Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Morrow posted:

The answer is he was pumped full of steroids, which made him feel fantastic until they started to wean him off them and now he feels terrible.

They gave him a big fat shot in his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

How do you avoid making predictions that will never come to pass? Do you just ask a bunch of questions? Do you force your followers to make their own own interpretations, thereby absolving you of burden? Is the Socratic method the key to keeping this whole charade going? More coming?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/rop_g/status/1328571678008504325

A thread about how a Dutch guy suddenly got a ton of Qanon followers because he wrote a book about hacking ('kraken') in the 1980's.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The right wing penchant for 'press magic button' and then everything is going to be good is troubling.

It smacks of deus-ex-machina.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's not surprising, the one thread through all right-wing politics is "easy solutions to complex problems".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is literally what it is for a lot of them, a lot of them perceive the world in terms of some storybook/biblical struggle which is resolved by the divinely mandated victory of good over evil.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

indiscriminately posted:

I think the current consensus is that deQing someone through argument/evidence is ineffective generally because these beliefs are irrational so can't be argued away. The beliefs are part of one's identity and tethered to one's grievances/insecurities and to a deep-rooted but perhaps unconscious faith in magical realism.

You might try the excellent Folding Ideas video from a few days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

I'm curious how it would land for shallowly pilled Q follower. The narrator has such an approachable, reasonable, nonthreatening presentation, he might be able to slip his message past a cultist's emotional defenses if they're only weakly reinforced.

I'll look at this, thank you!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah I really like this video, I think it gets to the heart of why conspiracy theories are so popular and why you can't logic them away

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Murgos posted:

The right wing penchant for 'press magic button' and then everything is going to be good is troubling.

It smacks of deus-ex-machina.

I mean i think theres those from many walks of life who do. Look how many people went hard for Biden convinced their problems would be fixed once orange man was out of office.

(This isnt addressing people who thought itd at least be an improvement but the die hards who saw Joe as a messianic figure and argued anyone besmirching his name was letting trump win).

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean i think theres those from many walks of life who do. Look how many people went hard for Biden convinced their problems would be fixed once orange man was out of office.

(This isnt addressing people who thought itd at least be an improvement but the die hards who saw Joe as a messianic figure and argued anyone besmirching his name was letting trump win).

I haven't seen anyone who treats Biden the way people treat Trump. Stop with the both sides poo poo. One side has a cult of personality and the other side are normal boring humans.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Where are these people because I haven't seen any of that here.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I have never met or seen any diehard Biden people anywhere online or otherwise.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's less specifically Biden and more the general implication: Asking "Do you want four more years of this?" implies "Once Trump is out the problems we're currently facing will just go away."

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm a Brit so it's not really my thing but Biden seems like a reasonably sane and competent politician with no distinguishing features other than not being a giant orange tantrum prone toddler. He probably won't alienate all your allies, worldwide organisations like WHO or constantly risk war by retweeting some crazy conspiracy theory at Iran or North Korea or China or whoever.

I've not seen any Biden worship at all (from this side of the pond) he's just not obviously way out of his depth and lashing out at anyone who disagree's with him or is the wrong colour or a girl.

Nobody thinks he's going to fix everything, he just won't immediately worsen everything. Unlike Trump.

Similar to Boris Johnson, once we give him the boot we'll probably get some character free career politician in who's a really safe pair of hands while we recover from all the trauma of Johnsons idiocy.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

nah posted:

I have never met or seen any diehard Biden people anywhere online or otherwise.

I know one. She is from Delaware and Biden's a little left for her, but he's some kind of appealing sex beast or whatever.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Morningwoodpecker posted:

I've not seen any Biden worship at all (from this side of the pond) he's just not obviously way out of his depth and lashing out at anyone who disagree's with him or is the wrong colour or a girl.

And that’s how it should be. Treating politicians like celebrities puts them into the same kind of untouchable safe spaces that celebrities live in.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

hanales posted:

And that’s how it should be. Treating politicians like celebrities puts them into the same kind of untouchable safe spaces that celebrities live in.

I think the bigger problem is that we've taken to treating celebrities like politicians.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I think the bigger problem is that we've taken to treating celebrities like politicians.

Are you the Sphinx from mystery men

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm sorry did you ignore the entire election cycle? "Listen fat" was a meme for a while and not the only time he did this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/05/joe-biden-iowa-voter-fat

He also notably told a voter that if he didn't like his immigration policy then "vote for trump"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/22/joe-biden-tells-immigration-activist-you-should-vote-trump/4273814002/

I'm not saying Biden isn't an improvement, but there was a lot of proselytizing that we could go back to 2008 if we just got biden in and could pretend this whole sordid affair didn't happen, and especially the crowd who wouldn't allow any sleight against him lest we let trump win. They need to see him as immaculate.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 17, 2020

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm sorry did you ignore the entire election cycle? "Listen fat" was a meme for a while and not the only time he did this.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/05/joe-biden-iowa-voter-fat

He also notably told a voter that if he didn't like his immigration policy then "vote for trump"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/22/joe-biden-tells-immigration-activist-you-should-vote-trump/4273814002/

I'm not saying Biden isn't an improvement, but there was a lot of proselytizing that we could go back to 2008 if we just got biden in and could pretend this whole sordid affair didn't happen, and especially the crowd who wouldn't allow any sleight against him lest we let trump win. They need to see him as immaculate.

I'm not seeing anyone who see's Biden as immaculate, adequate would be a better term. I've told people he's beyond reproach but only because they were swivel eyed far right types and I (rightly) though it would annoy them.

The messianic and satanic stuff seems to be only on the right in America.

