Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
shut the gently caress up about brown moses, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Many smoke detectors do, in fact, contain a small amount of Americium-241. There's obviously not enough in any given detector to be a substantial hazard to human health, but the joke is sound.

Let me assure you, a fire alarm's sound is no joke! :siren:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

So just to be clear, they built the house around the lines? :grovertoot:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Americium fire detectors continue to be the more sensitive option too, but newer ionization sensors allowed them to cut the amount from 80 microcuries to less than a hundredth that, as low as 0.29 microcuries.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 17, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ror posted:

Me pulling the lever to check out the hot new posts in the OSHA thread:

https://i.imgur.com/HKQ2MWH.gifv

He got the ol' spicy sucker punch

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sternum? drat near killed 'em

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

He got the ol' spicy sucker punch

He's lucky that guy grabbed him, he could've rolled back onto that....

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CommieGIR posted:

Americium fire detectors continue to be the more sensitive option too, but newer ionization sensors allowed them to cut the amount from 80 microcuries to less than a hundredth that, as low as 0.29 microcuries.

And even then, we don't spend a whole lot of time adjacent to smoke detectors. Radiation exposure decreases with the square of the distance, so having them on the ceiling also reduces exposure because of that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This poo poo always drives me crazy. You should only carry a tray with one hand, because a single pivot point is way easier to control. It's like balancing a broom on your hand, it's easy if you have the strength and balance the tray properly. Whenever people double-hand it it dramatically increases the wobble, because the hands will tend to desynchronize . No one who attempts a double-handed carry is qualified to attempt a carry that's big enough for them to attempt it double-handed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

And even then, we don't spend a whole lot of time adjacent to smoke detectors. Radiation exposure decreases with the square of the distance, so having them on the ceiling also reduces exposure because of that.

Yup, that and there's practically nothing in the way of Gamma from Americium daughter products, and the source is much more heavily shielded than older smoke detectors.

A good blog of an older 80 microcurie source: http://www.diyphysics.com/2013/01/20/80-%C2%B5ci-americium-241-sources-inside-old-pyrotronics-f35a-smoke-detectors/

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/mWNXLGk.mp4

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

What was supposed to happen, had he not fallen? Just fly in random directions until you crash into the ground?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's a parachute on the ground there, maybe it was meant to power that.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Slanderer posted:

Do you have a video demonstrating how you accidentally photoshop photos of "barrel bombs" to give pretext for attacking Syria? Or is that still in progress?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i messed up and thought this was after my warning sorry about that asked admins to un probe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bronze Fonz posted:

What was supposed to happen, had he not fallen? Just fly in random directions until you crash into the ground?

I think the throttle handle got caught on the car and it made him faceplant into the ground

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

There's a parachute on the ground there, maybe it was meant to power that.

Yeah, it's for powered paragliding, which seems like an osha topic of its own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbQ0xbbpOQ

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Is it normal to have a thimbleful of fuel in the tank like the guy in that video?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

well I guess whatever he was trying to do worked.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

So today I run a log report and notice a driver drive 70 miles off logs. I message him and he calls me:
"The NJ State Police told me to log out and drive"
"What?"
"At the crime scene"
"WHAT?"
"They said they made the exception because of the fatalities"
"WHAT???"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

So today I run a log report and notice a driver drive 70 miles off logs. I message him and he calls me:
"The NJ State Police told me to log out and drive"
"What?"
"At the crime scene"
"WHAT?"
"They said they made the exception because of the fatalities"
"WHAT???"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I kicked it up the chain of command and didn't touch it. I've been involved in editing logs for drivers who were later involved in fatalities and I really don't like being subpoenaed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I kicked it up the chain of command and didn't touch it. I've been involved in editing logs for drivers who were later involved in fatalities and I really don't like being subpoenaed.

I don't really understand your industry enough to know what anything he said means though

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, is this like a murder cover-up or some weird confusion caused by passing an accident?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm imagining he got stuck in traffic behind a fatal accident, by the time traffic was moving or he reached the accident site he was going to "time out" and need to take a log enforced break. There was nowhere to take a break so the cops gave him the golden ticket of turn the logs off and gtfo.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

zedprime posted:

I'm imagining he got stuck in traffic behind a fatal accident, by the time traffic was moving or he reached the accident site he was going to "time out" and need to take a log enforced break. There was nowhere to take a break so the cops gave him the golden ticket of turn the logs off and gtfo.

Which they are very much not supposed to do. There are very specific rules about exceptions and annotations that need to be entered in the record of duty status in a situation like this. The problem that we run into constantly is that the rules are extremely complicated but it's usually down to an uninformed officer's discretion in how they are applied or enforced. Unfortunately if the incident comes up in an FMCSA audit the excuse of "The cop said it was okay" won't fly.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

everydayfalls posted:

Whole lot of thread content in this gallery. . A few favorites:

i guess..

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Which they are very much not supposed to do. There are very specific rules about exceptions and annotations that need to be entered in the record of duty status in a situation like this. The problem that we run into constantly is that the rules are extremely complicated but it's usually down to an uninformed officer's discretion in how they are applied or enforced. Unfortunately if the incident comes up in an FMCSA audit the excuse of "The cop said it was okay" won't fly.
Out of curiosity, how much of it is "the cop said this was okay" vs. "the cop told me to get moving and I wasn't about to argue with him and risk getting carted off to jail"?

