Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I met Tom Vassel and the other DT dudes at the dice tower con at Vegas last year and they were all cool and friendly. Tom walked around the con, said hi to people, and played games. I dont expect anything more beyond that. Thats what makes games awesome, its a good time for everyone to get involved with.

That being said he dressed absolutely atrociously in those hideous playskol color hats and ties he wears in his videos the entire con.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I find the polarity in opinions for Bruges very interesting. Thanks for chiming in!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

18MEX is really, really good. Every company appears viable from turn 1, the train rush gets insane mid-way through, and the bank is the perfect size. Our second game had someone making ~$740 a run for three ORs.

We played one in person and another game with a different group the next day via 18xx.games and that website is fantastic. Cannot recommend the game and the site enough.

:yeah: It's so good! The "you can only buy one 2T/3T each OR" rule makes it sound slow but I've had games where you can easily go from the fifth 3T to 4Ds in an OR :stare:

Fantastic design all the way through, and yeah 18xx.games rules.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 17, 2020

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I've had bruges for a while and it doesn't really get play - it's just in that 'it's ... okay?' bucket for us. The only thing i remember is the standard Sensible Chuckle when someone's canal burns down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

xiw posted:

I've had bruges for a while and it doesn't really get play - it's just in that 'it's ... okay?' bucket for us. The only thing i remember is the standard Sensible Chuckle when someone's canal burns down.

How do you burn down a canal?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

How do you burn down a canal?

Look up Cuyahoga River :clint:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bellmaker posted:

:yeah: It's so good! The "you can only buy one 2T/3T each OR" rule makes it sound slow but I've had games where you can easily go from the fifth 3T to 4Ds in an OR :stare:

Fantastic design all the way through, and yeah 18xx.games rules.

Yeah, when you see that you can only buy 1 train a turn for a bit you think oh man, this is going to take forever. And then you see that even a single 2 or 3 train can make a lot of money. And then all of a sudden that restriction is gone. And then all of a sudden you understand why delayed 4 train obsolescence is a thing because you might not even get a single OR with it depending on how things are going. Can't imagine playing with insta-rust for 4s on unless you are planning way ahead/like to see someone get absolutely murdered.

I like that you want to hit towns in MEX too. The mail contracts are free money and takes some of edge off of needing to withhold.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Looking for a short-ish game to play socially and casually as a family. Maskmen was a huge hit last year, and now I'm being asked to come up with another similarly great game. In the past I've also introduced Dominion and Space Base, which were both also well received.

I'm not who my family thinks I am, please help me thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Looking for a short-ish game to play socially and casually as a family. Maskmen was a huge hit last year, and now I'm being asked to come up with another similarly great game. In the past I've also introduced Dominion and Space Base, which were both also well received.

Try Coup, thats fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

High Society

https://www.amazon.com/High-Society-Reiner-Knizia/dp/1472827775/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=high+society+game&qid=1605632750&sr=8-1

Skull

https://www.amazon.com/Asmodee-SKR01-Skull/dp/B00GYDLY8E

The Resistance

https://www.amazon.com/The-Resistance-Dystopian-Universe/dp/B008A2BA8G/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+resistance&qid=1605632809&sr=8-1

All three are highly social games but with a lot of mechanical depth and not just full on party game, similar to Maskmen.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 17, 2020

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tiny Towns

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/265736/tiny-towns

plays up to 6

super easy to teach, lots of fun, just competitive enough

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Seconding Skull.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This might be too party but Medium is a big hit with my non-gamer family. Also has some success a couple weekends ago with Mysterium Park, which is just an abbreviated version of Mysterium.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Beware social deduction games if you have family members who can't bluff/lie. Some people just can't and such games can be really unfun for them.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Dexterity games are nice for this. Loony Quest, Menara, Junk Art, Pinnacle, and Pitchcar all generally receive a lot of praise.
Also depending on expected player count, Via Nebula, Monikers, and Wavelnegth could also be decent options.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Mysterium Park, which is just an abbreviated version of Mysterium.

I would be interested in hearing more about this. I liked the idea of Mysterium, but the rules felt weirdly fiddly to me considering the weight of the game. Would also be interested to hear player count as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Another vote for Wavelength, with a note that I prefer the co op variation with smaller groups

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

More card games: 6 Nimmt!, Biblios, Parade, Stick 'em, Condottiere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

nordichammer posted:

I would be interested in hearing more about this. I liked the idea of Mysterium, but the rules felt weirdly fiddly to me considering the weight of the game. Would also be interested to hear player count as well.

It plays 2 to 6. The rules are pretty simple. It's played in three stages, first narrows down the suspects, the second narrows down the location and the third determines who did it and where. The rules are MUCH simpler than the regular version. Rodney did a Watch It Played. 4 is probably the ideal number of players IMO. I played with 6 and it's not bad at 6 but it can get frustrating if one person just doesn't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CRrhFUN-zk

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Not a board game but the Jackbox games are great for this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I got another nastygram on BGG after talking about how fascism and racism were my least favorite part of the hobby. The main reason I am even engaging with the community on BGG is because I want to be a part of making it less poo poo, after their pro-BLM comments and by seeing just how poo poo people can be on there thanks to Mayveena's threads. (Also, I guess I didn't know if we would have to parachute there if Lowtax went all Jonestown.) I brought it to the attention of the Community Manager, and he was contrite. (Side note: there is no Geekmail blocking feature.) The important part was that he asked "What are your thoughts on how we could better protect our community from this form of harassment?"

