Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Rokinon 14mm? You can use EF on a crop mount, but not the other way around (EF-S lens on a full frame EF camera).

I thought the fastest/widest Rokinon 14mm was the F/2.8, but it looks like B&H sells an F/2.4? Weird that it's not on Rokinon's site?

xzzy posted:

I think aperture is more valuable than wide angle anyways, especially if you ever want to do meteor showers. That sigma 20mm 1.4. :allears:

I forgot about the Sigma 14mm F/1.8 which does meet my arbitrary requirements of < 16mm and faster than F/2, but it's pretty pricey and it'd be a shame to waste it on a APS-C body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Shows my dumbness that I was thinking f/2.8 was fast...

Can I ask a dumb astro question here? If you're shooting wide open, how to you get any terrestrial stuff in focus in the shots? Or is not in sharp sharp but good enough as long as the stars are sharp?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I thought the fastest/widest Rokinon 14mm was the F/2.8, but it looks like B&H sells an F/2.4? Weird that it's not on Rokinon's site?

I forgot about the Sigma 14mm F/1.8 which does meet my arbitrary requirements of < 16mm and faster than F/2, but it's pretty pricey and it'd be a shame to waste it on a APS-C body.

I've heard the rokinon 14mm f2.4 is very good for astrophotography, even compared to the sigma.

It is on their site under special performance lenses. Here it is on samyang's site.

There are faster ultrawide lenses for mirrorless apsc cameras, I think the difference is probably that they are designed for the smaller image circle. Sigma has an inexpensive af 16mm f1.4, rokinon makes a 12mm f2, and there are lots of even wider f2.8s.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While it's not super duper wide, the Sigma Art 18-35mm/f1.8 (~28-56mm full frame equivalent) is one of, if not the, best wide angle lens you can get on a crop body. It's not terribly expensive either if you look it from the perspective of having 18mm, 24mm and 35mm f1.8 primes in one.

I don't really know what I'm doing and managed to pull this off with minimal effort with an 80D and the 18-35.

CO/SD/WY 2019 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

If someone actually had astrophotography skills I have no doubt the images could be better.

For general purpose shots it's flippin' fantastic.

Northwoods Grouse by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Skirt Steak & Garlic Mashed Potatoes by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Anderson Japanese Gardens by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 18, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Shows my dumbness that I was thinking f/2.8 was fast...

Can I ask a dumb astro question here? If you're shooting wide open, how to you get any terrestrial stuff in focus in the shots? Or is not in sharp sharp but good enough as long as the stars are sharp?

It's all relative I suppose. I'm no expert, but astro stuff seems to gently caress you every way possible. Incredibly dim, moving, and single points of light will really highlight any sharpness issues you have.

Ultrawide really plays in your favor on focus. According to the first DOF calculator I found, 12mm @ F/2 you can focus to 4 meters and everything will be in focus. If you're stacking images you can do even better since your foreground is almost certainly static. Take one long shot of your static foreground and composite it with stacked star shots.

I'm not an astro expert. You might be able to stack enough dim F/2.8 or F/4 shots and get great results.

Fools Infinite posted:

I've heard the rokinon 14mm f2.4 is very good for astrophotography, even compared to the sigma.

It is on their site under special performance lenses. Here it is on samyang's site.

There are faster ultrawide lenses for mirrorless apsc cameras, I think the difference is probably that they are designed for the smaller image circle. Sigma has an inexpensive af 16mm f1.4, rokinon makes a 12mm f2, and there are lots of even wider f2.8s.

Mirrorless is really where it's at for fast primes, at least with APS-C. I have the Rokinon 12mm F/2 and I've been completely happy with it.

Glacier Peak Moonset by Josh, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Ultrawide really plays in your favor on focus. According to the first DOF calculator I found, 12mm @ F/2 you can focus to 4 meters and everything will be in focus. If you're stacking images you can do even better since your foreground is almost certainly static. Take one long shot of your static foreground and composite it with stacked star shots.

