Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Man I’m so loving hyped for this new roadmap! The pace of development is sure to increase exponentially once it’s released. I can’t wait to track progress on “improved coffee steam effects v5” in near real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
sound..

https://i.imgur.com/trhT2OM.mp4

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Okay okay, we will give you the KEY to the ROUGH SKETCH MAP that will indicate the LOCATION of the DRAFT VERSION of WHAT WILL EVENTUALLY BECOME the Road Map.

Buy an Idiris, you ungrateful peasants.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

colonelwest posted:

Man I’m so loving hyped for this new roadmap! The pace of development is sure to increase exponentially once it’s released. I can’t wait to track progress on “improved coffee steam effects v5” in near real time.

All hands on deck for a roadmap. That we may not even be able to release by xmas.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, the exhausted team hands in the roadmap before a month off. Or maybe not.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

1 month after the roadmap they just start pushing stuff back again.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im so hype for the roadmap refactoring, this is gonna be loving amazing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Of course the first 4-6 weeks of the new year are set aside for "planning week" in which they scrap whatever roadmap they were following and rewrite it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

picturing the hell that is working 24/7 for months on the mess hall scene only to have chris flip out and scream at you because he can still tell it's a video game and having to go back to the drawing board

:trustme: I can still tell this guy here is not eating the food off his plate. It's just a loving animation!!!

:trustme: rm -rf messhallscene_v_53.8.992

:trustme: Let this be another lesson for you! Don't gently caress it up again!

<the rest of the 18 year old full sail academy grads> So uh... ok! Let's do it again guys!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

ha this is my chance to show my writing skillz, so if i was in the ci lore team i would come up with something like this:

the newcomer might wonder why X is not present in the galactic empire.
and when asking about it, be met with a bewildered stare.
well of course, back in the days the cities were full of X.
in fact the galactic empire totally mastered the production of Xes.
but the horrible incident at wolf 359, which caused the death of 27.000.000.000.000 civilians left a whole galaxy in collective shock.
and resulted in a galactic-wide ban of X.
ever since then, citizens shudder at even the idea of discussing X in a conversation.
so it is best not mentionned.

X = every idea you can find in any other scifi book/film/game

voila!

Meatballs.

:discourse:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Popete posted:

Of course the first 4-6 weeks of the new year are set aside for "planning week" in which they scrap whatever roadmap they were following and rewrite it.

:lol: also true

the roadmap debacle is just soo absurd.

I just cant make up incompotence this bad.

Its classic CIG to spend a year focusing on making everything look flashy and cool while neglaticing the core principles and basic functions of the thing they are trying to do.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

There's two sides of this roadmap and both are equally funny.

The first side is the backers who think this may be normal and good. They are dumb. :)

The second funny side is CIG is working super duper super hard to make a roadmap that can both be a thing they can point at to indicate vague direction to the backers while also simultaneously being a "roadmap" very much in air quotes that doesn't actually have a timeline associated with it.

I'm pretty darn sure CIG is bending over backwards to make something that both shows progress but also enables them to not meet goals and perceived "deadlines" or "milestones".

It can't be anything that implies they will have X done by Y time. :)

I've seen thousands of roadmaps, and most try to aim for certain weeks, but even the most vague targeted pieces for certain quarters of completion.

CIG being CIG, where the money is in never finishing, they got this extra bonus roadmap where it has to basically be a bunch of unrelated lines, with super complicated dependencies, and a complete lack of dating. :)

It's basically the kind of roadmap you would never show to your board, or try to display to investors and such. So it'll be super cute I'm sure.

And the super special alternative is they do put dates in, and then blow past all of them and nobody cares and everybody goes back to "don't put the devs in a box, their creative juices are sooo special and important! Give them all the time in the history of time to make this video game for children!"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Chris, what are your feelings on telling backers when something will be done?

I can't wait to see your new roadmap for your years-late, tremendously over-budget "space arcade game with 3D cutscenes between missions" game that hasn't been done since the 90's when it was old and boring even then! :grin:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Titanic posted:

I can't wait to see your new roadmap for your years-late, tremendously over-budget "space arcade game with 3D cutscenes between missions" game that hasn't been done since the 90's when it was old and boring even then! :grin:

lol that theranos poster

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol that theranos poster

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol that theranos poster

Fyre festival too :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

There should be some Enron stationary or something on the desk

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Even r/starcitizen seems to have had enough, at least on the roadmap nonsense. The comments are not favourable. I will die laughing if the inability to produce a roadmap that satisfies the backers but doesn’t also make commitments to the investors is their downfall.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

No matter how notmad they get they are never farther than a single punches above its weight sale away from letting Crobbler from absolve himself and I'm glad of it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

squirrelzipper posted:

Even r/starcitizen seems to have had enough, at least on the roadmap nonsense. The comments are not favourable. I will die laughing if the inability to produce a roadmap that satisfies the backers but doesn’t also make commitments to the investors is their downfall.

Nah that's just the status quo on /r/starcitizen. The die-hard whales posting endless screenshots of sunsets are not the same people losing faith in the roadmap threads. They pretty much might as well be in totally different subreddits.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

DreadUnknown posted:

Im so hype for the roadmap refactoring, this is gonna be loving amazing.

Did they ever finish that elevator panel? I hope it's featured on the new roadmap.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Did they ever finish that elevator panel? I hope it's featured on the new roadmap.

