Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I bought all the MwC DVDs back as individual DVD season sets a bunch of years ago. Supposedly now there's a new DVD box set of every single season in one set, and there's a lot of complaints that the masters are different for that set, and are way worse. I'm worried the Amazon sets might be from the shittier source.

Also my DVD rips have each episode at about 900MB each, and the Amazon ones are around 300.

Can't offer any incite about the masters as I don't know what was used, what the issues were etc (although might be worth doing a side by side comparison between one of your files and one of theirs), but a 900mb MPEG-2 compared to a 300mb H.264 isn't anything to worry about, there's a decade+ in efficiency gains. MPEG-2 is ancient and awful and if handled correctly the H.264 file will be properly deinterlaced from source, 1.00 square pixels etc. But yes, depends on exactly how that individually show was handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I guess I'll just encode them to MP4. I was really hoping to keep them "untouched" because now I don't feel comfortable tossing the DVDs. I guess I can keep them in the garage or something.

Should I be deinterlacing anything in Handbrake?

Depends on the source material. Basically you want to deinterlace for something that's meant to be displayed at 50fps (PAL regions) or 59.94fps (NTSC regions). Going to assume you're NTSC. The 50/60fps can only possibly be TV source material, but even then it's not always what they aim for (e.g. some shows are shot on film at 24fps and the DVDs are progressive scan and will actually render at 23.976fps). If the top of the Handbrake window that lists the source details says it's 23.98fps you can disable interlacing because it doesn't apply.

When you're deinterlacing you have a few choices:

- You can "unfold" the video to be 59.94fps
- You can apply a deinterlacing filter and get a 29.97fps output.

When deinterlacing you have a few options in terms of what happens with the image, including blending both fields together (usually gives a blurrier picture) or dropping one field entirely and only rendering the one (gives a sharper picture but you lose half the frames). There are also options like telling Handbrake to only attempt to deinterlace frames that look interlaced (if it detects comb patterns) but how accurate this is depends on source material, if you really dig you can fine-tune the detection.

I don't know if this extends to live action shows (they may have fixed this by the time it mattered), but some FOX animated DVDs, especially the ones released in the early 2000s, are extremely fucky and will switch on the fly between progressive and interlaced and are a real challenge to get a "perfect" output from.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Ok, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if my device is just not capable of doing what I want.

I'm trying to set up a Nvidia Shield TV (the tube one) as a Plex Media Server. I thought all of the Shields had that capability but the google store says the device isn't compatible with the PMS app?

I can't seem to get the Plex app that I can install to recognize the local MicroSD storage. I've used it to access my computer's Plex server though. Is there any way to use Plex on the Shield to play media that is stored on the MicroSD card that's in the device? I can't seem to figure that out - I can do it through Kodi but my wife is already used to the Plex interface.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Tyro posted:

Ok, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if my device is just not capable of doing what I want.

I'm trying to set up a Nvidia Shield TV (the tube one) as a Plex Media Server. I thought all of the Shields had that capability but the google store says the device isn't compatible with the PMS app?

I can't seem to get the Plex app that I can install to recognize the local MicroSD storage. I've used it to access my computer's Plex server though. Is there any way to use Plex on the Shield to play media that is stored on the MicroSD card that's in the device? I can't seem to figure that out - I can do it through Kodi but my wife is already used to the Plex interface.

The tube Shield is the one that can't run as a Plex Media Server. I believe the limitation is Nvidia's doing. For some reason they made the tube 32-bit only. 64-bit apps won't run, the Plex Media server being one of those.

The Plex app doesn't do local media either.. It requires a server to work.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Tube doesn't run server, just client. You need the Pro to run server.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well shoot, thanks. Wish I had known that before buying it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can't offer any incite about the masters as I don't know what was used, what the issues were etc (although might be worth doing a side by side comparison between one of your files and one of theirs), but a 900mb MPEG-2 compared to a 300mb H.264 isn't anything to worry about, there's a decade+ in efficiency gains. MPEG-2 is ancient and awful and if handled correctly the H.264 file will be properly deinterlaced from source, 1.00 square pixels etc. But yes, depends on exactly how that individually show was handled.