Because I'm white as hell and that last part strikes even me as a way to have a very bad night. Regardless whether I'm technically in the right, I can't imagine any company would take too well to having to bail out a driver and deal with whatever the gently caress it is they'd do with the truck.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Out of curiosity, how much of it is "the cop said this was okay" vs. "the cop told me to get moving and I wasn't about to argue with him and risk getting carted off to jail"?

Because I'm white as hell and that last part strikes even me as a way to have a very bad night. Regardless whether I'm technically in the right, I can't imagine any company would take too well to having to bail out a driver and deal with whatever the gently caress it is they'd do with the truck.

Most of the "Cop told me to do X" stories we get are conveniently misinterpreted so we tend to take them with a grain of salt. This situation was backed up with supporting documentation (our driver's statement to the police after witnessing the incident) so we made an exception and didn't really get on his case for it. Everything we did input and correct contained robust annotations, however.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Azhais posted:

Yeah, it's for powered paragliding, which seems like an osha topic of its own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbQ0xbbpOQ

hahaa that's Dell?! I've only ever heard rumors, haven't ever sought out any of his videos myself... small world.

edit: Google Dell Schanze for some insanity. Paragliders fall under FAA regulations rather than OSHA, but a lot of his garbage would fit this thread really well.

Sound Mr. Brown fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 18, 2020

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

I feel like this person just fuckin' sending it bud got overlooked

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Messadiah posted:

At the point they actually applied breaks, why bother? Fly home brotha

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

One orange barrel does not traffic control make.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Messadiah posted:

STUNT JUMP FAILED

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6h3EeYp.gifv

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nailed the apex.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

quote:

[Senator Collins:] It’s a great pleasure, thank you.

[Interviewer:] This car that was involved in the incident at the track this week this week…

[Senator Collins:] Yeah, the one the back fell off?

[Interviewer:] Yeah

[Senator Collins:] That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

[Interviewer:] Well, how is it untypical?

[Senator Collins:] Well, there are a lot of these cars going around the track all the time, and very seldom does anything like this happen … I just don’t want people thinking that cars aren’t safe.

[Interviewer:] Was this car safe?

[Senator Collins:] Well I was thinking more about the other ones…

[Interviewer:] The ones that are safe,,,

[Senator Collins:] Yeah,,, the ones the back doesn’t fall off.

[Interviewer:] Well, if this wasn’t safe, why did it have spectators right near it and a full tank of gas in it?

[Senator Collins:] Well, I’m not saying it wasn’t safe, it’s just perhaps not quite as safe as some of the other ones.

[Interviewer:] Why?

[Senator Collins:] Well, some of them are built so the back doesn’t fall off at all.

[Interviewer:] Wasn’t this built so the back wouldn’t fall off?

[Senator Collins:] Well, obviously not.

[Interviewer:] “How do you know?”

[Senator Collins:] Well, ‘cause the back fell off, and it went spinning around, threw sparks. It’s a bit of a give-away.” I would just like to make the point that that is not normal.

[Interviewer:] Well, what sort of standards are these cars built to?

[Senator Collins:] Oh, very rigorous … automotive engineering standards.

[Interviewer:] What sort of things?

[Senator Collins:] Well the back’s not supposed to fall off, for a start.

[Interviewer:] And what other things?

[Senator Collins:] Well, there are … regulations governing the materials they can be made of

[Interviewer:] What materials?

[Senator Collins:] Well, Cardboard’s out

[Interviewer:] And?

[Senator Collins:] …No cardboard derivatives…

[Interviewer:] Like paper?

[Senator Collins:]. … No paper, no string, no cellotape. …

[Interviewer:] Rubber?

[Senator Collins:] No, rubber’s out .. Um, They’ve got to have a steering wheel. There’s a minimum driver requirement.”

[Interviewer:] What’s the minimum criver?

[Senator Collins:] Oh,… a 16 year old, I suppose.

[Interviewer:] So, the allegations that they are just designed to go as fast as possible and to hell with the consequences, I mean that’s ludicrous…

[Senator Collins:] Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. These are very, very strong cars

[Interviewer:] So what happened in this case?

[Senator Collins:] Well, the back fell off in this case by all means, but that’s very unusual.

[Interviewer:] But Senator Collins, why did the back bit fall off?

[Senator Collins:] Well, it hit a bump.

[Interviewer:] It hit a bump?

[Senator Collins:] The car hit a bump.

[Interviewer:] Is that unusual?

[Senator Collins:] Oh, yeah… On a track? …Chance in a million.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Neutrino posted:

One orange barrel does not traffic control make.

Traffic should be able to control itself.

If wishes were horses though...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Getting Monty Python vibes from that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Getting Monty Python vibes from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

edit: Google Dell Schanze for some insanity. Paragliders fall under FAA regulations rather than OSHA, but a lot of his garbage would fit this thread really well.

Paramotors in fact are not regulated by the FAA, except inasmuch as you can't fly them in controlled airspace and so on. Neither you nor the equipment needs any sort of license or certification. Just strap it on and go nuts.

There sure are a lot of morons out there flying them, though, like this guy taking his paramotor up to 15,000 feet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8GlZBKLieo&t=2s

While it's technically legal for him to do that, it's stupid. At 15,000 feet normal airplanes are required to have transponders for ATC tracking and collision avoidance and the pilot is required to use supplemental oxygen. This guy has neither. He's a nearly-stationary object not in radio contact with anyone and carrying no transponder, floating around at an altitude where aircraft speeds are unlimited and no pilot is expecting to find a guy on a parachute just hanging out, while suffering from hypoxia and probably frostbite too. A++

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 18, 2020