Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ruddiger posted:

Lily C.A.T. borrows heavily from the first Alien, but I can’t think of any anime that aped Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QgGsnN-8g

Wow, this is like a mashup of Alien, Aliens, The Thing, and Prometheus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

david_a posted:

So uh I was browsing around a Star Trek site and I found out that The Motion Picture had Arcturians in it

I can see now why the gender doesn’t matter

That's clearly a Ballchinian.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterCat posted:

Lily-C.A.T. has a ton of minor issues, but it’s 100% canon.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

The Aliens cartoon is a myth

https://youtu.be/4DZAn7XB4NM

I have these new toys (because of course I do) and the human figures are trash but the Aliens are actually pretty nice for what they are, especially the Runner. They’re more solid and poseable than they look at first glance, and the sculpts are actually pretty good for kids’ toys.

The APC is pretty neat and can seat a couple dudes, and the loader and motorcycle are pretty cool. Like, there’s a ton of little details where it’s clear that the designers watched the movies and then made conscious design decisions to change stuff to make it more “kiddy”, like the numbering on the vehicles, the WY dude looking like the commandos from Alien3, the little guns being like pulse rifles and smart guns but not quite, you can tell that someone had a good time messing with “film accuracy”.

If you wanted to get kids interested in Aliens at a young age, you could do way, way worse. I think they’re hilarious - they’re not ironically retro toys aimed at adults, they’re genuine Aliens children’s toys aimed at 7-10 year olds at a price point a kid could afford with their allowance, in TYOOL 2020.

I got drawn into the Alien franchise by the toys when I was 9, if these new toys somehow get a new generation of fans interested in the movies then I’m all for it.

I’m just glad kids might have an opportunity to find Aliens toys like I did with the Kenner ones in the 90s, even if they aren’t as flamboyant as a snake alien and robot arm Apone. I’ve seen these in Walmart and I might get one to custom paint some of the Alien figures. I still have my airbrush and modeling paints in storage.

But the Marines figures do look like molds of GI Joe/Generic Army knock offs from the 80s/90s.

Alien Theory has a video on them and you could have some fun with these for a custom modeler

https://youtu.be/zCkNoQqFvp8

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 25, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just got back from seeing Aliens on the big screen for the first time ever. It just absolutely rules, not much more to say. It's still a technical marvel, but one shot I just can't understand how they did is when Bishop's top half slides across the floor. How on earth did they manage that?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

well why not posted:

Just got back from seeing Aliens on the big screen for the first time ever. It just absolutely rules, not much more to say. It's still a technical marvel, but one shot I just can't understand how they did is when Bishop's top half slides across the floor. How on earth did they manage that?

Looks to me like the first part is a dummy, then a quick cut where only Lance’s top half is in frame and he’s being dragged. The head is on the far side of the first shot and given everything is moving you can’t really tell.

(1:06 since the time codes never seem to work on mobile)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loXoL7yEw4Q

Edit: I found a behind the scenes article on when he gets ripped in half which might be somewhat illuminating.

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 15, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PeterCat posted:

It's truly shameless at times and overlong, but I dig it.

The creature designs in it were done by Yoshitaka Amano, and while some of them are a bit too shamelessly from The Thing, he reused some in Final Fantasy V that are straight from Lily C.A.T.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 15, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Are there any good movies similar to Alien/Aliens, which might be lesser-known? I've watched a number of underwater-Alien movies: Deepstar Six, Leviathan, and Lords of the Deep (which amusingly were all released in 1989, apparently to cash in on hype for The Abyss). Basically, I'd like to watch some more, even if they're essentially store-brand Aliens.

Alternately, are there any other good "80's-future" movies, like Aliens?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Outland, Blade Runner, Underwater, Silent Running, those immediately come to mind.

Also if you like the Alien aesthetic, the video game Alien Isolation leans in on it really, really hard. The game's concept art book is also totally fantastic.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DorianGravy posted:

Are there any good movies similar to Alien/Aliens, which might be lesser-known? I've watched a number of underwater-Alien movies: Deepstar Six, Leviathan, and Lords of the Deep (which amusingly were all released in 1989, apparently to cash in on hype for The Abyss). Basically, I'd like to watch some more, even if they're essentially store-brand Aliens.

Outland is a space-western starring Sean Connery; haven’t seen it but it’s supposed to be decent

There’s a ton of Alien rip-offs, but quality is not necessarily their strength. Some of them are more creative than others. Creature, Saturn 3, Galaxy of Terror, various Italian schlock...

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Outland is High Noon in space, but it could be in the Alien extended universe. It's also great for pairing Sean Connery with a woman his own age for once.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Outland, Blade Runner, Underwater, Silent Running, those immediately come to mind.

Also if you like the Alien aesthetic, the video game Alien Isolation leans in on it really, really hard. The game's concept art book is also totally fantastic.

Thanks! I've seen Blade Runner and Underwater, and really enjoyed both. Outland looks cool, and I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before. Silent Running looks neat too, but a little too depressing, perhaps. Silent Running is a little older, having come out in 1972, and I don't usually enjoy outer-space movies from the early 70s or older as much. They feel a little, I don't know, cold or sterile or something.

