Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This feels like another contender for the "Wholesome GTA" series reboot I've been wanting for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:italy:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

shouldn't that be upside down

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

shouldn't that be upside down
get this
it is

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I did not expect this particular controversy to actually get worse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

After some searching I found out that this is about a British brand of candy and not the Washington sports team.

The Mail

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Nov 17, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Redskins are now Red Rippers and Chico's are now Cheekies. I forgot there was a Redskins football team and that not everyone grew up with Redskins lollies.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not everyone is used to calling things lollies either, I was confused by that.
The Mail is using almost ridiculously British language.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

By popular demand posted:

After some searching I found out that this is about a British brand of candy and not the Washington sports team.

The Mail

What is big deal? I jerk soft shame cock in woods, I bother no one.

https://youtu.be/FsuI_loZWZA

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't they usually use helicopters for this?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

By popular demand posted:

The Mail

Allen’s is an Australasian brand, not British. We don’t get them in the U.K.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm a terrible anglophile, just draw and quarter me.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone probably asked why they need to have a lambo on the force and they panicked and had to find a quick justification.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Someone probably asked why they need to have a lambo on the force and they panicked and had to find a quick justification.

They've had the lambo for years, iirc. It's mostly a publicity stunt thing, and I think possibly donated by the company.

In some circumstances it might be faster than a helicopter counting take off and landing, but from the stereotypes of Italian highways...

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The Lone Badger posted:

The article states that the beginning hospital had no helipad and so car was the only option.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, an Australian brand is getting roasted for using a name for their product that also happens to be the nickname of a Russian serial killer.

Please explain to me why this isnt people just screaming to scream? Aus is not adjutant to Russia. Aus is no where NEAR Russia.

How would anyone from Allen's have any idea about a Russian serial killer?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why change it at all, just claim that Redskins is a reference to SHARP. That was the first thing I thought of, to be honest

Bing bong so simple

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, an Australian brand is getting roasted for using a name for their product that also happens to be the nickname of a Russian serial killer.

Please explain to me why this isnt people just screaming to scream? Aus is not adjutant to Russia. Aus is no where NEAR Russia.

How would anyone from Allen's have any idea about a Russian serial killer?

I doubt that the "Red Ripper" would even be a nickname of a serial killer they would actually use in Russia, it sounds like a Western exonym.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Given that the very first search result* for 'red ripper' was the serial killer it's insanely likely that they've done this deliberately as a marketing strategy. It's 'controversial' with no actual cultural attachment in Australia.

* results may be skewed by the new product now.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Inceltown posted:

Given that the very first search result* for 'red ripper' was the serial killer it's insanely likely that they've done this deliberately as a marketing strategy. It's 'controversial' with no actual cultural attachment in Australia.

* results may be skewed by the new product now.

Okay, that is very possible/plausible, but it’s also possible that they didn’t do any research at all, except for maybe their local market.

You see this every so often where a brand in one language, translates to something bad in another.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, that is very possible/plausible, but it’s also possible that they didn’t do any research at all, except for maybe their local market.

You see this every so often where a brand in one language, translates to something bad in another.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've had the lambo for years, iirc. It's mostly a publicity stunt thing, and I think possibly donated by the company.

In some circumstances it might be faster than a helicopter counting take off and landing, but from the stereotypes of Italian highways...

IIRC the Carabinieri (sort of FBI and Army mishmash) almost always get one of the production line models as a gift from the company, so yes.

...And having been in Italy several times, the highways are actually surprisingly good, but they still have actual toll booths on them at places.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/11/17/fbi-suspect-attempts-underwater-escape-sea-scooter/

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
There are multiple large fields within a few blocks of that hospital, so I definitely believe the publicity stunt explanation over the "nowhere to land a helicopter" explanation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doesn't everyone know how dangerous helicopters are :rolleyes:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dolly Parton made the coronavirus vaccine happen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

The article states that the beginning hospital had no helipad and so car was the only option.

That would explain them needing to drive it from the hospital to a nearby helipad or football pitch, I guess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Subjunctive posted:

That would explain them needing to drive it from the hospital to a nearby helipad or football pitch, I guess.

Hmm, they could drive a Lamborghini equipped to transport human organs safely to a clearing and wait for a helicopter flown in from somewhere else, or they could just drive the Lamborghini equipped to transport human organs straight to the other hospital and skip the helicopter entirely, saving money, fuel, and probably not costing any additional time. Which would you choose?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hmm, they could drive a Lamborghini equipped to transport human organs safely to a clearing and wait for a helicopter flown in from somewhere else, or they could just drive the Lamborghini equipped to transport human organs straight to the other hospital and skip the helicopter entirely, saving money, fuel, and probably not costing any additional time. Which would you choose?

The helicopter. Because its not one italian grandpa in a 25 year old Fiat Punto that suddenly switches lanes on the highway away from turning into a fireball with a crispy roasted heart at the center.

Yes obviously everything went well and they made it and are better equipped to make those decisions. But i've driven italian highways and holy poo poo doing it at 143 mph for two hours would be the most terrifying thing.

Shai-Hulud has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Nov 18, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Der Kyhe posted:

...And having been in Italy several times, the highways are actually surprisingly good, but they still have actual toll booths on them at places.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

The helicopter. Because its not one italian grandpa in a 25 year old Fiat Punto that suddenly switches lanes on the highway away from turning into a fireball with a crispy roasted heart at the center.

Yes obviously everything went well and they made it and are better equipped to make those decisions. But i've driven italian highways and holy poo poo doing it at 143 mph for two hours would be the most terrifying thing.

No way a skilled Italian police driver would ever crash their Lambo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t believe they found a means of transport more dangerous than a helicopter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

The highways are fine, it's the bridges you have to watch out for.

e:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The highways are fine, it's the bridges you have to watch out for.

e:

Technically it's buttering the toast once. It gets buttered before going in the toaster and so is bread at that point. Then buttered again once it comes out.

No I didn't do any research into what she actually does, this is just the logical way to do it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I appreciate The Most Italian Thing being swiftly followed by The Most British Thing

:italy: :respek: :britain:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Inceltown posted:

Technically it's buttering the toast once. It gets buttered before going in the toaster and so is bread at that point. Then buttered again once it comes out.

No I didn't do any research into what she actually does, this is just the logical way to do it.

Wouldn’t the butter drippings on the toaster floor eventually start a fire or am I misunderstanding the technique?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

Wouldn’t the butter drippings on the toaster floor eventually start a fire or am I misunderstanding the technique?

It's called "self-cleaning"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's called "self-cleaning"

loving bourgeoisie