Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The more Starmer treats Corbyn like the second Hitler, the more he invites the question of why he a) worked for second Hitler for years, and b) told the British public to make second Hitler their leader just a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't really see how starmer recovers as leader from this tbh even if he lasts until the next election. pissed off literally everyone lol

lol

https://twitter.com/Drooan/status/1329026415547789314?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/Mc_Heckin_Duff/status/1329034500442042372?s=20

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
This still leaves the underlying problem for Keir "authority, integrity, unity" Starmer though: the right of the party has the ability to get itself heard, loudly, in the media; external broadly right-supporting organisations like the BoD can similarly make themselves heard, and both want Corbyn (and people with politics like him) out. The left of the party doesn't have that media accessibility. Also, the media by and large agree with the right and want to amplify that viewpoint.

So the quickest way to long-term stability in the party - maybe even the only way, given the external organisations have their own interests and can't really be threatened, bribed, or silenced - is ejection of the "disruptive elements"; that is, the left who are hated and wanted out by all the people with media access. Sure, in the short term it'll look ugly as poo poo, but in the long term it sets up a visibly stable Labour Party, united, professional, centrist, sensible grown-up politics, blah blah blah. The longer he leaves it, the more problems the anti-left elements will cause, and the worse the party looks in the media, who are entirely happy to get their teeth into some juicy drama that can bolster the anti-left position.

So I don't think it's likely that Corbyn can have the whip restored by the Leader's Office now (if it was ever theirs to restore), it'll trigger a shitshow which won't go away. Also it will be really funny if Starmer tries to pull the "er, technically I have no say in whether the whip is restored" as a way out. Or if he resigns. That would also be really funny.

jabby posted:

The more Starmer treats Corbyn like the second Hitler, the more he invites the question of why he a) worked for second Hitler for years, and b) told the British public to make second Hitler their leader just a few months ago.
I do look forward to this attack line come the next election, or indeed if Starmer ever wants to try appeasing the left

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For anyone confused about what happened here, Corbyn should (according to the Labour rulebook) have had the whip automatically restored when he was unsuspended. Starmer had to specifically block him from regaining the whip, which is within his powers as Labour leader but means that he can't hide behind Evans or the Labour disciplinary process any more (because only he could do this, and because it's an extraordinary action that he had to do deliberately).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Seriously, I think Starmer is a Tory plant. That's the only possible explanation for why he's destroyed the Labour Party for no reason and agrees with the Tories on everything

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darth Walrus posted:

For anyone confused about what happened here, Corbyn should (according to the Labour rulebook) have had the whip automatically restored when he was unsuspended. Starmer had to specifically block him from regaining the whip, which is within his powers as Labour leader but means that he can't hide behind Evans or the Labour disciplinary process any more (because only he could do this, and because it's an extraordinary action that he had to do deliberately).

It seems like such a stupid thing to do!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Seriously, I think Starmer is a Tory plant. That's the only possible explanation for why he's destroyed the Labour Party for no reason and agrees with the Tories on everything

Not Tory, MI5.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

CGI Stardust posted:

This still leaves the underlying problem for Keir "authority, integrity, unity" Starmer though: the right of the party has the ability to get itself heard, loudly, in the media; external broadly right-supporting organisations like the BoD can similarly make themselves heard, and both want Corbyn (and people with politics like him) out. The left of the party doesn't have that media accessibility. Also, the media by and large agree with the right and want to amplify that viewpoint.

So the quickest way to long-term stability in the party - maybe even the only way, given the external organisations have their own interests and can't really be threatened, bribed, or silenced - is ejection of the "disruptive elements"; that is, the left who are hated and wanted out by all the people with media access. Sure, in the short term it'll look ugly as poo poo, but in the long term it sets up a visibly stable Labour Party, united, professional, centrist, sensible grown-up politics, blah blah blah. The longer he leaves it, the more problems the anti-left elements will cause, and the worse the party looks in the media, who are entirely happy to get their teeth into some juicy drama that can bolster the anti-left position.

So I don't think it's likely that Corbyn can have the whip restored by the Leader's Office now (if it was ever theirs to restore), it'll trigger a shitshow which won't go away. Also it will be really funny if Starmer tries to pull the "er, technically I have no say in whether the whip is restored" as a way out. Or if he resigns. That would also be really funny.

I do look forward to this attack line come the next election, or indeed if Starmer ever wants to try appeasing the left

Kicking out the left is definitely the way to short-term media praise and "stability", but also almost certain electoral oblivion. The left holding their noses is what put Blair in power, it put Biden in power, and if Starmer fully breaks that coalition now there's a reasonable chance he might even lose Unite, a handful of other unions and about thirty MPs to a new party.

Perhaps he really does just care about being king of the ashes like some of his faction, but I don't know if he really wants to trigger the Lib Demification of the Labour Party.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jose posted:

lol labour saying no scottish independence untli 2026

Currently it seems pretty optimistic to think that Labour might be in a position to have a say in that before 2026.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

CGI Stardust posted:

I'm on the Tory mailing list for some reason, they've been pushing this attack line for ages

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Biggus Dickus posted:

Does anyone here regularly order stuff from China? How's it been going?

I've had two items ordered from eBay just vanish into the ether recently - a key safe and a boat antenna, so both items that would require a package as opposed to just an envelope. Tracking seems to be a hit-and-miss afair because they're both China Post, so the 3rd party trackers have their own interpretations of the results.

I suspect they are both stuck at Customs, or in a container at Felixstowe (LOL Brexit/COVID) awaiting processing but it's getting ridiculous and now I'm paranoid it's me.

