Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

In retrospect after the first time Data took over the ship they should've popped his head on a little end table in front of the helm console and put a chopstick in his mouth to push buttons with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

alexandriao posted:

???????

There was a parasite infection that he was stabbing for her, he just didn't realise what it was at the time, iirc?

drat you're gonna make me revisit that episode aren't you

Yes, it was some kind of phasic parasite that he could pick up subconsciously

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the ship is also perfectly capable of hijacking itself

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Working on the Enterprise would rock because you could take a week and just go chill on the beach with a gallon of margaritas and some space weed and when you get back you just tell Riker that your brain got taken over by a 9th dimensional being and then you nod solemnly while Picard says that we’ve all learned a little something about the boundaries of consciousness and they never write you up

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

numberoneposter posted:

Well good for the bloody ship!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

poisonpill posted:

Working on the Enterprise would rock because you could take a week and just go chill on the beach with a gallon of margaritas and some space weed and when you get back you just tell Riker that your brain got taken over by a 9th dimensional being and then you nod solemnly while Picard says that we’ve all learned a little something about the boundaries of consciousness and they never write you up
I uhhhhhh had a Romulan mind wipe....and uhhhhhhhhhh...

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Troi would be all “I sense no deception” and Riker would have your back even if he didn’t believe you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

alexandriao posted:

???????

There was a parasite infection that he was stabbing for her, he just didn't realise what it was at the time, iirc?

Is that really better?

No, you see, there's an invisible parasite that only I can see on you and I need to stab it out with this engineering tool

numberoneposter posted:

Constantly. By the time they add the holodeck the ship is basically an old school djinn, everyone has to be extra careful phrasing requests lest it do something bugfuck nuts

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 18, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Constantly. By the time they add the holodeck the ship is basically an old school djinn, everyone has to be extra careful phrasing requests lest it do something bugfuck nuts

honestly they love it. tee-he-he i hope you don't misinterpret my instructions and manifest a hyper intelligent being what engages me in a psycho-sexual dance of death. i would just hate that

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

people get very bored in the future

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

alexandriao posted:

???????

drat you're gonna make me revisit that episode aren't you

You are right, there really was a parasite there

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

turning Bareil into a dickless robot

No one, not even Kira, noticed any difference there though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have replaced the half of Bariel's brain with Kurn's since Kurn want using it no more

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Didn’t Worf, and by extension his whole family, get accepted to the house of Martok not too long after they mind wiped Kurn?

*slide whistle*

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I not really comfortable with blaming Data for taking control of the ship because he literally had no choice in the matter.

Is that really better?

No, you see, there's an invisible parasite that only I can see on you and I need to stab it out with this engineering tool

It was also the storyline/episode where he was experimenting with dreams, too, right?

He wasn't conscious, he was sleepwalking, and I think everyone there understood he wouldn't have stabbed her under normal or the majority of abnormal circumstances.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

honestly they love it. tee-he-he i hope you don't misinterpret my instructions and manifest a hyper intelligent being what engages me in a psycho-sexual dance of death. i would just hate that

It's a break from the Holodeck orgies they do every weekend

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Didn’t Worf, and by extension his whole family, get accepted to the house of Martok not too long after they mind wiped Kurn?

*slide whistle*

Like two episodes afterwards, yes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

alexandriao posted:

It's a break from the Holodeck orgies they do every weekend
the big D just smells like sex

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Nerima in Tokyo has a pretty fuckin' Starfleet logo/crest/seal

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
data being taken over and taking over the ship in turn would be a big deal except that happens all the time to all the biological crew, too.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The Soong androids are in early access. User feedback is required. Our user end license agreement states that any actions taken by the android are experimental. Any action taken by the android, authorized or otherwise, are required to be reported to the positronic framework for further development.

Click OK to continue.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I like how Pulaski said his name wrong on purpose.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I like how Pulaski said his name wrong on purpose.

I still hate Pulaski for degrading him so often. In the Moriarty episode she almost outright stated he wasn't a person.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He's not!

He's *better*

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Yeah it was real clumsy and felt regressive from where they'd already landed with Data's personhood.

Still, at least she was interesting. Things I can remember about Beverley:

1) Dead husband
2) Annoying son
3) Ghost candle sex
4) Worf sprayed acid in her face
5) Was present in the scene where Picard does the weirdest laugh in the world

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Actually okay Beverley, you were alright. You were boring as hell as a character but interesting things happened to and around you

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the dancing doctor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

alexandriao posted:

I not really comfortable with blaming Data for taking control of the ship because he literally had no choice in the matter.

It was also the storyline/episode where he was experimenting with dreams, too, right?

He wasn't conscious, he was sleepwalking, and I think everyone there understood he wouldn't have stabbed her under normal or the majority of abnormal circumstances.

Sure, sure. The android does weird poo poo and sometimes randomly stabs people or hijacks the ship under "suspicious" circumstances. This is fine. We work with this guy every day and we know he's got our back, unless it's one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, it's not just Data, any given member of the command crew might get "mind controlled" or "possessed by and alien entity" or "bodily replaced by an exact duplicate" or whatever and just phaser you down in the hallway one day. I can't imagine working for Starfleet HR

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 18, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sure, sure. The android does weird poo poo and sometimes randomly stabs people or hijacks the ship under "suspicious" circumstances. This is fine. We work with this guy every day and we know he's got our back, unless it's one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, it's not just Data, any given member of the command crew might get "mind controlled" or "possessed by and alien entity" or "bodily replaced by an exact duplicate" or whatever and just phaser you down in the hallway one day. I can't imagine working for Starfleet HR

Starfleet doesn't have HR, it has Admirals that are mind controlled by aliens!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh cos the rest of the crews never get possessed by aliens.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Crusher also gets yeeted into the ocean at the start of Generation.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

CainFortea posted:

Crusher also gets yeeted into the ocean at the start of Generation.

Not funny, Data.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it was actually funny

why do they lie to the robot man

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It is kind of funny/sad that you could've left Crusher out of every movie and they'd be like 95% the same.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

GolfHole posted:

it was actually funny

why do they lie to the robot man

Yeah I saw that film as a kid and was super baffled why it was funny to dunk Worf but not her

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

It's the writers' way of telling you they don't understand what the fans want. It was nice of them to do it so early in the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I saw that film as a kid and was super baffled why it was funny to dunk Worf but not her

The writers don't know what makes Data funny even if Brent Spiner does.

Joe Piscapo is the height of comedy on the Enterprise D but the actual joke that flew past the writers is that Brent Spiner is making fun of Joe Piscapo.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

No. Joe was the height of comedy on late 20th century earth.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It was even funnier to dunk Crusher, ffs

It's the holodeck, ain't nobody drowning, lighten up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise D's computer is the one with the sense of humor because when data asked it to show him comedy it gave him Joe Piscopo