Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Facebook Aunt posted:

Peace in America is fake, much like this hoodie. Good message.

Not only is it fake, it's an advertising ploy. Even better message!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Beachcomber posted:

It's not really arbitrary, but with modern food safety the reasons no longer apply.

The no cheeseburger thing is a ridiculous extrapolation of what the text actually says, which is no boiling a baby animal in the milk of it's mother. Really hosed up stuff that was probably done for some other religion or cult back in the day.

I have no idea about the mixed clothing materials.

That was a prophetic condemnation of the Gap Unity Hoodie

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Amazon out here declaring a united Ireland, no biggy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memento posted:

Amazon out here declaring a united Ireland, no biggy

Ian Paisley rolling over in his grave

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
some other highlights
https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/1327717778602807300

my favorite though is
https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1327635102302613505

good on them for apologizing though, i had no idea it was their fault

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First they gently caress up and then they try and apologize for the troubles? Way to overreach amazon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm the outsourced social media support tech just watching the thousands of quote tweets pile up thinking about how much I need that buck fifty an hour to feed my family

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

First they gently caress up and then they try and apologize for the troubles? Way to overreach amazon.

:lol:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assumed that was on purpose, it can't not be.

More spam:

A person with the extremely normal AMERICAN name of Girdaladze has cancer...maybe.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phlegmish posted:

More spam:

A person with the extremely normal AMERICAN name of Girdaladze has cancer...maybe.
Kingsley Goerge is an outlier and should not have been counted.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

A company named Fabletics offered a military discount for men but not women. Comments on their facebook page are not going well, at all.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/11/12/fabletics-gifts-veterans-day-discount-on-yoga-pants-but-only-for-men/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Grem posted:

A company named Fabletics offered a military discount for men but not women. Comments on their facebook page are not going well, at all.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2020/11/12/fabletics-gifts-veterans-day-discount-on-yoga-pants-but-only-for-men/

I read the article and clicked on the original tweet, but am left confused. How does the company know if the person ordering is a man or a woman? I wish they'd posted a screenshot of the actual sales page. If it simply didn't apply to women's clothing, it's dumb as poo poo --- maybe a mildude wanted to buy his female partner a gift.

(For that matter, how do you even prove you're a vet when ordering something online?)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
BMW's new electric car has not been well received, partly on a technical level but mostly because of its molerat-inspired styling.

The marketing department have decided to go onto the offensive harnessing the power of those 'meme' things and using all the negative comments from their own YouTube channel as evidence that only the really cool people like electric BMWs

https://twitter.com/BMW/status/1328004840165928961

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I read the article and clicked on the original tweet, but am left confused. How does the company know if the person ordering is a man or a woman? I wish they'd posted a screenshot of the actual sales page. If it simply didn't apply to women's clothing, it's dumb as poo poo --- maybe a mildude wanted to buy his female partner a gift.

(For that matter, how do you even prove you're a vet when ordering something online?)

Or maybe a woman veteran would want to buy some yoga pants for herself. I can't begin to guess their justification for excluding women or women's clothing.

I'm not a vet but my mother is, and different sites seem to have different methods for checking. Most use those online ID verification things which I'm guessing is also how they'd know your sex. (But at least one small business was like "uhh idk, show us your DD 214 I guess?" Maybe no one had ever asked for the discount before.)

How come yoga pants companies are always repugnant? I feel like they get caught saying or doing dumb poo poo fairly often, especially about women. Which is extra stupid considering that's the majority of their customer base.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Telemaze posted:

How come yoga pants companies are always repugnant? I feel like they get caught saying or doing dumb poo poo fairly often, especially about women. Which is extra stupid considering that's the majority of their customer base.

Maybe they all got into business because they wanted to stare at butts and make them look as good as possible.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a captive market

What are they going to do, not buy yoga pants?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Telemaze posted:

Or maybe a woman veteran would want to buy some yoga pants for herself. I can't begin to guess their justification for excluding women or women's clothing.

Oh, yeah, I get that. That seems to be the reasoning behind of the tweet. What I couldn't figure out was how they'd discriminate against women, unless it was "the discount works for men's clothing, but not women's." And that's dumb as hell if a guy wanted to buy something for a lady.

quote:

I'm not a vet but my mother is, and different sites seem to have different methods for checking. Most use those online ID verification things which I'm guessing is also how they'd know your sex. (But at least one small business was like "uhh idk, show us your DD 214 I guess?" Maybe no one had ever asked for the discount before.)

Thanks, couldn't figure out how that worked!

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

It's a captive market

What are they going to do, not buy yoga pants?

They can just buy artisanal yoga pants from Etsy or w/e.