That's awesome, thanks. I had no idea.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Christopher Frost just posted a review today of the tokina 14-20mm f2, where he said it is useful for crop dslr users for astrophotography, but suggested moving to mirrorless for the many manual prime options.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
This year continues to be cursed. 15 years without ever dropping a camera... three days in with my shiny new a7 III and it crashes to the (hard, rocky) ground from ~1m high. Exterior damage limited to the lens' hood - it absorbed most of the impact - with only some very tiny scratches on the body. AF, stabilization and sharpness appear to be OK, but I'm not familiar enough with the equipment and lens' performance (first time using a mirrorless camera, too) to know for sure. I searched around and Google put the fear in me with talks of imperceptible but critical misalignment and a myriad of other potentially catastrophic issues.

On a scale of "it's fine, now I don't have to worry about the first ding" to "gently caress 2020", how worried should I be?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Almost certainly fine. It takes some work to break cameras and lenses. I've only managed it once, 70-200 fell onto a rock and must have decentered something internally because the image quality was really noticeably bad.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Uncle Ivan posted:

Almost certainly fine. It takes some work to break cameras and lenses. I've only managed it once, 70-200 fell onto a rock and must have decentered something internally because the image quality was really noticeably bad.

That's good to hear. The first part. Sorry about your 70-200.

Well, I'll be playing it safe from now on: Peak Design straps are now on the shopping list, both regular and the wrist one. Guess I'll keep charging the battery via USB-C for a bit longer. 80€ for a charger... Sony, you greedy assholes.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

seravid posted:

Well, I'll be playing it safe from now on: Peak Design straps are now on the shopping list, both regular and the wrist one.

Good choice, the PD strap is like you're carrying no weight at all. Note they're running a sale right now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Good choice, the PD strap is like you're carrying no weight at all. Note they're running a sale right now.

So they are but, curiously, it's still more expensive than buying from local stores/Amazon.

A shame that the baseplate anchor mount included needs an easily misplaced hex key to tighten it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

seravid posted:

So they are but, curiously, it's still more expensive than buying from local stores/Amazon.

Lucky you, Amazon is €15 more expensive here for the thing I'm eyeing.

seravid posted:

A shame that the baseplate anchor mount included needs an easily misplaced hex key to tighten it.

I put on the PD-compatible 3LeggedThings "PD Ellie" bracket and haven't removed it since. Their customer support is top notch, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey so speaking of astrophotography, is attempting to de-fish a fisheye wide a fool's errand? Or would it be expected to produce some usable results?

Obviously would lose data at the edges where you have to trim and crop the photo; I'm more thinking about smearing stars and such as you warp the very fabric of space and time in the photo itself.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

gschmidl posted:

I put on the PD-compatible 3LeggedThings "PD Ellie" bracket and haven't removed it since. Their customer support is top notch, too.

Looks good, but I gotta stop buying expensive accessory stuff. I still only have the one lens in this mount!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Martytoof posted:

Hey so speaking of astrophotography, is attempting to de-fish a fisheye wide a fool's errand? Or would it be expected to produce some usable results?

Obviously would lose data at the edges where you have to trim and crop the photo; I'm more thinking about smearing stars and such as you warp the very fabric of space and time in the photo itself.

If anything de-fishing is going to cause your stars to get smaller, and you might risk losing some of them in the averaging process or whatever, but you should still get a usable astrophotography picture. It's not like anyone is going to call out HEY THIS STAR IS OUT OF PLACE MY IMMERSION IS RUINED or anything like that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sensible. I do have access to a fisheye 8mm 2.8 so I might go give this a try next spring/summer when it’s not negative-cold out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
We’re looking to do some traveling later next year *fingers crossed* and I plan on being reasonable by leaving my a7ii/24-105 at home in lieu of taking only my RX1003. With that in mind, does anyone have good recommendations for a small wrist strap?

I’ve tried the thicker neoprene band ones before but they seem a bit large to me. I see all kinds of paracord-like dealios out there and they seem nice and small...

So many options...

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Love gordy’s leather straps.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

does anyone have good recommendations for a small wrist strap?

I have this one on my RX100, I like it a lot since I can swap it with a full strap too.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Peak design has a good one too; the "magnetic latch means you can wear it as a bracelet!" thing is bullshit, but I have the same cameras you do and it works great otherwise on both of them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tried the Peak Design one and hated it, the plastic clip on the end was too big and always in the wrong place for a camera that small

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to come in and pimp the PD despite the plastic clip (which I agree is a bit big) only because I love having a way to go from wrist strap to neck strap. Also have PD loops on all my cameras, MF, 35mm, and digital, so I really only own 3 straps. Thick and thin neck, and wrist. The large plastic clip notwithstanding I never really had many issues with the whole setup.