Not so much here in Blighty there was a bit of a cult of Corbyn on the left but that was more about them thinking he represented a radical swing to the left rather than any personal qualities and it fizzled out as he was totally unelectable. Just as with Trump he was defended no matter how useless he was and any hint of not worshipping at his altar was considered verboten.

Religion very rarely pops up in anything other than lunatic fringe UK politics as its considered a total election stopper, like being gay in American politics. Blair actually hid his religion to get elected.

hanales posted:

Are you the Sphinx from mystery men

But Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I definitely saw an unironic "Here's the Diamond Joe I love" tweet from a pundit, but it's otherwise gone from my memory. There was definitely a section of the pundit class and wannabe pundits on Twitter who thought Biden would be a savior and restore the mythical Age of Obama, and for a brief time there was a strain of unbelievably dumb people who thought the Onion Joe Biden was real. That drifted away steadily as the primaries progressed and the election went on, partly because Biden made it pretty impossible to pretend he was anything other than a manifestation of the generic democrat. Trump plays into the strong man/rage machine image to keep the fires going.

To keep this from being a Biden shitpost, it's similar to the issue QAnon is facing with Trump right now. Him running away to impotently rage tweet and file incompetent lawsuits was a bad look and harshly contrasted with their vision of him. Disappearing from the public eye to go golfing was rough and they had to work overtime to push the "He's golfing to show us just how confident he is in the win!" Even Alex Jones slid in a bit of ranting that Trump wasn't giving them the leadership they needed in this moment as he tried to whip people up for the DC rally. QAnon and the conspiracy right may wind up more damaged than I would have expected from the loss because Trump took his ball and went home.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-mom-arrested-for-murder-of-fringe-legal-theorist-in-florida?ref=author

well gently caress, some qanon mom just capped a sov cit nut she was working with to seize custody of her children

was it because he was completely ineffectual, or because he was a loving creep around? who knows

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-mom-arrested-for-murder-of-fringe-legal-theorist-in-florida?ref=author

well gently caress, some qanon mom just capped a sov cit nut she was working with to seize custody of her children

was it because he was completely ineffectual, or because he was a loving creep around? who knows

I'm a little worried about these growing Q and Sov Cit networks. There were similar networks (including the E-Clause people) that enabled that woman who went on the run after her plan to try to raid a foster home was exposed: https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-incited-her-to-kidnap-her-son-and-then-hid-her-from-the-law. It sounds similar to what was being built up in the lead up to the Oklahoma City bombing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sounds like they'll kill each other tbqh

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

And also other people who are innocent. Even if they were just murdering each other, just because you’re a kook doesn’t mean you deserve to die.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
most people are murdered or abused by people they already know, so a bit of q on q violence was inevitable

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm a little worried about these growing Q and Sov Cit networks. There were similar networks (including the E-Clause people) that enabled that woman who went on the run after her plan to try to raid a foster home was exposed: https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-incited-her-to-kidnap-her-son-and-then-hid-her-from-the-law. It sounds similar to what was being built up in the lead up to the Oklahoma City bombing.

I definitely know a sovcit fam that was on the lam for years then busted by an interstate police operation and the kids are now off who-knows-where and the kind but foolish parents are distraught and facing serious prison time.

And I get the impression it's not a unique narrative.

[I taught the oldest daughter how to chop wood and got her to read "Sophie's world" before her world fell further apart]

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Uglycat posted:

I definitely know a sovcit fam that was on the lam for years then busted by an interstate police operation and the kids are now off who-knows-where and the kind but foolish parents are distraught and facing serious prison time.

And I get the impression it's not a unique narrative.

[I taught the oldest daughter how to chop wood and got her to read "Sophie's world" before her world fell further apart]

On the one hand sovcits are a hilarious joke, on the other hand, so is the "real law".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Phobophilia posted:

The gingham dog and the calico cat...

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

exmachina posted:

Yeah I really like this video, I think it gets to the heart of why conspiracy theories are so popular and why you can't logic them away

Agreed.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

A bootlegger-and-baptist alliance of Q-pilled "save the children" mothers and actual child molesters scamming who are scamming them into gaining access to their children on these farms is an irony that's just a bit too misanthropic for my taste.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

exmachina posted:

I watched it too now and agree with this, thanks!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know if Trump is going to arrest Hilary he's rapidly running out of time!

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
She was executed years ago then cloned so the deep state didn't realize Trump had blown their gaff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

Look look, Trump needs to go into hiding for 4 years, let the heat blow over before striking back in 2024. This is all part of the plan.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

Whenever the subject of Hillary's criminal status comes up all I hear is Yakkety Sax playing. Republicans have literally been chasing her and her husband since the late 80's with the entire resources of the US government on their side and all they've managed so far was Billy getting his pole smoked by a chubby intern with bad hair.

The absurdity of it should have destroyed the Republican party three times over by now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Murgos posted:

and all they've managed so far was Billy getting his pole smoked by a chubby intern with bad hair.

And got Trump elected. Don't underestimate the massive voting power of Hillary H8ters - or, the power of their delusion, at least.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Trump put his brain in Clone Biden's body to outwit the Deep State's election rigging!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And got Trump elected. Don't underestimate the massive voting power of Hillary H8ters - or, the power of their delusion, at least.

Sure. My point was the Keystone Cops nature of the criminal investigations. The Republican propaganda arm has made hay off the Clinton's. In a rational world though the lack of follow through should have been party ending. Once you have put that much emphasis on something having it not come true should be debilitating.

But, I suppose the Q phenomena shows that climax can be delayed indefinitely as long as you think you might get there eventually.