Thank you!

univbee posted:

Depends on the source material. Basically you want to deinterlace for something that's meant to be displayed at 50fps (PAL regions) or 59.94fps (NTSC regions). Going to assume you're NTSC. The 50/60fps can only possibly be TV source material, but even then it's not always what they aim for (e.g. some shows are shot on film at 24fps and the DVDs are progressive scan and will actually render at 23.976fps). If the top of the Handbrake window that lists the source details says it's 23.98fps you can disable interlacing because it doesn't apply.

When you're deinterlacing you have a few choices:

- You can "unfold" the video to be 59.94fps
- You can apply a deinterlacing filter and get a 29.97fps output.

When deinterlacing you have a few options in terms of what happens with the image, including blending both fields together (usually gives a blurrier picture) or dropping one field entirely and only rendering the one (gives a sharper picture but you lose half the frames). There are also options like telling Handbrake to only attempt to deinterlace frames that look interlaced (if it detects comb patterns) but how accurate this is depends on source material, if you really dig you can fine-tune the detection.

I don't know if this extends to live action shows (they may have fixed this by the time it mattered), but some FOX animated DVDs, especially the ones released in the early 2000s, are extremely fucky and will switch on the fly between progressive and interlaced and are a real challenge to get a "perfect" output from.

Thank you! And yeah I remember season 1 DVDs of Family Guy were insane. Like every time the scene was static you'd all of a sudden see like this "reverse interlacing" thing. As far as I know there's no way to get those to not look like rear end. It looked terrible even on the original DVDs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank you! And yeah I remember season 1 DVDs of Family Guy were insane. Like every time the scene was static you'd all of a sudden see like this "reverse interlacing" thing. As far as I know there's no way to get those to not look like rear end. It looked terrible even on the original DVDs.

You'd be surprised, actually! There's lots of software you can use these days to process these awful looking DVDs and do some incredible work on them. Proper deinterlacing and scaling, it's quite a detailed process but the end result is something that genuinely looks good on modern, large, HDTVs.

I can't find examples to show you of that particular one (there's a dude on another forum I follow who has done this to all of Family Guy, American Dad, Simpsons etc which has the benefit of having all uncut DVD episodes compared to the aired ones, so it's worth it even against ones that aired in HDTV as the quality drop isn't too much) but I did find this of someone who did a side by side with one piece of software to show the kind of difference you can get

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkusUcwE22Y

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Friend wants to download something off my server, I have plex pass and on my admin account I get a download option. She doesn't have it and gets no download option, although she does get sync (although it does nothing), I also don't get the download option on my secondary account.

Do you need plex pass on the downloadee account to get the option? It doesn't say that you do...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nettle Soup posted:

Friend wants to download something off my server, I have plex pass and on my admin account I get a download option. She doesn't have it and gets no download option, although she does get sync (although it does nothing), I also don't get the download option on my secondary account.

Do you need plex pass on the downloadee account to get the option? It doesn't say that you do...

Only the server owner can download files. What your friend can do is download the Plex desktop app and sync files locally to her PC. That's essentially the same as downloading.

[edit] more info https://support.plex.tv/articles/downloads-on-desktop/

You need the desktop app. You cannot sync/download from a Plex server using the web app unless you are logged into the server owner account.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 6, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thanks, I'll try that but she's bad at computers.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Watching Kitchen Nightmares from a Plex share on my paid account, and I'm suddenly seeing interstitial ads.
What the gently caress is this poo poo?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How suddenly? Also, your plex share or "a" plex share?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Possibly the Official Plex share?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
TheTVDB wants money for API access now.

They say they are trying to work something out with Plex.

