Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 60s AIP dubs were generally good though. The voices were broad but matched the characters. (And the US version of Mothra vs Godzilla is the only way to see the Frontier Missile sequence, which while it doesn’t mean much dramatically, is still the one time Toho shot SFX exclusively for an overseas release.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still maintain that they should have, and still should in fact, do modern dubs that are better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still maintain that they should have, and still should in fact, do modern dubs that are better.

I would love to do that for the Heisei films. Like even the early International dubs for the 70s have a certain charm, because it's mostly the same voice actors as a bunch of kung fu movies, but the 90s dubs don't work at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have a certain nostalgic fondness for the 90s dubs because they’re some of the first G films I ever saw. I can’t remember if it was Encore or Starz but one of those channels used to air them in the early mornings all the time and I’d watch bits and pieces as I waited for the school bus at my grandparents’ house.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Dangerous Person posted:

How was Toho difficult? I've seen it mentioned before but not in detail

Sorry, should have been more clear at the outset. A lot of this is sort of film preservation/presentation stuff that I'm not much of an expert on, but it's clear that Criterion was not given the best possible masters to work with in creating the Showa set -- previous home video releases of these films have actually looked *better* than what Criteron was able to do. Regarding the dubs, I understand that reasonable minds can differ on whether or not the old ones produced stateside are "embarassing" or whatever, but it seems more like Toho just wants to make sure that only *their* dubs are available -- more of a control thing than necessarily trying to sweep an old shame under the rug.

Finally, and this isn't just about the Criterion set, Toho has always been infamously difficult to work with when it comes to producing bonus features for home media releases; this got especially bad in around 2011-12, when it had entire print runs cancelled at the eleventh hour because some supplemental features hadn't been approved through the proper channels. Obviously Toho has the legal right to do whatever they want to do with these movies and be as stubborn as they want, but the comparison between the Criterion Showa set and the Arrow Gamera box set from earlier this year is pretty damning in terms of Toho's (un)willingness to either put the work in themselves, or let people who are passionate about the movies do the best work they can do on home video releases without meddling from on high.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I'm under the impression that a lot of Japanese studios feel like their properties should command as much money overseas as they do at home, which makes things prohibitively expensive. I'm sure a lot of distributors would like to just have the rights to distribute Godzilla in English-speaking countries but it would probably cost an arm and a leg for the rights to every movie starring the big guy.

It does surprise me how niche the Kaiju genre actually is in America. I don’t quite get why giant monsters smashing things never quite makes that big of a splash over here.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Even among my extremely geek and weeb friends, my love of actual Godzilla movies is an outlier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Even among my extremely geek and weeb friends, my love of actual Godzilla movies is an outlier.

loving tell me about it

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Jimbot posted:

Best way is to just buy the blu-rays off of amazon. They're double features and you'll always have them. For some reason people are drifting away from physical media and if you're one of those people it's still worth getting them for niche genres like HK action, wuxia, kaiju and the like.

These ones with the bright green label

If you even do a search some of those same ones some are going for bananas expensive because for some reason. Like the 1991 version of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

Cheers for that, here's hoping I can find some that will work in an Australian blu ray player.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I just want VS Biollante on Blu-ray. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It does surprise me how niche the Kaiju genre actually is in America. I don’t quite get why giant monsters smashing things never quite makes that big of a splash over here.

America likes to be the smasher, not the smashee.

Edit: Okay, that’s a little unfair to say - we like watching our nation get torn up by aliens or natural disasters. I would say it has more to do with the stigma of foreign films than anything. No matter how many Americans he steps on, Godzilla will always be a Japanese import.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 9, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Shiftypenguin posted:

I just want VS Biollante on Blu-ray. Unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon.

:buddy:
Better believe I bought this the moment it went on sale.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, so not paying $130 for that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Splint Chesthair posted:

America likes to be the smasher, not the smashee.