It seems like the problem might be taken seriously, but I have no loving idea what to say to make a positive impact. All I can think of is "Report Messages and Block User functionality for Geekmail." and copying stuff from SA like "Make bans visible for purposes of public pillorying" or "replace their microbadges with things that say things like 'i'm a racist' or something.

Do any of you have suggestions? What would you want out of BGG, if you thought you could get it? Is it even possible to have meaningful moderation when so much is crypto nowadays anyway? I will try and forward comments along.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Tiny Towns

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/265736/tiny-towns

plays up to 6

super easy to teach, lots of fun, just competitive enough

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of this because the games where everyone does roughly the same thing aren't that satisfying. I wish there was a stronger incentive for everyone to try out different building types but if you have 6 players and 5 are all working on a simple farm-based strategy going into the harder to use buildings feels like it hurts you.

Maybe it gets better when you are all experts but the first 3-4 games haven't had the 'aha i know what i'm doing but i can see why i'd use these more complex tools next time' that I wanted.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Illusion is a cool little game that combines bluff/liar's dice with the unused board game skill of estimating the percentage of colour in an image

L. A. M. A. or L. L. A. M. A. is easy and good. Just remember the goal is to have the fewest points NOT to get rid of your cards.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Do any of you have suggestions? What would you want out of BGG, if you thought you could get it? Is it even possible to have meaningful moderation when so much is crypto nowadays anyway? I will try and forward comments along.

Ban Op, Gas Thread?

The BGG forums are a loving train wreck in every way. And not just the users but the UX also, it's like they saw a good forum and decided on the opposite of all that stuff. The only part worth salvaging are the individual game forums because sometimes the designers answer rules questions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’d love to see a counter beneath a user’s av and icons saying how many times their comment was removed due to -isms. It only ever goes up. Trying to implement that without also raising the counter for just replying to the post would be tricky, though mod judgment between support or criticism would suffice if we trust the mods are cool and good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aramoro posted:

Ban Op, Gas Thread?

The BGG forums are a loving train wreck in every way. And not just the users but the UX also, it's like they saw a good forum and decided on the opposite of all that stuff. The only part worth salvaging are the individual game forums because sometimes the designers answer rules questions.

What else is there but the individual game forums that matter? I'm sure that's where 99% of their forum traffic goes to, especially now that the R&P forum got shut down.

And there is more active moderation on BGG on its forums as my frequently posted thread regarding representation shows. So exactly what is the problem?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RSP is now a guild if you want to discuss that stuff. It's exactly the same as before except with no oversight.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

RSP is now a guild if you want to discuss that stuff. It's exactly the same as before except with no oversight.

If it's not a forum it's a lot harder to find. Which is a massive improvement in my opinion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is it the cesspool I imagine it is? I feel like the only people that would seek that out are the worst types and if they have a safe haven to post their bullshit it should be nuked.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Is it the cesspool I imagine it is? I feel like the only people that would seek that out are the worst types and if they have a safe haven to post their bullshit it should be nuked.

It was bad, especially for those of us used to SA. You’ll never find me in that guild!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I see only Rachel Simmons' posts in that guild and yeah it's still bad, but they do have some moderation now so it's mildly better than it used to be afaict.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just say something to the effect of, "When I asked others for suggestions, everyone's response was related to a perception of how toxic the community is."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
BGG's new efforts at moderation opened my eyes that "dismissive" absolutely should be a thing to be actively moderated away. Dismissive comments contribute zero worth and should absolutely be considered harmful to a community.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

BGG's new efforts at moderation opened my eyes that "dismissive" absolutely should be a thing to be actively moderated away. Dismissive comments contribute zero worth and should absolutely be considered harmful to a community.

Whatever

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes hello 911 I've been harmed

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Pandemic Legacy Season 0
- Pandemic Legacy Season 2
- Pandemic: On The Brink expansion
- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

If that changes any recommendations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

All the games you have purchased are cooperative games. Do you need the suggestions to likewise be cooperative games?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

- Gloomhaven

Spirit islaaaaaannddddddd

Also for non cooperatives I think abstracts are pretty good for replayability. Tzaar, Hive, Tash Kalaar etc. Otherwise I think most well regarded games that arent party games or specifically focused around political play (Pax Pamir, Root/COIN) work well at 2, all the old standbys like agricola, feast for odin, the list is pretty long.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 18, 2020

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

homullus posted:

All the games you have purchased are cooperative games. Do you need the suggestions to likewise be cooperative games?

No, I just went off and bought the legacy editions of Pandemic because they’re on every list, and Gloomhaven seems to be on most peoples lists of best games. Just by chance it’s coop :)

Edit (didn’t want to make a separate post):

threelemmings posted:

Spirit islaaaaaannddddddd

Also for non cooperatives I think abstracts are pretty good for replayability. Tzaar, Hive, Tash Kalaar etc. Otherwise I think most well regarded games that arent party games or specifically focused around political play (Pax Pamir, Root/COIN) work well at 2, all the old standbys like agricola, feast for odin, the list is pretty long.

Added Spirit IsLand to the wish list, but it’s sold out in the Montreal shop I order from. But I’ll keep an eye on it.

virinvictus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pandemic on the Brink is not compatible with the Legacy versions FYI