I've heard good things about Alien Isolation, but I don't do well with scary video games. Maybe I'll watch a Let's Play or something.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

Outland is High Noon in space, but it could be in the Alien extended universe. It's also great for pairing Sean Connery with a woman his own age for once.

Outland gets a subtle shout-out in the Alien RPG core book, it’s pretty neat.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Don't sleep on Peter Boyle in Outland either

Pitch Black is a decent Aliens ripoff as well, YMMV on the Riddick sequels

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

DorianGravy posted:

Lords of the Deep. Lol. MST3K (the newest incarnation) did that one.

I will never get over how groundbreaking Star Wars and Alien(s) was. Contemporary movies look like hot garbage were as Alien holds up amazingly.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ScottyJSno posted:

I will never get over how groundbreaking Star Wars and Alien(s) was. Contemporary movies look like hot garbage were as Alien holds up amazingly.

I'm not sure how Starcrash compares to Star Wars in regards to budget, but it looks so terrible and primitive by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

ScottyJSno posted:

That's where I first saw it, and I actually thought it was charming enough to watch the non-MST3K version. Leviathan and Deepstar Six were much better made, of course, but they didn't do much other than "Alien but underwater". Lords of the Deep at least brought a slightly different angle to it. Maybe I should watch some more Roger Corman movies.

But first up will be Outland!

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Is Dark Star any good? I remember watching the trailer and the first 15 mins years ago and have been meaning to get back to it...

Edit: or am I thinking of
Galaxy of Terror?

Edit 2: or Forbidden World?

Turns out I need to watch more Roger Corman movies.

How are all?

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 16, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ScottyJSno posted:

Is Dark Star any good? I remember watching the trailer and the first 15 mins years ago and have been meaning to get back to it...

It's quite good but its pacing isn't exactly modern.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dark Star is good, but it's basically a comedy so be prepared for that.

Galaxy of Terror is ok, some people love it, I've never been a huge fan myself. The main draw is the cast, basically everyone is a "oh poo poo, they're in this??" moment.

Forbidden World is my personal favorite of the three you mentioned. It's the most schlocky but the most fun.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
There's Virus, I guess. It's not very good, but... I dunno, it's another movie in that vein and was made on a decent budget. Watch it if you want. Don't if you don't.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gargamel Gibson posted:

There's Virus, I guess. It's not very good, but... I dunno, it's another movie in that vein and was made on a decent budget. Watch it if you want. Don't if you don't.
I like Virus quite a bit, the practical effects are great.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Virus is basically a remake of Moon Trap, which starred Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig.

Bruce Campbell has a fist fight with a vending machine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PeterCat posted:

Virus is basically a remake of Moon Trap, which starred Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig.

Bruce Campbell has a fist fight with a vending machine.

Was it based on the life of Derek Smart?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Carnosaur 2 is also basically Aliens.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

brocked posted:

Don't sleep on Peter Boyle in Outland either

Pitch Black is a decent Aliens ripoff as well, YMMV on the Riddick sequels

The Riddick sequels are the best Robert E Howard adaptation we're likely to get

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I distinctly remember watching Pandorum but I don't remember a single second of it so I can't recommend it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

brocked posted:

I distinctly remember watching Pandorum but I don't remember a single second of it so I can't recommend it

I liked Pandorum, although it feels like more of a Dead Space movie than anything else.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DorianGravy posted:

You might dig Forbidden World. It's got some cool gore effects, some of the costumes (especially the suits they were outside and some of the female lead's outfits) have this hokier 70s sort of look to them, but it makes it unique because it's like a 60s pulpy sci-fi movie and an 70s/80s lived in sets Alien sort of movie at the same time. Baller soundtrack too.

It's kind of junky and trashy in some ways but looks cool and doesn't overstay its welcome and the story is sort of like Burke's spiel in Aliens since the lab is genuinely there to research ways to more efficiently grow food and stuff.

Part of why it sometimes looks really looks is because a lot of the sets were reused from James Cameron's ones from Galaxy of Terror.

Anyway if you want to see it, there's two cuts of it, the director's intention, Mutant and the tighter, less humorous Forbidden World. I sort of prefer Mutant because it does have an almost ahead of its time sense of humor to it without every quite going into full spoof territory. But either is cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 17, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Saturn 3 is another in the era's "let's do Alien but without an alien" genre (this time, the monster is a robot). It's... odd. Probably best known for overdubbing Harvey Keitel with someone else's voice, being written by Martin Amis of all people, the director dying during shooting, and the publicity going all-in with Farrah Fawcett in a 'sexy space costume' that IIRC doesn't actually appear in the movie. Some neat sets, though.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 17, 2020

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Payndz posted:

Saturn 3 is another in the era's "let's do Alien but without an alien" genre (this time, the monster is a robot). It's... odd. Probably best known for overdubbing Harvey Keitel with someone else's voice, being written by Martin Amis of all people, the director dying during shooting, and the publicity going all-in with Farrah Fawcett in a 'sexy space costume' that IIRC doesn't actually appear in the movie. Some neat sets, though.

