Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Goddamn, this is tempting

Big screen, but I'd only get that for a bonus room or something. the H6 series is prettttty low end for Hisense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Goddamn, this is tempting
No idea what that model is like, but there's also this to consider:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1328203044127866881

Black Friday is gonna have a few deals like this in various places.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Big screen, but I'd only get that for a bonus room or something. the H6 series is prettttty low end for Hisense.

Damnit I saw "10G" on it and thought it was one of the nicer ones.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Damnit I saw "10G" on it and thought it was one of the nicer ones.

Ha, just look at the first number. Anything below an 8 is going to be relegated to garage/bedroom/bonus room.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TCL 75" 4 series TV for $500
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75-class-4-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-android-tv/6424069.p?skuId=6424069

Only available in-store in select areas it seems

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Question IRL posted:

I tried reading the Audio thread. It's main post hasn't been updated since 2013, and after reading 20 plus pages I had no idea what Audio receivers one could buy, let alone how good any of them were. Some of them go into extensive derails about how good the cables you buy need to be.
It's so off putting and mystifying that people will gladly just go with a Soundbar and be like "cool, this sounds good. And I can ask it to stream songs from Spotify. That's awesome."
I'm one of those people who knows nothing about audio anything and wants someone to hold their hand and tell them what to buy and all of that stuff. Doing research on my own is fine, but I'm not ready to devote hours of my life learning audiophile minutiae and custom-speccing the finest bleeding-edge setup. I've got a budget that I'm semi-flexible on and I just want something that sounds good.

Like with this thread, you guys were super-helpful in recommending a TV and I'm really looking forward to getting it, I think it's going to do exactly what I want it to do and I'm not breaking the bank to do it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

Ha, just look at the first number. Anything below an 8 is going to be relegated to garage/bedroom/bonus room.

Yeah, the only exception is TCL, who still uses 6 as their highest/second highest SKU designation (not sure if they're updating their 8 series yet).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, the only exception is TCL, who still uses 6 as their highest/second highest SKU designation (not sure if they're updating their 8 series yet).

Well I was just talking specifically to Hisense...but it does seem to carry across the board now that you mention it (except for TCL)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And Vizio. I think the M series is their only line that's spaced out with numbered SKUs, ranging from 5 to 8, though rtings is the only publication I've seen notice that they even have different models within it

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
For what it’s worth, I bought the new vizio elevate soundbar when it was on early Black Friday sale for $700 to complement the new CX, and I love it.
I really did not want to bother with a complicated audio setup, so the soundbar was an obvious solution. The surround and atmos speakers are crystal clear, as is dialogue. The subwoofer is excellent. There are no wires to run in the middle of my living room. I’m quite happy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I know this isn't the thread for it, but what's the minimum I can expect to spend on a not-poo poo soundbar if I'm pairing it with a Hisense H8G and a Sony UBP-X700 4k player? I mean a soundbar might not be the way to go as an "upgrade", but I'm exploring my options. Right now I'm running this kit.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Xenomrph posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it, but what's the minimum I can expect to spend on a not-poo poo soundbar if I'm pairing it with a Hisense H8G and a Sony UBP-X700 4k player? I mean a soundbar might not be the way to go as an "upgrade", but I'm exploring my options. Right now I'm running this kit.

At 180 USD this should be at least a significant upgrade over a TV's internal speakers: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-v-series-2-1-channel-sound-bar-system-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/6416782.p?skuId=6416782

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Would it be an upgrade over the (admittedly old-rear end) 5.1 kit I'm running? I know nothing about soundbars, what they're good at/bad at, etc. Do they simulate surround sound? Or should I just bite the bullet and build out a surround sound system with a receiver, etc?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fancier soundbars I believe will do a meh simulation of 5.1, but if you have an existing system I think you should probably be fine? I dunno why you'd switch over unless it was a direct upgrade.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xenomrph posted:

At around $200 ($180 if you go renewed) this is the one I have and it's great. If you ever want to go 5.1 you can use the satellite speakers or you can just use it without them (like I'm doing at the moment) for a 2.1 setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SLWRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one does not have the greatest reviews. At an equivalent price, I'd go with the 5.1 setup above.

