Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Why on Earth would this be the case? I never liked management types, but now I'm convinced most of them are sociopaths.

Oh, that's the point: they wouldn't have been. They were just making poo poo up on the spot in the hopes we'd stop pressing the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

Well on the plus side, most people are going to have to spend less money on Christmas presents this year
Yeah, are there reports like this from other countries? I realize most places are loving up covid pretty bad, but the whole "doubting the disease even as their lungs fill with jello" thing seems only to be possible in an environment with an aggressively denialist cult leader like ours. I literally can't imagine how he could have hosed things up more, short of sending in the military to force people to congregate indoors or something.

My kid is in Glasgow and they're shutting everything down today, Bars, restaurants and shops are closed (take out is OK). They have an infection rate of 270 per 100K population. Here in St. Louis the infection rate is 970 per 100K and starting today restaurants are limited to 25% of capacity. Restaurant owners are going to sue the county government to get the restrictions lifted.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

'Management' as far as that is even a job consists of the same tedious box ticking that everyone else does only it's about your staff instead of your product

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Strategic Tea posted:

'Management' as far as that is even a job consists of the same tedious box ticking that everyone else does only it's about your staff instead of your product

Excuse me if you’re staff is managers then you get to label and choose the colour of the boxes before ticking them

:sludgepal:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Excuse me if you’re staff is managers then you get to label and choose the colour of the boxes before ticking them

:sludgepal:

One of my old jobs thought that just putting the word manager in someone's title made them automatically salary exempt, regardless of other factors like yearly salary or responsibilities. Even the lowest level call center positions in the company were "Customer Service Managers". Eventually they realized this was incorrect and undid it while also laying off a ton of people.

When I left, they were trying out a different way of doing the same thing where teams were being recognized into linear or circular hierarchies to accomplish the same goal.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I know this is an old article, but I'm hearing about 25% capacity in stores restrictions are being turned back on: https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-will-count-shoppers-limit-how-many-can-enter-2020-4

quote:

Starting Saturday, Walmart stores will allow no more than five customers for each 1,000 square feet of space. The restrictions will keep the stores at roughly 20% of their capacity, the company said. The average Walmart store is about 180,000 square feet. About 900 shoppers would be permitted in a store that size under the new restrictions.

100% capacity is huge. 25% may be a normal day for a lot of places. I'm sure these are more like 125% but think about Walmart on black friday, people getting trampled. Or for a bar it's people rear end-to-dick on St Patrick's Day.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

wilderthanmild posted:

One of my old jobs thought that just putting the word manager in someone's title made them automatically salary exempt, regardless of other factors like yearly salary or responsibilities. Even the lowest level call center positions in the company were "Customer Service Managers". Eventually they realized this was incorrect and undid it while also laying off a ton of people.

When I left, they were trying out a different way of doing the same thing where teams were being recognized into linear or circular hierarchies to accomplish the same goal.

The latest trend in large companies is calling everyone a loving consultant internally “Customer Service Consultant”

The trick is to call their manager a supervisor and make them do the same job and then you can get away with giving them more responsibility for results and none of the pay to make it worthwhile

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
This seems like really good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint
Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

Herd immunity plan back on?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Three weeks ago my boss went in to have a stint put in his heart. Later that week he came up positive for covid. Early last week he was hit with double pneumonia. Today he came into work for a short bit.

He said he was no longer contagious (which I assumed ) Then he said that Covid was just a virus and that it wouldn't have hit him as bad if he hadn't been fasting for the surgery. He also said he was now immune from covid. He then told me that Covid was a man made virus and that it was designed for population control.

I held my tongue but I kept thinking that he needs to change where he gets his information.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

This seems like really good news:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint
Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

Seems to fly in the face of people getting it more than once within months, but I guess that's why they used the word may in the title. I sure hope a vaccine provides immunity for years, it may be our only chance to get rid of this thing.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rexxed posted:

Seems to fly in the face of people getting it more than once within months, but I guess that's why they used the word may in the title. I sure hope a vaccine provides immunity for years, it may be our only chance to get rid of this thing.

To my understanding so far those cases seem to be rare, else we would be seeing a lot more of it by now.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Vaccines may not even get rid of it. If it finds a permanent animal reservoir (like it did with minks recently) that we can’t or won’t eradicate, it would become a permanent disease. I suppose if it does that with cats and our options are kill all cats or die we’re hosed.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

To my understanding so far those cases seem to be rare, else we would be seeing a lot more of it by now.

