Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally a semi-decent look at the Voyager-J (lmao) and the USS Nog

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1328759813061320705?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No, they were all kind of dicks. I'd rather go visit future Risa.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Martytoof posted:

No, they were all kind of dicks. I'd rather go visit future Risa.

It's the future and everyone has portable jamaharon emitters wherever they go

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Bloop posted:

It's the future and everyone has portable jamaharon emitters wherever they go

What a bleak but arousing future.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everyone in Risa is in stained sweatpants, drunk and half-watching Starz series

One of them raises a jamaharon non-committally

The others go eeehhh I really need a shower I dunno

We could shower together maybe

Eh nah

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

The Bloop posted:

Who the hell doesn't have a $3 VPN and a torrent app in 2020 to watch whatever they want ESPECIALLY if it's regionally unavailable

Yeah I pay for 2 streaming services but not ALL streaming services, what am I, made of giving a poo poo?

I mean my parents don't but they are OLD old. I'm regular old and I do

Eh. I'm fully aware I could just pirate this stuff, but I'm at a stage of my life where I can afford to subscribe to a bunch of services, and generally speaking, are happy they exist so I'm glad to support them. Especially when the metrics of my viewing might help the shows stay on the air, or prevent then from being bastardised to appeal to wider audiences.

I'm not being all high and mighty either. Younger me would have pirated the poo poo out of these. As for now, I don't really have enough time to watch all the shows on streaming that I'd like to, so I can just wait.

Australia also only has a couple of streaming services of any note and hasn't yet adopted the 'every provider has their own service' crap that the US has... Although that will change soon I expect.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Bloop posted:

Who the hell doesn't have a $3 VPN and a torrent app in 2020 to watch whatever they want ESPECIALLY if it's regionally unavailable

Yeah I pay for 2 streaming services but not ALL streaming services, what am I, made of giving a poo poo?

I ask myself this every time a thread goes into a multi-page derail about what streaming service something is on.

I haven't pirated a game since Steam and GOG came around because they are convenient. Streaming services are bullshit. I pay for your service but to watch a movie (if you even have it, which usually you don't) I have to spend another $4 to rent it one time? My rear end.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ya movie streaming isn’t replacing piracy, it’s replacing TV. I have spotify because it’s more convenient than stealing stuff. But the same doesn’t apply for TV; pirating stuff tends to be much more convenient than legally steaming it.

But Netflix has that “what’s on tonight?” feeling TV does. It’s great for TV night with the family.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 17, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Isometric Bacon posted:

Eh. I'm fully aware I could just pirate this stuff, but I'm at a stage of my life where I can afford to subscribe to a bunch of services, and generally speaking, are happy they exist so I'm glad to support them. Especially when the metrics of my viewing might help the shows stay on the air, or prevent then from being bastardised to appeal to wider audiences.

I'm not being all high and mighty either. Younger me would have pirated the poo poo out of these. As for now, I don't really have enough time to watch all the shows on streaming that I'd like to, so I can just wait.

Australia also only has a couple of streaming services of any note and hasn't yet adopted the 'every provider has their own service' crap that the US has... Although that will change soon I expect.
Netflix seems to be pivoting towards "new registrations" to judge shows by, leading to the two season problem. It's giving me nightmares about pay-monthly sub management and trying to ensure that my subscription dates line up with poo poo I want to keep going, especially since the licencing angles for Ireland can get funky as Amazon learned this weekend.

So I just pirate poo poo instead basically half the time.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I do dread the time when we catch up to the American model of a zillion services - there was a time there for awhile where the US Netflix basically had just about everything you'd want. Then of course everyone wanted their piece of the pie and formed their own service.

Come to think of it, there's 4 Australian services now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Between my own and shared accounts, I have access to Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, HBO, and Amazon and I *still* have to :filez: poo poo because CBS and HBO's services are terrible and worse than just pirating things, plus gently caress you apple, just no

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally a semi-decent look at the Voyager-J (lmao) and the USS Nog

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1328759813061320705?s=21

So is the Voyager-J basically just the original ship’s concept model but futurized?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 17, 2020

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Cross-Section posted:

So is the Voyager-J basically just the original ship’s concept model but futurized?

