Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tulip posted:

The domestication of humans thing is SUPER loving HORRIFYING JESUS.

Morokanth claim that herdmen aren't humans, they just look like them.

They also tend to have a larger number of herdmen after they take captives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tulip posted:

The domestication of humans thing is SUPER loving HORRIFYING JESUS.

Herdmen can actually eat grass and not have it damage their teeth/ internals. The Morokanth also have 1) Special magic that lets the grow thumbs 2) Special magic that means that Herdmen can be trained to think about things and 3)

wiegieman posted:

This.

Morokanth are terrifying but mythologically important.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Herd Men aren't humans, they're domesticated apes. So say the gods, and why do you think you know better? You can get herd-man meat on the streets of Nochet and New Pavis, it's pretty decent. Tastes like pork. You don't get punished by spirits of reprisal for cannibalism for eating it either, so it's pretty clear cut.

wiegieman posted:

In-setting the Morokanth magic to turn a human into a herd-man is no more or less horrifying than a witch turning someone into a toad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Herd Men aren't humans, they're domesticated apes. So say the gods, and why do you think you know better? You can get herd-man meat on the streets of Nochet and New Pavis, it's pretty decent. Tastes like pork. You don't get punished by spirits of reprisal for cannibalism for eating it either, so it's pretty clear cut.

In-setting the Morokanth magic to turn a human into a herd-man is no more or less horrifying than a witch turning someone into a toad.

If there was a group of people turning their captured enemies into cows and butchering them, they would be rightfully reviled.

Would a non-praxian also be protected from the spirits that punish cannibalism? What if they knew where the herdmen came from, or a particular herdman?

(As I am Illuminated by the shining face of Our Goddess/a representative of Hrestol's enlightened kingdom, I automatically think I know better than everyone who isn't.)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman posted:

If there was a group of people turning their captured enemies into cows and butchering them, they would be rightfully reviled.

Would a non-praxian also be protected from the spirits that punish cannibalism? What if they knew where the herdmen came from, or a particular herdman?

(As I am Illuminated by the shining face of Our Goddess/a representative of Hrestol's enlightened kingdom, I automatically think I know better than everyone who isn't.)

Once you're a herd man, you're an animal. Period. Non-Praxians eat them just fine, even if you knew them before, though I don't think that's ever happened. It's not a very common spell for Morokanth to cast, it takes a huge investment including permanent sacrifice of POW. They only use it on people they really hate, or people who they really want to send a message about.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you want a better reason to hate Morokanth then they're one of the biggest slave taking and slave trading groups in the world. You see, their tapir hands are absolutely terrible at tool making and tool using, which is like, the fundamental building block of civilization. They're utterly dependent on human humans to make them clothes and weapons and stuff, and the best way to get a human to do that is to enslave them. Then they got good at raiding and slave taking and wound up with a surplus, so they kept the craftsmen and sold the rest to anyone that was buying, which is most of Glorantha. Other Praxian tribes, Lunars, Esrolians, like half of all Orlanthi clans; slaves are valuable, so the Morokanth are always after more.

Of course this also facilitates getting people the gently caress out of Prax, which is an awful place to live, so I don't see it as all bad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I genuinely do not get why the nomads haven't just left. Prax is so awful, their entire mythology boils down to "and then Waha taught us how to barely survive in the horrible wasteland the gods left behind."

I guess the better land is taken.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Someone's gotta stick around and keep the lights on so broos don't start messing with The Block.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I genuinely do not get why the nomads haven't just left. Prax is so awful, their entire mythology boils down to "and then Waha taught us how to barely survive in the horrible wasteland the gods left behind."

I guess the better land is taken.

Magic is a pretty important part of survival in Glorantha, and SOME sort of mythic connection to the land in which you live is actually pretty important to your magic working right. Some of the praxian nomads probably do leave Prax, but I doubt they recognizably stay praxian nomads for long, when their magic is so specialized for living in prax.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

Magic is a pretty important part of survival in Glorantha, and SOME sort of mythic connection to the land in which you live is actually pretty important to your magic working right. Some of the praxian nomads probably do leave Prax, but I doubt they recognizably stay praxian nomads for long, when their magic is so specialized for living in prax.

There were a few Sable Lancer dynasties in what would become the Lunar Empire right?