Aren't they mostly rare because it's only those cases where they get infected by another strain? it's hard to differentiate between someone that never got rid of the virus and had a flare-up and some that was free of it then got the same strain again

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am less worried about cats and dogs as a reservoir since it seems like China didn't have issues with that. Minks or some other animal, who knows.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Illinois is going to "Tier 3" mitigation. I don't think this will do enough, and the chud plague rats down here will ignore it anyways.

https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-mitigation-plan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

"Herd immunity" without a vaccine means "everybody caught it". That's not really a "plan".

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Crackbone posted:

It's happening in other countries, pretty sure Germany just had an anti-lockdown protest a couple weeks ago. It's just not as huge because they don't have the ruling political party telling them it's a hoax.
Yeah, it's not the anti-lockdown chuds that I'm thinking of so much as the people who literally refuse to believe it's real as they are taking their final, extremely labored breaths due to it.

Fried Watermelon posted:

They rolled back a measure of you aren't allowed to visit people outside of your household because they said it would be too hard to enforce

twit666 posted:

My kid is in Glasgow and they're shutting everything down today, Bars, restaurants and shops are closed (take out is OK). They have an infection rate of 270 per 100K population. Here in St. Louis the infection rate is 970 per 100K and starting today restaurants are limited to 25% of capacity. Restaurant owners are going to sue the county government to get the restrictions lifted.
:tif:

Guy Axlerod posted:

100% capacity is huge. 25% may be a normal day for a lot of places. I'm sure these are more like 125% but think about Walmart on black friday, people getting trampled. Or for a bar it's people rear end-to-dick on St Patrick's Day.
So between no economic stimulus and mandated distancing for covid even during the holiday shopping season, brick-and-mortar retail is turbo-hosed isn't it?

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Vaccines may not even get rid of it. If it finds a permanent animal reservoir (like it did with minks recently) that we can’t or won’t eradicate, it would become a permanent disease. I suppose if it does that with cats and our options are kill all cats or die we’re hosed.
I think cats aren't great at transmitting it to humans. Minks evidently are. But regardless, you're right that an animal reservoir means this will be around indefinitely, maybe forever. I think the ship has sailed on this virus not being endemic at this point. A good vaccine is our only real hope at this point; fortunately there's been some good news on this front.

Jabor posted:

"Herd immunity" without a vaccine means "everybody caught it". That's not really a "plan".
It's horror movie levels of death and suffering, even beyond what we've already seen.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

i'm working in a funeral home while all this has been going on, and as exhausting as it has been for us on the receiving end of things i have no idea how medical professionals/first responders are still going at this point, i literally sit at a desk and field phone calls all day and i've been running on fumes since August.

but i can speak to the denial being seriously real too; i've literally had the family of a deceased person in our care call me up hollering, all pissed off and screaming for an amendment to their death certificate because it listed COVID as cause of death and they didn't want it there because they truly genuinely believed it was coincidental to them dying. Like their papaw's 2 week hospital stay on a ventilator slowly watching their o2 drop down past levels consistent with continued living was just from his diabetes and the COVID didn't have anything to do with it. What it really is is people being ashamed of the proof of their idiocy undeniably printed in black and white on a legal document for all time

what really pisses me off is when people who know they have COVID insist on coming into the funeral home and meeting with directors/staff face to face because they don't like phone/email. i don't care and neither does my elderly mom who I love very much and live with and haven't been able to spend time with in months because my job pays our bills and endangers her life at the same time. stay the gently caress at home, wear your drat mask OVER YOUR NOSE TOO and learn how to use your smartphone.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
It's mind-boggling to listen to someone tell you "the reason the virus is spreading so much is it takes too long to get the tests back," after mentioning they had attended a family gathering of 30 people and all of them needed to get tested, and it was now really inconvenient that one of them did not get the result back. Some of the family tested positive. All of them need to be isolating.

Testing times. Not holding or attending gatherings. This person told me testing times make the virus spread.

If I drank this job would have killed my liver by now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ny roommate is 100% convinced that Trump will hold the vaccine's distribution here in the US back unless he's allowed to keep the presidency in January.

He's been on this "Trump wants to be the only president we have ever and will be dictator for life. Just watch." conspiracy theory for years now.