It will be and it will inexplicably have gone down 2% in progress.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah that's just the status quo on /r/starcitizen. The die-hard whales posting endless screenshots of sunsets are not the same people losing faith in the roadmap threads. They pretty much might as well be in totally different subreddits.

Huh, that does make sense, because the roadmap post was sandwiched between exactly that, meaningless screenshots.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you look at the CIG General forums it's completely filled with praise/criticism posts for the new MSR spaceship. Just goes to show most backers priorities is focused on their favourite pet ship and not the actual game itself.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The Titanic posted:

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Glossy Chris

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

WaltherFeng posted:

Glossy Chris

Now look here, towels, powder, and/or polarisation filters don't grow on trees. It's just not fixable.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

If you look at the CIG General forums it's completely filled with praise/criticism posts for the new MSR spaceship. Just goes to show most backers priorities is focused on their favourite pet ship and not the actual game itself.

That's one of the reasons I find it completely baffling that they have reduced new ship launches to two a year, at this point. I know Chris is a moron who has devoted all of his manpower to the movie-game that will never be released, but like- all you have to do to keep the whales who actually fund you happy is just give them endless crappy spaceship models. That's it! It has worked for 8 years and never once have they demanded anything more. Just keep doing it. But CIG can't even do that competently.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Citizen posted:

Thats not the focus of the new "roadmap". CGI is breaking so much new ground with SC. That includes transparency like this. People also must understand this is a long term investment. I imagine this will be here many years after release, be it in an, inevitably, evolved form.

Another Citizen posted:

CGO is really breaking new ground in roadmap technology, gotta agree

A Perplexed Citizen posted:

honestly can't tell if this is satire

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Righteous Citizen posted:

This isn't a teaser; it's hardly even an update. It's more of a reminder because people started talks about polishing their pitchforks yesterday.

Star Citizen will be continuously updated for the next 10 years. The roadmap is taking this long because they are putting a lot of work into it, because they want this new roadmap to finally be the last one they need to make, one that will stand the test of time.

A Fine Citizen posted:

They're developing the tools they need to make the roadmaps. Once the tools are in place all the future roadmaps will be easy!

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

phosdex posted:

All hands on deck for a roadmap. That we may not even be able to release by xmas.
Its also "Newly formatted". I for one applaud them for taking the necessary time to ensure maximum fidelity!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Star Citizen: Breaking new ground forever.
I mean it's not like that hole is gonna dig itself!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

That's one of the reasons I find it completely baffling that they have reduced new ship launches to two a year, at this point. I know Chris is a moron who has devoted all of his manpower to the movie-game that will never be released, but like- all you have to do to keep the whales who actually fund you happy is just give them endless crappy spaceship models. That's it! It has worked for 8 years and never once have they demanded anything more. Just keep doing it. But CIG can't even do that competently.

For realz!

That they can’t even bother with this, when it’s supposedly the secret of their improbable 8 year success, sure makes it look like there’s something else powering this turkey.

Remember when ATVs were such in-depth productions? It really felt like a studio-wide effort; the kind of chore that kept several people busy 40 hours a week to keep up with. Then after 2018, it just started to sputter and eventually gave way to the low-effort “Inside Star Citizen” on a part time basis.

It seemed a strange choice, but even so one at least would’ve guessed, “Well even if they’re disengaging with the community, as long as the ships keep coming maybe it won’t matter?”

Yet now the ship pipeline, too, is sputtering. The Roadmaps shrinking and dragging. Progress isn’t fueling demand, marketing isn’t fueling demand, new ships aren’t feeding demand at the pace they formerly did — yet the demand supposedly remains.

For what? By whom? And why?

What did the Calders invest in? A single player Star-packed title with aggressive projected launch sales? A monetization engine to turn digital assets into high margin revenues? A stealth enterprise for laundering money?

So much about CIG has made so little sense for so long, but truly, it has never made less sense than in 2020. And it’s harder than ever to figure out because they eventually figured out “Man we gotta stop talking so much, sharing so much, promising so much.” Bravo, CIG, you stopped beclowning yourself as often as you used to. (And Boo, too, because dang you guys got boring in the process!)

So yeah, the failure to even keep serving up ships (or ship IOUs) at a respectable pace is a real stumper. Why wouldn’t they do this when it’s gotten them so far, when it’s the very thing they did best and prioritized above all else?

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Remember when Chris said he made the new roadmap a priority at the beginning of the year?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Remember when Chris said

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nektu posted:

Its also "Newly formatted". I for one applaud them for taking the necessary time to ensure maximum fidelity!

Translation: Turbulent has been submitting dozens of CSS files per week and they keep getting the wrong shade of blue.

(Top tip: it's #204080)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

There's a reason this project is crowd funded. It's so that the management answers to himself only, not a higher publisher. He sets his own deadlines here. His name is Chris Roberts.

Everybody knows who he is when they pledge.

Not a cult.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

quote:

There's a reason this project is crowd funded. It's so that the management answers to himself only, not a higher publisher. He sets his own deadlines here. His name is Chris Roberts.

Everybody knows who he is when they pledge.

Chris Roberts is the reason I never pledged.

Alot
Oct 21, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I want X to be self-sealing stembolts
self-sealing stimbolts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
When is the eight year anniversary? Next week?