edited to put the right link in!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Fancier soundbars I believe will do a meh simulation of 5.1, but if you have an existing system I think you should probably be fine? I dunno why you'd switch over unless it was a direct upgrade.
I don't either, that's why I'm asking these kinds of questions. :suicide:

BonoMan posted:

At around $200 ($180 if you go renewed) this is the one I have and it's great. If you ever want to go 5.1 you can use the satellite speakers or you can just use it without them (like I'm doing at the moment) for a 2.1 setup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7SLWRZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That system looks pretty neat, thanks!

Edit-- is it worth it to spend the extra $10 for the F6 model over the E6C you linked? I googled comparison reviews and they seem kinda split on which is the better system, but I'm leaning towards the F6.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 17, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The problem with sound bars is that the main speaker drivers and cabinet volume are too small and the amps are too weak. This compromises the sound in bass response, tonal balance, and they get harsh or distorted at much lower levels. Speakers that sound objectively good tend to be physically very large, or if they're small require a lot of power. Expensive soundbars can actually sound pretty good, they have a ton of drivers/amps and DSP to try to iron out some of the problems. My personal take is that a 2.0 or 2.1 system of a receiver and "traditional" MDF box speakers is a sweet spot of price, performance and number of large, typically black rectangles you have to deal with for most people but audio is complicated. Speakers interact with your room and even having a glass door or coffee table in the wrong location could make it sound worse than it needs to be. That said even in a non-optimal room a pretty basic setup can sound great with some tweaking.

There is no "just buy this" like with TVs. Actually there kind of is but you really won't like the amounts of money involved, e.g. active speakers with room correction or a small shoebox sized amp with Dirac coupled with some good passive speakers and a compact sub. The Klipsch The Fives are more reasonable but still not cheap at all. Also nothing I'd recommend would be price competitive with a $200 soundbar. Off the top of my head I'd call a "starter system" around $300 minimum for a used/refurb receiver and 2 small bookshelves or some Fluance/Edifier powered speakers with a remote.

For reference I spent around the same amount as I did on my TV on my 2.1 system and I think it sounds great but I get if that's not your jam. I wish there was something like a cheap soundbar [but not sucky] on the market because it would be easy to recommend.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Xenomrph posted:

Edit-- is it worth it to spend the extra $10 for the F6 model over the E6C you linked? I googled comparison reviews and they seem kinda split on which is the better system, but I'm leaning towards the F6.

Not *quite* sure what the difference is. They're very similar. But AVS forums says there may have been a bluetooth connectivity issue fixed with the F6? Not sure as I don't use it that much. For $10 extra, I'd go with the F6 as it's at least newer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I figured the audio setup would be more complicated and potentially way more expensive, I think part of my "problem" is I don't know what good speakers sound like in comparison to my current ones, I just know I'm having trouble with dialogue but that's a center speaker/speaker balance problem (that I'm not entirely sure how to solve) and that my setup cost me like $90 back in 2009. It sounds good enough to my ear but for all I know I could be missing out on a significant upgrade if I buy a $200 soundbar/subwoofer/bookshelf speaker kit, or I could be pissing my money away and it could sound essentially the same. I just don't know. :(

I mean I've built my own computer, I have a very tech-savvy friend and we basically built out a rig based on my budget. I'm totally okay piecemealing a surround sound system based on a budget of, say, $400-$500 I guess, even if I have to do it in stages and not buy everything at once I guess. Even holding my hand and saying "buy this receiver/subwoofer/speakers/cables, then piece it all together" would point me in the right direction because I don't even know what "good" is, or if my budget is inherently too low to get an improvement over my current setup or over a $200 soundbar. If a "starter" arrangement with the receiver and all the speakers would run me $300 and it'd be an upgrade over what I've got, then I'd be all for it.