Also I think the tribes stay there because, well, where else is there? There are still fertile bits and, in one example of true irony, the various different species of animal could all survive on different food there is no explicit need for competition between the tribes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Don't the Morokanth need to take someone else's thumbs?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A Hsunchen mercenary in the Waertagi fleet at the battle of Tanian's Victory, 718 ST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSs9-NDP3E

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

A Hsunchen mercenary in the Waertagi fleet at the battle of Tanian's Victory, 718 ST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoSs9-NDP3E

Gods drat you.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Is Cult Compendium and Gods of Glorantha the canonical Big Book Of Cults for RQG until they put out whatever big book of magic they’re working on?

Mimir fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 22, 2020

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mimir posted:

Is Cult Compendium and Gods of Glorantha the canonical Big Book Of Cults for RQG until they put out whatever big book of magic they’re working on?

There's also Glorantha: the Second Age: Cults of Glorantha.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

There's also Glorantha: the Second Age: Cults of Glorantha.
They've declared the Mongoose stuff to be non-canon and been pretty scathing about Mongoose's quality control never being up to snuff.

Not inaccurate, really, and not just in respect of Glorantha/RuneQuest: Mongoose has always been kind of a sloppy shop that got big initially largely because:

- Their D20 shovelware was just a shade nicer than a lot of the other D20 shovelware on the market, though still very much of a shovelware standard.
- Paranoia XP and the first of their editions of Traveller managed to win people over because they closely imitated the layout of classic material from the product line - allowing them to cheap out on the production values whilst simultaneously giving the sense of bringing back the glory years. (Actually true for Paranoia, though that was more WEG veteran Allan Varney's doing than any actual Mongoose employee's.)
- They lucked out and got some juicy licences before losing more or less all of them bar Paranoia and Traveller by this point. and in the latter two cases one suspects that the rights owners have a similarly lackadaisical attitude to quality control to Mongoose (or they are counting down the days until they can pull the licence).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Do we know anything at all about where Gods of Glorantha stands as of right now?

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I've been curious about the Mongoose stuff, but it seems like the only way to get eyes on it at this point is to track down physical copies.

It's not super surprising that Mongoose would try to glom onto Glorantha at some point, or that they'd do kind of a half-assed job of it. Back in the mid-aughts they were publishing a ton of d20 licensed games while also putting out miniatures for Starship Troopers, Judge Dredd, Babylon 5, and a few house games to boot. Their reach massively exceeded their grasp.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Do we know anything at all about where Gods of Glorantha stands as of right now?
Here's Chaosium's official rundown of how they are handling canon these days.

In summary:
- They regard canon as solely relevant to their own purposes in terms of publishing stuff and keeping things straight and encourage anyone who is not actually Chaosium to not sweat it too much.
- Guide to Glorantha, Glorantha Sourcebook, and King of Sartar are the main foundational canon texts, along with a few pamphlets from the Stafford Library.
- "95%" of the RQ2/RQ3 work is considered still compatible, except some bits have changed in light of the Guide to Glorantha - the depictions of the Western regions from RQ3 are cited as having changed.
- In terms of cult stuff, Trollpac, Cults of Prax, and Cults of Terror are cited as being sources they "heavily rely on" - that'd correspond to Cult Compendium, so I guess Gods of Glorantha is secondary to that.
- Mongoose poo poo is specifically punted out of canon with extreme prejudice, in terms which are so amusing I do suggest clicking on that link to read what's said. The bridge is not just burned, it is nuked.

Just Dan Again posted:

I've been curious about the Mongoose stuff, but it seems like the only way to get eyes on it at this point is to track down physical copies.

It's not super surprising that Mongoose would try to glom onto Glorantha at some point, or that they'd do kind of a half-assed job of it. Back in the mid-aughts they were publishing a ton of d20 licensed games while also putting out miniatures for Starship Troopers, Judge Dredd, Babylon 5, and a few house games to boot. Their reach massively exceeded their grasp.
I think a detailed history of Mongoose would be fascinating. There was a span of time when they were the bright new hope of the UK RPG industry after the closure of Hogshead, but other publishers have pretty much eclipsed them now.

My favourite Mongoose story has to be the time when they decided they could not be hosed with dealing with printers any more, and so decided to just acquire and run their own printer. This led to a shocking decline in already shaky product quality because it turns out running a printer is hard.

And then there's debacles like the Kickstarter for the latest edition of Paranoia, which they decided to give James Wallis the lead design job despite him already being quite late on delivering his Alas Vegas Kickstarter. (Among the scattered broken promises associated with the latter was Wallis' compensation to the backers for the lateness of the game: everyone who got Alas Vegas would also get a PDF of Far West when it came out. Yes, really, he thought it was sensible to associated himself with that. I suspect it was an oblique "gently caress you" to the backers, since his relations with them were pretty poor.) Predictably, Wallis ended up delaying the project massively by being really late about delivering the design, and the whole thing ended up being one of the few situations where Mongoose seemed like the more professional party.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Warthur posted:

Here's Chaosium's official rundown of how they are handling canon these days.

