Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So I didn't realize it was a ~thing~ when I got the notification a few days ago but cellular Spotify streaming is randomly rolling out to people, including myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Three Olives posted:

So I didn't realize it was a ~thing~ when I got the notification a few days ago but cellular Spotify streaming is randomly rolling out to people, including myself.

Yeah i tried it out yesterday. Works ok. It reacted real weird when i got a call and let it go to voicemail, the music wouldn’t go to my earbuds even though it showed as playing.

Outside of that it worked well enough

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pandora fuckin blows because if the connection drops for a millisecond, BOOM, music stops, rather than retrying or caching a couple songs at once. But it does make sure to cache the ads, so you get 45 seconds of ads, then no music until you switch to the music app and deal with the "sorry lost signal!' dialog box.

Apple Music is pretty much seemless when running in an area with so-so coverage. Too bad their radio plays the same poo poo over and over.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I wanted to mention that un-pairing and re-pairing my S3 not only allowed me to install 7.0.3 but the watch feels tremendously faster!

I tried it with my S5 to try to resolve battery life and... it's ... OK. 7PM, had it on since 9AM with a 30min walk workout and it is sitting at 56%... :\

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

C'mon Spotify, just let us download specific playlists to our watches.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
IOS 14.2 just landed.

“Fixed: Workout GPS routes or Health data are prevented from syncing between Apple Watch and iPhone for some users”

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
My map data is fixed now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gay Retard posted:

C'mon Spotify, just let us download specific playlists to our watches.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Target has the Apple Watch SE starting at $229 right now, their Black Friday price.
Target Card holders get an additional 5% off.
https://www.target.com/p/apple-watch-se-gps--40mm-silver-aluminum-case-with-white-sport-band/-/A-80606310

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hadji murad posted:

My map data is fixed now.

Mine is tracking again but my old workouts aren't showing maps :argh:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Does anyone know if all Watch app/Health settings transfer over to a new iPhone if setting it up as a transfer from the current iPhone?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

enojy posted:

Does anyone know if all Watch app/Health settings transfer over to a new iPhone if setting it up as a transfer from the current iPhone?

Mine went fine. I did the setup and it asked if I wanted to move the watch over. I didn't lose any data at all and all my settings were preserved, however some are having issues with exercise map data getting blown away.

Oh wait, I did have to put breathe on time-out again since it turned the reminders back on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New update also fixed unlocking Macs, which is good

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New update also fixed unlocking Macs, which is good

what was the issue?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

what was the issue?

Issue with the keychain poo poo. Prevented an apple watch from being used to unlock a Mac. There was a work around that was flaky at best

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Issue with the keychain poo poo. Prevented an apple watch from being used to unlock a Mac. There was a work around that was flaky at best

Huh, I've been using the watch all this time and never noticed an issue.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Proteus Jones posted:

Huh, I've been using the watch all this time and never noticed an issue.

this is the story of the Apple Watch recently.

Some people experience a critical insane bug that totally fucks their use case, some people have no issues at all.

Its really weird being gaslit by a watch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You could have called in and asked the rep to lookup the issue but it's a long shot if they know where to find the workaround

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casual Encountess posted:

what was the issue?

I got a new Watch SE last week and it wouldn't allow me to turn on unlock with Watch on my MBP or iMac, latest update fixed it which is great!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
That’s great news. I had given up on trying to get that function back.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Friendly reminder that if you are in the US, there is a Veteran’s Day Award if you do an 11 minute workout today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I found a fun quirk of the apple watch sleeping last night. I've been using the new sleep tracker and been fine since the feature launched, last night I jolted awake with my jawline on fire. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the gently caress happened.. turns out, if you're sporting a 5 o'clock shadow and slide the seam between the glass and the watch case against the grain, the hairs get snagged on the metal edge and it tugs on each strand and it hurts like hell.