There are definitely smaller and more compact options though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried the peak design one and personally prefer gordy’s. The peak design one is kinda bulky and I found it annoying to get my hand in and out. With the leather strap, I can get it set so it’s easy to slip my hand out when I want to but still plenty secure. They also look a lot nicer to me, but obviously that’s also a personal preference thing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Simplr and DSPTCH are my favorite [despite their distaste for vowels]. My main X100 straps are the DSPTCH braided paracord strap and the “Type 18” adjustable. Their wrist straps aren’t great, I have a paracord done and it’s very secure but it’s a little tricky to take on and off.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I think I’d like a compact paracord strap—something that doesn’t have a clip. The search continues...

e: Can’t be too long either. God, I feel like I’m living in that bento box copypasta.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think you're getting into the make your own solution territory.

Try it, it's fun.

edit - just be aware if you ever search for the word "paracord" on youtube it will endlessly stuff your recommended videos with prepper bullshit.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 28, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you can invest in a handful of small chicago screws, it’s also good beginner DIY leatherworking territory. Just get one of those keychain D-rings, cut yourself a strip of leather from an old belt or something sufficiently thin, and put it together to your size preference

I’m no artist but something like:

I did this once and it looked pretty good and held up well and you can make it as large or compact as you like. Depending on how small you make it you might move from chicago screws to thinner staples I guess.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Finally bought myself a personal camera that's seperate from work.

When I started shooting full time, I did less and less of my 'own' stuff. I realised that in 2020, I quite literally hadn't shot anything for myself. Stupid.

Anyway, that is to say I bought an X100V and its bloody lovely.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Yeast posted:

Finally bought myself a personal camera that's seperate from work.

When I started shooting full time, I did less and less of my 'own' stuff. I realised that in 2020, I quite literally hadn't shot anything for myself. Stupid.

Anyway, that is to say I bought an X100V and its bloody lovely.

I really want one of these to upgrade from the XF10 but Santa's (my wife) going to be unemployed for another 2+ months starting in January so it'll have to wait a bit. Maybe COVID will be over by then and she can work.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

charliebravo77 posted:

I really want one of these to upgrade from the XF10 but Santa's (my wife) going to be unemployed for another 2+ months starting in January so it'll have to wait a bit. Maybe COVID will be over by then and she can work.

I feel you mate.

My city locked down for over 100 days and now my state has eradicated the virus, so we can get back to work.

It was a grim year.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

I think you're getting into the make your own solution territory.

Try it, it's fun.

Oooooh. This could be cool...

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I gave my wife the speedlite for her birthday and it has made a world of difference in her photographs. So thank you to everyone who helped me pick one out.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Deadite posted:

I gave my wife the speedlite for her birthday and it has made a world of difference in her photographs. So thank you to everyone who helped me pick one out.

Cute bunnies!

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I have a 907X on the way as an early Christmas present to myself. This is the most expensive piece of camera equipment I’ve ever purchased. Has anyone gotten their cameras insured?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

birds posted:

I have a 907X on the way as an early Christmas present to myself. This is the most expensive piece of camera equipment I’ve ever purchased. Has anyone gotten their cameras insured?

I did it through a rider on my renter's insurance. It's pretty cheap, and worth the peace of mind, especially if you plan travel with it (most renter's insurance will have a limit of the total policy on any single item, and on how much they'll pay out if you're traveling, but a rider will sidestep those).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My work wants me to do a bunch of how-to videos and onboarding videos for new hires. They want me to do video of myself in addition to recording screen shares and doing voiceovers.

I was chosen to do this because I have a very good audio recording setup for the d&d sessions that I do over the internet so they thought I would be the most skilled person at the company to handle this.

It's likely that I will be able to choose the camera that I want to use and expense it. It would probably be a beginner level DSLR or mirrorless camera body as I am doubtful they would approve any other expense.

Since I will need the camera for both talking face purposes and for video overlays while I screen share I figured a setup that would work for a twitch streamer would likely work well for me? I would like to also be able to use this camera as a personal one afterward as well for taking things like night photography or nature photos as I like to hike.