In summary:
- They regard canon as solely relevant to their own purposes in terms of publishing stuff and keeping things straight and encourage anyone who is not actually Chaosium to not sweat it too much.
- Guide to Glorantha, Glorantha Sourcebook, and King of Sartar are the main foundational canon texts, along with a few pamphlets from the Stafford Library.
- "95%" of the RQ2/RQ3 work is considered still compatible, except some bits have changed in light of the Guide to Glorantha - the depictions of the Western regions from RQ3 are cited as having changed.
- In terms of cult stuff, Trollpac, Cults of Prax, and Cults of Terror are cited as being sources they "heavily rely on" - that'd correspond to Cult Compendium, so I guess Gods of Glorantha is secondary to that.
- Mongoose poo poo is specifically punted out of canon with extreme prejudice, in terms which are so amusing I do suggest clicking on that link to read what's said. The bridge is not just burned, it is nuked.

No, I mean, the book of that name that they were working on, or whatever they called it. The one that used to be Belintar's Book.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I mean, the book of that name that they were working on, or whatever they called it. The one that used to be Belintar's Book.

Ah, right, confusing. Here's a blog post:

https://www.chaosium.com/blogwhats-happening-with-rqg-2-the-gods-of-glorantha/

Basically, the manuscript was done as of August 2018, but they need to commission a shitton of art and were already being cautious about how long that would take back in the beforetime before COVID. I would be very surprised to get it before middle of next year in PDF.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Jeff actually kept expanding the manuscript through 2019. The current plan is to cover ~100 cults in depth, in a three-book slipcase; one of those books is a "prosopaedia" with one-paragraph overviews of 750 cults. The prosopaedia is entering layout soon -- possibly as early as next month -- but the rest is waiting on the massive amount of art coming in. Jeff has been posting previews of the art over on the Facebook Runequest group.

Between art, layout, editing, and possibly making room for other publications coming out before or at the same time -- such as the Sartar homeland book and the large book of magic that is meant to be a companion to the cults book -- I wouldn't be surprised if the cults book got pushed to 2022. Sedenya only knows when the GM book, the decade-in-development Prax book, etc. will ever come out.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Blind Azathoth posted:

the Sartar homeland book

Oh come the gently caress on, another one?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

It's a tradition. I wouldn't know what to do without a new team immediately deciding to produce another Sartar intro, even if it was less immediate than usual this time out.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

At this point the original nochet joke has gone from joke to actual literal prophesy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

EverettLO posted:

It's a tradition. I wouldn't know what to do without a new team immediately deciding to produce another Sartar intro, even if it was less immediate than usual this time out.

Sidebar: The Hero Wars Begin posted:

A book on playing competing Lunar noble houses is finally released, and the foundations of the world shake.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So I've only been closely following Glorantha for less than a decade now (rather than just being dimly aware of it) and so I've only seen these cycles before in old forum posts and reviewing old product lines.

What are the odds that we get a more comprehensive look at the third age than in past iterations given that the license is basically all back in the hands of Chaosium?

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Apparently, despite the fact that Greg and Jeff themselves wrote the last Sartar books only a decade ago, they somehow didn't turn out the way Jeff wanted. He has criticized them repeatedly in recent years and insists this new book will finally be the definitive work on the region.

In other words, the war against Elmal will only be won once every mention of him is replaced with "a small, local variant of Yelmalio." Jeff continues to fight the good fight that he... started by writing up the Elmal cult ten years ago...

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Blind Azathoth posted:

Apparently, despite the fact that Greg and Jeff themselves wrote the last Sartar books only a decade ago, they somehow didn't turn out the way Jeff wanted. He has criticized them repeatedly in recent years and insists this new book will finally be the definitive work on the region.

In other words, the war against Elmal will only be won once every mention of him is replaced with "a small, local variant of Yelmalio." Jeff continues to fight the good fight that he... started by writing up the Elmal cult ten years ago...

The company is called Chaosium, of course they want to remove Elmal in favor of Yelmalio. They're doing the bidding of chaos.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Why on earth are they still arising around with a tiny backwater area when Ralios is sat right there

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I regret not realizing until after my group did clan and chargen that I could describe what happened to Arkat as “a classic reverse Shrek 2 situation”

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Here's a question: Lulu is having a 30% off sale and almost all of the Stafford Library books are available on there. Are they worth having if I already have the Guide to Glorantha? The archivists who put them together specifically said The Missing Lands was almost totally superseded by the guide, but made no comment on the other books.