Or maybe my current setup just needs some settings tweaking and it'll sound better and negate the need to buy anything, I genuinely don't know. I just figure if I'm getting a new TV and 4K player, I should try to do the audio some kind of justice.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 17, 2020

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
The anti-soundbar guy upthread was an aggressive weirdo, but I really gotta push back on soundbar apologism a little bit. It just isn't the best solution for 99% of people. Nearly everyone is going to have space between the bottom of the tv and the floor for some kind of shelf - you don't have to bother your downstairs neighbors with a woofer. You generally never have to touch the receiver or speakers after setup. You can take $100 to craigslist and get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers, where, just the fact that you can separate them and angle them at the couch will create a soundstage that obliterates soundbars. Sound is like half the movie, and you're dropping four figgies just to display the image half. Please no.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A Bag of Milk posted:

The anti-soundbar guy upthread was an aggressive weirdo, but I really gotta push back on soundbar apologism a little bit. It just isn't the best solution for 99% of people. Nearly everyone is going to have space between the bottom of the tv and the floor for some kind of shelf - you don't have to bother your downstairs neighbors with a woofer. You generally never have to touch the receiver or speakers after setup. You can take $100 to craigslist and get a nice pair of bookshelf speakers, where, just the fact that you can separate them and angle them at the couch will create a soundstage that obliterates soundbars. Sound is like half the movie, and you're dropping four figgies just to display the image half. Please no.

Soundbars were created *because* they are the better solution for 99% of people. Yes some TVs nowadays are sitting too low and it may take something to figure out. But pretending a receiver and speaker setup is an easier solution for most people just isn't the case. It's exactly *why* soundbars are made.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d love to see more stuff like this only with an ARC input.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

qirex posted:

The problem with sound bars is that the main speaker drivers and cabinet volume are too small and the amps are too weak. This compromises the sound in bass response, tonal balance, and they get harsh or distorted at much lower levels. Speakers that sound objectively good tend to be physically very large, or if they're small require a lot of power. Expensive soundbars can actually sound pretty good, they have a ton of drivers/amps and DSP to try to iron out some of the problems. My personal take is that a 2.0 or 2.1 system of a receiver and "traditional" MDF box speakers is a sweet spot of price, performance and number of large, typically black rectangles you have to deal with for most people but audio is complicated. Speakers interact with your room and even having a glass door or coffee table in the wrong location could make it sound worse than it needs to be. That said even in a non-optimal room a pretty basic setup can sound great with some tweaking.

There is no "just buy this" like with TVs. Actually there kind of is but you really won't like the amounts of money involved, e.g. active speakers with room correction or a small shoebox sized amp with Dirac coupled with some good passive speakers and a compact sub. The Klipsch The Fives are more reasonable but still not cheap at all. Also nothing I'd recommend would be price competitive with a $200 soundbar. Off the top of my head I'd call a "starter system" around $300 minimum for a used/refurb receiver and 2 small bookshelves or some Fluance/Edifier powered speakers with a remote.

For reference I spent around the same amount as I did on my TV on my 2.1 system and I think it sounds great but I get if that's not your jam. I wish there was something like a cheap soundbar [but not sucky] on the market because it would be easy to recommend.

Thanks. I'm similarly overwhelmed by the amount of audio stuff out there. Out of curiosity, is there much of a point going from a 2.1 system I'm happy with to 3.1?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks. I'm similarly overwhelmed by the amount of audio stuff out there. Out of curiosity, is there much of a point going from a 2.1 system I'm happy with to 3.1?
Having a center channel helps if you want more total output, can't put your L/R speakers in the "correct" position or if you frequently have people sitting off-axis outside the "sweet spot" for stereo. I had 3.1 for a long time and was perfectly happy with it but when it came time for new gear I tried stereo as an experiment and decided I'm not going back to surround unless I ever have a dedicated theater space. I'm probably closer to 50/50 on music vs. TV content which is more than I'd guess most people do, though. If you do get a center it should be at least as good as your L/R, if not better. Don't try to cheap out on one.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Soundbars were created *because* they are the better solution for 99% of people. Yes some TVs nowadays are sitting too low and it may take something to figure out. But pretending a receiver and speaker setup is an easier solution for most people just isn't the case. It's exactly *why* soundbars are made.