Of course, NYT isn't helping with their shoddy constant reports of Trump every time he breathes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Blue Q and the Khive becoming creepy president deathwatchers will absolutely be a thing, but that's rather offtopic here.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
As they say, we'll have big family Thanksgivings and small Christmas funerals

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ny roommate is 100% convinced that Trump will hold the vaccine's distribution here in the US back unless he's allowed to keep the presidency in January.

He's been on this "Trump wants to be the only president we have ever and will be dictator for life. Just watch." conspiracy theory for years now.

Of course, NYT isn't helping with their shoddy constant reports of Trump every time he breathes.

Your roomie isn't wrong that Trump wants to be a dictator but he's wrong if he thinks Trump is capable of making it so.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BlackIronHeart posted:

Your roomie isn't wrong that Trump wants to be a dictator but he's wrong if he thinks Trump is capable of making it so.

:hai:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Currently in the front office at work, waiting for the other crew to show up so we can all watch a training video. Probably been here 25 minutes now. Me and one other person are wearing masks. It's 15 people in a small room.

The other crew just got here in masks and took them off.
gently caress this.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
please say it's ventilated

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

ICHIBAHN posted:

please say it's ventilated

LOL

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

I mean I don't doubt for a second that he would launch a coup if anyone would support him.

Remember when Mattis was still around, and allegedly Trump tried to get him alone, asking 'so are you guys with me, you know, if it comes to it, you know, if the chips are down' and got told to gently caress off?

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Jabor posted:

I'm not serious but if immunity lasts for decades it would be possible. If immunity lasts a year then it's not possible.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I'm not serious but if immunity lasts for decades it would be possible. If immunity lasts a year then it's not possible.

It really won't work either way. Infection rates go way down as there are less people to infect so community spread happens continually for years. The other thing is new humans are added to the mix (babies) who are not immune eventually tilting the scales towards the virus again.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

These people know. They show up in the hospital and are given a positive result while they watch their oxygen dive and they know. They realize in that moment that everything they believed about this disease was a lie and that not only does that mean they are going to die because of their stupidity, but if they were wrong about this they were wrong about all the other beliefs that exist in the same venn diagram which means they are a horrible person. Their brain short circuits because very few people are strong enough mentally to accept something of that magnitude and they double down. They become angry. They reach and grasp for anything else that would allow them to not have to admit this to themselves, but all the while deep down they know and the fear ramps up exponentially until they are put under to go on a vent.

As horrible as that sounds I don't have an iota of sympathy. It's a good thing I am not a health care provider because I would probably whisper something to that effect into their ears right before they went under. gently caress those people.
wanting people to die horribly and actively fantasizing about making their deaths more horrible, but leftistly

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Tea posted:

Someone insisting it's not real as they cough up their own lung should absolutely be quarantined in a room and left to die, unless the doctors have surplus equipment and nothing else to do.

Their continued existence is actively harmful to society in an emergency situation.
what the gently caress is wrong with goons?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

your right let's be more sympathetic to the people causing death and suffering to themselves and others and be more critical of people saying actually these assholes who are killing themselves, their friends and their families deserve to die

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've had it with herd immunity. i think what we all need now is turd immunity

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Achtane posted:

Currently in the front office at work, waiting for the other crew to show up so we can all watch a training video. Probably been here 25 minutes now. Me and one other person are wearing masks. It's 15 people in a small room.

The other crew just got here in masks and took them off.
gently caress this.

Just leave.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

John Heard will not save us. He died in 2017.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

i've had it with herd immunity. i think what we all need now is turd immunity

never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBgwfyOyN4

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

greazeball posted:

your right let's be more sympathetic to the people causing death and suffering to themselves and others and be more critical of people saying actually these assholes who are killing themselves, their friends and their families deserve to die

No one wakes up some morning and consciously decides to be a reality-denying right-wing death cultist. These people are victims of propaganda (among other things). Yes, having a little sympathy for them is a more virtuous use of emotional energy than is wallowing in torture fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

indiscriminately posted:

No one wakes up some morning and consciously decides to be a reality-denying right-wing death cultist. These people are victims of propaganda (among other things). Yes, having a little sympathy for them is a more virtuous use of emotional energy than is wallowing in torture fantasy.

It's not a fantasy. Triage is already happening and if I was making those calls, the person who is screaming between coughs that it's a hoax and we're all a bunch of pussies for wearing masks is going to go to the bottom of my list for the next available ventilator.