I ordered a new phone battery from Ali Express back in March - $8 instead of £21 here - (just before the lockdowns) and the tracker said something along the lines of it had been shipped but was waiting a plane or some such. It took nearly 2 months to come IIRC.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

Keir's humiliation is complete. With this entire debacle, he's successfully managed to enrage both the left and right wings - the left because this happened at all, and the right because Corbyn was let back in.

If he'd just let this poo poo lie then the EHRC report would already be a distant memory.

it's almost like keir is a dumb wanker who is also a fool, and stupid

kecske posted:

Labour is populated by two disparate groups with irreconcilable ideologies and until one eradicates the other this stupid dance will go on forever

yeah say what you will about the conservatives but at least johnson managed to kick every non-brexiter to the curb and thus achieve actual, real party unity

too bad that these brexiters are completely insane and also total idiots, with a big spoonful of racism on top

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

jabby posted:

I don't think is a very good argument to make tbh, just because it supports the underlying Corbyn Bad premise and isn't really any kind of own. Starmer could just say 'loyal to the leaders office' or whatever it doesn't have any teeth.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Obviously I view most of this from the outside but I’m having a hard time seeing where labour goes from here that makes it remotely viable for leftists.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it goes in the bin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

XMNN posted:

it goes in the bin

Well that’s my question really, at what point does the left just throw up their hands and really start a new party

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I opened a tube of Pringles earlier and they're all smashed to bits, and the only way I can eat them is by leaning back and pouring the pieces into my mouth and even if the pieces get stuck in my facial hair, my clothes, my keyboard and onto the floor to get pulverised by my desk chair, I'll still be less of a fuckup than Keir Starmer.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1329035271908810752

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
So when keir resigns this week to complete his humiliation which mound of grey tasteless sludge are labour most likely to wheel out as the sensible alternative to conservatism. Fingers crossed for Ian Austin

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

Obviously I view most of this from the outside but I’m having a hard time seeing where labour goes from here that makes it remotely viable for leftists.

I'm definitely no expert on internal workings of the Labour party but a lot of this being a drama at all rather than just a complete crushing of the left seems rooted in the unions who control all of Labour's money having some genuine left-wing backbone.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

here, have some tweetman

https://wearelit.co.uk/keir-starmer-says-labour-antisemitism-isnt-just-about-corbyn-hes-wrong/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If he's a plant someone ought to have a look at it, that degree of limb sweating can't be healthy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

here, have some tweetman
At least they're honest. Honestly poo poo.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

jabby posted:

Kicking out the left is definitely the way to short-term media praise and "stability", but also almost certain electoral oblivion. The left holding their noses is what put Blair in power, it put Biden in power, and if Starmer fully breaks that coalition now there's a reasonable chance he might even lose Unite, a handful of other unions and about thirty MPs to a new party.

Perhaps he really does just care about being king of the ashes like some of his faction, but I don't know if he really wants to trigger the Lib Demification of the Labour Party.
This read depends on Starmer as seeking stability / electability / image above all else, and could well be wrong. If it is, the whole thing will become an ongoing crisis with no real way out except maaaybe a new leader.

Thinking about a few of the things centrists seem to believe,
  • a return to sensible grown-up centrist politics is what wins elections, as confirmed by the success of Tony Blair and Joe Biden
  • the left are electorally irrelevant and voters voting for them are doing so reluctantly, as confirmed by the dreadful failure of Jeremy Corbyn
  • private donors are an entirely acceptable substitute for an enthusiastic membership, as confirmed by Tony Blair
  • the left will support us anyway, we can browbeat them
I'm not sure they'd really be concerned all that much about electoral oblivion; it probably wouldn't cross their minds as a possibility.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

thanks i hate it

weren't they supposed to be pretending this entire thing isn't purely factional weaponisation of antisemitism tho?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

XMNN posted:

thanks i hate it

weren't they supposed to be pretending this entire thing isn't purely factional weaponisation of antisemitism tho?

It's not factional weaponisation if the one and only cause of antisemitism is Jeremy "Hitler didn't go far enough" Corbyn.

Oct 4, 2005

How the gently caress does Starmer manage to make every wrong decision and still receive praise from the centrists? He's not played some 4D chess master stroke here, hes hosed up again and managed to piss everyone off.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol gross i had to stop reading after "it was clear that the rot began at the top. Corbyn’s office was found guilty of intervening in the complaints process, ostensibly to prevent racists being held to account"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

six weeks btw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/WarmongerHodges/status/1328842215343448066?s=20

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

How's everyone's food stockpiles looking? Don't forget that people involved in running the support fund have said that money for building a brexit stockpile is a legit reason for applying.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This sounds a lot like understating the problem of antisemitism in the Labour Party to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

:golfclap:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

"In Labour, just as in other organisations, one person alone is not enough to generate systemic injustice on a large scale. But in reality, Keir Starmer’s statement is wrong: Labour antisemitism was really about one man. Jeremy Corbyn enabled antisemitism in the Labour Party. He did this through his incompetence in dealing with complaints, through his endorsement of an ideology that appealed to antisemites, and in his direct interference in the complaints process."

I vomited unexpectly and burst blood vessels in both my eyes. I'm at work help.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

"his endorsement of an ideology that appealed to antisemites" shoot me in the loving head

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wearelit? Nono, Lit is definitely the wrong word here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Impressed you went through the effort of stitching this image together instead of just posting the ready-available image multiple times