Here is the email I got from them today.

quote:

Hello,

There are some big changes coming for TheTVDB that will affect both developers and our end users, most notably our brand new API (“v4”). With the launch of this new API fast approaching, we wanted to give an overview of all of these changes.

Two Models for API Access
There are now two ways to access TheTVDB API. Each company, platform, or project will have the ability to select their preferred method of access. This decision will ultimately be up to the developers of the projects themselves, so if you are an end user, you'll need to wait for the platform/software you use to announce any changes regarding your access.
Licensed

This is the way things work now. Companies and projects enter into a contract with us and are given an API key. License fees are based primarily on usage, company size, and how the data is used.

Example: Mobile apps & websites
User-Supported

This is new. Some companies can’t or don’t want to license API access directly, and have requested that we pass along any cost to end users. We have determined an approach that will keep this affordable and accessible for all, detailed below.

Example: Synology Video Station
A note for Plex users: TheTVDB is in ongoing active discussions with Plex. Please stay tuned for more information if you are an end user of Plex.
User Subscriptions
User subscriptions are global, and not tied to a specific API key. This means that if, as an end user, you use three projects that make use of TheTVDB API, your subscription will grant access for any of them that choose the user-supported model.

Important Notes

A subscription is required ONLY if the project/software you're using has indicated so — although we’d love for you to support the site anyway.
Subscribing will grant you a unique PIN, which will be entered into the software you use.
User subscriptions will be $11.99/year.
Subscriptions will also include an ad-free site experience, a warm fuzzy feeling in your heart, and future incentives that we’re planning.

While we believe this to be a reasonable subscription fee, we understand that some of you may prefer another approach. With that in mind, we’ll also allow users to earn a free annual subscription by contributing quality data to the site, like missing IDs, translations, and artwork. We’ll provide additional details concerning this model in the coming months.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Organic Lube User posted:

Watching Kitchen Nightmares from a Plex share on my paid account, and I'm suddenly seeing interstitial ads.
What the gently caress is this poo poo?

If you're watching from the free poo poo on Plex, then yes, you will get ads lmao. The free stuff is culled from various ad-supported platforms. Kitchen Nightmares, for example, comes from Crackle. Paying for a Plex sub doesn't give you ad-free viewing on the free content Plex automatically provides to every account, paid sub or not.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Moey posted:

TheTVDB wants money for API access now.

People and services deserve money for their hard work. But this is going to be a hard sell. In theory $1 a month for what they provide makes sense but nobody is going to be happy about this.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Thetvdb are also dicks.

I again scream into the void that the metabrainz people need to swap out the schema in musicbrainz to create screenbrainz, which would murder IMDB overnight.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If they're the reason my American Dad library is screwed up then they can go gently caress themselves.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, TVDB has a lot of loving issues for something "paid".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nocheez posted:

If they're the reason my American Dad library is screwed up then they can go gently caress themselves.

We should invoice them for time spent just fixing that one drat show.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Seems like there's a new update for Plex Media Server like every couple of weeks now, and it's also the only app that doesn't auto-update through Google Play. Naturally, this leads to me panicking that I'm going to have to reset my Nvidia Shield or worse, that my HDDs are on their way out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Seems like there's a new update for Plex Media Server like every couple of weeks now, and it's also the only app that doesn't auto-update through Google Play. Naturally, this leads to me panicking that I'm going to have to reset my Nvidia Shield or worse, that my HDDs are on their way out.

Does something break when you don't update it? I'm running whatever version I had at the beginning of the pandemic because it's stable and seems to just work. I assume the roku version is getting force updated though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

H110Hawk posted:

Does something break when you don't update it? I'm running whatever version I had at the beginning of the pandemic because it's stable and seems to just work. I assume the roku version is getting force updated though.