I'm willing to buy them if they would help me gain deeper knowledge, but if it's a marginal gain then I might pass.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EverettLO posted:

Here's a question: Lulu is having a 30% off sale and almost all of the Stafford Library books are available on there. Are they worth having if I already have the Guide to Glorantha? The archivists who put them together specifically said The Missing Lands was almost totally superseded by the guide, but made no comment on the other books.

I'm willing to buy them if they would help me gain deeper knowledge, but if it's a marginal gain then I might pass.
The three Pelorian books: Glorious Re-Ascent of Yelm and The Fortunate Succession are both histories of Dara Happa as told through a list of Emperors (the first book is mostly pre-time, the second covers the period from the Dawn to the Lunars taking over. Both are very worth reading IF you are interested in a deep dive into what makes Dara Happa/Pelorians/Yelm worshippers tick. The Entekosiad is the account of a woman from a Lunar province and the heroquests she went on to discover that the gods she originally grew up worshipping were actual Lunar deities all along. It's extremely esoteric and recommended for serious Glorantha-heads only (I've bounced off of it every time I try to read it). Despite being a Lunar manuscript by a Lunar worshipper (turned Lunar demigoddess) it really doesn't tell you much of anything about the Lunar Empire or the Lunar Way.

The three World books: Missing Lands is fully superseded by the Guide. Arcane Lore is a bunch of Greg's notes about heroquesting and how it works with a number of sample heroquests included (some lightly sketched, some fully fleshed). Very useful if you're interested in heroquesting, but also very fragmentary. Revealed Mythologies contains details notes and descriptions of the myths, mythic histories, and pantheons of the West, Pameltela, and the East Isles. It's the best and most complete source on all three of those cultures (although a fair bit of the basic information was repeated in the guide).

The two Heortling books are great if you want a deep dive into everyone's favorite overexposed Vikings-without-ships: The History is what it says on the tin - mostly concentrating on First and Second Age material, with very little to say about the current (late Third Age) era. The Mythology is a wonderful (definitive?) collection of all the myths about Orlanth, Ernalda, Issaries, Humakt, Chalana Arroy, and so on. Almost 200 pages!

The Other two books are narrowly focused: the Esrolia book is about, duh, Esrolia and has a lot about their history, their matriarchal society, Nochet, Ezel, and related topics. It's kind of short though - only 60 pages. The Middle Sea Empire book is a history of the God Learner Empire, from its start on Jrustela to its ultimate destruction. It was referenced quite heavily by the writers of the Mongoose Second Age products. Again, very useful if you want to know more about the history of the Second Age.

If I was to choose which ones to buy/read first (as far as broad usefullness and general interest) I'd go with Revealed Mythologies and The Book of Heortling Mythology, and follow those up with Glorious Re-Ascent. Save the Entekosiad for the very end.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The entekosiad is fully up there in terms of "poo poo that I have read but cannot understand".

Glorious Re-Ascent is one of my personal favourites because it is so so interesting to see the history of people and to imagine how they survived all the weirdness that the Storm and Chaos ages did to them.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

This is incredibly useful advice. I cant thank you enough for taking the time to post it.

Between your advice and FMguru's, I think I might be skipping the Entekosiad. Probably cough up the next few months RPG money on the rest, though. If I can finish reading them, I'm aiming to be able the jump into most Glorantha threads and not be hopelessly lost within a page or two.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I like Middle Sea Empire, but I’m just a sucker for God Learner stuff generally.

Also, the Magic of Glorantha book is out in a month, according to this blog post about how Chaosium is hiring an art director. We’ve heard a lot about how waiting for art to come in has really affected the schedule, hopefully this smoothes that out a little. https://www.chaosium.com/blogchaosium-welcomes-art-director-jaye-kovach-to-the-team/

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

The entekosiad is fully up there in terms of "poo poo that I have read but cannot understand".

Glorious Re-Ascent is one of my personal favourites because it is so so interesting to see the history of people and to imagine how they survived all the weirdness that the Storm and Chaos ages did to them.

I felt like I understood just enough of the Entekosiad to recognize that I was being trolled. And not the Uz kind, either. Definitely requires you be steeped in Gloranthan lore in advance.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Red Book of Magic confirmed as releasing later this month, front cover looks ace.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh niiiice!

Will have to look into picking this up, is that Ernalda slaying some sort of Chaos creature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Red Book of Magic just dropped, got some fun spells in there. For example:we finally have a spell to make people orgasm.