In the research that I've done over the past few days it seems like the Canon M50 Mark II or the Sony a6100 are common babies first streaming cameras with removable lens systems. Is that right? Are they good choices or should I be looking elsewhere.

They are both in the price range that my work would likely be willing to pay.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 9, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

My work wants me to do a bunch of how-to videos and onboarding videos for new hires. They want me to do video of myself in addition to recording screen shares and doing voiceovers.

I was chosen to do this because I have a very good audio recording setup for the d&d sessions that I do over the internet so they thought I would be the most skilled person at the company to handle this.

It's likely that I will be able to choose the camera that I want to use and expense it. It would probably be a beginner level DSLR or mirrorless camera body as I am doubtful they would approve any other expense.

Since I will need the camera for both talking face purposes and for video overlays while I screen share I figured a setup that would work for a twitch streamer would likely work well for me? I would like to also be able to use this camera as a personal one afterward as well for taking things like night photography or nature photos as I like to hike.

In the research that I've done over the past few days it seems like the Canon M50 Mark II or the Sony a6100 are common babies first streaming cameras with removable lens systems. Is that right? Are they good choices or should I be looking elsewhere.

They are both in the price range that my work would likely be willing to pay.

Streaming and recording for later editing are slightly different, the streamer guys are all focussed on "clean" HDMI out, where the camera outputs a live feed to a HDMI capture device to feed into OBS etc. Not all cameras do this it's kind of a not shouted about feature, lots of cameras do HDMI out but not clean ie they have overlays on the feed or they do it but don't autofocus. You are also limited to whatever res/quality the camera is putting out over HDMI and what your capture device can support.

When used for recording pure video to SD Card for later editing a camera that doesn't do clean HDMI isn't an issue as a the recorded video will be clean if that makes sense. However a lot of DLSRs and Mirrorless stills cameras have a record limit of 30 mins.

So really it comes down to how will you make your content? Live all in one go like a streamer, or by recording bits of video and screen captures and editing together on your computer, this gives you the flexibility to redo the voice or the video separately etc.

If you go the streamer route you'll need a camera/HDMI capture device/and probably a dummy battery. Both routes you'll want a tripod, editing software and possibly LED lights (I assume you already have mics etc from your DnD stuff)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is usually the case for live streaming. If you’re recoding for later editing, the Panasonic GH5 is the king of our video studio. You can probably get a good deal on one in a holiday sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

jarlywarly posted:

Streaming and recording for later editing are slightly different, the streamer guys are all focussed on "clean" HDMI out, where the camera outputs a live feed to a HDMI capture device to feed into OBS etc. Not all cameras do this it's kind of a not shouted about feature, lots of cameras do HDMI out but not clean ie they have overlays on the feed or they do it but don't autofocus. You are also limited to whatever res/quality the camera is putting out over HDMI and what your capture device can support.

When used for recording pure video to SD Card for later editing a camera that doesn't do clean HDMI isn't an issue as a the recorded video will be clean if that makes sense. However a lot of DLSRs and Mirrorless stills cameras have a record limit of 30 mins.

So really it comes down to how will you make your content? Live all in one go like a streamer, or by recording bits of video and screen captures and editing together on your computer, this gives you the flexibility to redo the voice or the video separately etc.

If you go the streamer route you'll need a camera/HDMI capture device/and probably a dummy battery. Both routes you'll want a tripod, editing software and possibly LED lights (I assume you already have mics etc from your DnD stuff)

Thanks, this is really helpful stuff. My thought was to do it in a streamer sort of setup since I don't have any experience whatsoever with editing. I wouldn't even know how to line up a separately recorded voice track with a video of myself. but maybe that would be the better route anyway since it would give me more potential takes?

I do have a Mac so I have access to iMovie. On the other hand I do know how to merge a bunch of sources in OBS right now and that wouldn't take any additional learning or skill.

How is the lens universe for Sony versus Canon? Or is there another brand that has a more universal support for the various lenses? I would imagine that I would want to get them used on a place like ebay?

XBenedict posted:

This is usually the case for live streaming. If you’re recoding for later editing, the Panasonic GH5 is the king of our video studio. You can probably get a good deal on one in a holiday sale.

Unfortunately it looks like this is likely outside of the price range.