I'm joking, but I bet that's totally a thing already!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

There's something in the military verification thing that has you pick male or female and if it's female I guess it gets flagged. It's not clothes it's literally men trying to get a discount vs women trying to get a discount.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Telemaze posted:

Yeah, I looked into it when Lowe's went to online verification, it looks like it's a 3rd party that collaborates with the VA? I forget, but it's creepy as hell because it asks for WAY MORE PII than would be necessary to steal your identity.

Also, apparently Fabletics is either woman owned, or uses a woman celebrity as a figurehead, which makes the misogyny even weirder.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I looked into it because I'm EMS and some businesses have been offering discounts to healthcare and first responders since covid-19 hit.

The problem is that to get it you need to use that service and they want way too much loving personal information for a 10% discount.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

It's not really arbitrary, but with modern food safety the reasons no longer apply.

The no cheeseburger thing is a ridiculous extrapolation of what the text actually says, which is no boiling a baby animal in the milk of it's mother. Really hosed up stuff that was probably done for some other religion or cult back in the day.

I have no idea about the mixed clothing materials.

I always assumed that was against people using more materials than they needed to for clothing, which in a society where everything had to be sewn by hand without modern textile techniques would be kinda wasteful (and probably done as a status symbol, to show off how much you could afford)

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
To add a bit, as a veteran myself, I constantly get emails for veteran discounts at sites that want me to scan my drivers license or my VA card so I can claim “50% off new Oakely Eyewear”

bitch I can get half off fake oakleys on wish and all I gotta do is pay for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

More spam:

My favorite of these are the ones where they try to use an actual generic American name, but flip the given and surname because that's how they do it where the spammer is from.

So you get stuff like "I am Mr Smith Mike".

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Yeesh, this could’ve been timed better.
https://twitter.com/monstercat/status/1328744709481644033?s=21

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Why? (not being combative, I just have no idea what monster cat is, or why this is a bad idea)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Twitch recently took down a massive number of streams due to copyright violations with no warning. It looks like it was mostly responding to automated DMCAs. Apparently quite a few were false positives, in-game music or ancient streams from before there was any enforcement.

I actually think this is exactly the sort of solution that's needed, although "1000s" of songs isn't great. I've seen quite a few Twitch streams where the hosts have to deny music requests from viewers because they don't want the banhammer coming down on them. Or streams where they open a youtube video and quickly have to mute or close it because there's music playing :v:

E: ok Monstercat's catalogue kinda sucks.

Fruits of the sea has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Nov 17, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Recently" includes DMCA notices they've received since March, if memory serves.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

While the DMCA poo poo in general is always bullshit, people getting hit by bots for police siren sound effects and literally just whispering in phasmophobia has streamers constantly walking on eggshells.

Jumping in with 'buy our service to not get dmca'd by the company we're teaming up with' (not to mention that advertising for basically 'pay us to become affiliated' is some bullshit) is not a great look.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Twitch recently took down a massive number of streams due to copyright violations with no warning. It looks like it was mostly responding to automated DMCAs. Apparently quite a few were false positives, in-game music or ancient streams from before there was any enforcement.

I actually think this is exactly the sort of solution that's needed, although "1000s" of songs isn't great. I've seen quite a few Twitch streams where the hosts have to deny music requests from viewers because they don't want the banhammer coming down on them. Or streams where they open a youtube video and quickly have to mute or close it because there's music playing :v:

E: ok Monstercat's catalogue kinda sucks.

Also it appears to be letting you buy affiliate for $5?

Or at least cut the line.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Also it appears to be letting you buy affiliate for $5?

Or at least cut the line.

Oh yeah, I didn’t stop to think about that. Kinda sketchy for a third party to be advertising affiliate “fast tracking”.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good job naming your app guys.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This doesn't seem like it will disrupt the market for the dick sucking factory so the economy is safe.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Brb gonna start a lawn service uber called blowie.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A lot of handymen also have lawn care equipment so they could use both apps.

"Pardon me sir, I forgot, did you call me for a handy or a blowie?"

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Always wondered what the guys behind this site/app did after it folded

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm starting a new app where people can rent their goats out for birthday petting zoos and also landscaping. Look for Goatsee, coming soon!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm starting a new app where people can rent their goats out for birthday petting zoos and also landscaping. Look for Goatsee, coming soon!

bellissimo!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Our carpet cleaning business was named after the original home of clean carpets, the city of Cleveland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So here I am half watching a compilation of retro commercials and a Zip Drive commercial comes on. It takes place on a plane in the Bermuda Triangle and makes fun of things disappearing. This may not have been the best thing to put alongside your totally reliable storage medium