Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Entertainment companies get real fun when they're in 'baby come back' mode after arrogantly making GBS threads the bed for years.

It's just impressive that Disney managed to get fuckin' STAR WARS to this point in not even five years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just impressive that Disney managed to get fuckin' STAR WARS to this point in not even five years lol

It's pretty crazy as an old Star Wars fan who lived through the 'don't so anything with the franchise for 15 years' just how much Star Wars we get now, for better and worse.

At least it's unique new content and not just merchandising.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

New LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special was a lot of dumb fun. Really enjoyed it. Sheev was especially fun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's pretty crazy as an old Star Wars fan who lived through the 'don't so anything with the franchise for 15 years' just how much Star Wars we get now, for better and worse.

At least it's unique new content and not just merchandising.

hey, we got the force unleashed games.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Those games weren't very good though

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

Those games weren't very good though

neither are the new movies. So I guess it's a wash.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fallen Order is the best Star Wars game since the days of KOTOR, Dark Forces or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

The OG Battlefronts were boss as gently caress, too.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gonz posted:

Fallen Order is the best Star Wars game since the days of KOTOR, Dark Forces or X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

The OG Battlefronts were boss as gently caress, too.

apparently fallen order is pretty good, but calling the best star wars games since the last good one is kind of faint praise.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

apparently fallen order is pretty good, but calling the best star wars games since the last good one is kind of faint praise.

This is true. Still, Lucasarts got mega lazy after KOTOR and it’s sequel. Whole poo poo ton of forgettable titles on the PC, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The fact that the KOTOR titles are remembered as well as they are is faint praise of its own.

Their perfectly decent Bioware-style RPGs, but a high water mark they are not.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you look at the entire history of licensed games, Star Wars games fare better than the average licensed game really

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The United States posted:

If you look at the entire history of licensed games, Star Wars games fare better than the average licensed game really

Oh Icarus. Dare not fly too high

the Rogue Squadron games are great. Wish they were easily available these days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just bought Episode I Racer for my Xbox. Game owns. Had it for N64 and Dreamcast.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The amount of Star wars games that aren't just good licensed games, but actually straight up good games, is quite frankly mystifying. No one else has ever really been able to replicate it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I liked the SNES platformers. Pretty hard but they looked great

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

I liked the SNES platformers. Pretty hard but they looked great

Arguably one of the best soundtracks on the SNES, too. The sound design on those games was insane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

The amount of Star wars games that aren't just good licensed games, but actually straight up good games, is quite frankly mystifying. No one else has ever really been able to replicate it.

A big part is that they aren't being rushed to meet a movie release date, generally.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

galagazombie posted:

I think maybe is because the Star Wars universe is just a perfect setting for a videogame

edit: this talk made me want to play Jedi Knight again

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 18, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of games, when's that new Lego Star Wars game that covers all 9 movies coming out again (and are the first 7 redone or just ports of the existing versions)?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

Speaking of games, when's that new Lego Star Wars game that covers all 9 movies coming out again (and are the first 7 redone or just ports of the existing versions)?

Spring 2021, whatever that means.

Content is all new.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Really looking forward to that, I need a new daddy/daughter couch co-op game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm umming and aahing on getting that game bc it's got voice acting, and I prefer the lego games when the cutscenes are puppet shows with no dialogue

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

2house2fly posted:

I'm umming and aahing on getting that game bc it's got voice acting, and I prefer the lego games when the cutscenes are puppet shows with no dialogue

The voice acting in Lego Force Awakens wasn’t too bad (they actually got back most of the cast from the movie).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carrie Fisher (or at least a decent enough soundalike) saying wookiee cookies sent me for a trip

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

galagazombie posted:

probably because the universe is so open, and all the good worldbuilding in it hints at stuff beyond the film but never spells it out. You can, without really inventing anything that isn't in the films, do space combat, FPS's, RPGs, action adventure game, Racing games, Strategy games...probably some other stuff I've forgotten

And there's both enough and little enough for each of those that you can just do whatever you want in that genre without contradicting anything in the source material. There's clear hooks but also few restrictions in every one of those categories. We see one Pod race, but have no idea how the sport works in general, so the game developers are free to do whatever works best for the rest of the game

By contrast, trying to do that many games in, say, the Marvel universe, which has far more films, would be variants of running around with a single character punching enemies. There's nothing wrong with that genre, but that's the only one you could do. You couldn't pull a rogue squadron and have a game about the SHIELD pilots or whatever. Every Lord of the Rings/hobbit game was a hack and slash RPG. sometimes with more emphasis on the hack and slash, sometimes more on the RPG elements. The only exception was an actually really good RTS that I wish was still available.

Also, there's no other single brand that's quite as lucrative and enduring.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I like to collage blaster designs in photoshop out of old random guns/airguns/etc. and I'm curious if any specific ones stick out as good candidates for translation to 3d models/physical props in your opinion. I use a lot of these also as potential items for swd&d campaigns as well.