Doesn't the robot try to get it on with Farrah? It's been over 30 years since I saw it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

brocked posted:

I only saw it once a while ago and my memory is hazy, but I remember thinking it started really well and very creepy, but then seemed to devolve into "kung fu fights with enemies". It did have some great ideas though, but didn't quite stick the landing.

I guess Starship Troopers might scratch that Aliens itch a little, but it's a campy comedy. Basically Aliens in the future of the Robocop universe

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dog_Meat posted:

I only saw it once a while ago and my memory is hazy, but I remember thinking it started really well and very creepy, but then seemed to devolve into "kung fu fights with enemies". It did have some great ideas though, but didn't quite stick the landing.

I guess Starship Troopers might scratch that Aliens itch a little, but it's a campy comedy. Basically Aliens in the future of the Robocop universe
I've been on a big Starship Troopers kick lately, I love the Warrior Bug design. I just got this bad boy, he's fun to fiddle with.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The trick is that we’re talking about multiple different things here.

If you’re talking about movies that share the aesthetic of Alien, then that’s easy: Underwater and Moon 44.

Roland Emmerich’s early film Moon 44 is a flawless replica of Aliens. Production design, cinematography, costuming, and so-on, are all identical. However, it’s also a movie about college stereotypes training to fight space pirates - so corny (and often tasteless) that it comes across as a sports movie. There aren’t any aliens in it.

On the other hand, films with the same subject matter as Alien (i.e. people in an isolated place getting attacked by a monster), appear across film history. Alien was largely a rip-off of The Thing From Another World, and so the 2011 remake of that film is one of the better “Alien ripoffs” in recent memory - despite technically getting there first. There are so many that there’s a likelihood of going too ‘broad’ and including any movie with a space monster. Like, Last Days On Mars hits all the plot points of an ‘Alien movie’ but otherwise bears little similarity at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trick is that we’re talking about multiple different things here.

If you’re talking about movies that share the aesthetic of Alien, then that’s easy: Underwater and Moon 44.

Roland Emmerich’s early film Moon 44 is a flawless replica of Aliens. Production design, cinematography, costuming, and so-on, are all identical. However, it’s also a movie about college stereotypes training to fight space pirates - so corny (and often tasteless) that it comes across as a sports movie. There aren’t any aliens in it.

I haven't ever heard of this but thanks for the tip, gonna check this out. Also, I think Event Horizon's pretty close to Alien with the gritty, overly detailed spaceship design though not as good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Just to be clear: Moon 44 is not a good movie.

It has just about all the elements of a good movie - a crackerjack premise, a good cast, decent pulpy writing, looking exactly like Aliens, etc. - but it’s fatally flawed because there simply isn’t an antagonist.

Like, the premise of the film is that we’re in the Alien universe, and this particular evil corporation is using prison slave labour to defend its automated mining facilities from space pirates. Each convict is assigned a tiny attack helicopter and an underpaid computer tech who remotely-operates the more complex functions. In this case, it’s also a straight-up Suicide Squad mission where the company is secretly planning to sacrifice everyone to protect their minerals & equipment.

So the corporation is obviously the bad guy, right? And, like, nope; all emphasis is on the impending attack by the (offscreen) space pirates, who are planning to airstrike the colony with a squadron of drone fighters. So, yes: the ostensible villains are the ones who don’t use slave labour, and are robbing from the company that does. And it’s not in a satirical way; the corporation is straightforwardly presented as the lesser of two evils.

On top of this, there’s an extremely ill-advised scene - which could have easily been cut from the film - where most of the convict characters are shown to be complicit in a stereotypical shower rape. The idea is evidently that they’re all just oblivious idiots, but it very much comes across as everyone turning a blind eye - and that just botches the rest of the movie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 18, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You know, I'm glad my expectations were brought down a lot because drat.

I'm glad I won't be disappointed now, I appreciate it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

I've been on a big Starship Troopers kick lately, I love the Warrior Bug design. I just got this bad boy, he's fun to fiddle with.

That looks great. Do you know if they ship to the UK?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sigher posted:

You know, I'm glad my expectations were brought down a lot because drat.

I'm glad I won't be disappointed now, I appreciate it.

In a sense, though, Moon 44 is doing way too good of a job of replicating Cameron’s movie. When you do Aliens without the overwhelming threat of the literal aliens, then you’re left with all the ugly compromises laid bare: Ripley working for the evil corporation in order to get promoted, assisting the imperialistic military, etc.

(The Ripley-ish focal character of Moon 44 voices some gripes about how things are being done, but is ultimately working with the company to secure a fairly cushy retirement for himself.)

That being said, it’s a super-weird movie - and there’s at least one really good fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

That looks great. Do you know if they ship to the UK?
I can think of three retailers worth exploring.
Big Bad Toy Store (does ship to the UK)
Amiami (does ship to the UK
Hobby Link Japan (does ship to the UK, this is the retailer I bought from but I'm in the US)

I don't know which will offer the best shipping price, though.

Alternately there's ebay I guess.