I guess while sleeping I shifted just right and man that was a bad way to wake up.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Epilator is a feature!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Looks like all the watch models are 50bux off at Target again today. Snagged an SE for the wife.

https://www.target.com/c/target-black-friday/apple/-/N-5q0f2Z5y3ej

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
jfc why do I need 2.6 GB free on my S3 to install a 366 MB watchOS 7.1 update? I’ve deleted everything I can and it’s still only at 2.2. I guess the non-cellular S3 is just at the point where you have to unpair and re-pair any time you want to install any OS update. :sigh:

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

fourwood posted:

jfc why do I need 2.6 GB free on my S3 to install a 366 MB watchOS 7.1 update? I’ve deleted everything I can and it’s still only at 2.2. I guess the non-cellular S3 is just at the point where you have to unpair and re-pair any time you want to install any OS update. :sigh:

Mine will usually clear a significant amount of space by rebooting. I can usually update after that. I had to do the pair dance with my wife’s to get hers to update though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart if also supposed to have the Series 3 for $120 on Black Friday.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I feel like the 8GB of storage on the S3 really fucks it over compared to the SE or anything newer than the S3 really. I don't use my watch for anything but notifications and telling time, and I still had to do the pair/unpair dance to update my S3 to the latest watchOS. The S4 has 16GB and everything newer has 32GB so if the updates are gonna be any bigger in the future, I feel like it's gonna be a bigger problem.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Protocol7 posted:

I feel like the 8GB of storage on the S3 really fucks it over compared to the SE or anything newer than the S3 really. I don't use my watch for anything but notifications and telling time, and I still had to do the pair/unpair dance to update my S3 to the latest watchOS. The S4 has 16GB and everything newer has 32GB so if the updates are gonna be any bigger in the future, I feel like it's gonna be a bigger problem.
Yeah, it sucks. A hard reboot fixed it this time, but for whatever reason 6->7 and even upgrading to 7.0.3 needed a re-pair. I decided I didn’t really care to spend the money to upgrade this cycle, but I’m really starting to think about pulling the trigger. Maybe I’ll wait til the new gen starts popping up on the refurb store.

e: on top of having to wipe and re-sync whatever media I have on it... it’s getting pretty frustrating

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Unlocking my mac with my watch no longer works after upgrading to Big Sur. I'm going to have to re-pair this thing yet again aren't I.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Have you turned that off on your Mac, rebooted and then enabled it again? That is what usually fixes it for me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I tried restarting everything already, but a couple more watch restarts sorted it out. What a relief, I really could not be bothered re-pairing after needing to do that for the last couple watchOS updates.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I had an S2 and it literally couldn't update any more because of how big the update files were. On an SE now and I feel that'll last me a good few years.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

FCKGW posted:

Walmart if also supposed to have the Series 3 for $120 on Black Friday.

I think it's the Watch SE that's going down to $120 at Walmart, which is bananas. Anybody who hasn't screwed up by getting a stainless steel watch and thus doesn't mind aluminum should jump on this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did the handwashing detection get worse lately? It was always pretty jank but now it only seems to kick in 3/4 of the way in and then scolds me for not doing an additional 20 seconds. If it registers at all that is.

It used to be pretty good back when it did the thumbs up at the end. Now it says some words and it sucks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

enojy posted:

I think it's the Watch SE that's going down to $120 at Walmart, which is bananas. Anybody who hasn't screwed up by getting a stainless steel watch and thus doesn't mind aluminum should jump on this.

Nah, it's the Series 3, it's in their Black Friday ad which just came out

Apple Watch SE is down to $230 everywhere though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Did the handwashing detection get worse lately? It was always pretty jank but now it only seems to kick in 3/4 of the way in and then scolds me for not doing an additional 20 seconds. If it registers at all that is.

It used to be pretty good back when it did the thumbs up at the end. Now it says some words and it sucks.

Possibly? It is pretty annoying when it gives you this rant about washing your hands for 20 seconds when it hasn’t detected properly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Red_Fred posted:

Possibly? It is pretty annoying when it gives you this rant about washing your hands for 20 seconds when it hasn’t detected properly.

Yeah! It’s strange I just noticed how it sucks now after about the 3rd time of it doing that. It just doesn’t detect for poo poo anymore. Haven’t changed my strap or anything.

Pretty minor annoyance, granted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

When I first got my SE it worked perfectly, the most recent update seems to have made it a total crapshoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

priznat posted:

Yeah either kicks in too late or takes way longer. Before the recent update it was perfect.