The past few times, my media just wouldn't show up at all. Even on the Shield, which the server is local to (I know, I know, long story).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Violator posted:

People and services deserve money for their hard work. But this is going to be a hard sell. In theory $1 a month for what they provide makes sense but nobody is going to be happy about this.

Yeah, I understand their hosting and management costs, but all their data is from nerds submitting it.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

teagone posted:

If you're watching from the free poo poo on Plex, then yes, you will get ads lmao. The free stuff is culled from various ad-supported platforms. Kitchen Nightmares, for example, comes from Crackle. Paying for a Plex sub doesn't give you ad-free viewing on the free content Plex automatically provides to every account, paid sub or not.

I thought it was from a Plex share (a library that I have been granted access to), but upon asking my wife she may have navigated to the show via the search function, which is probably causing it to play from the Plex service rather than the library we think we are playing it from.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mister Speaker posted:

Every couple of weeks? Get Plex Pass, it's literally almost every day right now. At least it's quick.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every couple of weeks? Get Plex Pass, it's literally almost every day right now. At least it's quick.

I was planning to get the ex lifetime, i was reading they tend to do black friday deals. Do they announce that on twitter, just the site?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, TVDB has a lot of loving issues for something "paid".

like continually loving up every 30 min kids TV show by making each half a separate "episode"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Qwijib0 posted:

like continually loving up every 30 min kids TV show by making each half a separate "episode"

loving Paw Patrol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Eh, I kind of get that as you’re going to have to make some hard decisions for your schema/methodology and that sort of thing will happen. Their candor has always been terrible though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Warbird posted:

Their candor has always been terrible though.

And that's why they can pound sand. For a while they were banning anyone who dared questioned their numbering scheme.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

TheScott2K posted:

loving Paw Patrol

I just do those as 01x01-02. It annoys me when I look at the list on Plex as it skips numbers but it works.

For the anime question a couple of pages ago:

I add them in as Anime. Tag them with something like the show name. Create a profile for my desired release group that requires the group's name and the tag for the show. Boom. I rarely have any issues. It's only when I dump in a full season do I have to massage it a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I realize it is "wrong" in the sense that a Docker container is always supposed to be some immutable thing without external dependencies, but I love the fact that their Plexpass Docker image auto-updates (quickly, at that) on container restart. The only thing better would be if there was a way to tell it to update as soon as nobody's streaming anything.

Qwijib0 posted:

TheScott2K posted:

loving Paw Patrol

Yep. At least Plex/Sonarr are both better at handling those now, but it should not be seen as a good sign when the most popular software packages that use your database are making workarounds to your lovely scheme.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

loving Paw Patrol

Yeah, everytime a "two half episodes" gets released I split it with MKVToolNix so Plex has the correct episodes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
My beef is mainly with PBS kids shows like elinor wonders why and daniel tiger-- shows with two stories and a bridge segment, that are designed to live together, and are never aired separately. I just turned off tvdb for them and hand curate those at this point.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Anyone know if there's a way to adjust video/audio playback sync in Plex? Few things are greater mood-killers than firing up a movie I know isn't on streaming services and hearing the audio noticeably out of sync.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust video/audio playback sync in Plex? Few things are greater mood-killers than firing up a movie I know isn't on streaming services and hearing the audio noticeably out of sync.

I don’t know your player, but if it’s a roku this seems to be common when video is trandcoded and audio is not.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/audio-out-of-sync/231869

The fix seems to be selecting any quality other than original, or rewinding a half second and quickly hitting play.

For manual audio offset, that’ll depend on your player. Here are the details for the web/windows player, but it’s likely different or impossible on other players.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/208052807-controlling-the-app/

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Really thetvdb should replaced with something torrent based, 99% of Plex users are already using torrents, don’t even have a web accessible version the bandwidth would be free, nerds will happily janitor the meta data for free. Also there should be multiple official listings per show, for aired order vs DVD vs intended order etc.

Actually it should just be on GitHub and so Microsoft pays for it.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Nvm