Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

thetoughestbean posted:

So what’s the deal with Uro? It just does too much and comes back to easily?

Basically yeah. He’s a win condition, card draw, stabilization and ramp all in one package. He’s the glue that lets these big 3/4 colour removal piles function in Modern/Historic. You’re always happy to draw him, he’s really hard (impossible, sometimes) to answer cleanly, and he runs away with the game if you can’t answer him.

He’s kind of a Mulldrifter with Baneslayer stats. Magic cards probably should do so many things all in one package.

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just print a card called "banish to Tartarus" that searches opponent's hand, library, graveyard, battlefield, the stack, all exile zones, all face-down cards, and the not-in-the-game zone including your sideboard and your collection back at home, for all Titans and puts them in an envelope with full postage paid and mails them to WotC headquarters for a refund, two packs of ikoria remastered, and a coupon for a free coke with any large pizza.

Oh wait, "titan" isn't a creature type, silly me. This wouldn't work at all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Urza's destiny had eradicate, didn't it? Wasn't that "exile target creature and then dig through their deck to exile any duplicates too"? Is there anything remotely similar to that in recent sets?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Urza's destiny had eradicate, didn't it? Wasn't that "exile target creature and then dig through their deck to exile any duplicates too"? Is there anything remotely similar to that in recent sets?

There has consistently been a "name a specific card, then search every card your opponent has in this game and exile all copies of it" type of card in standard for a while. Current one is necromentia, I think.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cards like that are almost never good enough unless it’s sniping a card that the deck’s entire game plan revolves around like Nexus back in the day. Spending a card to get rid of a value engine just doesn’t do enough against the decks that run Uro, and probably actively puts you behind tbh.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Deicide

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

lol I think they're annoying too, but come on. Just look at your phone while it's going off.

Yeah cool just stop paying attention to the game in microdoses, are you a robot who can do this with cpu clock pulses otherwise it's still really loving annoying to need to do that.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad if Brazen Borrower, two commons taped together, wasn't Mythic Rare for power level reasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way to make Kroxa as good as Uro would be if he blew up a land instead of discarding a card.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Captain Invictus posted:

Deicide was the closest thing and should be redone to act for all legends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If Kroxa escaped for 3 mana or always dealt 3 damage, he'd be as good, I think.

Making Uro worse would be the better thing for Magic: The Gathering.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

The only way to make Kroxa as good as Uro would be if he blew up a land instead of discarding a card.

Nah you don't even need to do land destruction, just mirror them.

Uro
- gain 3
- draw a card
- play a land

Kroxa
- deal 3
- opponent discard
- add 1BR to your mana pool

And align their costs (so both are 3 CMC to cast, 4 CMC to Escape). Dunno if there was really a deck that could've taken advantage of that version of Kroxa but it certainly would've been a strong contender.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nah you don't even need to do land destruction, just mirror them.

Uro
- gain 3
- draw a card
- play a land

Kroxa
- deal 3
- opponent discard
- add 1BR to your mana pool

And align their costs (so both are 3 CMC to cast, 4 CMC to Escape). Dunno if there was really a deck that could've taken advantage of that version of Kroxa but it certainly would've been a strong contender.

That Kroxa as written is insanely broken, that's essentially Blightning but with a mana refund

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Blightning is one of my favorite cards ever printed, I wish it would get a standard reprint.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Burning tree, burning tree, burning tree, but with blightning

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

TheKingofSprings posted:

That Kroxa as written is insanely broken, that's essentially Blightning but with a mana refund

Well then he made his point, because Uro is insanely broken.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paying for itself at the cost of one discard is an acceptable upgrade to Blightning imho

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

uro: when etb, reveal the top card of your library. if it's a basic land card, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped and you gain 3 life, otherwise put it into your hand

kroxa: dunno

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I'm really interested in seeing is the rejected ideas for titans of the other color pairs. Maro literally said they could only think of two good ones so those are the ones they printed lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kroxa is still annoying as hell, but i like the fixed Uro that resistentialism posted a lot more than the actual card

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

The Klowner posted:

What I'm really interested in seeing is the rejected ideas for titans of the other color pairs. Maro literally said they could only think of two good ones so those are the ones they printed lol

So, in retrospect, I have to say, "Well no poo poo, Uro does three loving things at once, maybe that'swhy there's no room for other titan designs."

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

I was sick of BB and Rankle the first time I saw them and I am at "jesus christ just let me turn off animations I will throw all of my gold and gems at it right now" level now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

I don't disagree but that's the world we live in. You can continue to get mad, or you can look at Twitter.