You can tell it’s more advanced because it’s longer and thinner.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Basically. I’m still not sure if I like all the detached floating nacelles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically. I’m still not sure if I like all the detached floating nacelles.

It's definitely Futurey but also well within expected treknology even in the TNG era if anyone had thought it neccessary

I guess, what, though, each one has its own warp core?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

It's definitely Futurey but also well within expected treknology even in the TNG era if anyone had thought it neccessary

I guess, what, though, each one has its own warp core?

Or warp energy has gone wireless (conduit-less?). I guess it kinda makes sense to totally isolate a volatile and fragile part of your ship for safety reasons but it looks weird as hell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or warp energy has gone wireless (conduit-less?). I guess it kinda makes sense to totally isolate a volatile and fragile part of your ship for safety reasons but it looks weird as hell.

Nah, they'll each have their own core because that's where the dilithium is kept. And if you're worried about it All Exploding a second time with your new ship designs, that'd keep the actual ship safe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

TBF I'm on a couple private torrent trackers, and I've never, ever used a VPN, and never, ever gotten any sort of ISP warning, across like 15 years of using bittorrent.

Private trackers are great, right up until a lawyer for the studio manages to snag an invite, at which point they can see everyone's IP just like in a public swarm. A VPN is still a very good idea. (Avoid the shady services and go with a good one like Mullvad or Proton.)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

this photo is cracking me up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They should have one big reactor on a planet, like the starkiller base, and then put all the WARP PARTICLES in one of those containment canisters and fuel the ships with that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, they'll each have their own core because that's where the dilithium is kept. And if you're worried about it All Exploding a second time with your new ship designs, that'd keep the actual ship safe.
Now THIS is podracing!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry, where are you all seeing Voyager-J in that picture? I see Disco, Nog, and the ship Detmer calls out as "detached nacelles? Where do they put the warp core?":

e: oh lol the Twitter thumbnail cut off the top

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Private trackers are great, right up until a lawyer for the studio manages to snag an invite, at which point they can see everyone's IP just like in a public swarm. A VPN is still a very good idea. (Avoid the shady services and go with a good one like Mullvad or Proton.)

That seems like a very high-effort way to go about nailing people, and I gotta imagine if that happened the people getting letters would be the 1 uploader, not the 25,000 downloaders?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sorry, where are you all seeing Voyager-J in that picture? I see Disco, Nog, and the ship Detmer calls out as "detached nacelles? Where do they put the warp core?":

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1328761883709550593?s=20

Voyager-J has a convenient handle on the back.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope the detached nacelles on the voyager J still go up a little when it goes to warp

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah I missed it, the thumbnail here cuts off the top of the banner with Voyager on there.

Well, props to their design department for calling a spade a voyager, I guess

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/VulcanMonk/status/1328764430423879680

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Comedy option: detached nacelles were an attempt to get around "what happens if dilithium explodes again" by putting a smaller warp core in each nacelle.

The catch: they ran out of dilithium for testing; it doesn't actually work, and none of those ships are actually warp-capable. They're safe in case of a second Burn though!

e: "Detached nacelles? Where do they even put the warp core??"
"uhh, they just don't."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What do you think the odds are that Kurtzman also ripped off Final Space and when the Voy-J warps the nacelles do a spin around the hull first?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plot twist: Voyager-J is steam powered

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

McMahon spoiled it early in LDS, but all the ships go to warp like the DeLorean in Back to the Future now

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That seems like a very high-effort way to go about nailing people, and I gotta imagine if that happened the people getting letters would be the 1 uploader, not the 25,000 downloaders?