Edit: Okay, that’s a little unfair to say - we like watching our nation get torn up by aliens or natural disasters. I would say it has more to do with the stigma of foreign films than anything. No matter how many Americans he steps on, Godzilla will always be a Japanese import.

i feel like this is almost there but not quite

the thing is, Godzilla actually was some degree of huge in the USA through basically the entire Showa series. Godzilla: King of the Monsters was a huge hit, Godzilla vs. Megalon was a huge hit, and basically everything in between those two made at least some kind of a splash among people who loved genre movies.

the problem is that Toho is, as mentioned, extraordinarily embarrassed of how the Showa movies are seen in popular American consciousness, and essentially decided at some point that they would rather just not have our money than see the big green boy be "disrespected," causing Godzilla stuff to more or less only exist in fits and starts in the USA for about 40 years

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jimbot posted:

The version I have is some double pack with an Asylum/SyFy shark movie thing and I keep meaning to print a proper Biollante insert for it. $5 back then beats paying $100+ now, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm so glad I bought the Biollante bluray on a whim forever ago for $8.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The version I have is some double pack with an Asylum/SyFy shark movie thing and I keep meaning to print a proper Biollante insert for it. $5 back then beats paying $100+ now, though.

I thought about finding a nice blu-ray insert that has the original cover art. Say what you will about the Heisei films, having terrible posters it did not.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Every other live action Godzilla movie is still in print or easily available on bluray in the US right now? You'd think that *someone* would realize there is money to be made in bringing Biollante back out to fill the gap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shiroc posted:

Every other live action Godzilla movie is still in print or easily available on bluray in the US right now? You'd think that *someone* would realize there is money to be made in bringing Biollante back out to fill the gap.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Mothra seem to currently only be available in an expensive DVD threepack, the bluray is not available.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs Mothra seem to currently only be available in an expensive DVD threepack, the bluray is not available.

They're also pan and scan, dub only in that three pack, just to really rub it in.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gatos!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I figure this is the best place to ask.

Are there any good Godzilla toys that are safe for 2-4 year olds?

I think a large Godzilla would be awesome for the little man to carry around. Any story book recommendations would be helpful too.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PeterCat posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask.

Are there any good Godzilla toys that are safe for 2-4 year olds?

I think a large Godzilla would be awesome for the little man to carry around. Any story book recommendations would be helpful too.

Target sells Godzilla plush toys.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yes! I saw the prototype last year at DesignerCon. Super cool!

Yeah I also recommend the plush toy route- at that young hard plastic toys of Godzilla have a bit too many pointy bits. OR there are the Chibi Godzilla series toys!. These are soft vinyl toys and are small enough to easily carry in hand.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Target sells Godzilla plush toys.

Just be aware that these are typically found in the movie section with the “grown-up” collectibles, rather than the toy aisles.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think it even shakes when you hug it

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

brocked posted:

I think it even shakes when you hug it

I can confirm it does. My 2 year old daughter loves it.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Is Pulgasauri a bull?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grab some NECA Godzillas for when they're 8-10, before they become too expensive.

Some vinyl Godzillas might be okay if they're 3 or so

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I want to go to there

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1329966182955446272?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
That store would bankrupt me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"I'm assembling a team"
"What, you finally going to pull off that Fort Knox job we always talked about?"
"No, that's small time. I'm after a real prize... the Osaka Godzilla Store. We're going to take it. All of it."
"....You son of a bitch, I'm in."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mantis42 posted:

"I'm assembling a team"
"What, you finally going to pull off that Fort Knox job we always talked about?"
"No, that's small time. I'm after a real prize... the Osaka Godzilla Store. We're going to take it. All of it."
"....You son of a bitch, I'm in."

I said to a friend the second I saw that store

If there was anywhere I would shoplift, it would be there.

That loving Godzilla is mine

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
That store is all my six-year old son is talking about now.

"Dad, when the virus is over, we can go to the Godzilla store and buy some godzilla figures."

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My friend and I are planning on going to Japan whenever we can again and I already apologized to him for how much time we're going to spend at that store

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 21, 2020

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Slide my hastily Google translated robbery note onto the counter
こんにちは、ゴジラを全部ください

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1331320464925454344?s=20

I've been looking at the Godzilla Deforeal stuff for a bit, and while I like this one a fair bit, I just love the doofy '54 Godzilla staring out of it.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
My Howl from Beyond the Fog blu-ray should be arriving today.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/el_zombo/status/1331637779978211331?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

That feeling when your kaiju suit is so lovely it accidentally looks anatomically correct