

EU aspirants are also struggling to advance an enlargement process that is facing skepticism among some EU states.

The U.K.’s departure and backsliding on the rule of law in members Hungary and Poland have made some countries reluctant to embrace more entrants. France insisted last year that the accession process to be reworked include democratic principles, delaying approval for Albania and North Macedonia to start accession talks until March.

“Nobody in the EU is really rushing it,” said Dimitar Bechev, a senior non-resident fellow at the Atlantic Council in Washington. “Now North Macedonia will lose precious time.

Also, the veto is ludicrous and becomes ever more unworkable the more members are admitted. The entire block is held hostage by various national quirks and insane regional politics originating in obscure history.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honj Steak posted:

What’s Janez Janša up to now? :allears:

https://necenzurirano.si/clanek/aktualno/janseva-vlada-v-tujino-posilja-podatke-o-manjsem-stevilu-smrti-825945

tl;dr: officially we're about to hit italy levels of fuckup, but JJ's govt is sending lower numbers to people abroad, primarily EU, lmfao

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Feel free to quote and own me when it all goes to poo poo and Hungary invades Italy or something equally stupid happens.

Feel free to be more specific and :toxx: yourself. :)

Owling Howl posted:

Also, the veto is ludicrous and becomes ever more unworkable the more members are admitted. The entire block is held hostage by various national quirks and insane regional politics originating in obscure history.

I'm finding it especially hard to digest that this petty nationalist dispute may help Bulgarian PM restore credibility, instead of ruining it.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

quote:

I'm finding it especially hard to digest that this petty nationalist dispute may help Bulgarian PM restore credibility, instead of ruining it.
Having lived in Bulgaria, I am puzzled too. It would, imo, play terribly with the liberal, pro-EU crowd and great with nationalists.

The latter werent a super big block 5 years ago, nowadays who knows.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Liberum Veto, but for all of Europe.

What could possibly go wrong?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Liberum Veto, but for all of Europe.

What could possibly go wrong?

But we're all enlightened centrists here who make Correct decisions instead of holding on to our petty and unprofitable grudges :downs:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
At this point current EU members minus Poland and Hungary should just unilaterally should en masse create new parallel institutions to those of EU and leave EU proper and then Poland and Hungary can scream at each other alone at the European Parliament.

And don't give members veto power again dumb fucks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Celexi posted:

At this point current EU members minus Poland and Hungary should just unilaterally should en masse create new parallel institutions to those of EU and leave EU proper and then Poland and Hungary can scream at each other alone at the European Parliament.

France vetoes this no-veto clause. :agesilaus:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Celexi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXIXD0OCg0

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Celexi posted:

the EU exists to empower markets at the expense of political institutions. it's designed to be as inflexible as possible. this is not limited to the veto thing, without which this level of integration would've been an impossible sell in several countries

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What genius made any sort of aid package subject to unanimous agreement
It does feel sort of bizarre.

It's like someone looked at the US Senate and thought, "this is good, but what if we made it even more dysfunctional and non-democratic".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm pretty sure that the thinking was literally that there wouldn't be a serious political crisis ever again, that liberal democracy was simply ascendant and history over for good, and that consensus in cases like this would be trivial to mobilise until the EU was centralised enough to do away with this sop to outdated tribalism

tbh it's not a completely absurd belief, it's very strange that it's so hard to find a baseline of agreement to something this obviously necessary

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

the EU exists to empower markets at the expense of political institutions. it's designed to be as inflexible as possible. this is not limited to the veto thing, without which this level of integration would've been an impossible sell in several countries

tbf countries that keep banging on about ARE SOVREIGNTY should just not be in the EU until they accept that being proudly poo poo only makes them poor and irrelevant.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Basically give the EU the powers that Brexiters imagine it has plus a parliament that actually does stuff, then it might be less dysfunctional

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I still don't get why you start a project like the EU then kneecap it right at the start and keep kneecapping it instead of making it viable. I get what V. Illych says, I do. But it just seems extremely shortsighted and naive to believe that liberalism was the endresult and fascism and the like was gone forever and no one would ever ever ever disagree again.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

I still don't get why you start a project like the EU then kneecap it right at the start and keep kneecapping it instead of making it viable. I get what V. Illych says, I do. But it just seems extremely shortsighted and naive to believe that liberalism was the endresult and fascism and the like was gone forever and no one would ever ever ever disagree again.

Is there anything that better describes liberalism than short sighted and naive? They really believed that End of History bollocks after the fall of the USSR. Tremendous hubris but that's the liberals for you, the incredible lack of foresight and understanding of human beings.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Because the point wasn't so much liberalism as what VIL said a couple posts above, to empower markets at the expense of all else. Liberalism itself isn't particularly crucial to neoliberalism, in fact neoliberals love it when a strong state or supernational authority crushes all left opposition and pushes the worst unpopular neoliberal reforms.

besides that, going past a certain level of wealth polarization and consolidation of actors the inherently authoritarian nature of the neoliberal state becomes apparent, as the object of state power increasingly becomes to enforce the status quo and work as a ratchet against the possibility of rollback reforms, as opposed to providing public goods for the collective or to rectify the numerous imbalances of society. The increasing securitization is necessary to protect the unjust equilibria it has built, and none of the policing capacity developed actually goes into keeping in check the monied interests, to whom it is increasingly subservient.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 17, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The EU grew out of the Coal and Steel Community, so what would you expect?