Yes, I agree that soundbars are made because they are an easier solution for most people. But starting from the day after you put your system together, it's the same amount of easy. And your reward for putting in slightly more effort in the setup? A continuous, indefinite payback of remarkably better sound.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A Bag of Milk posted:

Yes, I agree that soundbars are made because they are an easier solution for most people. But starting from the day after you put your system together, it's the same amount of easy. And your reward for putting in slightly more effort in the setup? A continuous, indefinite payback of remarkably better sound.

Actually, not to keep beating this drum but no it's not just continual ease. The whole point is that not everyone can setup and maintain/troubleshoot receiver stuff with ease nor do they always have the ability to run wire or even care to (and a lot of people really don't like the look of wired bookshelf speakers in their living room compared to a more svelte soundbar setup.)

Like... we're not discussing the same kind of people. And I have both a receiver/Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker setup and an edifier setup for my turntable and neither are remarkably better than my vizio setup. They're better... but my wife can't tell the difference *at all* and that's most people in this world. Those are the kind of people we're talking to here.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm so confused! :cry: *weeps*

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, a decent soundbar will make your TV sound more immersive and reveal all the details you miss w/r/t lower end because the TV speakers are tiny.

A decent discrete speaker+amp setup will let you do things like hear the sweep of chimes across the left to right, get you those deep tones in dialog.

My wife *hates* having the cables everywhere so we do a soundbar in the living room and 9/10 of the content is YouTube or Kids videos and I have headphones for playing games at night.

I did, out if boredom, haul out the 5.1 system last January when the kids were at daycare just to see what the difference was and, while it was sumptuous, the clutter wasn't going to work in our day to day so meh.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This whole discussion actually reminded me that a friend of mine had an AJ center channel just lyin' around and I was gonna try to grab it from him for cheap.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trying to think of another technology where the very first iteration of it was bad so everyone just wrote it off as bad forever even though it's actually gotten very good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

I'm so confused! :cry: *weeps*
Do you have a Costco membership?

Here's something to try that might help:

Buy this LG SoundBar system which does 5.1.2 Atmos -- Costco classifies SoundBars as electronics and their return policy is very good. You can confirm with the cashier when you check out if you're worried.

Set it up at home, but leave your 2.1 system up.

Play some music, tv, games, etc with an A/B reference check. If you like the sound bar, then keep it and you're done. If it's lacking, then return and start saving for your system parts.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t have a Costco membership, but my parents have friends that do. It won’t show the price to non-members, how much is it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t have a Costco membership, but my parents have friends that do. It won’t show the price to non-members, how much is it?
Picked it because it's just inside of your budget 299 after rebate:

It's not the most amazing soundbar ever but it's also not a $65 cheapobar so it should give you a relatively middle of the road sample before you go and buy the $900 Sonos or Samsung bar :shepspends:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

What's the .2 in 5.1.2? The one is the sub and the five is the satellites, right?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

To me, buying a soundbar because it's sleek and wireless is like buying a tv with poorer picture quality because it has a smaller bezel. But I realize now many people would do that, and I can only speak from the perspective of trying to get the best sound quality for the price. So I won't prolong this debate.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Again, a ridiculously false equivalence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Bag of Milk posted:

To me, buying a soundbar because it's sleek and wireless is like buying a tv with poorer picture quality because it has a smaller bezel.
:geno: "I'm getting a TCL 6 series in 46"...

:rant: What, why! The 8 series Nanoled is only $3200 and it's 98"!

:geno: I LIVE IN A STUDIO APARTMENT

:rant: but it's objectively better!!!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's the .2 in 5.1.2? The one is the sub and the five is the satellites, right?

Height speakers, speakers that either go up high or are designed to bounce the sound off the ceiling to give you the feel of sound coming from above. Commonly called Atmos speakers as they're part of what makes up Dolby Atmos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yup 5 regular, 1 sub, 2 Atmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Walmart has the vizio 50" v505-h for $298, good idea/bad idea?