With bittorrent, there's really no difference between uploaders and downloaders, unless you've specifically configured your client never to seed at all (which is kind of a dick move, and will destroy your ratio if the private swarm keeps track of that). And all they have to do is have someone go around to the cool kids' swarms, snag a few invites, and boom, they can collect thousands of IPs to send extortionate letters to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's still a bridge window on top of Voyager-J, isn't it.

I'm pretty sure at this point they're just going 'gently caress you' to all the people who don't like it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusader posted:

this photo is cracking me up
I don’t like people in the future wearing glasses even one bit. Now these glasses look pretty much like mine, but with future medicine I sure as hell wouldn’t be wearing them. I guess this is a statement like Picard being proudly bald, but glasses aren’t just an aesthetic issue.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

That's still a bridge window on top of Voyager-J, isn't it.

I'm pretty sure at this point they're just going 'gently caress you' to all the people who don't like it.

it seemed so silly at the time but i'm missing the first contact "stare at the wall" design

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I don’t like people in the future wearing glasses even one bit. Now these glasses look pretty much like mine, but with future medicine I sure as hell wouldn’t be wearing them. I guess this is a statement like Picard being proudly bald, but glasses aren’t just an aesthetic issue.

He specifically mentions he thinks they make him look nice, though. Nobody from that time period has commented; could be it's an incredibly dorky quirk akin to wearing a pocketwatch/chain in 2020 and everyone makes fun of Cronenberg for them behind his back.

Powered Descent posted:

With bittorrent, there's really no difference between uploaders and downloaders, unless you've specifically configured your client never to seed at all (which is kind of a dick move, and will destroy your ratio if the private swarm keeps track of that). And all they have to do is have someone go around to the cool kids' swarms, snag a few invites, and boom, they can collect thousands of IPs to send extortionate letters to.

Oh yeah, I know how it works, it just seems like angry letters to teenagers would be a higher effort/lower reward thing than going after the actual uploaders.

Not to mention with the rising prevalence of VPNs, it just seems like more effort than it's worth.

Judging by how incredibly anal-retentive some of the private trackers are about uploads, I have to imagine the site admins are extremely On Their poo poo about this sort of thing anyway. One site I'm on, I'm literally the 2nd or 3rd-highest user class and I've still never gotten any invites to give out, even after like 10 years on there.

e: hell, I honestly wonder if any of the big studios even really care anymore. With games at least, 99% of the studios have realized that most of the time, piracy either has a negligible negative effect, or an actual net benefit when a bunch of pirates download an indie game, play it for 20 minutes and decide it's worth $20, and buy it.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure the Voyager J is my favorite ship design since the OG Enterprise, though I'd need to see it more clearly in action to be sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cingulate posted:

There really should be a whole thing in the next episode like "Wheelchair Guy? Come this way for two seconds so we can knit your spine together and you can get on with your day on your own two legs, no physical therapy needed. Detmer? Sit here, hold still, there's your head knitted back together and regrown properly like you never had cybernetic implants. Anyone else need basic repair work done?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I appreciate that with the detached floaty nacelles it can facilitate the same type of variable geometry up/down warp configuration that the OG Voyager hard, only even easier now because there's no limit to their range of motion.

Also as a big fan of the starship designs from Xenosaga I'm all aboard for "poo poo just randomly floating/rotating around the ship via gravity tethers". If Discovery keeps turning into live action Xenosaga, I might actually be won over into actually watching it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Oh yeah, I know how it works, it just seems like angry letters to teenagers would be a higher effort/lower reward thing than going after the actual uploaders.

Not to mention with the rising prevalence of VPNs, it just seems like more effort than it's worth.
Carrier-grade NAT has made it even harder to be sure who is doing what, but ISPs were never that good at keeping records of who had what IP when. I used to know someone who had pretentious "we don't even own a TV" parents and they got a letter from Metallica during the whole Napster fiasco without having a PC in the house. They framed it and put it up inside the door of the house to annoy their daughter's friends, many of whom were huge Metallica fans.