Overall this is still in pretty early stages of integration and you can't really force it when you've got a bunch of countries with their own ideas of how things should be. I'm afraid it's probably going to take some unfortunate compromises like those that at the foundation of the US to get it moving along.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

suck my woke dick posted:

Basically give the EU the powers that Brexiters imagine it has plus a parliament that actually does stuff, then it might be less dysfunctional

depending on the brexiteer, the EU genuinely does have a lot of those powers - especially the power to neuter old-school active politics which people used to try and improve their lives. people don't believe in social democrats anymore for very good reason - what the ideology promises these days is clearly ludicrous and impossible, or so watered down that there's no point in going for it

the EU's brilliance has been to ensnare everyone in this consumer role where we really do have a lot of poo poo to lose by empowering ourselves and others as workers (whatever that would even look like in a EU which systematically disenfranchises and alienates working classes in various ways) - and so there's no serious counterforce to encroaching financial capital

the EU was a huge mistake from start to finish

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh it's not a completely absurd belief, it's very strange that it's so hard to find a baseline of agreement to something this obviously necessary

lol no it's not

As soon as something is politically absolutely necessary it is also the perfect vehicle to attach all your other bullshit which you know has no chance of getting passed otherwise to. Because clearly your opponents wouldn't dare vote down something so absolutely necessary right?

This is like, super basic "power in practice in parliamentary democracy" type stuff. So liberals obviously got it wrong because they understand jack poo poo about power.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well liberals literally are in power.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Well liberals literally are in power.

yeah but they're bad at doing anything with it

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

yeah but they're bad at doing anything with it
Maybe they simply have different goals (maybe subconsciously ...)? Maybe the real lib goal includes to not exert too much (state) power? Wouldn’t that actually be a standard leftist critique?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

If the EU continues to compromise on principles just because some shithead countries like Poland and Hungary, who are only in it for the money anyway, don't want to stop hunting gays in the streets or whatever, then it's worthless.
All it says is that the EU has no common principles and all this talk is a sham.

And then next time anyone needs support, you can stop wondering why certain countries don't want to pay their share toward this useless piece of bureaucracy.

Instead, remake a smaller association of countries with a real democracy, an actual fiscal union and an actual constitution that includes all the valuable principles that EU countries apparently do not want to adhere to. The EU can stay a free trade zone or whatever it is supposed to be now.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ein Europa der zwei Geschwindigkeiten.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Haramstufe Rot posted:

If the EU continues to compromise on principles just because some shithead countries like Poland and Hungary, who are only in it for the money anyway, don't want to stop hunting gays in the streets or whatever, then it's worthless.
All it says is that the EU has no common principles and all this talk is a sham.

And then next time anyone needs support, you can stop wondering why certain countries don't want to pay their share toward this useless piece of bureaucracy.

Instead, remake a smaller association of countries with a real democracy, an actual fiscal union and an actual constitution that includes all the valuable principles that EU countries apparently do not want to adhere to. The EU can stay a free trade zone or whatever it is supposed to be now.

but being an antidemocratic mess is a huge part of the point!!!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Isn't this sort of what GERMANIA desires? Boot out the lazy, shifty-eyed southerners / easterns and have a strong fiscal union with France and some of the northern yes-men states? How this remains a project for peace and understanding is left as a home exercise, one presumes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Let's face it, if we do this now, instead of later or never, Poland and Hungary will sooner or later replace their lovely governments so the new one can come crawling back for all that sweet, sweet EU-money.

If we let them get away with everything, sooner or later the EU will collapse and they won't get any money from us anymore, anyway.

Right now is even best chance for some hard knocks, as the UK demonstrates what will happen to countries trying to go alone, without protection from the EU.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Maybe they simply have different goals (maybe subconsciously ...)? Maybe the real lib goal includes to not exert too much (state) power? Wouldn’t that actually be a standard leftist critique?

That'd just mean saying the whole point of liberalism is not to exercise state power effectively (corporate power is ok though). Which yeah leftists would agree with.

Cingulate posted:

This but unironically, and also countries in the slower track don't get a veto :v:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Europe in my (admittedly stupid and hopeful view) is only viable if we make life better for everyone. You can't cut off the south of Europe because they have it the hardest, you can't cut off the Eastern European countries because strongmen have muscled their way into power. You can't leave good people to their fates because bad people manage to abuse the system. But I honestly don't know how to fix the EU as it is now. Take away the veto? but that could probably be vetoe'd.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That'd just mean saying the whole point of liberalism is not to exercise state power effectively (corporate power is ok though). Which yeah leftists would agree with.
Yes. That is what I wrote.

This but unironically, and also countries in the slower track don't get a veto :v:
Who said I was being ironic :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

Europe in my (admittedly stupid and hopeful view) is only viable if we make life better for everyone. You can't cut off the south of Europe because they have it the hardest, you can't cut off the Eastern European countries because strongmen have muscled their way into power. You can't leave good people to their fates because bad people manage to abuse the system. But I honestly don't know how to fix the EU as it is now. Take away the veto? but that could probably be vetoe'd.

One way could be to help Macron make his dream of an European Army a reality. Then make that army strong enough and loyal only to the European institutions, and then we could just smash injust strongmen regimes like the US did in WW2. That would be a way, at least. :v: