Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Oops, autocorrect on my post but the point stands, nextdoor not founded by him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s probably him trying to look like a big deal, like the guy videogames Twitter was dunking on a few weeks back who said he was Google Stadia creative director but was just director of an internal studio.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How do you dunk on someone who works on the Stadia

That's like trying to make fun of a clown

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1328195091576471552

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
This one's loaded:
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1328206493422915584

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Osaka Joe Biden.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The match is over and still the stars keep coming in? Six stars? UNBELIEVABLE! Unheard of corruption, none of our poll watchers were allowed in the Tokyo Dome, all stars DISQUALIFIED!!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Lord_Mountevans/status/1318044616424345600

80s Dave what the hell man

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Meltzer said WHAT?

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

There's a lot of effort gone into that thread and I can't help but feel it would have been better spent elsewhere.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Genericide posted:

There's a lot of effort gone into that thread and I can't help but feel it would have been better spent elsewhere.

Like he could have talked about all the good things his hero Jim did.

That guy's twitter goes places.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bryan keeps talking about how much he loved Talk-N-Shop-A-Mania 2. Did anyone else order it? Worth it?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Bryan keeps talking about how much he loved Talk-N-Shop-A-Mania 2. Did anyone else order it? Worth it?

It was okay. I think it's the dictionary definition of 'diminishing returns' though. It's nice that they got Jericho and Rusev to do cameos I suppose.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

That guy is just a troll anyway. Dave has made some weird mistakes, but there's no point in litigating poo poo like "he thought the crossface chickenwing was stupid when the Observer was still an outright fanzine 36 years ago." (Incidentally, it's not the best submission hold for a lot of pro wrestlers to use because there's so little that the recipient can do to sell dramatically while in the hold. Better for a babyface to use on heels than the other way around.)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thank you bix for in your article not just defaulting to calling yaxley lennon by his made up working class hero name

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

jesus WEP posted:

thank you bix for in your article not just defaulting to calling yaxley lennon by his made up working class hero name

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I laughed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oh uh yeah i am most definitely clever enough to have thought of that

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

davidbix posted:

(Incidentally, it's not the best submission hold for a lot of pro wrestlers to use because there's so little that the recipient can do to sell dramatically while in the hold. Better for a babyface to use on heels than the other way around.)

you can waggle your free arm around and twist & contort

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan pulling himself up short from reacting to Dave admitting Lana wasn't acting like a babyface was a beautiful moment on the latest WOR :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It really shouldn't surprise me that Bryan, a business owner who pays writers in exposure, is anti-union, but for some reason it does.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan essentially saying one of the negatives of unionizing was having to stand in solidarity with other union members was certainly something :cripes:

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

davidbix posted:

That guy is just a troll anyway. Dave has made some weird mistakes, but there's no point in litigating poo poo like "he thought the crossface chickenwing was stupid when the Observer was still an outright fanzine 36 years ago." (Incidentally, it's not the best submission hold for a lot of pro wrestlers to use because there's so little that the recipient can do to sell dramatically while in the hold. Better for a babyface to use on heels than the other way around.)

the way backlund would do it most of the time looked laughably bad because his hands werent even close to being locked together. I remember thinking it was a joke hold for a long time until I saw Bret Hart demonstrate it on some TV show and saw, hey, this move is actually legit. I later saw some matches where Backlund actually put the hold on, so I think it was just that most guys didnt want to actually take the hold because it hurts like hell if you do it right

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Marty Scrull's actually looked okay but still really didn't feel like a finishing submission (also Marty sucks and is horrible human too)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Scurll’s was great because it fit perfectly in the context of his character

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

OctoberCountry posted:

Meltzer said WHAT?

hosed up that dave was wrong at one point about the result of a midcard WrestleMania match, what fuckin credibility does he have left

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Scurll’s was great because it fit perfectly in the context of his character

Him getting that move over as much was as impressive as... gently caress I thought I could equate this to how big of a piece of poo poo he is but I can't make the sentence work he's a piece of poo poo!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan essentially saying one of the negatives of unionizing was having to stand in solidarity with other union members was certainly something :cripes:

With the WWE wrestlers' luck, they'll probably end up with a union like the one I recently belong to; one that would give in to everything the company demanded, and not stand up for the workers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

With the WWE wrestlers' luck, they'll probably end up with a union like the one I recently belong to; one that would give in to everything the company demanded, and not stand up for the workers.
SAG Aftra is pretty good, though far from perfect. I'm really hoping something comes of that. They're on TV every week, reading from scripts written by writers. They're TV performers who do their own stunts and should be paid as such. It's loving bananas how WWE has managed to fly under the radar, but doubly so post-IPO.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Especially given how the last few years WWE has been absolutely adamant that most of the wrestlers MUST read precisely what is written AND do the specific motions/actions the script describes as well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hangman took the Chicken Wing at Revolution. It's his move now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Especially given how the last few years WWE has been absolutely adamant that most of the wrestlers MUST read precisely what is written AND do the specific motions/actions the script describes as well.

*Rhea Ripley doing a pose on the ramp while doing a run in save*

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Just this past week I've stumbled onto Bruce Prichard's podcast. I've been binging it! I never realized Brother Love had so many deep connections and friendships to so many talented people.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:mrgw: enjoy it!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It really shouldn't surprise me that Bryan, a business owner who pays writers in exposure, is anti-union, but for some reason it does.
Bryan said what to who on which show in the what now?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

yea ok posted:

:mrgw: enjoy it!

That Conrad guy makes it hard to listen sometimes, he needs to shut up a little bit. I can tell when he legit pisses off Bruce

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

davidbix posted:

Bryan said what to who on which show in the what now?
I went back and listened to the relevant portion of the November 17 WOR and it went:

BRYAN: So the news here today... SAG-AFTRA.
DAVE: Uh huh.
BRYAN: ...tell us about it, what's going on?
DAVE: [literal ten minute monologue]
BRYAN: Okay, coming up this Wednesday on NXT--

So I checked yesterday's WOL and it opens with him reading a letter from a listener/SAG-AFTRA member. As a non-expert in how the process works, the caller's email seemed pretty accurate, in that it pointed out obstacles (getting the required number of people to request a vote, getting wrestlers to vote in favor ones it's put up to a vote, potential sticking points in a CBA) and emphasizes the last line of the email, "Talent will absolutely walk away with a hell of a lot more than they have now."

His follow-up: "Like I said, I read all of this. This is the way that it would be. But at the end of the day, I talked to people all day yesterday, this has been on and off since the first Wrestlemania and Jesse Ventura. It's never happened. The feeling among a lot of people is that it ain't gonna happen now. But that's... everything you need to know about it, like I said I'm not going to spend weeks discussing it. Aside from Rocky at the end of the show I'm pretty much done. But if more comes of this, if a ball gets rolling, if an Andrew Yang does something, we'll talk about it. But until more happens we're right where we were prior to Wrestlemania I."

I skipped to the Rocky interview, both Rocky and Bryan point out the potential issue with union/non-union work and how that might affect indie wrestlers/promoters as "something that would have to be addressed", with Rocky giving a specific example of how he got an offer to do Lucha Underground but wasn't sure if he could take it as a SAG member because LU was a non-union television production.

Semp is the one who goes into "just asking questions" mode about how expensive the health insurance might prove to be for the wrestlers to pay into, "the cost of dues for young guys", how WWE could game the system to fire people every 3-4 years so they can't get fully vested, and all of the other hidden costs and drawbacks for unionizing wrestlers. Rocky doesn't really have all of the details in front of him, but sort of demurs into "well, they've figured out how to keep those things equitable for different tiers of actors so I assume they've got this worked out?"

My impression was that Alvarez is very cynical/pessimistic about wrestlers having solidarity, but I have missed the part where he actually argues against it, but he does like forty shows a week so I've probably missed it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I was dying laughing at Bryan cutting Vince's promo at Whitney. Great B&V episode.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

It's unlike WSAENOTSOCK to make something up to attack someone they don't like. And to do it with an air of sneery sarcasm.

Edit: this was over the top and not very constructive. Apologies.

Genericide fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 18, 2020

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you read between the lines, on WOL Bryan basically said it'll never happen because, ala Ventura and Hogan, somebody will always be a rat. And we already know there are rats in the current locker room, courtesy of Miro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Genericide posted:

It's unlike WSAENOTSOCK to make something up to attack someone they don't like. And to do it with an air of sneery sarcasm.
That wasn't my point at all, and your personal attack aside Jerusalem also referred to some comments that don't appear to be from the most recent WOR/WOLs (or in a section I glossed over) so I fully believe he's said more about the topic, and it's easy for someone to slide between "this sounds like a good idea but won't work" and "this isn't going to work because it's a bad idea", especially if they're trying not to come out and sound anti-Union. Based on the labeled-as-union-talk portion of yesterday's WOL it felt like Semp was more in the "just asking questions" bad faith category than Bryan, but again, the man does like fifty podcasts and they jump around on topics, so I fully sincerely believe I missed some comments.