I've been really strongly considering some kind of original character (some kind of bounty hunter/smuggler/scoundrel) for cosplay once cons happen again after covid.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I’m digging that lever-action blaster rifle. Second down on the right.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

galagazombie posted:

I think alot of this had to do with Lucas founding LucasArts and like his other projects such as ILM and Skywalker sound, ensuring they were on the cutting edge of technology and giving them the budgets and timeframes to produce solid stuff.

Then somewhere along the line around the prequels release, LucasArts just became another outsourcing studio and those studios mostly released pretty ordinary stuff, save a couple of amazing gems, like JK2, Republic Commando and the original battlefronts.

Really, the Disney games have been fantastic too - there just hasn't been alot of them. Battlefront 2015 was amazing, but lean on content and not as hardcore as mainstream shooter audiences wanted. 2017 was marred in a shitload of deserved controversy which ensured that the game itself was overlooked. Fallen Order is amazing, and Squadrons, though again light in content, is incredible and almost everything I've wanted in a X-Wing follow up since the 90s.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, aside from the Lego stuff did the sequel era even get any games at all?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, aside from the Lego stuff did the sequel era even get any games at all?

Battlefront 2 wasn't sequel-specific but it did have characters and locations from the movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lego Star Wars at least counts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lego Star Wars at least counts.

Oh I know, I was just curious if anything had come out besides that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Oh I know, I was just curious if anything had come out besides that.

No, but you don't really see any big games based on movies anymore. Especially for Disney owned properties. You'd think the MCU movies would be a potential cash cow for video games, but they only really had the one Avengers game that just came out, and it tries it's hardest to make sure you know it's NOT based on the movies. Ditto for the Spider-Man games. The Arkham Batman games all pull way more from the comics and 90's cartoon show than they do any of the movies.

Video games based directly on movies have basically died out (outside of mobile app stuff).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 19, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

No, but you don't really see any big games based on movies anymore. Especially for Disney owned properties. You'd think the MCU movies would be a potential cash cow for video games, but they only really had the one Avengers game that just came out, and it tries it's hardest to make sure you know it's NOT based on the movies. Ditto for the Spider-Man games. The Arkham Batman games all pull way more from the comics and 90's cartoon show than they do any of the movies.

Video games based directly on movies have basically died out (outside of mobile app stuff).

Well as mentioned there was a Lego adaption of The Force Awakens and another one coming out next year that covers all 9 films but otherwise fair point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Well as mentioned there was a Lego adaption of The Force Awakens and another one coming out next year that covers all 9 films but otherwise fair point.

Sure, all LEGO games are an anomaly in a lot of ways.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I think it's a combination of game budgets in general absolutely loving ballooning, making matching the film's release schedule even harder than it has always been, video games having their own blockbuster bottleneck issues for big releases and also just games getting pretty drat cinematic themselves, making movie video games and video game movies increasingly redundant.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Garbage movie tie in games are probably mostly the domain of mobile games since the cost is so much lower. Doing tie ins with stuff like Fortnite as Disney has been doing a lot for Marvel and Star Wars is probably a better investment from their perspective. There is a big built in audience, the devs can just slap together a few skins or elements, and everything can absorb changes in marketing timings much easier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Even the Lego games sometimes avoid being directly tied to film releases.

None of the 4 DC games have been related to a movie (outside of some DLC), only one of the 3 Marvel ones has been (Avengers), and the Lord of the Rings game came out in 2013 because that's when they were making LotR sets (because they were making Hobbit sets for the Hobbit movies).

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Shiroc posted:

Garbage movie tie in games are probably mostly the domain of mobile games since the cost is so much lower. Doing tie ins with stuff like Fortnite as Disney has been doing a lot for Marvel and Star Wars is probably a better investment from their perspective. There is a big built in audience, the devs can just slap together a few skins or elements, and everything can absorb changes in marketing timings much easier.

Yeah I think the advent of the always updating "games as a service" has made it excessively easy and cheap to use other people games to sell your stuff instead of going through the trouble of making one yourself. Back in the pre-internet days you couldn't just insert your movie tie-in into Street Fighter II or whatever. First games just couldn't be updated post-release through the internet like they can now. Plus you'd have to justify to the devs/publishers why they should devote precious development time to giving Ryu and Ken Johnny Rico from Starship Troopers! Now in Theaters! costumes from a movie that won't even be in the public consciousness after a month. Today as you said Ryu and Ken can be in hastily thrown together Chewbacca costumes shipped out by the end of the workday and removed from the servers after the movies run is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm just thinking of all the tie-in poo poo that could've made bank if Dual Of The Fates was made...

- Animated series in the 9-year time skip between TLJ & DotF
- GAMES. Shooters/Platformers/RPGs/VR with Rey's double-bladed saber/Eclipse Destroyer simulator with inverted controls
- Blind Rey/Nu-mask Kylo/General Finn/Saiyan armor Rose toys be flying off shelves
- Additional Disney+ poo poo
- Additional theme park poo poo

Throwing all that out was literally the opposite of everything Yogurt stands for.