Or I can just go to mtgo and as a bonus actually play the deck I want and not some weird format that's "whatever we were assed to put it"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Moose posted:

what would it take for kroxa to be as good as uro, or for uro to be down to kroxa's level? Maybe if you removed the card draw from uro? or maybe uro's ability was ETB only?

If you wanted to make kroxa better, he would probably cost 3 and make them discard 2.

Make the three life unconditional, and/or lessen the escape cost

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

Just make uro two on the front half and then you can legions end it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't that the point?

I originally wrote "add BR to your mana pool" (instead of 1BR) which is still in broken territory albeit slightly less bonkers but the goal was to figure out how to make it equivalent to Uro within the color pie constraints. Black and Red both get temporary mana effects (versus UG getting slower but more permanent ramp) so it felt appropriate.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok thread. Want to start a new thread game called "Would you slot it?" Where we posit older cards that were good and ask "would it see play in standard today?" Note the question is not: "would they print it", just "would it see play in tier 1/1.5 decks?"

First cards on the docket:

Plow Under

Jötun Grunt

Rogue Elephant

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shrecknet posted:

Ok thread. Want to start a new thread game called "Would you slot it?" Where we posit older cards that were good and ask "would it see play in standard today?" Note the question is not: "would they print it", just "would it see play in tier 1/1.5 decks?"

First cards on the docket:

Plow Under

Jötun Grunt

Rogue Elephant

no
no
no

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
No next

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Plow Under would've seen play as a 1-2 of in the pre-ban ramp decks for sure. Turn 3 Plow Under and just turn your opponent's deck off until you can draw whatever you need (Nissa, Ugin, etc). As Standard currently stands no none of them go anywhere.

Although looking at that card I wonder if/when we're going to see a Plow Under at instant speed functional reprint. It is such a powerful but understated effect.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 18, 2020

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah Plow Under is disgusting and can be effectively a double Time Walk in many reasonable board states. Likely no to the other two.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When you Bloodbraid into Bonecrusher, can you cast the stomp side?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I think Uro would be eminently reasonable as an Explore that can come back and start beating for 6 and drawing a card every turn. If that's not powerful enough, how about this? "Whenever Uro enters the battlefield or attacks, you may draw a card, then you may put a land from your hand onto the battlefield. If you don't put a land from your hand onto the battlefield in this way, gain 3 life."

That way you uncouple the acceleration from the lifegain and make them choose one or another. It's a little less relevant late-game but forces acceleration or durability against aggro in the early game.

Buffing Kroxas, I think a straightup discard then a choice of "pitch a land or lose three life." would work.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The worst parts of modern magic design are stupid pushed cards like Uro, wanting things buffed into being comparable to Uro sounds awful. Get rid of that dumb card forever please.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I would like them to play with upheaval on arena. Just for a little bit, then they can ban it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

it's easy to see how you would "fix" a broken card once it's been played a million times. try getting it right the first time after you've playtested it drunk for at least 10 minutes and you gotta go to lunch anyway cause they're having a special on chicken wings in chick-fil-a or whatever

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Uro sucks but is manageable. I hope creatures stop getting yuhioh levels of words on them though. It makes the simplicity of 1/1 tokens feel real bad.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I still can't believe they didn't notice that Oko could turn opponent's permanents into Elks in playtesting. Surely they were lying when they said that to try to explain how it got passed into printing

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's either that or "the boss said 'make some card powerful as hell so this drat fairytale set will sell'"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

I still can't believe they didn't notice that Oko could turn opponent's permanents into Elks in playtesting. Surely they were lying when they said that to try to explain how it got passed into printing

Its not that they didn't notice, it's that they underestimated how effective it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah the "they didn't even notice" is telephone gamed by people who like making GBS threads on the design team

the actual quote was said offhand by a dev on an unofficial stream when she was put on the spot by the streamer to say something about oko, and she said that they underestimated how powerful the effect was when used on your opponent's stuff instead of the card's concept of mainly animating your own food.

also, speaking on making GBS threads on the design team

Julius Seizure posted:

it's easy to see how you would "fix" a broken card once it's been played a million times. try getting it right the first time after you've playtested it drunk for at least 10 minutes and you gotta go to lunch anyway cause they're having a special on chicken wings in chick-fil-a or whatever

it's worth remembering that they go through dozens of iterations of these cards over months and months and there's a relatively tiny handful of cards that get created and go all the way to the printer without getting at least one tweak. oko itself went through quite a few changes (from more official dev talk elsewhere) and joking about how they were all too drunk to see the Obvious Issues is a pretty lovely way to talk about the game